• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Huh I guess it isn't just me then. I spent a day with it yesterday and something DOES feel off with the ZSR somehow. It's odd because I can flick fine and the aerial stuff feels normal but my powershots are kinda off target. Shame, I really love that Gobo paint job.

Dipship31

Today at Nintendos booth at PAX West, I had the pleasure of playing a few games of Rocket League with my son on a couple of locally networked Nintendo Switches. While the general novelty was neat, and I do look forward to playing Rocket League on the go or wherever, really, I sort of lost my hype for it because of 2 key factors:

- the controls were harder with everything cramped together on the switch. I found myself hitting wrong buttons, or pressing L down when I just wanted L2/LZ, and other pretty basic cumbersomeness.. while I figure this could just be something I have to get used to, I did feel like it was not something I could use for like a serious game. Maybe better with pro controller but...
- the other thing was the game itself seemed..... slow...? I donno if it's the size of the screen, or maybe the camera was different enough to my home settings that it was extra noticeable, but it didn't feel fast like AT all... I never felt like I was playing like a fast competitive game. I felt like I was streaming it from PS4 to Vita...

This was all exacerbated by the fact that one of the Psyonix reps was talking to another player as they finished and I heard her say, almost word for word... 'so what do you think? Does it feel like Rocket League?'

This is a weird question if you think about it... what would be the point in asking that? Like shouldn't it of course feel like Rocket League? Isn't it Rocket League? Why would it NOT feel like Rocket League? What do you mean does it feel LIKE Rocket League? Again, isnt it Rocket League?

Anyways... I guess i'm just bummed because when it comes to Rocket League on the switch I have much lower expectations than it will effectively be a novelty and not something I can seriously win a game against actual PC or Xbox players with... it truly does feel handicapped.

Did anyone else try it at PAX? what did you think?

That all sounds disappointing. I'm sure I'll still be getting it, but I knew controls would be tough. Hoping down the road Nintendo does some kind of Pro style grip for the Switch when it's in handheld mode.

Unicorn

man, in Gold 3 div3 and it has just become a game of whoever fucks up loses the game. So many 0-1 or 1-1 or 2-2 OT matches. Need a shower after an hour of play. Dunno what I'm going to do if/when I get to plat.

iosa

So I feel dumb but I just discovered that we can roll while in the air. Was it there when the game launched ? I can't remember it being in the initial tutorials and I never bothered checking it back.

I feel it's gonna be hard to integrate in my gameplay, but it might be what I'm missing to get out of plat3

So I feel dumb but I just discovered that we can roll while in the air. Was it there when the game launched ? I can't remember it being in the initial tutorials and I never bothered checking it back.

I feel it's gonna be hard to integrate in my gameplay, but it might be what I'm missing to get out of plat3

Yea... it's gonna help.

Pepiope

Fun part about the game. There will always be a new trick to learn. Air rolling is a little tricky at first but you'll get the hang of it.

I'm having such a hard time even having fun in the game anymore. I've ranked high platnium and I'm stuck playing unranked with bronze and silver because all my friends have moved on from the game. I uninstalled after losing 10 games in a row today.
ZTJYuBA.png

Don't feel bad, I played hundreds and hudreds of hours before I realized it was a thing. It'll feel weird at first but it's a total gamechanger. I'd suggest changing it and handbrake to L1 (LB) if you haven't already.

At first just focus on making smoother landings with air roll. The rest will come in time.

I'm having such a hard time even having fun in the game anymore. I've ranked high platnium and I'm stuck playing unranked with bronze and silver because all my friends have moved on from the game. I uninstalled after losing 10 games in a row today.
ZTJYuBA.png

I wish I didn't know about this site. Just checked my stats and I'm only in the top 16% in unranked where I play most of the time and even worse in ranked, yet my mvp's and goals count is in the top 0.5%...

Switched back to Dom. I think it's better than Octane, for me. Aerials are a lot easier (off wall).

I have a strange problem with both. Octane I can get a much better launch typically and good control to go straight for the goal with the follow up, but with the Dominus I'm better at getting that second touch to the backboard and the follow up. Can't seem to backboard with the Octane reliably at all.

Soulflarz

Banned
goals+such are actually awful stats and should never be checked

If you can't backboard reliably with octane, work on your reads. You're probably doing the batmobile backboard style, which is just "flail in the general direction+get a relatively weak touch to hit it in" because the hitbox is so long on the bat compared to octane.
Takes a lot of time but it's so satisfying to get good at :)

(then you get to a rank where backboard defense becomes decent and you just start booming the net instead rip)

goals+such are actually awful stats and should never be checked

If you can't backboard reliably with octane, work on your reads. You're probably doing the batmobile backboard style, which is just "flail in the general direction+get a relatively weak touch to hit it in" because the hitbox is so long on the bat compared to octane.
Takes a lot of time but it's so satisfying to get good at :)

(then you get to a rank where backboard defense becomes decent and you just start booming the net instead rip)

Oddly I lead with the nose but always get the finishing touch with the batmobile method, that's probably where I'm going wrong. Should probably try to just stay with using the nose. Though you're also right about reads. With an off the wall backboard I usually get the final touch with it being very close to the wall and post, so a dunk I guess. I'm pretty awful at reading the before a bounce.

To be honest if I could get that down I'd probably go up in ranks a lot, but as soon as there's a wall bounce involved my chances of getting it if I'm up before the bounce are probably less than half if it's going to pop pretty far back.

Soulflarz

Banned
re: backboards, a good thing to realize- it's hard af to save from in net
at higher ranks theres a guy trying to clear it before the bounce
at lower ranks they don't so anything will go in if it's decently placed

with all of this in mind, you can work on a few things
-dont go for a double touch if you can land and reshoot, as it's a waste of boost and way harder to read instead of simply rebound
-a good first touch is ESSENTIAL for understanding if a double touch or boomer on net is better- if the boomer is hard to save, the rebounds a free pickup anyways
-don't double touch at the speed of light. Look, we've all been there. We've all done the montage ones. But a well set up and hit one thats .3s slower after it came off the wall is better, because after all, it's going in anyways.

The logic there for the last one is either it got cleared before you got there or you got it anyways so who cares.
They're also free rank ups because pre gc it's very iffy if they'll cover a proper double touch anyways.

iosa

Don't feel bad, I played hundreds and hudreds of hours before I realized it was a thing. It'll feel weird at first but it's a total gamechanger. I'd suggest changing it and handbrake to L1 (LB) if you haven't already.

At first just focus on making smoother landings with air roll. The rest will come in time.

Thanks, that's what I'm trying to do for now, I lose control way to fast in the air.

On another subject, I scored this goal a couple of weeks ago, felt great.

88random

How do you play a game and not check controls before you start? I know air roll is not very usefull for absolute beginners, but still you got to know it's there and try to find out what is it's use.

Yea, I'm liking my switch back to Dominus a ton so far. I feel like I can speed up and slow down while turning much easier than with Octane (perhaps because of the way Dominus seems to turn on an axis while e-braking?). First touches on aerials feel a lot better, too.

How do you play a game and not check controls before you start? I know air roll is not very usefull for absolute beginners, but still you got to know it's there and try to find out what is it's use.
Rocket League was a totally different game when it launched. In the early days the groundreaking meta stuff was like... basic aerials. I wasn't really concerned about advanced controls at the time and somehow forgot/didn't notice air roll was even a thing until much later.

Not to say I didn't feel like an idiot when I found out, haha.

AlexIIDX

I commend anyone who can rank up solo. I swear to god every other game someone gives up in the first minute or are afk constantly. Quitting ranked till next season starts.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I'm so fucking sick of this cheap ass company and it's broken fucking servers hardly ever working.

Soulflarz

Banned
Did someone say being indecisive

*grabs pitchfork*

ily guys

shouldve challenged the second backup for a guaranteed dunk smh

Season Rewards

Alongside new features like Transparent Goalposts and the new Standard versions of Starbase ARC and Wasteland, our Autumn Update will also include the start of Rocket League’s SIXTH Competitive Season!

To kick off the new season, we are running a soft reset on all accounts that have previously placed in any Competitive Playlist. This means every player will need to complete a set of ten placement matches per Playlist, similar to when you play in a Competitive Playlist for the first time. This soft reset will help calibrate the entire player population for the new season, which will end in early 2018.

Season-5-Rewards-Image.jpg

SEASON 5 REWARDS
For those who placed in Competitive Playlists this season, we’re excited to announce that the Season 5 Rewards are a new player customization item we’re rolling out in the Autumn Update. Player Banners will be seen throughout Rocket League, including the main menu screen and during goal replays, and the Season 5 Rewards are unique Player Banners tied to each Competitive Tier.

The Reward Banners, seen above, will be handed out as follows:

Bronze I or higher – Season 5 Bronze Player Banner

Silver I or higher – Season 5 Silver Player Banner + lower Banners

Gold I or higher – Season 5 Gold Player Banner + lower Banners

Platinum I or higher – Season 5 Platinum Player Banner + lower Banners

Diamond I or higher – Season 5 Diamond Player Banner + lower Banners

Champion – Season 5 Champion Player Banner + lower Banners

Grand Champion – 'Season 5 Grand Champion' in-game Title + Champion Player Banner + lower Banners

Remember, in order to qualify for these Banners, you must earn the 12 wins for each Season Reward Level. Players who are in the Platinum Tier, for example, must earn Season Reward Level wins for Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum in order to receive all four Reward Banners.

We hope you enjoy the new Banner items, and we’ll have more to share closer to the Autumn Update’s release!

(NOTE: Parallel with our efforts at the end of Seasons 3 and 4, we will deny Season 5 Rewards to any account involved with matchmaking abuse or boosting services.)

I don't play Ranked very often, so can someone clarify for me: in order to get the platinum (or whatever) banner, do you have to:

A) Make it to Platinum rank

B) Make it to Platinum rank and stay Platinum by the time the season ends

C) Level up that other counter when it purely keeps track of your wins (I don't know what this thing is or does)

Thanks

Unicorn

I don't play Ranked very often, so can someone clarify for me: in order to get the platinum (or whatever) banner, do you have to:

A) Make it to Platinum rank

B) Make it to Platinum rank and stay Platinum by the time the season ends

C) Level up that other counter when it purely keeps track of your wins (I don't know what this thing is or does)

Thanks
A and C, but need B to get the wins within that level of rank.

Unicorn

Fuck this game. Closest I've come to uninstalling. Fuck there being days I can play and others where I may as well spend my time setting my hair on fire.

Pepiope

I got matched with the same tm the game after I played you and he voted to forfeit 1 second in, lol. Then after that I was just titled the rest of the night. All your fault, obviously. -_-

EDIT: S4 rank distribution data, finally: https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/6ywtve/its_finally_here_competitive_season_4_rank/

For 2s:

https://i.imgur.com/PCQoEeO.jpg[/mg][/QUOTE]
Feels good to be in top 1 percent.

Wait if you're diamond then you're top 1% in this game? That seems really low.

Bollocks

Playing again after a 2 month break. Why did I even stop playing? Oh yeah to clear my backlog.
Surprisingly only took 1 game to get back and compete.

Top Bottom