• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Platform |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckRacer

2008 wasn't necessarily a bad year for gaming, but imo it was very disappointing.

– Smash Bros Brawl was somehow worse than Melee, even after a seven year wait
– Speaking of Wii stuff, its 2008 game lineup was just a single notch above the PSP's lineup (which is a dead system)
– Speaking of Nintendo stuff, literally nothing other than Layton interested me on the DS
– Rainbow Six Vegas 2 should've been a patch
– DICE somehow managed to screw up Battlefield: BC's multiplayer
– Mercenaries 2 was a buggy, glitchy mess after a year long delay
– NFS Undercover was a stab to the heart
– Resistance 2's single player made me, a fan of RFOM's SP, lose interest in that franchise
– LittleBigPlanet's online infrastructure, at least before I sold it, was a complete mess
– Fable 2, while it wasn't disappointing, was boring for the first half of the game, pretty cool for the second half, and then it slaps you across the face.
– Metal Gear Solid 4, while it was very enjoyable overall (and this is from an MGS virgin), the taste of Kojima's semen near the end wasn't very pleasant
– Midnight Club: Los Angeles's cars have the handling of Hydro Thunder's boats. Not a fun game. Hopefully the 360 version from Gamefly makes me enjoy it more, but I doubt it

I'll probably get all the gargoyles and keys in Fable 2 and sell that, and maybe just bite the bullet and buy more new stuff. I have like $90 in Best Buy gift cards, too.

2008 still had some pretty bitchin' stuff like Braid, GeoWars 2, Motorstorm 2 (PS3's PGR4!), RB2 of course, and Burnout, but 2007 was miles better. Call of Duty 4, Mass Effect, PGR4, Skate, Forza 2, Crackdown, Halo 3, Uncharted, Mario Galaxy, RB1, etc. 2009 looks a lot better though.

/offtopic

Magik

jamesinclair said:
Then again, why not make it optional?

Options: Use other instrument charts YES NO
Chose instrument: Guitar, Bass, Rhythm Guitar, Guitar 2, Drums, Singer, Piano, Other string

Dave's reply is one of the big reasons why it's unlikely that we will ever see selectable charts. The 'outrage' would be huge especially in this thread alone.

On top of that, adding additional charts would require more work on top of the exist amount of work and will just prolong content.

It just won't happen, at least not with RB and GH.

M3wThr33

Banned
2008 was a bit bland for me.
The DS suffered most of all, definitely. I had Rock Band to keep me busy ALL YEAR so I didn't notice, but yeah... uhm, there's been better years.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
birdman said:
'09 is better for one reason and one reason only: Street Fighter 4.
Fixed for me.

ATTEMPTING TO STAY ON TOPIC: I DL'ed the Roy Orbison pack and it is so fun on vocals. I have 261 downloaded songs now. I'm scared to calculate how much I have spent on DLC. :(

Magik

Archie said:
Fixed for me.

ATTEMPTING TO STAY ON TOPIC: I DL'ed the Roy Orbison pack and it is so fun on vocals. I have 261 downloaded songs now. I'm scared to calculate how much I have spent on DLC. :(

It's better that you not.

DuckRacer

Archie said:
Fixed for me.

I've spent $125 on Rock Band DLC last year. That number would be almost $150 if I didn't get any points cards on discount.

There's a fair amount of stuff I regret too. :/ Like I said before, I'm cutting back this year. (Until Ten and the Metallica 12-pack both come out, and I'm dropping $40 on those two things combined. lol)

edit: okay, I feel a lot better now.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'd wager I've saved about $50 or so catching points cards on sale and getting them as gifts and stuff, but that's still alot of money!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Rock Band 1 - $130 (Gift card)
DLC - $391
360 - $350
HDD - $150
2 years of Xbox Live to play RB online - $90 ($50 first year, $40 second year due to a sale).
HDTV - $700
Rock Band 2 instruments - $17 (TRU sale and reselling FTW)

I've spent over $1800 on my plastic toy instrument game. I'm gonna go kill myself rofl.

DuckRacer

Archie said:
Rock Band 1 - $130 (Gift card)
DLC - $391
360 - $350
HDD - $150
2 years of Xbox Live to play RB online - $90 ($50 first year, $40 second year due to a sale).
HDTV - $700
Rock Band 2 instruments - $17 (TRU sale and reselling FTW)

I've spent over $1800 on my plastic toy instrument game. I'm gonna go kill myself rofl.
I'll join in

Rock Band 1 – Gifted
Rock Band 2 – $60
Rock Band 2 Guitar – $50
DLC – $128
HDD – $130
Rock Band 2 PREMIUM THEME™ – $2.40 :barf

So $372.something out-of-pocket. Not too bad I guess. It's provided more entertainment and enjoyment than every other game ever.

It shows how good a deal the disc-based games are, value-wise.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The way I see it, if Rock Band had never came out I would not have picked up trying to learn the real guitar and I would still be an emotionally stunted Nintendo manchild posting gifs and flaunting in the NPD thread.

Harmonix is truly the greatest company ever created.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I've stopped buying games for months and just buy RB DLC. I've saved hundreds compared to what I used to do.

I'm currently in a war with myself on buying the Stage Kit and 3 cymbal pack. Being that this is the only game I play might as well go all out.

Archie said:
The way I see it, if Rock Band had never came out I would not have picked up trying to learn the real guitar and I would still be an emotionally stunted Nintendo manchild posting gifs and flaunting in the NPD thread.

Harmonix is truly the greatest company ever created.

On a related note, if I had not decided to pick up real guitar in response to Guitar Hero, I wouldn't have spent hundreds of dollars on guitars and an amp.

Porkepik

:( :( :(

Well I thought that broken drum pedal were for hardcore player but I suppose I stomp too hard on it. This is a RB2 PS3 pedal, the metal and the plastice has cracked at the base still not broken in half but I suppse it will happen soon, I'm out of the 60 days warranty so can anyone say what my option are at this moment.

I don't think I should buy a new RB2 pedal (will try to repair this one but don'T know how) If it fails I consider buying a 3rd party pedal, anyone with suggestion. As I said I'm not hardcore (Play on hard or expert but anything over 3 * on expert ist still not in my reach)
I love the game and intend to take drum lessons but not before summer so Nothing super expensive, is there anything medium priced that should last more than the plasticky RB2 pedal (the metal plating does not seem really helpful)

xbhaskarx

BigBlackGamer said:
If RB3 doesnt come out in 2009 I at least better be able to export the beatles songs into RB2. otherwise this will be the worst year ever for the RB "platform"

Very true. Actually it still would be the worst year, unless we're getting like 65 Beatles songs.

There's some truth in their statement. Last time I checked Harmonix weren't making plastic instrument until Red Octane decided to make their westernized version of Guitar Freaks.

Varna

TheGreatDave said:
There's some truth in their statement. Last time I checked Harmonix weren't making plastic instrument until Red Octane decided to make their westernized version of Guitar Freaks.

True. But if Harmonix does not deserve any credit then certainly the people at the helm of Guitar Hero deserve nothing but contempt (since they have done absolutely nothing but sit back and wait for Harmonix to show them the way).

M3wThr33 said:
Only RB1 really needs it.

Although I agree with you, my wife really doesn't like the sound it makes when people hit the edge of the drums, which the RB2 drums still allow for.

So it's a deal breaker if the silencers don't play nicely with RB2.

Varna said:
True. But if Harmonix does not deserve any credit then certainly the people at the helm of Guitar Hero deserve nothing but contempt (since they have done absolutely nothing but sit back and wait for Harmonix to show them the way).

Harmonix deserve credit for the gameplay, obviously, but at the end of the day the reason Guitar Hero is popular is because of the controller and the songs Red Octane apparently were instrumental in licensing.

And given that it's well known Activision were working on a Drum Hero game before Guitar Hero 3 came out, to say they've just sat back and waiting for Harmonix to give them the genius idea of adding another one of Konami's gameplay ideas to their games is a bit silly. I'm all for giving Harmonix credit for creating games I love but there's a reason I've played Guitar Hero 100x more than I played Frequency, and that reason isn't purely down to them.

Varna

OK, I'm not going to pretends I really know much about what they were working one. I just find it really hard to to believe GHWT was purely coincidental. If they had been in fact working on Drum Hero all that time, why weren't they able to see the problem in their current star power activation method? It just looks like they took RBs ideas and tried to 1-up them (and failed like in the previous stated example).

Why weren't Harmonix able to see the problem with their slow-ass scrolling speed in Career mode in RB1 if Rock Band had been in development for awhile? Shit happens. The drumming having issues isn't really an argument for the concept not existing until after RB's announcement.

WT is obviously a reaction to RB, but I don't think that's necessarily any worse than RB1 basically being Red Octane's guitar design + a bunch of Konami's ideas rolled in to one. Harmonix really have got away with taking a lot of other people's ideas without any backlash. Personally, I don't give a shit, but I'm not going to condemn another company for adding features another game has to remain competitive.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
So where exactly is my double bass I was promised months ago?

Are they going to do the 360 Xplorer route and have yet another useless "expansion" port?

M3wThr33

Banned
Actually, I've talked to QA at Neversoft. They did JACK SHIT with Drum Hero. It was all a bit rushed, however cymbals were the most important focus of the drum set. They wanted those from the start.

I just wish the GH drums kept the pedal in place. I had to buy the carpet gripper for office chairs to help keep it from moving. Works, though.

M3wThr33 said:
Actually, I've talked to QA at Neversoft. They did JACK SHIT with Drum Hero. It was all a bit rushed, however cymbals were the most important focus of the drum set. They wanted those from the start.

I just wish the GH drums kept the pedal in place. I had to buy the carpet gripper for office chairs to help keep it from moving. Works, though.

All I remember is a GameInformer where they said they had a studio working on Drum Hero and it ended up being eaten up by World Tour. I can believe there wasn't much of a game there, but I still think it shows an intent to do drum gameplay before Rock Band. RB probably just stopped Activision from being able to do the Singing Hero and Drum Hero games you can bet they probably would have rather done ;)

Varna

TheGreatDave said:
Why weren't Harmonix able to see the problem with their slow-ass scrolling speed in Career mode in RB1 if Rock Band had been in development for awhile? Shit happens. The drumming having issues isn't really an argument for the concept not existing until after RB's announcement.

WT is obviously a reaction to RB, but I don't think that's necessarily any worse than RB1 basically being Red Octane's guitar design + a bunch of Konami's ideas rolled in to one. Harmonix really have got away with taking a lot of other people's ideas without any backlash. Personally, I don't give a shit, but I'm not going to condemn another company for adding features another game has to remain competitive.

I didn't mean to say the concept had not existed, but an example of how they rushed out the idea in order to try to compete.

I can't say much about your other points. You are correct.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
This weekend was awesome! First of all: Lenny Kravitz is more fun than I thought. My guitar-skills are also picking up, I'm starting to actually finish 3rd tier songs on hard without getting in the red zone. I noticed I used the plastic upright its left and right of the fretbuttons as a guidance to where I should land my fingers after moving them, but now I can almost always do it on pure instinct.

If someone only told me hard was so much fun, I would've started this back in the Guitar Hero 1-days!

who's down for some GAF games on saturday. I'll probably stream it on JTV.

TheGreatDave said:

thats becuze HMX rulez and neversoft drulez.

Belgand

BigBlackGamer said:
You guys may not think we need RB3 but there is still alot of work to be done IMO....

Stars
Separate Scrolling Speeds For Each instrument
100+ more amazing songs
4v4 Battle of the bands
More improved sorting
Jukebox Mode
Ability to have 2 singers in your band (male and female) (changes dynamically in BWT)
Cymbals Charted but not mandatory
Even more clothes and instruments
Make Guitar/Vox and legitimate combo (shared star power, ability to pick the combo just like any other instrument)
Make traditional career a option within BWT
Fix the fucking leaderboards so everything is instant
Different Breakneck speed options
Ability to set the band for Quickplay in Options
Get even more detailed and crazy with the animations and movements of the characters on stage
countdown screen after pause

All good and I would say more or less necessary improvements (though I think sorting works fine now). Allow me to add some more:

• Allow vocals as a combo with every instrument.
  • Implement background vocals/multiple singers. Again, as an option, but if we had backing vocals added in as optional (i.e. won't fuck up your score if you skip them sort of like the cymbal sections) it could be a lot of fun and add to the band feel.
  • Better setlists in BWT that aren't just a load of random and create your own.

DuckRacer said:
When HMX realized they had to re-license the Rock Band 1 tracks, they did so when Metallica had signed their exclusivity contract – that's why Enter Sandman isn't exportable. If Rock Band 3 came out tomorrow, Battery wouldn't be exportable because 1) it was licensed along with Enter Sandman and 16 other songs, and 2) they can't go back in time and preemptively license Battery for exporting.

Thing is, Rock Band 3 likely isn't coming until what, autumn 2010? Metallica's exclusivity contract will probably be up and they can get the export license for Battery (and Enter Sandman, if they wanted to.)

Your point still stands for everything else, though.

The official explanation I read was that Metallica's contract requires that they get a percentage of the sales. The export was going to be a flat license fee. That's why it didn't move over.

Better set lists in BWT is a good one. The next RB should dynamically know what DLC you have and arrange set list's accordingly.

If person X has these songs then this setlist is playable. If not they can play the on disc set lists or do mystery set lists.

birdman

Have a very Hayley birthday Pedro!

8lsntr

7a3j3u

DuckRacer

Belgand said:
The official explanation I read was that Metallica's contract requires that they get a percentage of the sales. The export was going to be a flat license fee. That's why it didn't move over.
Haha, I forgot about that. I think I was saying that a while back too. :|

I don't think we'll ever know the logistics. I just want my Metallica.

Belgand

DuckRacer said:
2008 wasn't necessarily a bad year for gaming, but imo it was very disappointing.

– Smash Bros Brawl was somehow worse than Melee, even after a seven year wait
– Speaking of Wii stuff, its 2008 game lineup was just a single notch above the PSP's lineup (which is a dead system)
– Speaking of Nintendo stuff, literally nothing other than Layton interested me on the DS
– Rainbow Six Vegas 2 should've been a patch
– DICE somehow managed to screw up Battlefield: BC's multiplayer
– Mercenaries 2 was a buggy, glitchy mess after a year long delay
– NFS Undercover was a stab to the heart
– Resistance 2's single player made me, a fan of RFOM's SP, lose interest in that franchise
– LittleBigPlanet's online infrastructure, at least before I sold it, was a complete mess
– Fable 2, while it wasn't disappointing, was boring for the first half of the game, pretty cool for the second half, and then it slaps you across the face.
– Metal Gear Solid 4, while it was very enjoyable overall (and this is from an MGS virgin), the taste of Kojima's semen near the end wasn't very pleasant
– Midnight Club: Los Angeles's cars have the handling of Hydro Thunder's boats. Not a fun game. Hopefully the 360 version from Gamefly makes me enjoy it more, but I doubt it

I'll probably get all the gargoyles and keys in Fable 2 and sell that, and maybe just bite the bullet and buy more new stuff. I have like $90 in Best Buy gift cards, too.

2008 still had some pretty bitchin' stuff like Braid, GeoWars 2, Motorstorm 2 (PS3's PGR4!), RB2 of course, and Burnout, but 2007 was miles better. Call of Duty 4, Mass Effect, PGR4, Skate, Forza 2, Crackdown, Halo 3, Uncharted, Mario Galaxy, RB1, etc. 2009 looks a lot better though.

/offtopic

You also ignored Mirror's Edge which was a great idea that had a lot of us really hyped about it for a long time (hell, I read a scant preview in the free sub I had to Computer Gaming World over a year or so ago and got excited), but came out and failed to deliver.

Dead Space, from the demo I've played was good, but it somehow seems to have not made a huge splash.

Valkyria Chronicles is great, but it's going to be yet another game like Psychonauts or Beyond Good and Evil that doesn't sell like it ought to and remains a critically acclaimed cult classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom