• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4 Pro Tech Video

Harlequin

Candyland: Rise of the Tomb Raider – PS4 Pro 1080p Enhaced Visuals vs. PS4 Graphics Comparison

Not really much difference. Game looks almost the same, and i have to say that i expected more from this 1080p/30fps mode on Pro.

I'm only 30 seconds in and the comparison is already proving itself worthless. For example, they're comparing the hair in a cutscene which makes no sense whatsoever as the cutscene hair is the same across both versions. The whole "cinematic hair" feature means that the same kind of high-quality hair that all current-gen versions use in cutscenes will also be used during gameplay so they'd need to use actual gameplay sequences for the comparison.

EDIT: Plus, the whole point of the sun soft shadows is that they get softer with distance and they pick a scene where the occluding object is very close to the occluded surface so obviously there won't be much of a difference there. (On a sidenote, I can't believe I'm actually "defending" Rise but in this case it kind of deserves it.)

EDIT2: Something is off with the tesselation comparison, too... I guess they're using adaptive tesselation where an object is only tesselated when you're close to it and they were simply too far away in that shot (they did have to zoom in to even see that wall detail, after all). Because from what I can see, there's no tesselation going on in that PS4 Pro shot whatsoever. (Okay, I rewatched the official PS4 Pro Tech video and it looks like the tesselation on that wall simply isn't very noticeable either way.)

EDIT3: And the texture filtering comparison is a bit of a joke. There are so many nice floor surfaces in the game that you could've used to show that off but they pick some out-of-focus background rocks? LOL.

So yeah, some of that is just down to whoever made that video doing a bad job, some of it is probably Syria not being a great location for the comparison. I think if they'd done it in the Geothermal Valley, you'd see more of a difference.

For some reason I was thinking the 1080p enriched mode was the supersampled mode, but it's not? I have a 1080p TV, will this game allow me to select the 4k mode so that I can receive super sampling, or is there no supersampling for this game? Thanks.

The problem i have with the enhanced mode is that it's still jaggy as fuck.
So i'll pick any downsampled mode available.

Will we get downsampled graphics on a 1080p display if we choose the 4K mode in this game?

This is my take on it too. Jaggies are the worst. So unless a game has some amazing built in AA solution, I'll be 'stuck' picking supersampling every time.

Still, ss is hardly something to complain about.

For some reason I was thinking the 1080p enriched mode was the supersampled mode, but it's not? I have a 1080p TV, will this game allow me to select the 4k mode so that I can receive super sampling, or is there no supersampling for this game? Thanks.

Yes you have three choices:

"4K Mode"= Supersampling @ 30fps
"High Framerate Mode"=1080p target 60fps
" HQ "= 1080p with pumped graphics @30fps

Thanks; I was confused. Glad I read this topic b/c I def. would have chosen "enriched." I'll be selecting Supersampling for sure.

4k is 30fps, not unlocked.

in the OP video he says they "target" 30 FPS. that wording leads me to expect a variable sub-30 framerate

If they can't maintain 1080p at 60fps, I really doubt they're going to keep a locked 30fps at "4k", checkerboard or not

see, that's what is weird to me. So, the 1080p unlocked mode is super sampled from the 4K frame buffer, but the 4K mode is locked at 30fps... they are essentially the same thing aren't they? unless the 1080p unlocked mode is super sampled from the frame buffer before checkerboarding to 4k occurs...

Harlequin

see, that's what is weird to me. So, the 1080p unlocked mode is super sampled from the 4K frame buffer, but the 4K mode is locked at 30fps... they are essentially the same thing aren't they? unless the 1080p unlocked mode is super sampled from the frame buffer before checkerboarding to 4k occurs...

AFAIK, 1080p unlocked isn't super-sampled at all. It's exactly the same as the standard PS4 version just with an unlocked framerate.

AFAIK, 1080p unlocked isn't super-sampled at all. It's exactly the same as the standard PS4 version just with an unlocked framerate.

one of the 1080p modes on the pro is super sampled. the digital foundry comparison video highlights the image quality at 1080p when running on the pro...

Harlequin

one of the 1080p modes on the pro is super sampled. the digital foundry comparison video highlights the image quality at 1080p when running on the pro...

I haven't seen that video but perhaps they just meant when you choose the 4K mode but are playing on a 1080p screen?

Bramble

So if I understand correctly, we can select 4K mode on a 1080p TV and get supersampling visuals?

But then it would still be 1080p. What is the difference with the HQ mode then?

I haven't seen that video but perhaps they just meant when you choose the 4K mode but are playing on a 1080p screen?

ah, i see. i didn't realize selecting 4k mode on a 1080p tv was an option. this all makes sense now. i'll be going the 4k mode route then. image quality looks fantastic in the df video and i'm cool with 30fps in a game like this.

Jacob4815

So if I understand correctly, we can select 4K mode on a 1080p TV and get supersampling visuals?

But then it would still be 1080p. What is the difference with the HQ mode then?

Supersampling is usually automatic for a PS4 Pro connected to a 1080p TV.

In Rise of Tomb Raider there are three options in the settings and DF shows the 1080p supersampled mode (4k mode) in a 1080p TV.

The main difference between Enhanced 1080p an 1080p supersampled are the jaggies. Image is cleaner and anti-aliasing very noticeable in the supersampled visuals.
We have two videos in low quality for the Enhanced Visuals, but they look jaggied as hell.

Bramble

Supersampling is usually automatic for a PS4 Pro connected to a 1080p TV.

In Rise of Tomb Raider there are three options in the settings and DF shows the 1080p supersampled mode (4k mode) in a 1080p TV.

The main difference between Enhanced 1080p an 1080p supersampled are the jaggies. Image is cleaner and anti-aliasing very noticeable in the supersampled visuals.
We have two videos in low quality for the Enhanced Visuals, but they look jaggied as hell.

But why add the enhanced mode then? If 4K looks better and is also 30fps, everyone is gonna choose that, right? Or does Enhanced offer extra effects etc. in comparison to 4K?

Jacob4815

But why add the enhanced mode then? If 4K looks better and is also 30fps, everyone is gonna choose that, right? Or does Enhanced offer extra effects etc. in comparison to 4K?

Of course Enhanced offers extra effects, increased lod, hardware tesselations, cinematic hair and others.. you can find the list in the first posts of this thread.

The discussion in the last pages is how these extra effects are implemented.
And if these extras are better than supersampling.
According on the last videos, the answer is no, image quality of supersampling looks better.

But we are waiting for more comparisons.

Bramble

Of course Enhanced offers extra effects, increased lod, hardware tesselations, cinematic hair and others.. you can find the list in the first posts of this thread.

The discussion in the last pages is how these extra effects are implemented.
And if these extras are better than supersampling.
According on the last videos, the answer is no, image quality of supersampling looks better.

But we are waiting for more comparisons.

Damn, will try all 3 of them then.

Top Bottom