• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

DuckRacer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_band_3

Rb3_box_art.jpg

Coming to Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and DS on October 26th. 29th if you're currently residing in Europe.

Track list – Contains 83 songs, is great musically, unfortunately doesn't have Bon Jovi.

Downloadable content, over 2,000 songs available:

List of Harmonix charted DLC – List of externally-charted RBN DLC – Upcoming songs (Bon Jovi 12-pack is coming early November, please buy it)

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Another Rock Band?! Isn't this the twelfth Rock Band this year? Why should I care about this?

Harmonix is introducing many changes and improvements to the Rock Band platform with RB3. First and foremost is the new keyboard peripheral – rock's awkward fifth wheel is now available to be played alongside the guitar, drums and vocals. Madcatz – who has taken over the hardware reigns from MTV Games, who wouldn't know reliability if it smacked them upside the head – has designed and manufactured a two-octave, 25-key keyboard that'll let you essentially play the keys note-for-note on pro expert keys. Harmonies from Demiurge's magnum opus Green Day: Rock Band have also been brought over to Rock Band 3, so you can have a seven player band consisting of a guitarist, keyboardist, drummer and three vocalists.

Hahaha learn how to play a real guitar you stupid loser!

Oh yeah, Harmonix has also introduced Pro Mode to Rock Band 3, bringing not only cymbal support to every non-RBN song in existence – yes, including that mediocre cover of War Pigs you bought three years ago – but also letting consumers play, note for note, the actual guitar parts with an actual guitar. Well, not quite an actual guitar, at least not yet; there's a Madcatz Mustang pro guitar controller that has 109 buttons on the neck, but it costs $150, seems kinda shitty and might release next week or next month, we don't really know. There's also a Squier Stratocaster – which, y'know, is an actual guitar with actual strings – releasing sometime next year for >$250. Visit the Wikipedia link for all the technical details, I'm not a Fender viral marketer.

With the addition of pro guitar, keys and harmonies to DLC, will the DLC prices raise?

Regular Rock Band 3 DLC includes harmonies, keys and pro keys for the same price: $2. However, select songs will have a pro guitar and bass component available for an additional $1. Btw, RB3 DLC won't be compatible with Rock Band 1, 2, and Lego, so if you buy Bon Jovi's Runaway in a few weeks and it doesn't work with your years-old game don't say I didn't warn you!

I exported my Rock Band 1 songs years ago do I need to do that again for Rock Band 3?

no

What about the Rock Band 2 export?

I dunno the details will probably be announced this week, use Google to find the thread when the news releases. Maybe I'll update the OP too, I dunno.

Wasn't there a Rock Band megathread with a billion posts? Why the separate thread for Rock Band 3?

A bunch of people acted like pathetic internet elitist douche lords who talked about fucking wrestling instead of Rock Band and got themselves banned. I don't know about you, but when I enter a thread I don't want to discuss wrestling with such riff-raff. Good riddance.

I won't buy this game until MY FAVORITE ALBUM is available.

http://www.rockband.com/request

Will older DLC be updated for keys and harmonies?

WHOA WE'RE HALFWAY THERE

edit:

Dearest DuckRacer I heard through the grapevine that the RB2 export is available what doesn't export?!

AC/DC, Metallica, Journey, Soundgarden and Red Hot Chili Peppers. You can blame the first three on the songs being tough to license and the latter two on Activision. Thanks Kotick. Oh, and the game's nine Harmonix band-supplied bonus songs don't export either because shit I dunno maybe they expect us to repurchase the songs on RBN they're coming in a free DLC pack, presumably updated with RB3 features.

edit: here's where you share your very imaginative setlists that are definitely not terrible at all!

I was gonna get on launch day but I had to send a few bones my parent's way... so I'll be getting it a few days after. Hopefully before Halloween.

Rainier

DuckRacer said:
Contains 83 songs, is great musically, unfortunately doesn't have Bon Jovi.
Odd, I have the opposite problem with the radio. Nice and to the point OP, loaded instantly and I didn't have to scroll.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
DuckRacer said:
Wasn't there a Rock Band megathread with a billion posts? Why the separate thread for Rock Band 3?

A bunch of people acted like pathetic internet elitist douche lords who talked about fucking wrestling instead of Rock Band and got themselves banned. I don't know about you, but when I enter a thread I don't want to discuss wrestling with such riff-raff. Good riddance.
2dsjsj8.gif

KaYotiX

Banned
The MegaThread was awesome IMO!! I hope this one is just as big BUT without alot of off topic stuff :D

ROCKBAND FUCKING 3!!!! WHOOOOOOOOO!!!! HYPE HYPE HYPE!!!!!

In terms of retrofitting DLC with pro mode, Harmonix told me during an interview that it would depend on what the fans demanded the most.

Xevren

Vinterbird said:
In terms of retrofitting DLC with pro mode, Harmonix told me during an interview that it would depend on what the fans demanded the most.

Sounds like more Muse in the future then!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They'll retrofit All The Small Things so we can play the same real chord a thousand times instead of playing the same Rock Band chord a thousand times.

Chris R

Thought this game was this Tuesday but it isn't :( 7 more days :( :( :(

I want to see the improved setlist stuff in video form (IE let me filter out 95% of the death/scream metal crap so I can pretend it doesn't even exist!)

legend166

If we don't get some Radiohead DLC it will be a crime against humanity. Karma Police with keys = awesome.

Also, the game may or may not be releasing in Australia in 2 days, instead of next week. I'm trying to confirm it now. That's the game only. I have it on good authority that the instruments won't be released in Australia at all.

legend166 said:
If we don't get some Radiohead DLC it will be a crime against humanity. Karma Police with keys = awesome.

Also, the game may or may not be releasing in Australia in 2 days, instead of next week. I'm trying to confirm it now. That's the game only. I have it on good authority that the instruments won't be released in Australia at all.

The EB I spoke to said they're selling the instruments, but you have to order them in.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
J. M. Romeo said:
Sooo I have a Roland TD9 electric drum kit. Can I use the infamous MIDI box to play with it?
Yes. $29.99 on Amazon.

fisheyes

Motion Picture Soundtrack said:
The EB I spoke to said they're selling the instruments, but you have to order them in.

Does anyone know where the cheapest place to get a Keyboard from for an Australian would be? I would normally assume online somewhere, but with the shipping costs likely to be a bitch, would it work out cheaper just to cop the usual Australian Mark Up (And EB Mark Up, for that matter)?

elektrixx

Banned
fisheyes said:
Does anyone know where the cheapest place to get a Keyboard from for an Australian would be? I would normally assume online somewhere, but with the shipping costs likely to be a bitch, would it work out cheaper just to cop the usual Australian Mark Up (And EB Mark Up, for that matter)?
I preordererd my keys and drums from GameStop. Compared to EB it's saving me ~AU$140, including postage!

fisheyes

elektrixx said:
I preordererd my keys and drums from GameStop. Compared to EB it's saving me ~AU$140, including postage!

Oh really? Sweet as.

That being said, I probably don't have the money for this. Though I'll most likely bite anyway.

123rl

Does anyone know if Endless Setlist is available from the beginning? It's released on a Friday here and I'm off the following two days...perfect for a 89 song marathon :D

If I wanna use my MIDI keyboard for this, do I still need to buy a bundle? Does the game come with a MIDI adapter no matter what, or do you have to buy one special?

123rl said:
Does anyone know if Endless Setlist is available from the beginning? It's released on a Friday here and I'm off the following two days...perfect for a 89 song marathon :D

I doubt the actual endless setlist challenge would be available but there's nothing stopping you from making your own set list with all the songs in quickplay.

JMizzlin

Can't find anywhere to import the Keyboard to Australia under $140 AUD :(

Looks like I'll have to submit and buy it as an EB Games Exclusive. Ugh.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm looking forward to impressions for the cymbals and keyboard.

If I want cymbal support I'll have to buy a full drumkit, as I only have RB1 drums at the moment - and madcatz ones are £100 which is quite steep.

Keyboard I'm curious about as my wife plays piano so she might be interested. But I don't know how easy it is for a pianist to handle the way the game presents the notes, or how she'll get on with a two octave keyboard. (we have an electric piano which has MIDI out but you're still restricted to two octaves, right?)

Daigoro

I'm fucking psyched. Got the week off and will rock hard.

Ps. The Jimi DLC last week is amazing. Probably the best DLC yet. HMX are knocking it out of the fuking park this year.

Serious business.

Shito

Wow, didn't follow anything about this title... like AT ALL!
I think my love for Rock Band is long gone and... OMG Combat Baby from Metric? OMGOMG FREE BIRD!?

so fucking bought ;___;

elektrixx

Banned
'Rock Band 3 |OT| of here's to 2000 more'

'Rock Band 3 officially licensed |OT| by MadCatz'

'Rock Band 3 |OT| of PowerGig's Gonna hate'

'Rock Band 3 |OT| of the premature rise of the six string'

JMizzlin

Motion Picture Soundtrack said:
EB say the Australian release was pushed back to the 28th, but JBHifi still have it listed as the 21st. Hopefully it's just been delayed at EB.

I checked Gametraders today and they also had it listed for the 28th. Seems it has been delayed everywhere, JB Hi Fi is just a bit slow updating :(

Also, thanks for the Barnes & Noble heads up :) Will be ordering from there. You've saved me a pretty penny.

Blueblur1 said:
Is it wrong that what I'm looking forward to most, aside from more songs, is the reworked menu stuff?

No way! I'm most excited about the fact that I can both change difficulty from the pause menu, and add players to the game without going back to the main menu. Seriously, those are the two biggest things about this game that make it better than 2 for me.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Blueblur1 said:
Is it wrong that what I'm looking forward to most, aside from more songs, is the reworked menu stuff?
No. It's one of it's biggest features. Harmonix knows a lot of people have hundreds if not thousands of songs on their Rock Band library, so sorting out the music is 100x more convenient. A lot of the revamped menu stuff has a lot of awesome features that will save you time.

There's been a lot of revelations that have disappointed me, however. Lack of crowd singalongs on the Rock Band 3 setlist is one of them. It had so much potential considering some of the songs just BEG for crowd singalongs.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
elektrixx said:
'Rock Band 3 |OT| of here's to 2000 more'

'Rock Band 3 officially licensed |OT| by MadCatz'

'Rock Band 3 |OT| of PowerGig's Gonna hate'

'Rock Band 3 |OT| of the premature rise of the six string'
Rock Band 3 |OT| The Music Fad is over.

J. M. Romeo said:
Really? No crowd singalongs AT ALL in the new songs?

WWWWWHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Nope. It sucks doesn't it? I'm so disappointed. I was really looking forward to what songs would have them, but alas.

Top Bottom