• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

mrklaw

MrArseFace
rpgfan16k said:
Ok.

So I have RB2, Beatles and RB1 for my 360. I have guitars and a mic, but no drums (long story). I want RB3, the keyboard, and drums (obviously). What exactly are my options here? The stores around me have the game and keyboard sold separately (NOT bundles), but no drums outside old RB and RB2 bundles.

What exactly are my options here?

- wait for RB3 drums to be available
- buy RB2 drums and new RB3 cymbals (supposed to be much better than previous RB2 cymbal set)
- buy Beatles drums and new RB3 cymbals
- don't play drums

in the UK, there are deals on the beatles band set, which would work out about teh same price as buying the drums separately, but you also get the beatles software, mic and guitar which you can keep or sell/trade in

Okay, loser that I am, I am saving a "Supernatural" setlist and about load it online. Lord have mercy if I play this all in one sitting:

Ramblin' Man - Allman Brothers Band
Working Man - Rush
Hey Man Nice Shot - Filter
All Right Now - Free
Peace of Mind - Boston
Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
Walk Away (The James Gang) - Joe Walsh
Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Stonehenge - Spinal Tap
Cold As Ice - Foreigner
Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
Renegade - Styx
The Crystal Ship - The Doors
Foreplay/Long Time - Boston
Run Through the Jungle - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi
Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum
Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who (technically not played in show, but riffed)
The Gambler - Kenny Rogers
Carry on Wayward Son - Kansas

rpgfan16k

thanks for the quick replies GAF. I think I'm just gonna get RB3 and the keyboard for now. Survived without drums this long, I'm sure I can do it a little while longer :lol

You probably got the Hastings version, which is slightly more expensive and doesn't have Amazon Prime shipping. I got the one sold through Amazon itself, which appears to still be out of stock. If it's not in stock by Tuesday, though, I might just suck it up and get it from a store instead.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
PhoncipleBone said:
Okay, loser that I am, I am saving a "Supernatural" setlist and about load it online. Lord have mercy if I play this all in one sitting:

Ramblin' Man - Allman Brothers Band
Working Man - Rush
Hey Man Nice Shot - Filter
All Right Now - Free
Peace of Mind - Boston
Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
Walk Away (The James Gang) - Joe Walsh
Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Stonehenge - Spinal Tap
Surrender - Cheap Trick
Cold As Ice - Foreigner
Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
Renegade - Styx
The Crystal Ship - The Doors
Foreplay/Long Time - Boston
Run Through the Jungle - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi
Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum
Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who (technically not played in show, but riffed)
The Gambler - Kenny Rogers

Where is this song from?

Emerson said:
Where is this song from?
Just fixed that. Got so used to it being in GH that I forgot it wasnt in Rock Band. Whoops.:D

Thought about making separate season setlists, but the later ones would be so short. Besides, an epic setlist would be fun for endurance.

Also, how is the pro guitar?

so pro keys people, how are you rocking that keyboard? did you pick up the stand? do you have it on your lap? on a desk? on the strap?

i've been playing it at my desk using my monitor for the game, but i had a go with the strap and while it was harder, it wasn't inordinately harder.

plagiarize said:
so pro keys people, how are you rocking that keyboard? did you pick up the stand? do you have it on your lap? on a desk? on the strap?

i've been playing it at my desk using my monitor for the game, but i had a go with the strap and while it was harder, it wasn't inordinately harder.

I'm using it on my lap, but it's not really working for me. Might pick up a stand

Varna

How does the PS3 version hold up this time?

The usual lower frame-rate and no AA?

This game does have individual scrolling speeds for tracks right? Otherwise me and the girlfriend can't play together. :(

Varna said:
How does the PS3 version hold up this time?

The usual lower frame-rate and no AA?

This game does have individual scrolling speeds for tracks right? Otherwise me and the girlfriend can't play together. :(
I'm playing on 360, so I have no idea how the PS3 version is; but individual scrolling speeds is in.

chunk3rvd

I'd like to trade in my copy of RB2 towards buying RB3 but I want to do the import first. Is that possible or does it have to be done from the in game RB3 store?

chunk3rvd said:
I'd like to trade in my copy of RB2 towards buying RB3 but I want to do the import first. Is that possible or does it have to be done from the in game RB3 store?
Done from the in game RB3 store.

Also, think I am going to be ballsy and do endlist setlist either now or tomorrow. Any idea how long it is time wise?

chunk3rvd said:
you need the code from your manual for RB2. you enter that code into the 'Get more songs' area in RB3. so trade away, but keep the manual!

Raistlin

chunk3rvd said:
At the RB3 store.

Copy down the ID from the manual, and hope the employee doesn't use it or email it to someone before you get home :D

Or as plagiarize recommended, keep the manual entirely :p

So I finally got it. Didn't play much but the new Character Creator meant a much better me, Jack, Kate, Sawyer, and, thanks to keys, CHAHHHHLIEEEEE!!!

:D

Is there a way to assign them to instruments like last game? BEARDED JACK IS MY SINGER. I WILL ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES.

Still getting used to streaks and stuff but man the interface/use of your band is absolutely amazing in the interstitials.

Ridli

drmcclin said:
I'm using it on my lap, but it's not really working for me. Might pick up a stand
I'd definately recommend setting it on a desk or with a stand. Piano posture is as much for fatigue as anything else, heh.

Argyle

Ridli said:
I'd definately recommend setting it on a desk or with a stand. Piano posture is as much for fatigue as anything else, heh.
Warning, the official stand totally does not fold up at all...

BenjaminBirdie said:
So I finally got it. Didn't play much but the new Character Creator meant a much better me, Jack, Kate, Sawyer, and, thanks to keys, CHAHHHHLIEEEEE!!!

:D

Is there a way to assign them to instruments like last game? BEARDED JACK IS MY SINGER. I WILL ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES.

Still getting used to streaks and stuff but man the interface/use of your band is absolutely amazing in the interstitials.

How could you have Charlie as anything else but the bass player?

Gowans

Still no response to my mail, Gona be beyond angry if rock band.com has ate my Lego RB code.

Hope I get one in a email before tomorrow morning when I grab rb3.

Azwethinkweiz said:
How could you have Charlie as anything else but the bass player?
I just meant since there's a new instrument I can have a new member. If I can assign them (can anyone answer that yet?) it'd be jack vox, Sawyer drums, CHAAHHHHHHLIEEE bass, Kate on keys. Me on guitar of course.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
plagiarize said:
you need the code from your manual for RB2. you enter that code into the 'Get more songs' area in RB3. so trade away, but keep the manual!

you don't need to keep the manual. You can go onto the web and redeem the 'manual' code to get your 12-digit export code. Then you don't need RB2 anymore. Just get RB3 and enter that 12-digit code and you can pay to download the RB2 tracks - it doesn't download them from the RB2 disc.

radjago

rpgfan16k said:
Ok.

So I have RB2, Beatles and RB1 for my 360. I have guitars and a mic, but no drums (long story). I want RB3, the keyboard, and drums (obviously). What exactly are my options here? The stores around me have the game and keyboard sold separately (NOT bundles), but no drums outside old RB and RB2 bundles.

What exactly are my options here?
Lots of people post drums on Craigslist for sale for cheap. Most game stores won't take them in for trade. Just make sure to get the wireless drums (RB2 or Beatles) and you can add the RB3 cymbal kit for pro mode.

woodypop

BenjaminBirdie said:
Speaking of which, does anyone know how many characters max we can create? (Spent about an hour cranking out 4 characters yesterday.)

woodypop said:
Speaking of which, does anyone know how many characters max we can create? (Spent about an hour cranking out 4 characters yesterday.)
You can make a ton. I have made about ten so I can mix around at parties. But there are four main members in the band.

Mileena

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:

fixed

parasight

Can someone confirm for me that the game inside the bundle is sealed? My bundle got delayed and I want the free Doors pack, so I'm planning on buying the game itself and then returning the one that comes inside the bundle when it arrives next week.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
plagiarize said:
i believe so. i think the usb mics work on everything just about.

That's what I was thinking/hoping, but you never know. I'm just axing because when I do get this, I'll probably jump ship and move over to 360 since none of my PS3 instruments are functional except for the mic and I haven't invested too much on DLC.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
don't the pack in games usually have a mark on the back cover that says "not for individual sale" or something?

Kibbles

Are any songs on both Guitar Hero and Rock Band, or if one song appears in one game is it expected not to ever be on the other game series? Competition is great, but I hate the split in songs between these games. Bah!

Kibbles said:
Are any songs on both Guitar Hero and Rock Band, or if one song appears in one game is it expected not to ever be on the other game series? Competition is great, but I hate the split in songs between these games. Bah!

There are lots of songs in both games.

Slacker

Kibbles said:
There are lots of songs that are in both games. What do you mean about the split in songs?

Edit: Beaten like Activision in the music games market.

parasight

levious said:
don't the pack in games usually have a mark on the back cover that says "not for individual sale" or something?

Oh, that would spoil my plans then. Looks like I may miss out on the free Doors pack.

kiun

parasight said:
Can someone confirm for me that the game inside the bundle is sealed? My bundle got delayed and I want the free Doors pack, so I'm planning on buying the game itself and then returning the one that comes inside the bundle when it arrives next week.

Game in the bundle is sealed but has a "Not for sale" tag instead of a upc code.

corkscrewblow said:
I am surprised you think so, since a few of the songs in the playlist are harder on guitar. But it is only proper the entire setlist ends with "Carry On Wayward Son." Now if only we could get keys and harmonies on that too!

Ridli said:
Wait, so it only has one height, standing? Or does it not fold away for storage?
It is height adjustable. The shortest being about two feet off the floor, the highest being about four or so. Basically from couch sitting height, to standing up height, and about four of five different heights in between.

Top Bottom