• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen | Official Thread (PC/PC/PC/360) -- RPG from Gothic creators

Kevtones

So I'm silly and playing it on 360/absolutely love it. The world is very well-realized and the infinite inventory allows me to actually enjoy myself (fuck weight!).

Great game, totally addicted. Just did the bitchin' Eastern Temple.

Just completed Risen on PC. The game was great!
I was kind of surprised at how small the world was at first but after playing for a while and seeing how much stuff there was to find I didn't really care. The enviroments also feel more handcrafted and "unique" compared to something like Oblivion where the dungeons seemed to be almost randomly generated.
I also enjoyed the combat a lot more than oblivions thanks to no level scaling. The fact that there was no loot scaling also made exploring more fun.
I sided with the Don and had a lot of fun sneaking behind peoples back and stealing everything they own. I also like how none of the factions were really "good" or "evil" and that they both had good and bad sides.
I would highly recommend this game and I'm now very excited for the sequel.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
papersleeves said:
Hi. I just bought this game for 360. Is there any other pc-style RPG on the 360 that I am unaware of ?
No, but the PC you're writing from can probably handle Gothic II which is better than all of them put together.

...Unless it's an Apple thingie...

papersleeves said:
Hi. I just bought this game for 360. Is there any other pc-style RPG on the 360 that I am unaware of ?
Two Worlds 2 is the bomb diggity. Run do not walk to your nearest purveyor of fine games to get it (once you're done with Risen.) The GOTY version comes with the also excellent Pirates of the Flying Fortress expansion.

Labadal

papersleeves said:
I've already played the Gothic series, except for Arcania. So there's absolutely nothing else outside of Risen and Arcania ? Sad face :(

Risen 2 is releasing next year.

If you want a game now Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga is good enough.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ah, forgot Two Worlds II. Much better game than I expected, especially after you get past that first town you teleport too. Don't expect an epic story but just wandering about and exploring the areas and killing shit is fun, there's a lot of variety in the environments too, and some good quests (like the shady stuff in the academy).

It's not exactly a memorable experience (evidently) but I was hooked for as long as it lasted me.

Neuromancer said:
Are you not interested in Two Worlds 2 then?

Sorry, my last post took much longer than expected to post so it came out after all of the replies.

Yes I might be interested in Two Worlds II and DKS. They are a bit pricy compared to Risen though, which I got for barely $15.

bumping this one...

Started playing this game and it's great... but i got some questions:

i am currently level 3 and in the Don's camp... doing quests left and right but i need some pointers on how to get better gear!

i mean i got this wooden shield, a regular sword that does like 15 damage and a crossbow.. and that is IT! i don't even have armor damnit, not even those stupid "worker clothes" :(

any tips on how to get gear or at least money a bit faster instead of selling off insect legs or whatever since that seems to take forever!

also: if i don't wanna join the Don for good should i keep doing the quests up to a certain point and THEN run off and do other quests?

Labadal

bumping this one...

Started playing this game and it's great... but i got some questions:

i am currently level 3 and in the Don's camp... doing quests left and right but i need some pointers on how to get better gear!

i mean i got this wooden shield, a regular sword that does like 15 damage and a crossbow.. and that is IT! i don't even have armor damnit, not even those stupid "worker clothes" :(

any tips on how to get gear or at least money a bit faster instead of selling off insect legs or whatever since that seems to take forever!

also: if i don't wanna join the Don for good should i keep doing the quests up to a certain point and THEN run off and do other quests?

You will gain new armour when you do enough quests for the faction you decide to join.

You don't have to join the Don for good. You can do some quests for him, and then go to Harbour Town and do quests there. I did as many quests I could before deciding wich faction I would side with.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So just got this as a gift from the holiday sale but either tages servers are hammered or this game just wont activate! I've been stuck on communicating with server forever and manual activation doesn't work. Anyone whose dealt with this before kno how to fix it?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hey guys,

I know its not the right thread, but someone here might actually appreciate my offer, so here it goes:

Anyone who wants to have Risen (Steam) for 10 bucks? If you are interested in buying me Tropico 1-3 Collection (10 bucks), I'd send you Risen as gift (currently on sale for 20 bucks).

Just read the impressions on this thread page, the game is not as bad as some people make it out to be.
Anyone interested, please pm me.

So just got this as a gift from the holiday sale but either tages servers are hammered or this game just wont activate! I've been stuck on communicating with server forever and manual activation doesn't work. Anyone whose dealt with this before kno how to fix it?

I'm getting exactly the same problem. I'm waiting for Steam support to get back to me.

Edit: Nelo, I just tried again on a whim & the activation worked this time. Presumably the server(s) handling the authentication process were out of action over the holiday weekend for some reason and are now operational again. It took the bastards 36 hours - the two evenings I actually had free to play the game - but they got there in the end.

So I downloaded the demo, and I seem to be having some framerate problems.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
8GB RAM
Radeon (TM) HD 6770M

I pass all the recommended specs, and yet even on most of the settings set to low I only get 55 fps. With everything turned up I get 34 fps. What's the deal here?

For comparison, I get a stable 60 fps in Mass Effect 2, Sonic Generations, and Fallout New Vegas with things set to Medium-High.

Killing depth of field didn't seem to do anything.

I got 40fps with textures on high and everything else set to medium. Then I set textures on medium and changed lowered the AA and I'm still only pulling 40fps. That doesn't seem right.

With AA on X16 and textures on medium I got 38...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Are you forcing AA through your drivers? If I remember correctly, you can't set it in-game. I have a GTX460, when I force 8XMSAA through Nvidia Inspector, my frame rate is about the same when playing Risen. It's pretty taxing. Without any forced AA, it runs around 50-60fps. Have you tried lowering shadow quality? IIRC, that gave me a modest FPS boost.

Are you forcing AA through your drivers? If I remember correctly, you can't set it in-game. I have a GTX460, when I force 8XMSAA through Nvidia Inspector, my frame rate is about the same. It's pretty taxing. Without any forced AA, it runs around 50-60fps. Have you tried lowering shadow quality? IIRC, that gave me a modest FPS boost.

Lowering shadow quality got me up to 45. But it seems like changing all the other settings is only the difference between 2-5 frames.

And I'm not forcing AA through my drivers. There is an ingame option to change the AA though.

goober

So I downloaded the demo, and I seem to be having some framerate problems.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
8GB RAM
Radeon (TM) HD 6770M

I pass all the recommended specs, and yet even on most of the settings set to low I only get 55 fps. With everything turned up I get 34 fps. What's the deal here?

For comparison, I get a stable 60 fps in Mass Effect 2, Sonic Generations, and Fallout New Vegas with things set to Medium-High.

Is the 6770M anything like the 6720G2? I've been thinking about picking this up, but if I'll have problems running it, then :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
it does? runs pretty smooth for me but i'm all for making it look better

Yep. It adds an ugly blur effect to everything a certain distance away. It's like Ewan McGregor stopped taking his glaucoma meds.

Quick and dirty example.

DOF OFF:

0f768bf90366a58ef7652b22642ed8b03fb6797c.jpg

DOF ON:

e3b81cb892d68665af2aa61f382084481a11318f.jpg

On the plus size, DoF does help hide those ugly low res trees in the background.

So I am playing the game and finally have some learning points and met a trainer.

Question: I am planning on siding with
the Order, and becoming either a mage or Warrior of the Order. If I go WotO how should I invest my points? Strength, staff training, and then one of the crystal magic spells? If I go pure mage do I just neglect all weapon/strength training?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I am playing the game and finally have some learning points and met a trainer.

Question: I am planning on siding with
the Order, and becoming either a mage or Warrior of the Order. If I go WotO how should I invest my points? Strength, staff training, and then one of the crystal magic spells? If I go pure mage do I just neglect all weapon/strength training?

Yea I'd focus on one of the crystal magic spells, even a pure wizard should focus on one.

Yea I'd focus on one of the crystal magic spells, even a pure wizard should focus on one.

Why should a mage focus only on one though? Does a mage need any points spent on strength, and staff/sword training?

Or does it take almost all your learning points to master a single magic?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why should a mage focus only on one though? Does a mage need any points spent on strength, and staff/sword training?

Or does it take almost all your learning points to master a single magic?

You need to buff up your rune magic and wisdom stats.

Ricker

Goddammit, I loved this game.

But that last major fetch quest was awful and I never finished it. I fucking hate last second fetch quests.

You are lucky in a way,you didn't get to witness/fight the awful end Boss,which I never could beat,my only nitpick for this game,the ride there was fantastic,can't wait for Risen 2,hopefully the sense of exploring and progression is just as good.

This game worth 7.25? Read mixed reviews on this page alone.

I think it is worth $7.25.

I bought it for $15.00.

You need to buff up your rune magic and wisdom stats.

I don't think wisdom is raised by teachers. You need to read bookstands. And rune magic is only 3 ranks IIRC.

edit:

Decided to go WoTO for my first playthrough. I'll go Ice Magic since I hear it is nice support. It will be fun to play a battlemage.

goober

Played around a while. The fighting is fun, but it takes some getting used to.

I get around 37-45 fps with texture and effect detail on high, with medium everything else.

Anistropic is off, so is depth of field, i believe shadows are low too.

Seriously thinking about picking this up now.

This game worth 7.25? Read mixed reviews on this page alone.

It's a very fun game if you like the Gothic style of RPGs. About 40 hours long, split into 4 acts. The first 2 last 30 hours and are incredible. The last 2 take up the remaining 10 hours and it kind of goes down the drain near the end but on the whole it's well worth playing. For 7$ you should definitely pick it up.

Not sure if I made the right decision when I went with staff combat. Whatever. I had to use some serious save scumming to beat
Master Aric
during my training.

I'll leave sword&board for my Don playthrough.

Also just when I start owning every animal I come across the game throws some fucking war crickets at me. :(

So how do you deal with two or more enemies at once?

Very very carefully.

I find it easier to deal with multiple "human" combatants than animal ones. Though I use a staff which means I need to dodge a lot of animal blows I could normally block with a shield.

Just wait for openings. Wait for both of them to swing once, and then when they finish just do a single attack, or two attacks if you feel you have a good opening. It takes awhile, and you might still lose even while being careful if the enemies far outclass you.

Make use of blocking and backpedaling. Some of the group is bound to stay a bit further back, helping to even out the odds temporarily. I had a group of 4-5 Talon Moths attacking me. I got them all in front of me, and backpedaled a bit while blocking. 3 of them stayed a bit further back, and didn't attack me while I swung at the 2 right in front of my face. Just be careful not to backpedal too much especially in open areas. Enemies might try to flank you if you move too much.

edit: You can also make great use of quicksaving (F8).

Also this game does things to me. I wanted to go to the Big Swamp 3 hours ago. Then I see little detours and the next thing I know I am taking on a camp full of undead. Then I go back and try to head to the Big Swamp, and I see another detour...

Jesus this game has made exploration fun.

Also: Fuck ghouls.

Back yourself into a narrow passage or opening, so they can't flank you.

Not always available. Sometimes enemies are grouped out in an open area. Gnomes do that really often.

edit:

UNFUCKING BELIEVABLE!!!!

SHIIIIIIT. I had been using up every Ogreroot and Pixiehat I came across, and now I just learned Alchemy 3. Fuck that is a lot of potential statpoints lost. FUCK FUCK FUCK.

edit 2:

Seriously, fuck ghouls. I can't beat them :(

edit 3:

So mad I wasted all those Ogreroots. Tempted to restart the game and join the Don.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So just how bad is this game on the 360? I've been thinking about picking it up from Games On Demand for $20.

Labadal

So just how bad is this game on the 360? I've been thinking about picking it up from Games On Demand for $20.

I played the Xbox 360 version and I have to say that this is the worst port I have ever seen. I still finished and enjoyed the game since I did not have a PC that was good enough to run the game.

Hoover1979

Neo Member
Isn't this game also banned in Australia? :(

It is banned by the Nanny state of Australia for drug use and sex as incentive or reward.
Any game that has drugs (real or made up) or sex as rewards is insta-banned unless the devs make a namby pamby censored version for Australia, as most devs refuse to make a seperate version with the good bits cut out, in most cases the games are banned.

before the R18+ for games all games that had dismemberment or displays of entrails were insta-banned (Look at Left 4 Dead) but some games (Like manhunt 1 & 2) will forever be banned in Australia as will others like it now and forever. Just buy them over a V.P.N. or get the games in bundles. I am in Australia and I got Risen on Steam on a HumbleBundle.

Top Bottom