• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
My custom-painted original GH2 Xplorer bit the dust a few months ago and is now mounted on my wall, never to return to rock. All I have now is my on again-off again Les Paul and decent RB2 wireless drumset. Might be the end of my plastic rock-career. Shame about all this DLC trapped on my Harddrive, too.

LakeEarth said:
I'm kinda plastic guitar-d out right now. I'll probably buy it whenever the real guitar comes out.

Same, except I might wait another 6 months after that to get it real cheap (assuming there's some awesome Pro DLC up as well (come on George Harrison and Pro Hendrix!)).

LakeEarth

BobsRevenge said:
Switch instruments dude.
I'm interested in keyboards, but without a keyboard/game combo I'll just wait a bit to save some cash. It's not like I don't have 10 other games I need to play.

ahvostik

I haven't been this hyped for a game since...

ever.

I just wish Fender would let me spend $350 on the:

Squier, by Fender, Stratocaster Guitar, and Controller

(official title)

I don't want to wait 1/3 of a year! argh!

Oli

Question, does the export price for exporting songs from Rock Band 1 count as DLC? As in towards the deal Microsoft has running this month?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oli said:
Question, does the export price for exporting songs from Rock Band 1 count as DLC? As in towards the deal Microsoft has running this month?

Someone found fine print that says no, but I can't find it anymore.

Also, any reviews of PowerGig anywhere? I'm 1% curious based on the fact that I'll have to settle for the cruddy Mustang until next year.

Ridley327

LakeEarth said:
I'm interested in keyboards, but without a keyboard/game combo I'll just wait a bit to save some cash. It's not like I don't have 10 other games I need to play.
PS3 owner, I take it?

LakeEarth said:
Unbundled, doesn't it work out to still be the same price as the bundle if you order it on Amazon?

Sai-kun

Banned
J. M. Romeo said:
Really? No crowd singalongs AT ALL in the new songs?

WWWWWHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Wow. No crowd singalongs. :(

Hearing a crowd sing Bulletproof or Bad Romance was the best thing ever.

Might pick this one up, or at the very least give it a rent. I was going to say I wasn't too big on music games, but I realized I already own GH3, the first RB and RB: The Beatles, two guitars, and two wireless mics. :/

If I do get it by this year's end, I'll probably pick up a drum set also. Some of the songs in the setlist are very, very appealing to me.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I'd kill for a crowd sing-a-long to Yoshimi.

edit: I honestly wish this forum was a bit more elitist so we wouldn't have the La Roux and Lady Gaga love. :lol

Will be keeping a close eye on the Cheap Ass Euro thread for the keyboard bundle.

it's going to be weird going from playing Expert guitar, all the way back to failing normal with the keyboard. Probably. Who knows, I might surprise myself.

Pro mode is the goal though. If Rock band 3 can teach me to play a few tunes on a real keyboard then it will have been an unbridled success.

EDIT: I'm still holding out hope that we'll eventually get the ability to export the Beatles songs into Rock Band 3. If they can patch RB2, two years after it came out, then maybe they'll do the same for the fab four. I just hate having to swap discs to play a couple of songs.

BobsRevenge

Dead Man Typing said:
Pro mode is the goal though. If Rock band 3 can teach me to play a few tunes on a real keyboard then it will have been an unbridled success.
Imagine on pro keys is going to be the business. If I get the keyboard that song will be a huge part of that decision.

123rl said:
Does anyone know if Endless Setlist is available from the beginning? It's released on a Friday here and I'm off the following two days...perfect for a 89 song marathon :D

Yes, it's under playlists.

BobsRevenge

Ridley327 said:
The RB3 cymbals have drastically improved sensitivity and are tilted at 10 degrees. They also include a red cymbal topper for lefty drummers.
Are they more quiet? The RB2 ones are loud as hell. They also double-registered A TON and I generally could only use them during the fills or else I'd be losing my streak like mad.

firehawk12 said:
Someone found fine print that says no, but I can't find it anymore.

Also, any reviews of PowerGig anywhere? I'm 1% curious based on the fact that I'll have to settle for the cruddy Mustang until next year.

You're not even settling for the "cruddy Mustang" 'til mid to late November (according to Amazon.)

I share your dust speck of curiosity for Power Gig, but let's be realistic about it. This is a game that if stores even take it will be marked down drastically in a few months. (Remember the $10 Rock Revolution bundles?) Stay the course!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SaggyMonkey said:
You're not even settling for the "cruddy Mustang" 'til mid to late November (according to Amazon.)

I share your dust speck of curiosity for Power Gig, but let's be realistic about it. This is a game that if stores even take it will be marked down drastically in a few months. (Remember the $10 Rock Revolution bundles?) Stay the course!

Yeah, true. :lol
Even the Mustang got pushed back though? Oof. I mean, I'm moderately excited for Keys, but Pro Guitar is the main event...

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
Ridley327 said:
I had read that they're made of a different material this time, so they stand to be quieter.

I read the same thing. I hope that's true because hitting the RB2 cymbals sounds and feels like smacking a plastic trash can cover. I'll probably bite if they are quieter and don't constantly register double hits.

Bummed that there isn't a Rush song in the on disc list. This will be the first mainline RB game without one (although Tom Sawyer was a cover in RB1) and they have several songs that would make great use of the keyboard.

datamage

I have an old M-Audio USB/Midi keyboard that I bought ages ago to tinker around with. Would I be able to use it with RB3? I haven't been keeping up on this, and have no idea what the requirements are.

Ridley327

datamage said:
I have an old M-Audio USB/Midi keyboard that I bought ages ago to tinker around with. Would I be able to use it with RB3? I haven't been keeping up on this, and have no idea what the requirements are.
The MIDI breakout boxes aren't shipping until next month, so we won't find out about compatibility until then.

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, true. :lol
Even the Mustang got pushed back though? Oof. I mean, I'm moderately excited for Keys, but Pro Guitar is the main event...

I've been playing keys since Friday, and it's definitely not as fun to me as the rest of the instruments. There's so many songs where you're just sitting around waiting to come in. I think the last like 2 minutes of Rock Lobster has no keys at all. (and that's come up four times on random pulls already in tour challenges)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SaggyMonkey said:
I've been playing keys since Friday, and it's definitely not as fun to me as the rest of the instruments. There's so many songs where you're just sitting around waiting to come in. I think the last like 2 minutes of Rock Lobster has no keys at all. (and that's come up four times on random pulls already in tour challenges)

I get the feeling that's the problem. They should have excluded all of the "bad" keyboard songs as well.

It doesn't help that a lot of good keyboard songs already exists as DLC so they couldn't put them on the disc I suppose. "Don't Stop Believing" seems like an obvious one...

Pancho

Qurupancho
firehawk12 said:
I get the feeling that's the problem. They should have excluded all of the "bad" keyboard songs as well.

It doesn't help that a lot of good keyboard songs already exists as DLC so they couldn't put them on the disc I suppose. "Don't Stop Believing" seems like an obvious one...

Well there's still DLC so I guess that, down the line, they'll release keyboard-centric DLC. We just gotta wait and see.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pancho said:
Well there's still DLC so I guess that, down the line, they'll release keyboard-centric DLC. We just gotta wait and see.

Yeah, it's that + filtering out all the "bad" songs with like 10 seconds of keys.

SaggyMonkey said:

I just want some Bohemian Rhapsody on keyboard.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
BobsRevenge said:
Are they more quiet? The RB2 ones are loud as hell. They also double-registered A TON and I generally could only use them during the fills or else I'd be losing my streak like mad.
They sound about the same as hitting a drumpad.

Minimaul

It's a fun game. I managed to get a copy from Newegg last Friday. Played a whole bunch this weekend. Mostly pro-drums (Ion kit) and did some easy keys for awhile too.

I'm buying it this Christmas for the setlist alone. I prefer medium difficulty and I hope it has a better learning curve than Rock Band 2 on hard/expert so I can jump in on hard and not fail for a while. I'm just pumped for the improved features and navigation. Different hyperspeed levels plz

Is there any type of FAQ on the PRO modes (Guitar and Drums are mostly what I'm interested in)? I'm mainly interested in what hardware is available/required.

I hope they come out and announce which e-drum kits will be compatible sometime soon.

I'm planning on picking up a Yahama DTXplorer set but since it has non-reprogrammable triggers, I don't want to take the plunge until it's confirmed as compatible.

Ridley327

MikeE21286 said:
Is there any type of FAQ on the PRO modes (Guitar and Drums are mostly what I'm interested in)? I'm mainly interested in what hardware is available/required.
For guitar, it's easy as there's only two options:

-The Mustang controller is also a MIDI guitar that you can hook into your PC audio setup and use as such; the big thing about this is that it's the only solution that will allow you to play both standard mode (the classic five fret buttons) and Pro mode on guitar or bass. The downside is that it's limited to 17 frets.

-The Squier guitar is an actual Squier guitar that has technology built into the fretboard so that the game can detect your fingering; the guitar itself is platform-agnostic, so all you need is the appropriate MIDI breakout box for it in order to get it working. Sadly, it's not coming out until some time in the spring and the only pricing info that we know about it is that it's based on their $250 body. Also, as I implied above, it does not work for standard mode.

Alastor

I REALLY want to buy this (I'm a big Rock Band parties fan), but I'll probably have to wait till after christmas. Then I shall turn to GAF for help, I'll need an American version because of stupid region-locked DLC...

Minsc

Gold Member
Do they make good wireless mics for RB3? Or is it too data intensive to send wirelessly? Shame to have wireless drums, guitar and keyboard, then corded mics.

Top Bottom