• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

No matter what, I could never get the calibration settings to feel right on RB3 since release, and it's always bothered me, and makes RB way less enjoyable. I've been able to get the settings good enough on all the other ones (Track Packs and Band games included). I've tried using the auto with the guitar, and manually with my drums. Anyone got any ideas? Anyone know how off it is from RB2 settings?

I play using VGA cables [16x10 with black borders], Digital Optical, in game Bass Boost, and in game Overscan.

littleornothin

Neo Member
Was a couple of months since I last played but just bought the Country Mega-pack and was hyped playing 21 songs in a row. But the game keeps crashing to xmb, randomly.
Never happened before. Managed to play 5 songs, with 3 restarts :\

Is this a widely known bug with these songs or what? My searches only came up with posts of this problem that were dated way back. Am cry... :'(

AllenShrz

Was a couple of months since I last played but just bought the Country Mega-pack and was hyped playing 21 songs in a row. But the game keeps crashing to xmb, randomly...

That is the problem, uninstall it, don't ever tell anyone that you paid money to country music and it may work again.

RB3 was just made available for GoD in XBL.

Does anyone know if the digital version supports importing the song libraries from RB1 & RB2?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
RB3 was just made available for GoD in XBL.

Does anyone know if the digital version supports importing the song libraries from RB1 & RB2?

Yep. The 'imports' are basically just DLC generated by the older discs. Rock Band 3 itself won't export into any RB4 or other future Rock Bands, though.

Yep. The 'imports' are basically just DLC generated by the older discs. Rock Band 3 itself won't export into any RB4 or other future Rock Bands, though.

How does it work with the digital version?

With importing RB1 into RB2 it required a code which was on the RB2 manual with the physical copy. With the digital version of RB3 will it require/come with a code or do I just rip the entire RB2 game to my HDD?

Hop

How does it work with the digital version?

With importing RB1 into RB2 it required a code which was on the RB2 manual with the physical copy. With the digital version of RB3 will it require/come with a code or do I just rip the entire RB2 game to my HDD?

RB3 has no bearing on your ability or process of exporting RB1 and RB2. Physical or digital, it's the same thing.

Ridley327

Exporting RB1 was done in RB1 itself; all you need to do is pay $5/400 Allards for the export key and it'll start ripping tracks. No code required at all.

No matter what, I could never get the calibration settings to feel right on RB3 since release, and it's always bothered me, and makes RB way less enjoyable. I've been able to get the settings good enough on all the other ones (Track Packs and Band games included). I've tried using the auto with the guitar, and manually with my drums. Anyone got any ideas? Anyone know how off it is from RB2 settings?

I play using VGA cables [16x10 with black borders], Digital Optical, in game Bass Boost, and in game Overscan.

Are you using Dolby Digital? There's an option to turn it on/off in the audio settings, and having it on introduces severe lag.

Shiggy

Does only RB3 support the keyboard? RB3+keyboard is currently available for 30€, but I'm not really interested in the songlist of RB3.

Does only RB3 support the keyboard? RB3+keyboard is currently available for 30€, but I'm not really interested in the songlist of RB3.

Yes. Although any DLC that has keys after RB3's release will support it as well, including some songs from the past that they've re-released.

Bebpo

Banned
Hey, I started playing this a month ago and I was SUPER CONFUSED coming from someone who played every Guitar game since GH1. Basically...I couldn't figure out where the career mode/world tour/single player mode was.

All I saw where a ton of challenge set lists and so I started with a guitar one and it's like 12 songs in a row. Then there's other challenges with other songs.

Is that how you play the game? Just do each challenge setlist? Or is there an actual go around and play venues single player mode hidden in here somewhere. Or does it require you to play with a full 4 person band to do that?

Haven't played the game for a few weeks so it's a bit fuzzy but I was very confused when I tried to play it and so I dropped it.

Montresor

What are all the free songs in Rock Band 3? The music store is massive and doesn't let you hone in on just the free songs! I want to make sure I have them all.

1) The four free single tracks that came out during RB2's lifespan

Charlene (I'm Right Behind You) by Stephen and the Colberts
Promised Land by Vesuvius
Headphones On by Miranda Cosgrove
Still Alive by Glados

2) The free 20-song pack for those who bought new copies of RB2

"Sons and Daughters" by The 88
"No Regrets" by Authority Zero
"Prequel To The Sequel" by Between the Buried and Me
"Bounce" by The Cab
"Get It On" by The Chevelles
"Give It To Me" by The Cocktail Slippers
"Database Corrupted" by Dealership
"I Wanna Be Your Man" by Endeverafter
"Ashes To Fire" by The Ghost Hounds
"Young" by Hollywood Undead
"The Feeling" by Kutless
"If I Ain't Got You" by The Len Price 3
"I'm Gone, I'm Going" by Lesley Roy
"Burn You Down" by Opiate for the Masses
"Magnetic Baby" by Semi-Precious Weapons
"Like a Fool" by Shaimus
"Crazy Tuesday" by Thenewno2
"The Time Is Wrong" by Tickle Me Pink
"Desperate Times, Desperate Measures" by Underoath
"I.V." by X Japan

3) All the Harmonix band RB2 set list songs that weren't included in the Rock Band 2 import

Visions by Abnormality
Get Clean by Anarchy Club
Night Lies by Bang Camaro
Shoulder to the Plow by Breaking Wheel
Welcome to the Neighborhood by Lybians
A Jagged Gorgeous Winter by The Main Drag
Conventional Lover by Speck
Supreme Girl by The Sterns
Rob the Prez-O-Dent by That Handsome Devil

Am I missing anything else? I got Rock Band 3 earlier this January after a hiatus from the RB franchise and so I've been out of the loop for awhile.

XShagrath

What are all the free songs in Rock Band 3? The music store is massive and doesn't let you hone in on just the free songs! I want to make sure I have them all.

You're missing:

Lights Resolve - Dreaming of Love
Little Fish - Am I Crazy?
Various Artists - Rock Band Network Megamix 01

Those are the only ones I could find and/or remember that weren't on your list.

Montresor

You're missing:

Lights Resolve - Dreaming of Love
Little Fish - Am I Crazy?
Various Artists - Rock Band Network Megamix 01

Those are the only ones I could find and/or remember that weren't on your list.

Thanks man!

Heart of Glass is such an awesome set list song. I've been slowly going through the list... and a bit surprised at how much I dislike it when compared to Rock Band 2 and Rock Band 1. But it doesn't matter a bit, because all the DLC and 99% of the RB1 and RB2 songs can be played here any way.

But Heart of Glass really stands out as an amazing song. Love Blondie. Hanging On The Telephone has been one of my fav DLC for years. <3

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Heart of Glass really is an awesome tune. one of my favorites from the Rock Band 3 setlist. Blondie <3 <3

Montresor

I finally beat every RB3 song on expert. =D It took a little cheesing and I definitely feel dirty about it. I'm mostly a drummer so almost every song was 5-starred on drums. Beast And The Harlot though has a ridiculous solo that I can't even pass. I can hit everything else just not the solo. Thanks to no-fail, I easily five-starred the song without having to hit more than a few notes on the solo. That is cheap as hell.

I also couldn't five-star Jerry Was a Race Car Driver on drums or even pass Llama on drums. I had to vox 5-star Jerry and play guitar keys to 5-star Llama.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The only songs I need to five star on Expert are Llama and Antibodies. Those two songs are impossible on guitar/bass for me. I also have a mic, but I don't sing at expert level yet and every time I try to sing Antibodies, I just can't hit a single phrase. Fuck those two songs.

Montresor

The only songs I need to five star on Expert are Llama and Antibodies. Those two songs are impossible on guitar/bass for me. I also have a mic, but I don't sing at expert level yet and every time I try to sing Antibodies, I just can't hit a single phrase. Fuck those two songs.

Llama is very manageable (I'd say downright easy) on expert guitar keys! That's how I got my Llama 5-star and I'm not that good on expert guitar. If you've 5-starred 50 guitar songs on medium (and I think 3-star on higher difficulties) then you unlock the ability to play key charts on the guitar.

Montresor

Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but it's already been 100% confirmed that they don't intend to let you export RB3 to RB4? What about the DLC?

----

The more I play RB3 the more I love it. <3 All the improvements to the song list are worth a new game alone: the ability to sort by and filter through categories (decade, genre, length, etc...), the ability to rate songs (makes it easier to find your favourite DLC), and the ability to save a setlist and share it with others, among other things. I spent the last hour going through my song list and making the following two setlists.

Female Singers Setlist: I don't intend to ever play this, but I made it to document all my favourite songs (on discs and DLC combined) that have female singers.

DLC Setlist: This is pretty much a random assortment of 5-lighter rated songs. I'm probably gonna play this with my friends the next time we get together. =D

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
RB3 overall is good. I like that the songs loads faster now and the overshell menu stuff, but the thing I hate are the awful...AWFUL character and stage animations. They are a major step back from RB 2 it's not even funny. They glitch way more too. That and the lack of crowd singalongs on the on-disc setlist and RB3 DLC. So many songs on the RB 3 setlist SCREAMED to have crowd singalongs, but they aren't there. Such a major disappointment.

And I will never forgive Harmonix for not letting me permanently save Hyperspeed on. I have to always turn it on.

also the 'loading up songs' whenever you boot the game up. It takes longer than RB2 ever did.

Montresor, I'll try Llama on Expert Keys.

Don't think I'll ever five star Antibodies though. Fuck that song.

jgkspsx

Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but it's already been 100% confirmed that they don't intend to let you export RB3 to RB4? What about the DLC?
There was no export code, so... yeah. DLC will be fine.

I don't really think they're planning to make RB4, but things change.

Hi guys, I'm going to a Rock Band party and was wondering if there was any way to browse songs within a set list.

I asked some friends for their favourites from my DLC list, and the plan was to have a set list for each of their names. Then they could look at the songs they had previously chosen and pick what they want to play from that custom list.

But when I try to play one of these setlists it just wants to play the entire thing in the precise order it was created. Is there any way to navigate a set list or even just play a setlist in a random order? I've got 350+ songs to navigate and I just want to minimize the amount of scrolling we have to do in between picks.

The only alternative would be to "1 Lighter" the songs I don't think they'll want to play and hide those. which is okay I guess, but I'd hate to hide something that I didn't care for that some random party go'er might want to sing. Or print a list so people could choose ahead of time.

Thanks for any input, even if I think I already know the answers I'm going to get.

Scapegoat

Hi guys, I'm going to a Rock Band party and was wondering if there was any way to browse songs within a set list.

I asked some friends for their favourites from my DLC list, and the plan was to have a set list for each of their names. Then they could look at the songs they had previously chosen and pick what they want to play from that custom list.

But when I try to play one of these setlists it just wants to play the entire thing in the precise order it was created. Is there any way to navigate a set list or even just play a setlist in a random order? I've got 350+ songs to navigate and I just want to minimize the amount of scrolling we have to do in between picks.

The only alternative would be to "1 Lighter" the songs I don't think they'll want to play and hide those. which is okay I guess, but I'd hate to hide something that I didn't care for that some random party go'er might want to sing. Or print a list so people could choose ahead of time.

Thanks for any input, even if I think I already know the answers I'm going to get.
From personal experience I would recommend a printed list sorted by artist. It really slows the flow down when your trying to pick a song through the menus, and if alcohol is involved most people will forget songs they wanted to do while waiting.

Dartastic

Hey guys, I just recently purchased the 3 cymbal pack for Rock Band 3, as I figured it would be a great way to teach myself how to play drums decently. I'm scanning through the DLC, and I'm wondering what I should get. I am mostly interested in like, really anthemic stuff. There's just so much out there... for starters, I bought Amanaguchi, and The Who packs. I just don't know what DLC I ABSOLUTELY should get. Help please!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Hey guys, I just recently purchased the 3 cymbal pack for Rock Band 3, as I figured it would be a great way to teach myself how to play drums decently. I'm scanning through the DLC, and I'm wondering what I should get. I am mostly interested in like, really anthemic stuff. There's just so much out there... for starters, I bought Amanaguchi, and The Who packs. I just don't know what DLC I ABSOLUTELY should get. Help please!
This song just came out this week...it's from Paramore. Shitty song overall, but god damn the drums are a fucking BLAST.

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY2CvKdxeno&feature=plcp

I really like Foo Fighter songs on drums, as well as Paramore. They're always fun to play, IMO.

Dartastic

I might check that song out... I was thinking more of like, the 70's and 80's time period. Or something. There's just a ridiculous amount of content on there. I could see drums being really fun for that Paramore song though... once I get better. :p

Hop

I might check that song out... I was thinking more of like, the 70's and 80's time period. Or something. There's just a ridiculous amount of content on there. I could see drums being really fun for that Paramore song though... once I get better. :p

So, low/mid-difficulty classic rock then?

Just about anything Queen should be good. The Grateful Dead is good too, so long as you avoid the higher-tier options as they tend to be more awkward than enjoyable. "Pick Up the Pieces" by Average White Band may be too hard for you, but it's so awesome (likewise with all the Styx material). "Girlfriend is Better" and "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads are a little repetitive but really nice grooves (but, again, kinda tricky).

You can filter the in-game store by decade, or by genre, to try and narrow it down a little more.

Is there a good way to pick up a Drum Rocker for relatively cheap?

I keep thinking I'll grab one sometime and get back into drumming, but every time I check they're still hovering around $250.

I don't play the drums very much, but every time we play this game I try to get at least one play-through of Mr Brightside and Run to the Hills. Both are great fun if you're not that good a drummer.

Bit of a necrobump, but I have no idea what thread to use for RB3 nowadays. lol

Anyway, I was just wondering, I'm considering buying a keyboard but it has a USB midi out instead of the one that is used by the pro adapter:
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...eyboard-ctk-3200-black-ctk-3200/10201438.aspx

Is there an adapter that converts USB to midi so that you can use it in the pro adapter?

I can't say I've ever heard of one or else I'd have gotten one for my keyboard. Which sucks because I sincerely hate having battery dependencies for stuff like that. Why they couldn't let me plug it in like every other instrument I will never know.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can't say I've ever heard of one or else I'd have gotten one for my keyboard. Which sucks because I sincerely hate having battery dependencies for stuff like that. Why they couldn't let me plug it in like every other instrument I will never know.
Hrm, that's too bad. I guess I can appreciate the use of USB because it makes things easier for people with PCs, but of course it also means that legacy devices are kind of SOL.

Rock Band returns! DLC for January 13th: Arctic Monkeys, Avenged Sevenfold, & Foo Fighters!

x0zHwbU.png

HMXHenry said:
On Tuesday, January 13th, new music from Arctic Monkeys, Avenged Sevenfold, and Foo Fighters will hit the Rock Band Music Store!

“R U Mine?” marks the first appearance of the Grammy Award winning Arctic Monkeys on the Rock Band platform. From 2013’s critically acclaimed album AM, “R U Mine?” – with its driving riffs, syncopated rock beats, and memorable hook – is perfect for Artic Monkeys’ Rock Band debut.

One of the most fan requested artists, Avenged Sevenfold, makes their return to Rock Band with “Shepherd Of Fire.” The track comes from the band’s sixth studio record, 2013’s Billboard chart-topping Hail to the King.

Foo Fighters’ “Something From Nothing” from the band’s latest, 2014’s Sonic Highways, will also be available for download. Heard in the opening sequence of the hit HBO music documentary series Sonic Highways, directed by Foo Fighters’ frontman Dave Grohl, “Something From Nothing” topped the charts when it was released last October.

Available on Xbox 360 and PlayStation®3 system (January 13th, 2015):

• Arctic Monkeys – “R U Mine?”
• Avenged Sevenfold – “Shepherd Of Fire”
• Foo Fighters – “Something From Nothing”

Price:
$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU per song

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation®3 system January 21st)

Song Previews

"Something From Nothing" by The Foo Fighters
"R U Mine" by The Arctic Monkeys
"Shephard Of Fire" by Avenged Sevenfold

Looks like we're back in business fellas! Dust off those instruments and let's get back to work!

Rock Band returns! DLC for January 13th: Arctic Monkeys, Avenged Sevenfold, & Foo Fighters!

x0zHwbU.png

Song Previews

"Something From Nothing" by The Foo Fighters
"R U Mine" by The Arctic Monkeys
"Shephard Of Fire" by Avenged Sevenfold

Looks like we're back in business fellas! Dust off those instruments and let's get back to work!
I dunno if anyone watched their livestream, but from their responses when asked about a new Rock Band, they pretty much hinted at more future news.

I dunno if anyone watched their livestream, but from their responses when asked about a new Rock Band, they pretty much hinted at more future news.

By future news it could just be future DLC news. Although I'm hoping that it's RB4 for the new systems with DLC and on-disk song transferring enabled. Either way I'm a happy lass.

By future news it could just be future DLC news. Although I'm hoping that it's RB4 for the new systems with DLC and on-disk song transferring enabled. Either way I'm a happy lass.
I'm thinking the reason why they have dried up the supply of instruments was that when they reintroduced RB, the demand for the game would be much greater. I really do think that we will see a Rock Band 4 this year, if not, then next year.

I'm thinking the reason why they have dried up the supply of instruments was that when they reintroduced RB, the demand for the game would be much greater. I really do think that we will see a Rock Band 4 this year, if not, then next year.

I think it was more of a matter that HMX had financial issues so they commisioned Madcatz to produce a limited amount, more of a money issue than future proofing I bet. Apparently they still have some money problems now as well. Would be a pleasent side effect if it ended up helping to save money and fund the return of the series though

I'm really curious if the Rockband musical instruments will have issues with the new USB secure driver rules on the new platforms. Perhaps not, but I'd like to know. Also, R U Mine amusingly enough is one of my favorite tracks in Rocksmith ...

They really need a next-gen version though at the very least. ;) This is a type of game that should be timeless and always available, it's just too much fun. My son is getting old enough for the drumming, we recently played Rockband 3 again on PS3 and it was a lot of fun.

I'm really curious if the Rockband musical instruments will have issues with the new USB secure driver rules on the new platforms.

If RB ever does make a return to new systems, they'll most likely have to go the new peripheral route, although I do wonder if a multiple port USB adapter is possible to allow it to work with the new drivers of modern systems. Shame my wireless Les Paul will probably never work with the new consoles if it ever did happen though.

If they do bring back RB I really hope they sync your DLC to a Harmonix account or something. I went from 360 to PS4 so it'd be nice to be able to sync hundreds of dollars of DLC to the new console.

If they do bring back RB I really hope they sync your DLC to a Harmonix account or something. I went from 360 to PS4 so it'd be nice to be able to sync hundreds of dollars of DLC to the new console.

HMX only have forum accounts don't they? If they can find a way to sync up Xbox Live or PSN accounts with the Harmonix forum account then it's a possibility I guess.

I think there's zero possibilities for cross system transfer between Sony and Msoft. You bought content on the Xbox, so you have the right to use it there. At most, a PS3 to PS4 or 360 to XONE could work.

Top Bottom