• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band DLC Announcements

jgkspsx

I'm in for the pack. Lodi is so awesome. I would have liked It Came Out of the Sky (Ronald Reagan's first appearance in a rock song!), but can't complain about any of these.

Xusder

Unconfirmed Member
New member here, aaaand the first thing I look for is a Rock Band thread...

(Shows how much this game owns my life, thanks Harmonix!)

Definitely getting next weeks DLC. More CCR is awesome in my opinion, especially now that they've finally gotten "Have You Ever Seen The Rain".

Though I would have guessed that next week would have been Huey Lewis. Guess I'm not good on the whole "predicting DLC" skill, haha!

It feels weird with all the bands they have nothing from they'd still add more CCR when there's already so much, but I'm a beggar and won't be a chooser, so I'll be grabbing them.

It feels weird with all the bands they have nothing from they'd still add more CCR when there's already so much, but I'm a beggar and won't be a chooser, so I'll be grabbing them.

I'm still waiting to see Porcupine Tree.

However, I think licensing is usually the issue with bands we haven't seen. Whoever owns the CCR rights is clearly cool with giving Hamronix rights to their songs.

Just went through the new CCR pack. While insanely simple to play, the songs are just damn good. It had been a while since I listened to Lodi. So nice.

I think we are done with CCR in the game though. I dont know any other major things by them that we havent gotten. Maybe a few solo Fogerty stuff, like Centerfield, but we should be through with CCR.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
This week in RBN for XBox:

Alternative
Edge - "Flesh and Blood" (80 MSP)

Indie Rock
The Motion Sick - "Grace Kelly" (80 MSP)

Metal
Atheist - "Second to Sun" (160 MSP)
Deadlock - "The Brave / Agony Applause (RB3 version)" (160 MSP)
Halcyon Way - "Building the Towers" (80 MSP)

Nu-Metal
Powerman 5000 - "Super Villain" (160 MSP)
Powerman 5000 - "Time Bomb" (160 MSP)

Pop/Dance/Electronic
Askari Nari - "Generic Techno Song" (80 MSP)

Pop-Rock
Dance for the Dying - "Thug Love" (80 MSP)

Rock
Quartered - "Half Cab" (80 MSP)
SuperSeed - "Play Around" (160 MSP)

Coming to PS3 next week:

Ill Niño - "Against the Wall" ($1.99) - Metal
Quartered - "Africa (RB3 version)" ($1.99) - Prog
Dance for the Dying - "El Monstro" ($0.99) - Pop-Rock
Aiden - "Hysteria" ($1.99) - Rock
Bumblefoot - "Turn Around" ($0.99) - Rock

And it seems the Sony EU delays should be all cleaned up by next week, so they should be caught up and back on schedule Wednesday.

Bigfoot

Wow, I'm actually surprised this thread is still going. I don't know anybody that still plays with their plastic guitars anymore, including myself. I should really pick it up again... I never did finish RB Beatles.

Does anyone know what it costs them to license a guitar for RB? I guess they must be selling enough DLC for each song to make up for it if the DLC keeps coming out.

Rapstah

Does anyone know what it costs them to license a guitar for RB? I guess they must be selling enough DLC for each song to make up for it if the DLC keeps coming out.

It depends a ton on what record label we're talking. I've gathered from tidbits that Roadrunner, for instance, pretty much settles with the part of the sale they get. A few bands have special deals in their contracts though, like Metallica, which makes those hard to compare.

FyreWulff

Wow, I'm actually surprised this thread is still going. I don't know anybody that still plays with their plastic guitars anymore, including myself. I should really pick it up again... I never did finish RB Beatles.

They've repeatedly stated that the Rock Band DLC business is profitable for them.

Hop

Available on Xbox 360, Wii, and PlayStation 3 on January 31st, 2012

Sum 41 – “Fat Lip” X
Sum 41 – “Still Waiting”
Tears for Fears – “Head Over Heels” O

These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation 3 on February 1st.

These tracks will be available for $1.99 each on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and $2.00 on Wii. Tracks marked with “O” feature support for keyboards; tracks marked with “X” will offer Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

I don't actually have a comment about this combination.

Drakken

I'm someone who loved Rock Band and played the heck out of it on drums, but skipped RB2 and 3 so I'm kind of out of the loop. How much would it set me back to get RB3 + drums? And are they more accurate now than the RB1 drums were? I'm a drummer, so I was mostly going for 100% runs, and got tired of it not registering all my hits accurately. If RB3 is improved in that area, I'd love to try my hand at 2112 and some other Rush songs.

Also curious to try the keys, especially seeing something like Frankenstein get released.

Hop

I'm someone who loved Rock Band and played the heck out of it on drums, but I skipped RB2 and 3 so I'm kind of out of the loop. How much would it set me back to get RB3 + drums? And are they more accurate now than the RB1 drums were? I'm a drummer, so I was mostly going for 100% runs, and got tired of it not registering all my hits accurately. If RB3 is improved in that area, I'd love to try my hand at 2112 and some other Rush songs.

Also curious to try the keys, especially seeing something like Frankenstein get released.

Compared to RB1, RB3 drums are leagues better. Not sure how available they are anymore though.

I'm someone who loved Rock Band and played the heck out of it on drums, but skipped RB2 and 3 so I'm kind of out of the loop. How much would it set me back to get RB3 + drums? And are they more accurate now than the RB1 drums were? I'm a drummer, so I was mostly going for 100% runs, and got tired of it not registering all my hits accurately. If RB3 is improved in that area, I'd love to try my hand at 2112 and some other Rush songs.

As Charron said, the drums are much better. And if you get a set, be sure to get the pro cymbal pack.

Your best bet, IMO, would be to get one of the MIDI adapters and use a real e-drum kit. Perfection.

Rapstah

Your best bet, IMO, would be to get one of the MIDI adapters and use a real e-drum kit. Perfection.

Apart from flams and open hi-hats. Obviously it's still a thousand times better than Rock Band 1 drums which were fun though. And it's the only backwards-compatible Pro instrument (with some notable exceptions and broken songs).

Xusder

Unconfirmed Member
TEARS FOR F***IN FEARS! And Sum 41...

Oh hell yes! Sucks that it's one song, and isn't going to be the album version ("Broken/Head Over Heels/Broken (Reprise) [Live]" is all supposed to be one track). More likely the single that was released. Hell, I just wanted some more TfF, so this is cool.

As for Sum 41, definitely getting "Fat Lip" (and begrudgingly "Still Waiting", not my favorite song, should have been "Makes No Difference"). Never had the other Guitar Hero Games, so the only time I've gotten to play "Fat Lip" was in Drummania, and that was a short version cover. Finally get to play the original long version, haha!

Apart from flams and open hi-hats. Obviously it's still a thousand times better than Rock Band 1 drums which were fun though. And it's the only backwards-compatible Pro instrument (with some notable exceptions and broken songs).

I've just started messing around with the pro-drums and there's a setting that states "Hi-Hat Pedal" but I haven't seen any notation in the game for it.

That confuses the hell out of me.

I've just started messing around with the pro-drums and there's a setting that states "Hi-Hat Pedal" but I haven't seen any notation in the game for it.

That confuses the hell out of me.

I believe the hi hat pedal is only used for the freestyle drum mode. Otherwise a second pedal is only used for double bass in the game.

Xusder

Unconfirmed Member
There is a way to make the game use the hi-hat pedal in the intended way.

MIDI Pro Adapter + E-Drum Kit Brain that has re-mappable triggers. For example:

I used a Trigger i|O as my drum brain, configured the mappings to take a hi-hat pedal and make it so that Pedal Down is Blue Cymbal (regular hi-hat notes) and Pedal Up is Yellow Cymbal (open hi-hat and ride). Now, I'm a lefty, so the cymbals might be different, but the concept is the same. Makes songs like "Smoke In The Water", the later part of the song with the open/closed hi-hat, so much easier.

That's why the MPA is a godsend, especially for people with E-Drum kits. Too bad lefty mode is gimped, as Green/Red Cymbal (Crash), conflicts with the Green Pad. You can't hit both at the same time, and you break your combo when playing (which I why I'm still using my Ion Kit Brain). But it's not that bad, and if I had a better e-drum kit, I would totally use the MPA and Trigger i|O.

(I need to upgrade my kit to mesh heads and better cymbals, already got a KD-8/Real Pedal Kickbox combo, heh...)

And for those looking for flams, I suggest hitting up Doc's Rock Band Mods, as one enterprising modder has coded a program that has:

- Advanced Hi-Hat Settings : Blue note detection by a standard position threshold or/and by speed and acceleration data. The speed/acceleration detection method allow you to play more naturally with open hi-hat and also do crescendo without triggering the blue cymbal.

- Hi-Hat Foot Splash cancel : Only useful for VH-11, VH-12 (or other same kind of eHiHat). Over-hits caused by foot splashes are ignored. The filtering is done by studying speed and acceleration data or/and by defining mask times before and after a Hi-Hat Pedal note

- Flams detection : When you do a flam on the snare (for example) the software convert the flam in red+yellow (you can configure the mapping). A first test check 2 snare hits in a small timing window (eg: 35 ms), in this test the velocity of the 2nd hit doesn't matter. A second test is based on a larger window (70 ms for example, you can configure it) where the 2nd hit must be equal or greater to [x] times the 1st hit. This feature is not limited to the snare, you can add flams detection on all elements (toms, even cymbals).

- Ghost notes : It can be useful if you play with your module sound and love ghost notes. The software just ignores notes under a velocity threshold.

- Yellow Crash conversion : In the software this cymbal is called "Mutable Crash". In Rock Band the left crash is often mapped to the yellow cymbal. If you have a left green crash on your set, this green crash can be converted automatically into a yellow crash. eg: If you hit both left and right green crash, one is converted to yellow cymbal. If you hit the ride and the left green crash, the crash is converted to yellow cymbal too (but hitting the right green crash doesn't). Actually you can add mutable crash feature on right green crash, snare, tom 2 and tom3

- Curves Monitor to help you in your settings : you can see your hits, the curve of the Hi-Hat controller (position, speed, acceleration), you can zoom in and zoom out and you can measure time windows.

FromtomRogue's eProDrums : Advanced Hi-Hat settings, VH-11, Flams, Ghosts

Video of the Flams in action by the author of the program (It's RB3 Pro Drums: Bikini Kill - Rebel Girl).

It takes a bit of dedication for all this stuff to run properly, and it's only for the extremely fanatical Rock Band fans (the few of us left), but the end result is worth it.

Rapstah

There is a way to make the game use the hi-hat pedal in the intended way.

MIDI Pro Adapter + E-Drum Kit Brain that has re-mappable triggers. For example:

I used a Trigger i|O as my drum brain, configured the mappings to take a hi-hat pedal and make it so that Pedal Down is Blue Cymbal (regular hi-hat notes) and Pedal Up is Yellow Cymbal (open hi-hat and ride). Now, I'm a lefty, so the cymbals might be different, but the concept is the same. Makes songs like "Smoke In The Water", the later part of the song with the open/closed hi-hat, so much easier.

That's why the MPA is a godsend, especially for people with E-Drum kits. Too bad lefty mode is gimped, as Green/Red Cymbal (Crash), conflicts with the Green Pad. You can't hit both at the same time, and you break your combo when playing (which I why I'm still using my Ion Kit Brain). But it's not that bad, and if I had a better e-drum kit, I would totally use the MPA and Trigger i|O.

(I need to upgrade my kit to mesh heads and better cymbals, already got a KD-8/Real Pedal Kickbox combo, heh...)

And for those looking for flams, I suggest hitting up Doc's Rock Band Mods, as one enterprising modder has coded a program that has:

FromtomRogue's eProDrums : Advanced Hi-Hat settings, VH-11, Flams, Ghosts

Video of the Flams in action by the author of the program (It's RB3 Pro Drums: Bikini Kill - Rebel Girl).

It takes a bit of dedication for all this stuff to run properly, and it's only for the extremely fanatical Rock Band fans (the few of us left), but the end result is worth it.
That's some pretty amazing stuff, I'll try setting that up when I get my new e-drum cymbals next week. Thanks for linking!

FyreWulff

Seems to be an oddity in Fat Lip's pro chart:

Hq8RW.jpg

Hop

Some weird XNA authorization bug (that Microsoft still hasn't fixed) popped up Saturday night and is really screwing with everyone's ability to playtest/peer review. So a lot of songs aren't moving and RBN releases are gonna be a little thin until that's sorted.

This week for RBN on XBox:

Metal
Anarchy Club - "Für Immer Verloren" (80 MSP)
Halcyon Way - "Building the Towers" (80 MSP) 2x
Halcyon Way - "The System" (80 MSP) 2x
Winter Crescent - "Battle of Egos Intro" (80 MSP)

Prog
Rishloo - "Feathergun in the Garden of the Sun" (80 MSP)

Rock
Jonathan Coulton - "Good Morning Tucson" (160 MSP)

Coming to PS3 next week:

Jerry Naylor - "Real Wild Child" ($1.99) - Rock
Suicide Silence - "Slaves to Substance" ($1.99) - Metal
Rainbowdragoneyes - "Heavy Weather - The Storm ov The Undead" ($0.99) - Pop/Dance/Electronic
an Unkindness - "Foundation" ($0.99) - Alternative
Chaotrope - "Diachylon" ($0.99) - Metal

Hop

And, it's Bush time.

Available on Xbox 360, Wii™and PlayStation®3 system (February 7th, 2012):

• Bush – “Everything Zen”
• Bush – “Comedown”
• Bush – “Machinehead” O X

(These tracks should be available in Europe on PlayStation®3 system February 8th)

Tracks marked with “O” feature support for keyboards; tracks marked with “X” will offer Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price:

$5.49, £2.49 UK, €3.99 EU (440 Microsoft Points, 550 Wii Points™) for “Bush Pack 01”
$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points, 200 Wii Points™) per song
$0.99 USD (100 Wii Points™/80 Microsoft Points), £0.59 UK, €0.79 EU per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Hop

I can't tell if you're serious or not :(

I really want it to be Muse :(

I may be the most frequent user of hyperbole in the world, but there's no way that the most requested song isn't a Muse song with how fervently their fans have been demanding them for the last three years. The only thing that could possibly be bigger is Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin and... yea.

Top Bottom