• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band DLC Announcements

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I just realized, we're never getting Party In The USA despite it being accidentally released in the first Miley Cirus pack a long time ago. I envy those people with the rare song (despite how overplayed and poppy the song is).

pacman85

They didn't even bother adding pro guitar support for their last song ever? Pathetic. No buy from me then.
They said on the Rock Band forums that this song was intended to be released the week of Rock Band 3's anniversary pack where they had a song from each decade but they had realized at that point that was DLC was probably coming to an end sometime soon so they pulled it out of that pack to possibly use as the last song. That pack already had a different song(s) get the pro upgrade so that's this song didn't get any pro upgrades. And based on how long it takes for a song to get through the entire process from beginning to end they couldn't just go back and add the pro upgraded to it after the fact.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
For the interested, there's a 24-hour "Harmonix sendoff" DLC marathon going on right now: http://www.twitch.tv/mystakin/. Started at around 10am EST, goes pretty much until American Pie is in the store. I just wrapped up my two-hour block of participation with more drumming than I've done in ages.

Come on dawg, it's their last song. Give em a break, they've certainly earned it.

Hahaha, that was what they originally sounded without all the post processing? I thought it was just a terrible demo, god damn. I still remember the day my friend was so excited and I watched him play the track, oh I could taste the disappointment. I was going to buy the song until he saved me the cash.

It would be interesting if we were to compare how many songs we've accumulated, I will count on tuesday. Oh man, I don't think any game will ever get the amount of love (read: money) from me ever again.

I spent a lot of money on my pro guitar. As such, I want as many songs as possible to support it. I've been regularly buying DLC since RB1, but without the option for pro guitar on this, I just have no desire to buy it.

AlexBasch

I still play RB3 from time to time, but I don't have a gargantuan amount of DLC as I'd like to, but still.

Last time I played with someone online without getting kicked was in fucking 2009, hahaha.

FyreWulff

For the interested, there's a 24-hour "Harmonix sendoff" DLC marathon going on right now: http://www.twitch.tv/mystakin/. Started at around 10am EST, goes pretty much until American Pie is in the store. I just wrapped up my two-hour block of participation with more drumming than I've done in ages.

I'm tempted to ask to join but I STILL don't have a 5lane guitar up here. And i don't know if anyone wants to watch non-Expert pro keys.

edit: I have a Mustang, but the Mustang is fucking terrible for 5 lane

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The last song is a lot harder than I imagined on guitar, then again I've never heard the song until now, I am so used to the weird al parody haha.

jOX85uZ.jpg

This will probably be it unless some good RBN track comes out (lol).

Also, if any of you on the xbox 360 want to play, I'm available all day! I can play pretty much anything (besides keys).

Edit: Here is their Story of Rock Band video. That's nice. Now please show your next games so I can make sure to open up another mortgage on my home.

Minamu

This'll be the day that I die really pulled my heart strings :'( I assume the price drop is permanent and all content will continue to live on on XBL and PSN?

pacman85

This will probably be it unless some good RBN track comes out (lol).

Also, if any of you on the xbox 360 want to play, I'm available all day! I can play pretty much anything (besides keys).
Nice, you got me almost doubled in number of songs. I am at 678 but I am sure that will go up once I go back and pick up a few songs I missed in the past for whatever reason.

My biggest/thought/worry/concern coming up in the next little while is once they announce the next XBox whether I will be able to play my Rock Band DLC/games on the new console. I understand if the new console is not backwards compatible, that I can just keep my current XBox 360 but I won't be buying a new console until I sell my current one to put towards to keep the cost and number of boxes below my TV down.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Nice, you got me almost doubled in number of songs. I am at 678 but I am sure that will go up once I go back and pick up a few songs I missed in the past for whatever reason.

My biggest/thought/worry/concern coming up in the next little while is once they announce the next XBox whether I will be able to play my Rock Band DLC/games on the new console. I understand if the new console is not backwards compatible, that I can just keep my current XBox 360 but I won't be buying a new console until I sell my current one to put towards to keep the cost and number of boxes below my TV down.

Yeah, I am with you there. With how much I have invested in this damn box (Rock Band DLC, arcade games, and dlc) I am hoping they will make it backwards compatible. That would make me hands down buy a 720 first.

Also that picture I posted is old, today I decided to give the Rock Band store a final spin to see if I have missed any gems over the years. Let's just say, I am in urgent need for more microsoft points.

I take offense to that "(lol)". :(

I'm sorry Ozone! I did buy Blue da ba dee if that counts (Thinking about getting pacman fever). Do you guys still author tracks for Rock Band Network?

pacman85

So if we are not allowed to talk about this here let me know and I will happily remove/edit this post, but have you guys ever played/loaded/tried custom songs on Rock Band 3? I just discovered these last week and it has breathed new life into Rock Band with songs and bands I never thought available are now playable and in Rock Band thanks to the community charting and making the song files available to download for free. They never post links to any songs currently available from Harmonix as they don't want to take away from any potential sales for Harmonix.

Anyway, they just came out with a huge update of a bunch of songs. There are a few steps/requirements/drawbacks you have to do/meet/live with to get these songs to work but I had some of them going the same day I read about this so it's not terribly difficult. The best site I have found is one that just launched called www.customscreators.com where they are releasing a bunch of songs today.

Some of the projects that are already going on are GHtoRB3 where they convert songs from all Guitar Hero games over to Rock Band, RBHarmonies where they actually convert legacy DLC/songs on Rock Band to add harmonies and as of April 12th keys and pro keys support (haven't tried any of these songs yet) and then people actually charting and releasing complete that have never been available in Rock Band for whatever reason.

Just to give you an idea, here are the songs that I have successfully loaded and played on Rock Band 3 (mostly songs from Guitar Hero):
Van Halen - You Really Got Me
Van Halen - Jump'
Van Halen - Panama
Maroon 5 - She Will Be Loved
Maroon 5 - Harder To Breathe
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Metallica - One
Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It
Twisted Sister - I Wanna Rock
Matchbox Twenty - Unwell
Matchbox Twenty - Real World
Incubus - Stellar
Guns N Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
Fountains of Wayne - Stacy's Mom
Village People - YMCA
Rev Theory - Light It Up
Tonic - If You Could Only See
Muse - Knights of Cydonia
Jet - Look What You've Done
Eagles - Hotel California
Tool - Schism
Styx - Mr. Roboto
Train - Hey Soul Sister
Cake - Distance

Hop

In terms of just legitimacy of conversation, I would imagine this:

RBHarmonies where they actually legacy DLC/songs on Rock Band to add harmonies and as of April 12th keys and pro keys support (haven't tried any of these songs yet)

is safest, as it doesn't involve anything even resembling piracy. You actually have to own the real, legal DLC to gain anything out of it. Which is why, at least for now, it's the only one I'm planning to contribute to (doing some harmonies/pro drum fixes for my RBN1.0 songs, and Pro Guitar/Bass upgrades for songs I have official tabs for).

FyreWulff

Quasi-necrobump: So... I guess the RBN pipeline is still out of commission for a while? Really poor timing for them to get attacked, I guess.

It's really slowed down Rock Band threads on other forums I go to.

Hop

Quasi-necrobump: So... I guess the RBN pipeline is still out of commission for a while? Really poor timing for them to get attacked, I guess.

It's really slowed down Rock Band threads on other forums I go to.

Yep, with no formal ETA for return either. :( Totally fucked over a day-and-date release I had scheduled, I've got nowhere near enough time for testing and review now even if it came back up today.

I've been paying more attention to the customs scene lately, myself. Lots of stuff going on there, trying to coordinate and improve the quality so it's more like a continuation of real DLC. But, obviously, we can't talk too much about that here.

I really should get around to working on the RBHP upgrades for my old releases, though.

Prezhulio

So I just recovered my rock band instruments from my parents basement (where they sat unused for the past 5 years since graduating college) and was thinking about picking up Rock band 2 and 3 since I only had played the first one with roommates.....

Is the ps3 version of rock band 3 reaaaally that expensive???

FyreWulff

What are you seeing it go for?

If you're starting from RB3 cold you might want to get a game+keys bundle. A lot of times they are cheaper than the existing copies of the game floating around by itself and the keyboard by itself.

Prezhulio

What are you seeing it go for?

If you're starting from RB3 cold you might want to get a game+keys bundle. A lot of times they are cheaper than the existing copies of the game floating around by itself and the keyboard by itself.

i mean a new copy from amazon is $83, and used are $50-70 on amazon/ebay. gamestop is sold out around me and online of the game only (also the new version is labeled cheaper than the used so i'm assuming it's limited quantities out there). keys bundle is more expensive. i guess i don't care about the import code that would be gone in a used copy, but for his old of a game i can't believe it's priced like this. was it a limited run on ps3 or something?

FyreWulff

i mean a new copy from amazon is $83, and used are $50-70 on amazon/ebay. gamestop is sold out around me and online of the game only (also the new version is labeled cheaper than the used so i'm assuming it's limited quantities out there). keys bundle is more expensive. i guess i don't care about the import code that would be gone in a used copy, but for his old of a game i can't believe it's priced like this. was it a limited run on ps3 or something?

Amazon's prices are absurd for everything, I think it's runaway automated bots that keep hiking the price up so much. A seller on there wanted 400$ for a GH2 Xplorer a couple weeks ago.

The game is 20$ on 360 Games on Demand. Gamestop Canada has it at 13$ new for example. Look around your local stores for it. It should not be and is not worth 83$ just for the game.

FyreWulff

If Rock Band merged with Rocksmith I would cry with happiness forever.

If we could get a game that uses the Rocksmith guitar hookup so it can act as a DSP/amp for the guitar, and then used the RB3 squier or other midi-compatible guitar to show finger positioning..

.. nope, so awesome it'll never happen :(

FyreWulff

Hey gang,

THE NEW PHONEBOOK IS HERE, THE NEW PHONEBOOK IS HERE! /reference to The Jerk

It’s been a rough few weeks for DLC, first with the end of weekly Harmonix content at the beginning of April, then with a prolonged outage due to security updates, but we are happy to report that the Rock Band Network is back in action! The RBN community pushed these 3 songs through this week and we look forward to seeing more new content hit the Xbox 360 on a regular basis now that the pipeline is once again working as intended. Keep checking back in for RBN updates!

Metal

Nonexist - “Fire at Will” (160MSP)

Nu-Metal

Scum of the Earth - “Via Dela Rosa” (160MSP)

Prog

Grand Warp Focus - “The Journey” (80MSP)

These tracks join the following 3 songs which were released in a “soft launch” of content while Creators was down for maintenance. You may have missed them since the last official RBN update, so be sure to give them a listen.

Machinae Supremacy - "Hero"
Nonexist - "Presence Everlasting"
Snow White's Poison Bite - "The End of Prom Night"

woo

So, like, what's the process like for choosing the songs to go through to the RBN crowd for testing and the like? Is there a wishlist that people work towards or is it a series of individuals just getting whatever bands they can on board? Suppose I had an idea that song X from band Y would be a lot of fun to play/learn via RBN, would there be any way for me to contribute to the RBN pipeline of stuff?

Or am I just way off base here?

Hop

So, like, what's the process like for choosing the songs to go through to the RBN crowd for testing and the like? Is there a wishlist that people work towards or is it a series of individuals just getting whatever bands they can on board? Suppose I had an idea that song X from band Y would be a lot of fun to play/learn via RBN, would there be any way for me to contribute to the RBN pipeline of stuff?

Or am I just way off base here?

We talk to bands or labels. If they're interested, have the necessary material available, and a business agreement can be worked out, contracts are made and development happens.

Wishlists do exist, but I try to emphasize the "wish" part to people. It's mostly people going for what they can get. Sometimes that works out surprisingly well, though.

So if we are not allowed to talk about this here let me know and I will happily remove/edit this post, but have you guys ever played/loaded/tried custom songs on Rock Band 3? I just discovered these last week and it has breathed new life into Rock Band with songs and bands I never thought available are now playable and in Rock Band thanks to the community charting and making the song files available to download for free. They never post links to any songs currently available from Harmonix as they don't want to take away from any potential sales for Harmonix.

Anyway, they just came out with a huge update of a bunch of songs. There are a few steps/requirements/drawbacks you have to do/meet/live with to get these songs to work but I had some of them going the same day I read about this so it's not terribly difficult. The best site I have found is one that just launched called www.customscreators.com where they are releasing a bunch of songs today.

Some of the projects that are already going on are GHtoRB3 where they convert songs from all Guitar Hero games over to Rock Band, RBHarmonies where they actually convert legacy DLC/songs on Rock Band to add harmonies and as of April 12th keys and pro keys support (haven't tried any of these songs yet) and then people actually charting and releasing complete that have never been available in Rock Band for whatever reason.

Just to give you an idea, here are the songs that I have successfully loaded and played on Rock Band 3 (mostly songs from Guitar Hero):
Van Halen - Jump'
Van Halen - Panama
Metallica - One
Matchbox Twenty - Unwell
Incubus - Stellar
Village People - YMCA
Rev Theory - Light It Up
Tool - Schism
Styx - Mr. Roboto
Train - Hey Soul Sister
Cake - Distance

How exactly do you get these? Anyway, now that Xbone is not BC I wonder if there is a way to handle BC, especially since you needed the first RB disk for the songs.

We talk to bands or labels. If they're interested, have the necessary material available, and a business agreement can be worked out, contracts are made and development happens.

Wishlists do exist, but I try to emphasize the "wish" part to people. It's mostly people going for what they can get. Sometimes that works out surprisingly well, though.

Cool cool. Appreciate the response. I'm curious to know about the bolded though. What gets asked?

Has the process for helping out with RBN changed much since the start? Is there still that XNA Creators fee thing in effect? I'm low on cash and high on free time and would like to support RBN while it's still about.

Van Halen - Jump'
Van Halen - Panama
Metallica - One
Matchbox Twenty - Unwell
Incubus - Stellar
Village People - YMCA
Rev Theory - Light It Up
Tool - Schism
Styx - Mr. Roboto
Train - Hey Soul Sister
Cake - Distance

Thats interesting. I searched the sight linked but couldn't find where to get started.

Hop

Cool cool. Appreciate the response. I'm curious to know about the bolded though. What gets asked?

Has the process for helping out with RBN changed much since the start? Is there still that XNA Creators fee thing in effect? I'm low on cash and high on free time and would like to support RBN while it's still about.

Usually stuff like, are they aware of the games, would they be willing to promote/distribute their music in this fashion, stuff like that. Admittedly, I haven't done it in ages, most of my clients came to me.

Process is same as it ever was, still the XNA cost and all that. It's really kinda built up its own culture kinda thing over the years, which I guess would be an invisible barrier to participating as well.

Yeah, how does that work? Is this one of those "JTAG xboxes" only type deals that we can't talk about here?

Nope, they work with an unmodded box. Just need a USB drive and some PC software. But digging into that community has made me very grateful for RBN's level of standards, and I say that fully aware of the broken shit RBN lets out on occasion.

web01

Wow the RB3 customs stuff seems really cool, should be easy easy enough to get working, no need to have a hacked 360 which I assumed would be needed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nope, they work with an unmodded box. Just need a USB drive and some PC software. But digging into that community has made me very grateful for RBN's level of standards, and I say that fully aware of the broken shit RBN lets out on occasion.

Wow the RB3 customs stuff seems really cool, should be easy easy enough to get working, no need to have a hacked 360 which I assumed would be needed.

Wow, it's shockingly easy. Well, except that you need an old version of RB3 anyway.

I'm not surprised that the charting probably ain't that great though. lol

pacman85

How exactly do you get these? Anyway, now that Xbone is not BC I wonder if there is a way to handle BC, especially since you needed the first RB disk for the songs.
Thats interesting. I searched the sight linked but couldn't find where to get started.
If you go to the FAQ on customscreators.com it has some useful info. The YouTube video linked on the FAQ page is a good place to start. Also the link to a thread on the ScoreHero forums explains the process in written form if you prefer that.
Yeah, no hacks or JTAG's or anything like that. I will be honest, I was kinda overwhelmed when I first started looking into it all and discovering it a month or two ago but once you understand the process and have everything you need setup, it becomes VERY EASY to just add new songs onto your USB drive as they are released.
Wow, it's shockingly easy. Well, except that you need an old version of RB3 anyway.
I'm not surprised that the charting probably ain't that great though. lol
Like Hop says there are definitely some customs out there are charted poorly and don't contain all instruments and/or difficulties. It definitely makes you appreciate the quality of the songs HMX and RBN puts out though. That being said, almost all of the songs you will find on customscreators.com have all instruments (where applicable) and all difficulties charted. The RB Customs spreadsheet is where you get into songs that don't have all instruments/difficulties charted. I have no affiliation with any of these sites by the way I was just so happy to have discovered these hundreds of additional songs I can play on Rock Band that I wanted to post about it here. Especially songs that we never thought would be in the game.

Hop

Like Hop says there are definitely some customs out there are charted poorly and don't contain all instruments and/or difficulties. It definitely makes you appreciate the quality of the songs HMX and RBN puts out though. That being said, almost all of the songs you will find on customscreators.com have all instruments (where applicable) and all difficulties charted. The RB Customs spreadsheet is where you get into songs that don't have all instruments/difficulties charted. I have no affiliation with any of these sites by the way I was just so happy to have discovered these hundreds of additional songs I can play on Rock Band that I wanted to post about it here. Especially songs that we never thought would be in the game.

Yea, most of the charts on CC that I had issues with were actually GH converts. (And they were relatively sizable things, like vocals being way out of alignment and the like.) So I don't know if those were poor conversions or if GH was just that awful. But the ones I've pulled that were authored for that project have been respectable.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Seven songs being delisted from the Rock Band music store. http://www.rockband.com/blog/information-about-rock-band-dlc-re-licensing

Tokio Hotel - "Monsoon"
Die Toten Hosen - "Hier Kommt Alex"
Les Wampas - "Manu Chao"
Them Terribles - "Bullets & Guns"
The Material - "Moving to Seattle"
Crooked X - "Rock 'n' Roll Dream"
Vesuvius - "Promised Land"

"Bullets & Guns" and "Moving to Seattle" are part of the MTV2 Pack, "Hier Kommt Alex" is not playable on Rock Band 3 (and I'm pretty sure it's already been delisted), and "Promised Land" is free (it's a tie-in to that Rainn Wilson movie nobody saw).

You have a month to pick them up.

Top Bottom