• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Platform |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grecco

Belgand said:
You also ignored Mirror's Edge which was a great idea that had a lot of us really hyped about it for a long time (hell, I read a scant preview in the free sub I had to Computer Gaming World over a year or so ago and got excited), but came out and failed to deliver.

Dead Space, from the demo I've played was good, but it somehow seems to have not made a huge splash.

Valkyria Chronicles is great, but it's going to be yet another game like Psychonauts or Beyond Good and Evil that doesn't sell like it ought to and remains a critically acclaimed cult classic.

Speak for yourself. I loved Mirrors Edge.

Belgand

TheGreatDave said:
There's some truth in their statement. Last time I checked Harmonix weren't making plastic instrument until Red Octane decided to make their westernized version of Guitar Freaks.

But it wasn't a really new or original idea to begin with. I remember online and personally not long after GH came out there was talk that since Guitar Freaks connects to DrumMania and Harmonix had already made Karaoke Revolution why not just link all three together into a full band game.

That Harmonix actually decided to develop some drums and do just that says more that they were listening to what people were already asking for. It's really just a synthesis of what Konami had already done and Harmonix's pre-existing vocal tech (again for Konami).

When Neversoft chose not to innovate, but just got scabbed onto the project by Activision (who seemingly thought that only the name was the important thing) and Harmonix released a significant improvement they knew that if they didn't copy it they'd be dead.

But as far as parentage? Yeah. Red Octane was making plastic instruments and DDR pads and they thought they might be able to sell a US version of Guitar Freaks. They got the top rhythm software company around to build the game for them and it was a great partnership until it became really successful and they each got bought out by competing companies.

I'd say that Red Octane were the ones to rip-off Konami. In making the software and moving things forward Harmonix were the ones who had to innovate and actually make something new.

Falagard

McBradders said:

In case anyone missed it - this was written by Krist Novoselic, former basist for Nirvana about trying Rock Band for the first time in a shopping center:

I know about Rock Band, because Nirvana has some songs on it. I had never tried the game before, so I gave it a go. I worked through the menu and found the song "In Bloom." I picked up the little guitar-shaped controller and hit the stage.

I knew the bass line to the song, of course, but I couldn't quite master this new, different way of playing it.

The game reminded me of Space Invaders. I tried to hit the notes cascading down the screen, but could barely keep up.

Meanwhile, this kid was watching me fumble with the game. I became self-conscious and took the controller off. I handed it to him, and he proceeded to jam on the song—and was really good! He had no idea that I was the musician he was emulating on the game, and I didn't tell him.

Haha, oh man. Playing In Bloom in front of a member of Nirvana. He should have told the kid who he was. The kid never would have believed him, but it would have been funny.

Belgand

BigBlackGamer said:
Better set lists in BWT is a good one. The next RB should dynamically know what DLC you have and arrange set list's accordingly.

If person X has these songs then this setlist is playable. If not they can play the on disc set lists or do mystery set lists.

Well, would it be so hard to add a "hometown" tag to the DLC so I can have more dynamic content? How about instead of just making the genre setlists the on-disc stuff making them a random selection of four or five songs from that genre? Even in the challenges it's just one for on-disc and an "infinite" one of everything else that you own. Maybe try to make it work well in a manner somewhat like a human would do: five metal songs, one with a 1-3 difficulty, three with a 2-4 difficulty, and one with a 4-5 difficulty. Picking that out should be trivial. Give it a wider range if you're finding it causes problems or it won't work for on-disc songs only. Or establish maximums and minimums. If you only have two songs it won't be enough to trigger the four song minimum, but if you have twenty it'll max out at six. Grade the difficulty along with this like a Family Combo at a Chinese place ("for three or more add Kung Pao Chicken, for four or more add extra 3-4 star song).

Or combine some of these to not only do something cool, but make it feel more real and interesting. Sort of like how there was a grunge setlist in Seattle or an Austin indie rock setlist. Give me a West Coast Punk setlist that is smart enough to add in a Dead Kennedys song when I buy the DLC. Give me something more specific and maybe a classic 80s thrash setlist (we've got "Battery" and "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?" already. If it had "Raining Blood" and "Madhouse" we'd have all the big four). Something that shows you put some thought into it. The current listing just feels half-assed and rushed. Playing the bigger arenas is almost always a chore with nothing really new or interesting going on in the vast majority of them. Just a bigger random setlist and a bigger create a setlist.

How about one-offs? Maybe make RAWK-AID a real thing. A cool little intro or such, a lengthy setlist, a custom venue, something interesting and unexpected that happens in the middle of the set. Make it into a set-piece rather than just yet another create a setlist with a different name that means nothing.

Maybe make encores more interesting. Rather than the pick it in advance concept (likely due to how the engine works... they probably can't add a song to a setlist once it's in progress) go back to the old style. I play through a list, I'm tired and worn out, but dammit the crowd wants more. If I don't play the encore I lost fans, but if I pull it off it'll give me even more. I also really miss those cool encore animations. Why did those go away?

Oh and a final nitpicky thing. I hate how the loading screens so often are just tips rather than the fun trivia ones. Give me the option to turn off the tip mode. I don't need to keep being told I can turn on "No Fail mode". I knew I could do that before I even bought the game. I'd rather learn interesting trivia and get the fun jokes that were in the first few games.

M3wThr33 said:
Actually, I've talked to QA at Neversoft. They did JACK SHIT with Drum Hero. It was all a bit rushed, however cymbals were the most important focus of the drum set. They wanted those from the start.

The cymbals, in all fairness (though a good idea) were part of the one-upmanship. They wanted to be able to say that our drums have six inputs compared to their five plus look we have cymbals!

I still hold out hope that they decide to include optional indicated cymbals for RB3. If they announced that I'd probably buy the cymbals. Until then... ehh, I can't see why I would.

Falagard

Kafel said:
I'm sure the kid decided to play guitar, not bass. That's probably why he didn't say anything.

Who cares if the kid was playing bass or guitar? You're playing a Nirvana song on a plastic toy next to the real bassist from Nirvana.

M3wThr33

Banned
Falagard said:
I know about Rock Band, because Nirvana has some songs on it. I had never tried the game before, so I gave it a go. I worked through the menu and found the song "In Bloom." I picked up the little microphone-shaped controller and hit the stage.

I knew the lyrics to the song, of course, but I couldn't quite master this new, different way of singing it.

The game reminded me of Space Invaders. I tried to match the patch scrolling past the screen, but could barely keep up.

Meanwhile, this kid was watching me mumble with the game. I became self-conscious and got booed off. I handed it to him, and he proceeded to jam on the song—and was really good! He had no idea that I was the musician he was emulating on the game, and I didn't tell him.

If Kurt was here to play it...

Belgand

Putting that issue aside, I like how the game makes the player focus on certain components of the music. When I listen to songs, I'll usually tune my ear to the bass line. With Rock Band, you can do that, but also see the procession of notes.

Very, very true. I find this to be invaluable. I'll be playing a song I've heard a million times before and notice some new little thing in it that I'd never really heard. A tiny bit on the guitar, for example, that usually got buried in the mix a bit and, well, was probably my own fault for not listening critically enough.

I find that I'm learning a lot more about the construction of bass lines and drum parts from playing. Especially bass because as much as you try to listen to recorded music, well, it can get buried a bit and the visuals really help to make it clearer.

DuckRacer

I noticed some new (to me) drumming bits in Crazy on You yesterday.

edit: I also listed Fable 2 on eBay a few moments ago and I already sold it for $40. What's better is that I originally paid $40 on Amazon for it, so I essentially lost no money. Yay.

Belgand

In a completely unrelated area if you haven't seen Look Around You on either BBC2 or YouTube already I strongly advise you to watch it on Adult Swim since they just started showing it. A shame that they already did "Maths" which was, in my mind, one of the best modules. You can find them all on YouTube though. They are glorious.

Series Two was a bit less good, but I could see what they were trying to do and at least they were doing something different. Didn't work so well though.

Weirdly, at least based on last night, they're running the 15 minutes episodes in 30 minute blocks of two. Considering how much Adult Swim runs in 15 minute segments already it just seems odd. They're going to burn through the initial series in a month doing it this way. I suspect it's so they don't have to reschedule to run the 30 minute second series.

BigBlackGamer said:
change your avatar back to the one you had. this one sucks. :mad:
this one?

the bird one is from a book I read earlier this year. I really liked it.
header.gif

also: what's with the tinyurl links that I've been seeing lately? how does the service work?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
TheGreatDave said:

what a bunch of self important drivel that open to the article is. I would think at some point people would stop talking like high school stoners trying to come off as intellectual and esoteric and failing horribly.

Clearly, this guy never got to the point where he realized it wasn't cool.

bune duggy said:
this one?

the bird one is from a book I read earlier this year. I really liked it.
header.gif

also: what's with the tinyurl links that I've been seeing lately? how does the service work?

Twitter has a character limit. A long URL can take up a lot of that limit. Tinyurl gives you a tiny URL.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Me back again looking for some tips on playing guitar on hard. I'm finding hard difficulty hard to cope with the extra fret colour.

Whats the best technique to use when all 5 colours are to be played:
Shuffle all fingers down one colour?
Index finger on red, pinky on orange leaving green free?

I have small hands so really struggle to get my pinky onto the orange with fingers in green to blue grip?

Whats the best song in RB1 to practice with? I'm trying In Bloom at the moment.

birdman

navanman said:
Me back again looking for some tips on playing guitar on hard. I'm finding hard difficulty hard to cope with the extra fret colour.

Whats the best technique to use when all 5 colours are to be played:
Shuffle all fingers down one colour?
Index finger on red, pinky on orange leaving green free?

I have small hands so really struggle to get my pinky onto the orange with fingers in green to blue grip?

This. It's easier to stretch your index to green than it is to stretch your pinky.

ChrisGoldstein said:
I cant find it on the RB page. Anything come out tomorrow?

Steve F'in Miller!!!!!!!!

Steve Miller Band “Space Cowboy”
Steve Miller Band “Take the Money and Run”
Steve Miller Band “The Joker”
Godsmack “I Stand Alone”
Belly “Feed the Tree”
Ghost Hounds “Wind Me Up”
Mute Math “Typical”
Rob Zombie “War Zone”

Don't know if I'm just late but whatever, this thread moves so fast so I post it again: HMX has again put up the request a song feature on their website. I think the feature was missing on the new site at the beginning, so just scroll down to the bottom here. Happy requesting :)

Edit: Now that I took a closer look, there are pretty awesome compatibility charts for everything, too.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Thanks.

Holy shit steve miller and godsmack, fuck yeah!

I still got 800 points left from that 1600 points card I bought for the fable 2 dlc

Well 2 songs from guitar hero wt in 1 week. I doubt we'll ever get tool but I can hope

edit---cool, requested lateralus by tool. It has no cuss words either it would be perfect, although it's almost like 10 minutes

Tenks

drmcclin said:
I would freakin' love some Tool in RB. Srsly.

Aenema requested. Wait.. that came out wrong. Shit, pun.

I find the Tool songs in GHWT seriously repetitive and just plain unfun to play, personally.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
drmcclin said:
I would freakin' love some Tool in RB. Srsly.

Aenema requested. Wait.. that came out wrong. Shit, pun.

Haha yeah. H is like one of my favorite songs ever. That whole album is good, along with lateralus.

I rented GH WT when it came out just to play parabola, schism, and vicarious.

I'm waiting to buy just the drums when they fix them though. I would get the disc but I have no space on my hdd due to all the RB stuff. I just ordered a 120 gig drive off of ebay I hope it works =)

edit-- schism has just been played out on the radio.

parabola i really love and vicarious is great too but to each his own, whatever floats your boat, etc

wooo officially done posting a score for every song on expert in RB (except Naked bros and Miranda Cosgrove)

I came sooo close to 5 starring sleepwalker which is deceptively not hard on drums even though its the highest tier.

My final order of business in RB2 is 1,000,000,000 fans and beat every single challenge on expert.

robut said:
http://shawnelliott.blogspot.com/2009/01/are-we-what-we-link.html

and a counter-point to the article Dave linked to. My original post was going to be more like this, more about the positive things Rock Band brings (hanging out with friends, exposing people to music they may never heard before). I doubt anyone goes into Rock Band looking for a "subversive experience".

I think the number of people in this very thread who have posted about picking up an instrument or already owning one before they played RB and GH is proof in and of itself. I see the games as a celebration of music (except for when it's advertisments for shitty bands); it's not a replacement for the real thing, but I really don't think it's trying to be.

burnfout

BigBlackGamer said:
wooo officially done posting a score for every song on expert in RB (except Naked bros and Miranda Cosgrove)

I came sooo close to 5 starring sleepwalker which is deceptively not hard on drums even though its the highest tier.

My final order of business in RB2 is 1,000,000,000 fans and beat every single challenge on expert.

Congratz!

Give me six months! ( i hope)

Xevren

BigBlackGamer said:
who's down for some GAF games on saturday. I'll probably stream it on JTV.

thats becuze HMX rulez and neversoft drulez.

I'd love to play with you guys, and happy birthday Pedro! Mine's on Thursday. January birthdays for the win.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm down for some games this weekend BBG. Gotta play as many videogames as possible before TAX SEASON begins and I start working 70 hour weeks. :'(

Vargas

I finished the endless setlist on guitar yesterday. All I have to say is....FUCK VISIONS. If it wasn't for that crap I would have received The Bladder of Steel trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom