• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

GoaThief

Psyonix would get a lot of shit from the community if they locked a car with a new hit box within a crate.
Does the new car (Endo) have the same hitbox/turning radius as a current car? I don't think it has at the moment.

It was said the Twin Mill was the same as the Batmobile but that isn't the case either AFAIK.

Pepiope

Does the new car (Endo) have the same hitbox/turning radius as a current car? I don't think it has at the moment.

It was said the Twin Mill was the same as the Batmobile but that isn't the case either AFAIK.
It's supposed to be similar to Dom/X-Devil. We won't really know for sure until it releases.

When will Psyonix push for key-trading on Xbox One?
Will there ever be full-crossplay? Psyonix, the ones who tried to unite us, but failed at it.

They can't do what platform holders won't allow. I'm sure they pushed these things as much as they could. Hopefully they still try.

Soulflarz

Banned

Twin mill has the same hitbox as batmobile
it might be higher up off the ground due to wheels but the cars hitbox is the exact same iirc. Turning radius is slightly different.

Mountain out of a molehill.

Storm in a teacup.

etc.

Generally speaking I have no tolerance for pay to win games and shady DLC practices. Trying to put RL in that tier of game is just absurd. Maybe this is a good time to remind everyone that Octane exists? :p

Twin mill has the same hitbox as batmobile
it might be higher up off the ground due to wheels but the cars hitbox is the exact same iirc. Turning radius is slightly different.

Surely that's not possible? I know that was rumored to be the case before launch, but the Twinmill is only half as wide as the batmobile. If it were the same hitbox tons of corner hits would look like they never connect with the car.

Soulflarz

Banned
Surely that's not possible? I know that was rumored to be the case before launch, but the Twinmill is only half as wide as the batmobile. If it were the same hitbox tons of corner hits would look like they never connect with the car.

Psyonix has said it's the same hitbox lol.

The corners dont perfectly match what you see.

Psyonix has said it's the same hitbox lol.

The corners dont perfectly match what you see.

That's really weird. It's the only car I can think of that doesn't feel remotely like another with an identical hitbox to me. Like switching between it and the Batmobile is like going from Octane to Dominus for me. Just doesn't feel similar at all. I guess we're not gonna be getting another car like the Batmobile either :/

I was really hoping we'd get something that feels similar to me eventually.

Just been to RLE. This is a bit of PSA I guess but I'd be VERY wary of the trading scene right now. It would appear the mods have been covering up price manipulation, on more than a single occasion. There's two threads right at the top worth reading all the way through.

Holy crap. The RLE mods literally just deleted the posts outing them and created an echo chamber thread of apologists instead. So does anyone know any other good trading sites? Cause fuck that shit.

Edit: currently deleting all dissenting opinions now it seems. Accounts not posts.

Shantom

Holy crap. The RLE mods literally just deleted the posts outing them and created an echo chamber thread of apologists instead. So does anyone know any other good trading sites? Cause fuck that shit.

Edit: currently deleting all dissenting opinions now it seems. Accounts not posts.

Rocket League garage is the one I use. Lots of lowballers there but it's a big enough site that you can get stuff done fairly.

Rocket League garage is the one I use. Lots of lowballers there but it's a big enough site that you can get stuff done fairly.

Thanks, I'll give this one a shot. I did use Steam in the past but it seems kinda slow to move stuff on there these days, it's also the haven of all the scammers unfortunately. A few low ballers are fine compared to some of the other stuff I've ran into.

I purchased a steam controller last week but haven't set up my PC in a while. Can let you know as soon as I try (within next couple of days) if that helps?
That'd be awesome. I was going to impulse buy one today but held off because RL is my most played game and I wouldn't want to spend the cash if I'll mostly still be using an XB1 controller

Thanks for the recommendation for the other trading site! Things are moving hands much faster over here, and while you need to have your wits about you, as long you know your values pretty well it's not too much trouble to stay on the right end of the deal. There's more people trying the stunt of setting a deal and then trying to add stuff in while jacking the price, but as always it's easy to shut it down by backing out of the trade and letting them decide if the shenanigans are worth it. SO much easier to track down the items you're after though, so even weeding through the fools it still winds up being a much faster method.

Pricing in this market makes no sense though to me. Swapped Crim Loopers for Saffrom Voltaics back when loopers sucked, just sold the same Voltaics and bought FG and Crimson ARA-51, both of which complement Hexed best of all the wheels IMO, plus are two of the higher valued colors. Not complaining that I seem to be profiting consistently but you need some serious foresight to predict this stuff, like I could have made more holding the loopers but I'd have had to predict a patch to improve them. I'm so glad that finally one of my favorite wheel types is actually a cheap one or once though. Zomba's saved my wallet by having that unwelcome second color.

Get'sMad

In the last 2 weeks or so match making takes ages for me.....

I'm on PS4 and play mostly non competitive matches with cross play disabled....I'm not great or anything (I usually peak at challenger elite while playing competitive) but would still always get a match within 20-30 seconds tops until recently. I constantly get connected and immediately disconnected from servers in a way I never did before. It sucks.....

TheKeyPit

Banned
In the last 2 weeks or so match making takes ages for me.....

I'm on PS4 and play mostly non competitive matches with cross play disabled....I'm not great or anything (I usually peak at challenger elite while playing competitive) but would still always get a match within 20-30 seconds tops until recently. I constantly get connected and immediately disconnected from servers in a way I never did before. It sucks.....
I get the crossplay-not-permitted error at least once per matchmaking attempt. I have crossplay enabled.

ayy made front page of /r/rocketleague today :^)
Where is the link to it?

rafaelr

Changes coming with competitive Season 4

NEW SKILL TIERS
The most significant change for Competitive Season 4 of has to do with how we rank players. A big part of why we provide visual skill rankings like ”Challenger Elite" or ”Champion" is to give players visual feedback about the skill of their teammates and opponents.

However, as the overall skill of the community has grown, our current ranks are no longer sufficient. The skill gap between a ”Challenger I" and a ”Challenger Elite" is significant, but they both sport golden ”Challenger" icons that are only differentiated in subtle ways.

To better represent the evolving skill distribution of our players, and to better reward players who progress up the ladder, we will be introducing a new, wider set of skill tiers shown below.

Season_4_ranks.SJAoHX8ol.jpg

FEWER DIVISIONS
As part of this change, we will be reducing the number of divisions per skill tier from five to four. For example, the Gold I tier ranges from Gold I, Division I to Gold I, Division IV.

We felt this change was necessary to preserve a similar frequency of division updates from previous seasons. Five divisions per tier with our new, smaller skill tiers would create too much divisional churn for most players.

GRAND CHAMPION RANK
Based on the feedback we received regarding the Grand Champion rank during Season 3 recalibration, we have taken the following steps for Season 4:

Champion I, II, and III includes players of skill ranging from Champion to low-end Grand Champion from Season 3.
Grand Champion has been made more exclusive and given a distinct icon above the Champion ranks. It will not be quite as difficult to obtain as the original Season 3 version, but significantly more difficult than post-calibration Season 3.

SOFT SKILL RESET
Like previous seasons, Season 4 will ”reset" your skill tiers for each Competitive Playlist. However, we do not want to repeat the matchmaking frenzy of the first few weeks of Season 3 when we did a full skill wipe. Average match quality was poor as the entire playerbase churned through placement matches and climbed back to their relative skill rankings.

Instead, your placement matchmaking and eventual skill ranking will be informed by your previous season rankings. While we don't aim to place you at the exact same rank you left off, we do want a clear initial separation so that Grand Champions aren't wiping the floor with Bronze players during their climb.

For example, Season 3 Champions will likely place into the Platinum tiers, while All-Stars and Superstars from Season 3 will place into Gold initially.

SHORTER SEASONS
We have heard your feedback on season length and agree that Season 3 lasted too long. We think an optimal season length is roughly four months, but the ultimate end date may depend on what changes we feel are necessary before a new season can begin. For this reason, we don't want to promise an exact end date for Season 4 just yet, but we will be listening to your feedback on the topic carefully.

NEW MATCHMAKING RATING AND FUTURE CHANGES
We are hard at work on a variety of matchmaking improvements, but it's worth talking about a specific change in the context of Season 4 that will help improve overall match quality. With the new season, we are moving to a new model for how we rank and matchmake players by skill.

The most significant change is in how we are calculating your Matchmaking Rating (MMR). In previous seasons, MMR was a conservative estimate of your skill. A conservative MMR formula is common in modern skill systems and subtracts a few standard deviations of your ”uncertainty" (how confident the system is about you) from your ”skill" to generate a safe estimate of your potential.

This made for a smooth introduction to the game, but created inconsistency in matchmaking and ranking that we have now eliminated. Your MMR (and your Skill Tier) are now only based on your Skill value itself. This has a few direct benefits:

Good players with high uncertainty aren't under-ranked anymore, leading to fairer and more fun matches with more consistent skill gains and losses.
Players will more quickly reach their appropriate rank, which means less unbalanced games overall.
We are also testing a variety of other matchmaking enhancements. Some of these will come online with Season 4, and some will be rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. A few of the things we're looking into:

General speed and quality enhancements to allow for faster, more reliable matchmaking.
More intelligent matchmaking based on how populated your selected playlists and regions are.
For example, if you're in Gold II and there's a ton of Gold II players searching 'Doubles' in your region, we'll try to be more restrictive about the type of players we match you against.
Conversely, we'd like matchmaking to be a little faster and more flexible for off-peak hours when there are less players to match against and the wait times can get a bit long at higher levels.

NEO TOKYO AND ARENA PREFERENCE TWEAKS
The Neo Tokyo arena is being removed from our competitive and casual playlists. It will return to online play as a standard format arena in a future update.

We recognize that alternate format arenas are a controversial subject and did not make this decision lightly. The data we gathered since the Arena Preferences feature launched in December showed far less dislike for these arenas than one might expect from reading social media, but it did amplify our internal concerns about whether the Neo Tokyo arena design met our standards as a team for Rocket League.

We still feel that alternate arenas provide a valuable dose of variety to the online experience. However, the infrequent usage of these arenas in pro tournament play - an important part of the reason we introduced them in the first place - has us thinking deeply about their future. Going forward, we will continue to look at Arena Preferences data and community feedback on the topic.

Additionally, we are making a few changes to the Arena Preferences system to make it more consistent and understandable. An arena's odds are now modified by a simple percentage of the lobby that likes or dislikes it. For example:

• If half of the players in a server dislike a map, it will appear 50% less often.
  • If one player likes a map and another player dislikes it, it will appear as often as normal.
  • If all of the players in a server dislike it, it will now never appear.

sounds exciting!

I wish they'd kill Colosseum too. Not a fan of the altered maps too much anyway, but I've always hated that map and I don't think I've finished a match on it in player matches in ages. Usually quit the second that loads at this point. Tbh even if we could just double up on the thumbs down to never see it again I'd waste an extra thumb on it.

Kinda stuck on what to do now though. Buy the hexed I've been wanting or see what happens with the new crate. I'm guessing there's new BM's? Not mention I kinda want the car and furry paint.

AlexIIDX

Never minded Neo Tokyo, but a standard version would probably be my favorite map...anyway I'd much rather see starbase taken out of ranked.

Really excited for the new update and ranks. Despite topping out at Challenger Elite div 5 :'(

I'm also curious if there will be more season rewards now with there being more ranks.

Neo Tokyo is such a great map. What a shame.

Aesthetically, one of the best perhaps. Despite kinda liking NT I did find a bit of an oddity with those raised walls. At least by getting a standard version we'll still have that stunning outer design on a map people are happy to play more often.

Bit that interests me is the mention of these maps not being used in pro games. I'm kinda curious just how minute the differences would have to be from a standard map to get it accepted into RLCS.

Aesthetically, one of the best perhaps. Despite kinda liking NT I did find a bit of an oddity with those raised walls. At least by getting a standard version we'll still have that stunning outer design on a map people are happy to play more often.

Bit that interests me is the mention of these maps not being used in pro games. I'm kinda curious just how minute the differences would have to be from a standard map to get it accepted into RLCS.

Zero deviation mostly. Wasteland has a slope that makes the ball react differently, Starbase is just weird with it walls and corners. It makes things harder to read and pros don't like that cause it ads randomness. Sure they can practice more on those maps to learn them more but when they are never picked and 90% of the maps are standard most don't bother. I think it's pretty clear non standard maps have unanimously been rejected for competitive play.

It's more work but i think a cool solution would be to always release a standard version for competitive play.

More Aquadome changes:
-Simplified geo
-Heavily reduced the lighting makes everything less reflective
-Big optimization pass for lowend PCs
+more
-Desaturated the copper
-Swapped out the glass texture, you can actually see the glass now. (Also much less reflective)

Zero deviation mostly. Wasteland has a slope that makes the ball react differently, Starbase is just weird with it walls and corners. It makes things harder to read and pros don't like that cause it ads randomness. Sure they can practice more on those maps to learn them more but when they are never picked and 90% of the maps are standard most don't bother. I think it's pretty clear non standard maps have unanimously been rejected for competitive play.

It's more work but i think a cool solution would be to always release a standard version for competitive play.

That's kind of what I find strange about it to be honest. I'd already figured the pros just want standard maps personally, but it's surprising to see Psyonix still trying after all this time. I figured they'd just do this stuff for the rest of the player base but they still seem adamant about getting pros using them.

I do think your solution is the best route though. Tbh I'd rather they broke them off into rocket labs again or put them all in rumble.

I can imagine it's really frustrating for the devs wanting to switch it up but stuff often being shunned or becoming another snow day.

Soulflarz

Banned
The issue is moreso neo tokyo is sloped and alters the game in a way people don't like at higher level.

Wastelands curves can be learned, and starbases corners go exactly where you'd expect them to if you read where it hits, but neo tokyo has two major issues

The back wall is raised awkwardly with heavy curves on it so it's extremely inconsistent to slam it at the wall and try to move to where it'll go before it hits the wall.
The ramps are very hard to challenge from so you just sit in goal waiting to block a powershot- it's a lot less fun, if playable. This is why while people *can* deal with it, most usually hate neo way more than the other maps.

That's kind of what I find strange about it to be honest. I'd already figured the pros just want standard maps personally, but it's surprising to see Psyonix still trying after all this time. I figured they'd just do this stuff for the rest of the player base but they still seem adamant about getting pros using them.

I do think your solution is the best route though. Tbh I'd rather they broke them off into rocket labs again or put them all in rumble.

I can imagine it's really frustrating for the devs wanting to switch it up but stuff often being shunned or becoming another snow day.

Well the funny nothing is devs wanted standard maps for RL. Which is why all the first maps were standard. Then there was an outcry from the community and pros for non standard maps that lasted up until they actually came out lol.

The issue is moreso neo tokyo is sloped and alters the game in a way people don't like at higher level.

Wastelands curves can be learned, and starbases corners go exactly where you'd expect them to if you read where it hits, but neo tokyo has two major issues

The back wall is raised awkwardly with heavy curves on it so it's extremely inconsistent to slam it at the wall and try to move to where it'll go before it hits the wall.
The ramps are very hard to challenge from so you just sit in goal waiting to block a powershot- it's a lot less fun, if playable. This is why while people *can* deal with it, most usually hate neo way more than the other maps.

That's a really good point. I'd never really even thought about it before but I never use the back wall or corners on Neo Tokyo and always go for a drag instead or pop it straight out toward the goal. Probably why I struggle to set myself up on there a bit more than usual too.

Well the funny nothing is devs wanted standard maps for RL. Which is why all the first maps were standard. Then there was an outcry from the community and pros for non standard maps that lasted up until they actually came out lol.

Lol that sounds about right. I can see how it would have been more appealing as a distant dream rather than a reality though. I still even manage to set myself up for disappointment by being excited by new maps every now and then only to remember it's one I didn't like on rocket labs.

Kitbash

If anything, I wish they'd do another pass on Starbase's ground textures. It's such a cluttered mess that adds nothing to the theme.

Soulflarz

Banned
That's a really good point. I'd never really even thought about it before but I never use the back wall or corners on Neo Tokyo and always go for a drag instead or pop it straight out toward the goal. Probably why I struggle to set myself up on there a bit more than usual too.

Yeah it's diff at a level even higher than I play, because they have to make these decisions extremely fast so extra variables they see 1/20 games are awful.

^^^ glad to hear! I didn't mind octagon as I like larger playing surface and the walls were clearly defined making bounces more readable. Arc on the other hand everything (ball, players, field, walls) just blends together making it hard to see. And walls just blend together resulting in lots of unreadable bounces.

This is my issue. To me, learning to trap and dribble to sidewall to start a drag is a skill that gives you an advantage. Wall play outside of the the two back walls is almost completely taken out of the game. Now trade off was the high ceilings which encouraged more aerials / aerial passing BUT why even have the trade off. Word is a standard Neo Toyko is coming and that will be best of both worlds. You get something new, adding to gameplay (enhanced aerial play) without taking away / sacrificing the core element of wall play / side-to-side action.

I know it's a tricky balance but I am all for non-standard maps that ADD to the game without taking away core gameplay elements from standard maps.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Only the SARPBC folks wanted non-standard. Since Rocket League blew up over the year before they introduced them, the new fans/hardcores that never played SARPBC's think standard is the only way to play (and I'm with them).

Dust Bowl isn't bad as it's basically a pool with two goals at the ends. Same with Starbase and it's easy to read bounces.

NeoTokyo is just awful because the stupid ramps throw the entire game out of wack (cars flying going up the ramps, weird bounces).

Frankly, they need to let players be able to hard ban every map in the game besides one if that's what they want. Dust2 for Rocket League being... forgetting it's name Standard? Go for it.

Top Bottom