• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Road to E3 - Spider-Man (PS4)

RootCause

Can't wait to see melee combat. And please, let there be plenty of side quest content, maybe randomly generated crimes to keep us busy after the main campaign.

Can't wait to see melee combat. And please, let there be plenty of side quest content, maybe randomly generated crimes to keep us busy after the main campaign.
Maybe they can do it like Batman Arkham Knight with all the side content being linked to other known criminals in the verse.

farisr

Honestly, I'm pretty much sure that the combat, the main missions and story and what not are going to be solid. Aside from the swinging mechanics, the thing I'm most curious about is the open-world, side content, and if there are randomly generated missions. It'd be interesting if side-content/missions did dealt with specific gangs and what not which had their own mini-story arc finishing with a bossfight against a known villain that may not be part of the main story.

Also, it'd be awesome if they blew it out of the water with randomly generated mission variety in the open world. The other games basically just had like 5 or 6 mission types that just repeated over and over.

On the one hand, part of me goes "well they're giving it the first party treatment, they'll do it right" but then another part of me goes "well Second Son was a fully owned first party game and its open world mission variety wasn't all that great"

The God

Maybe they can do it like Batman Arkham Knight with all the side content being linked to other known criminals in the verse.

This would be the best. Give about 5 villains and /or heroes their own side stories that are loosely connected to the main story

Daredevil
Wolverine (dream)
Kingpin
Electro
Vulture/Doc Ock/Mysterio

On the one hand, part of me goes "well they're giving it the first party treatment, they'll do it right" but then another part of me goes "well Second Son was a fully owned first party game and its open world mission variety wasn't all that great"
Second Son was also a rushed launch/first year title.

This would be the best. Give about 5 villains and /or heroes their own side stories that are loosely connected to the main story

Daredevil
Wolverine (dream)
Kingpin
Electro
Vulture/Doc Ock/Mysterio
Yeah, they can all be weaved into the main campaign and even impact it in different ways. It would be pretty cool if done right. I would also take fewer of those characters if it means they can be fleshed out more.

15523.gif

15522.gif

15521.gif

15520.gif

P7IPWNQ.gif

siQP8U7.gif

cGZcrsN.gif

Good lord. Can't wait to see more of this!

jsteeveeee where u at

This was my game of show last year but I've slowly put it to the back of my mind and even Homecoming doesn't have me excited.

But when I saw this, especially seeing that suit again, it all came flooding back. Too bad Homecoming's suit does nothing for me. But THIS! This makes me want to BE Spider-Man.

It had a steep learning curve to master it, but once you did it was the most perfect replication of an actual superhero ability ever committed to a game. There was a purity to the swinging action once you got good at it, a sort of flow that somehow made it feel like web slinging was an actual possibility in the world. It was a joyous feeling, the most unambiguous representation of Peter Parker's exuberance upon first learning how to web sling himself.

Trust me you guys who don't understand may think physics-based swinging is an odd request, but when you play it it'll change your superhero videogame playin' life.

Anticipate a release date and which games do you think the creators looked at as the basis for their inspiration.

He can be in this one and a sequel too, and he won't be the only one getting shine.

Makes perfect sense to have Venom introduced in this one

That and the fact that the makers probably are working on a clean slate and not worried if using a particular villain in their game would risk overexposure, as they're not working from the older games as a continuum.

Nev

Banned
I can't see how this can have better transversal than Spider-Man 2 but let's see.

Anyways colors look horribly muted. It's a goddamn comic ffs. I mean, it doesn't have to look like Sunset Overdrive or be cell shaded but jesus, throw some colors in. I'm tired of this shitty realistic/gritty approach for everything.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
15521.gif

Speaking of this gif, I just checked Insomniac's site and the description says the game will feature a new parkour system. So this won't be just a QTE scene.

Starring the world’s most iconic Super Hero, Spider-Man PS4 (working title) features the acrobatic abilities, improvisation and web-slinging that the wall-crawler is famous for, while also introducing elements never-before-seen in a Spider-Man game. From traversing with parkour and utilizing the environment, to new combat and blockbuster set pieces, it’s Spider-Man unlike any you’ve played before.

Marvel and Insomniac Games have teamed up to create a brand-new and authentic Spider-Man story. This isn’t the Spider-Man you’ve met before, or seen in a movie. This is an experienced Peter Parker who’s more masterful at fighting big crime in New York City. At the same time he’s struggling to balance his chaotic personal life and career while the fate of nine million New Yorkers rests upon his shoulders.

http://www.insomniacgames.com/games/spider-man-ps4/

Looking forward to traversal. That will be a very important element. How fast is general traversal? What type of maneuvers can I pull off? Are there a bunch of unique environment interactions? Etc...

cheesekao

I hope that the melee combat system isn't in the vein of the Batman Arkham games. We have more than enough of games with it. Surprise me Insomniac.

Alastor3

I want this game to have cool mechanics, and a deep combat.
I want it to have lots of characters from all over Spidey and Marvel's universes.
I want it to be sandbox, with lots of activities and events.
I want it to have some epic as fuck set pieces.
I want it to have a good plot.
I want it to be intimate, and focused on Peter Parker and his struggles, not only on the "game-y" aspect of Spiderman.

Damn i want thos game to be so many things, i don't know how many of them will actually be a thing.
But i'm sure whatever it will be its going to be spectacular.

I'll say it gonna have all of this except for epic set pieces, peter parker struggles and somewhat good plot.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'll say it gonna have all of this except for epic set pieces, peter parker struggles and somewhat good plot.

Starring the world’s most iconic Super Hero, Spider-Man PS4 (working title) features the acrobatic abilities, improvisation and web-slinging that the wall-crawler is famous for, while also introducing elements never-before-seen in a Spider-Man game. From traversing with parkour and utilizing the environment, to new combat and blockbuster set pieces, it’s Spider-Man unlike any you’ve played before.

Marvel and Insomniac Games have teamed up to create a brand-new and authentic Spider-Man story. This isn’t the Spider-Man you’ve met before, or seen in a movie. This is an experienced Peter Parker who’s more masterful at fighting big crime in New York City. At the same time he’s struggling to balance his chaotic personal life and career while the fate of nine million New Yorkers rests upon his shoulders.

blockbuster set pieces? check
peter parker struggles? check
somewhat good plot? check

2017-05-2104_07_12-spujzhz.png

Khasim

15520.gif

This gif gives me much hope for the swinging. The first Amazing Spider-Man game had the momentum and the feeling of speed nailed, but it also had cloud swinging, which destroyed the experience. This one looks like the web actually attaches to buildings now and the momentum looks good as well.

Also, no way this is coming out on PC too, right? :(

15520.gif

This gif gives me much hope for the swinging. The first Amazing Spider-Man game had the momentum and the feeling of speed nailed, but it also had cloud swinging, which destroyed the experience. This one looks like the web actually attaches to buildings now and the momentum looks good as well.

Nope.

15520.gif

You can also see that the string isn't stretched out until he hits the bottom of his swinging arc, indicating that he had lost a bit of height between this swing and the previous one. Pretty cool.

mazillion

15521.gif

Speaking of this gif, I just checked Insomniac's site and the description says the game will feature a new parkour system. So this won't be just a QTE scene.

http://www.insomniacgames.com/games/spider-man-ps4/

It could still be a canned animation. Assassin's Creed 3 featured parkour too but when you jump through building windows it would play a canned animation of Connor running though the house in a similar flashy way to what the Spidey is doing here.

But Insomniac did make Sunset Overdrive so who knows what they have up their sleeves in terms of creative movement systems.

iFirez

I've really come around to it and think it looks great. Plus it gives the game a unique identity.

I've come around to it to, I didn't hate it to begin with and it resembles to new MCU suit a lot but with its own flare and identity. I imagine it may be altered a little if we do see it this E3 but they'll be alt-suits and outfits for sure for those who aren't fond of it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Looking forward to seeing the new Parkour system and what they've learned from Susnset Overdrive. This is going to be one sexy looking game in motion and hopefully feels amazing to play too.

Just don't expect them to hit a 2017 release date.

ITSMILNER

I really want a dynamic weather system along with a Day/Night cycle, imagine swinging through NY during a night time thunderstorm!

I also hope they take cues from some of Sunset Overdrives boss fights, hoping for aerial battles with the Green Goblin

Any chance this is actually coming out 2017?

They made and released Sunset Overdrive in 3 years, so there is a small chance, if development is going smoothly. They started on this in 2014 right after Sunset Overdrive, so this has been in development for 3 years now.

That trailer was supposedly in engine footage from a PS4, so it's looking like things are going well for it to look that good last year.

October is looking nice now that Red Dead Redemption 2 has been delayed :( Spider-Man would certainly make up for that.

dan2026

This better be absolutely chock full of spider-man villains to fight.

Fighting generic thugs is fine for a while.
But they need to nail the boss fights like Arkham City did.

Also we haven't seen this thing really since that E3 trailer, sure we got that small tiny look at it during the Pro reveal, but that didn't really count. I hope they deliver.

VanWinkle

This is the perfect side quest game. Spiderman going around helping random people. Insomniac, please give us a bunch of interesting little side stories.

yurinka

Spider-Man PS4 Review
By: Arthur Gies, Polygon
SCORE: 7.0

"With its cutting edge use of physics that finally expand upon Spider-Man 2's iconic webslinging action and phenomenal mission design that gives each choice and scenario a dynamic feeling that consistently keeps you on your toes and engaged, this may very well be the best Spider-Man game ever made, if not the best superhero game of the latest generation.

Unfortunately, Insomniac made the dimwitted decision to force players to utilize this garish white spider costume, and for our money it distracts during every moment you play. We simply cannot overlook a flaw so damning and, dare we say, unglamorous."
Amazing! :D

Anyone else get very weird vibes on the tone of the video? To me it looks borderline fanboyish in it's way to cover the game - wich doesn't sit well with how a big outlet like IGN should approach games coverage.

But perhaps it's just me.

This is probably my most anticipated game. Spider-Man 2 & Ultimate Spider-Man were treasures and it staggers the mind that all following Spider-Man games have missed the mark so badly.

Top Bottom