• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Soulflarz

Banned
:eek: thekeypit uploaded a replay? k, watched, uhmm, want me to do a generalized write up (I personally think these work better than individual situations being used beyond core concepts) or do you want a full breakdown

regardless hi message me here or somewhere XD
(or I'll just add you on steam ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

TheKeyPit

Banned
:eek: thekeypit uploaded a replay? k, watched, uhmm, want me to do a generalized write up (I personally think these work better than individual situations being used beyond core concepts) or do you want a full breakdown

regardless hi message me here or somewhere XD
(or I'll just add you on steam ¯_(ツ)_/¯)
Something "short" 😃

Soulflarz

Banned
Something "short" ��

Two easy ones to work on that are essential for higher level play- before you even focus on the other stuff that comes to mind, these are probably the biggest two. Going to state the concept, then show an example of it from your replay. In reality, they're part of the same core concept, but whatever :p

When you make decisions stick to them instantly. Check the ending where you get scored on. You see the ball start to roll to the corner and know you need to challenge, but you wait a good half second or so to get on it. The idea is, if you're challenging it to meet the ball directly, you want to stick to that decision instantly and challenge it. Don't hesitate. If you had gone on that ball right away, you'd have cleared it before the opponent could get to it again. Not hesitating on decisions you've made (unless the decision IS to hesitate, ie- faking a shot, but that's kinda different :p) is very important, as players who don't when you do will dunk you for it every time.

The other thing is just working on your understanding of where the ball is going to be so you can get to a hit earlier than you have been through better positioning. This is essential so you can combine it with not hesitating to perform your actions substantially faster.
An example of this is much harder to find that doesn't end up looking weird, so the concept will be with passing- if you know where the ball is going to roll, you can get to that pass faster and play off them instead of waiting for the pass to be underway before reacting to the ball.

TL;DR deciding to do your actions faster with accurate reads on where the ball is going will lead to positioning for situations better and much higher success, which is shown through your entire playstyle being 'faster' suddenly.

TheKeyPit

Banned
rocketleague2kist4.png

-----

Edit: We need full crossplay in April. Psyonix should just flip the switch and force it on us secretly behind our backs.

yeah. Got an eggplant up front

��Pepiope

Congrats to you and Laz and your team, Eggplant, for winning your pool/bracket and making it to the second week! Rooting for you to make it to the online finals and beyond.

My team (Knights of Cybertron) finally won a match/series in our third RLCS outing. We beat Floppy Waffles (who made it halfway through the losers bracket and happened to have a dope coordinated car design) in pool A14 but then ran out of gas. Looking forward to the next RLCS already!

Pepiope

Congrats to you and Laz and your team, Eggplant, for winning your pool/bracket and making it to the second week! Rooting for you to make it to the online finals and beyond.

My team (Knights of Cybertron) finally won a match/series in our third RLCS outing. We beat Floppy Waffles (who made it halfway through the losers bracket and happened to have a dope coordinated car design) in pool A14 but then ran out of gas. Looking forward to the next RLCS already!
Thanks :), lots of hard work left to do to get there, and congrats to you too for the series win! Do you usually play tournaments as a team? That will help you out so much for the next go round. Such a different atmosphere, and a really great learning experience.

Yeah, we've played all three RLCS seasons so far as the same team. ZeroSuitSheamus here on Gaf is on the team. We also tried an ORSA league last year, but got regularly smashed. We're much better now though.

It helps to play good teams to learn from them. I remember when my oldest son and I played Laz (and maybe you?) in the Gaf doubles tournament soon after the game came out. We got run over, but learned a lot. My son doesn't play as much as I do, but we're light years better now.

Soulflarz

Banned
Remember GAF tournaments
:^)

tbf community is dead enough at this point if we wanna do one we might as well grab a secondary group and just tag along for their doubles tournament or such

TheKeyPit

Banned
I get four wins with random teammates in Ranked Doubles and the next mate I got was a potato. He drove right next to me when I tried to pass from the left corner. Why? Why does this game keep torturing me? Did I do something wrong?

I get four wins with random teammates in Ranked Doubles and the next mate I got was a potato. He drove right next to me when I tried to pass from the left corner. Why? Why does this game keep torturing me? Did I do something wrong?
4-1 sounds great compared to a lot of my nights, lol.

Ballistik

4-1 sounds great compared to a lot of my nights, lol.

I had an extremely lucky night a few days ago, I'm normally rising star in most of the playlists but I had actually reached shooting star in standard. Well turns out that RL decided I should have a good night and be carried. I kept getting really good teammates to the point where I cruised all the way up to all star, (I was far from MVP in any of the matches) and now I'm scared to play in that playlist!

I tried playing just one game last night and wouldn't you know, matched up against 3 champions, so yeah... no. It was a massacre and my luck ran out.

Meanwhile I can't escape challenger elite in solo standard.

Had an amazing moment last weekend in the RLCS. Our team, Knights of Cybertron, finally got off the schneid and won a series. First season, I believe we lost a potential clincher in OT. Second season, we lost game 3 at the very end. This first series last weekend was so intense.

Game 1: Scoreless until about 15 seconds left when we scored the first goal. Got an insurance goal with a few seconds left.
Game 2: Went down two goals but tied it up. Lost in OT.
Game 3: Down one goal until about a minute and half left when we scored on a two on one breakaway. Took it to OT and this happened:

WildShabbyAfricangoldencat.gif

https://gfycat.com/WildShabbyAfricangoldencat

Completely exhilarating! Haven't been that excited and relieved over a video game in years.

Hats off to our opponents, the Floppy Waffles. We ran out of gas after the win, but they won several matches in the losers bracket afterwards. I talked to one of their guys, and they appear to be high challenger ranked like us. You can definitely make some hay the first weekend even as a challenger.

If you haven't tried tournaments--whether big ones like RLCS or leagues like ORSA--give it a go. You'll learn a lot, even when getting crushed. Maybe especially when getting crushed! A fellow gaffer, ZeroSuitSheamus, is on the team and can attest that we thought about not bothering with RLCS again, but I'm so glad we did.

Such a great experience and something I'll never forget.

Had an amazing moment last weekend in the RLCS. Our team, Knights of Cybertron, finally got off the schneid and won a series. First season, I believe we lost a potential clincher in OT. Second season, we lost game 3 at the very end. This first series last weekend was so intense.

Game 1: Scoreless until about 15 seconds left when we scored the first goal. Got an insurance goal with a few seconds left.
Game 2: Went down two goals but tied it up. Lost in OT.
Game 3: Down one goal until about a minute and half left when we scored on a two on one breakaway. Took it to OT and this happened:

https://giant.gfycat.com/WildShabbyAfricangoldencat.gif

https://gfycat.com/WildShabbyAfricangoldencat

Completely exhilarating! Haven't been that excited and relieved over a video game in years.

Hats off to our opponents, the Floppy Waffles. We ran out of gas after the win, but they won several matches in the losers bracket afterwards. I talked to one of their guys, and they appear to be high challenger ranked like us. You can definitely make some hay the first weekend even as a challenger.

If you haven't tried tournaments--whether big ones like RLCS or leagues like ORSA--give it a go. You'll learn a lot, even when getting crushed. Maybe especially when getting crushed! A fellow gaffer, ZeroSuitSheamus, is on the team and can attest that we thought about not bothering with RLCS again, but I'm so glad we did.

Such a great experience and something I'll never forget.
Awesome story man, thanks for sharing. That was a beautiful goal. :)

I'd love to do a GAF tourney sometime.

Is there any way we could get an idea of the kind of numbers we could get for a GAF tourney. I guess it would have to be a 1v1 or if 2v2 then your team mate is allowed to be a non gaf member, otherwise we just wouldn't get the numbers.

Soulflarz

Banned
Is there any way we could get an idea of the kind of numbers we could get for a GAF tourney. I guess it would have to be a 1v1 or if 2v2 then your team mate is allowed to be a non gaf member, otherwise we just wouldn't get the numbers.

uhmm

myself
laz
pep
you
bravo
flunkie would return
I could force coolcole to return (lmao)
thekeypit
force prime/count/etc to play

You'd either have to round robin it or you'd have to allow randoms as your #2, yeah

uhmm

myself
laz
pep
you
bravo
flunkie would return
I could force coolcole to return (lmao)
thekeypit
force prime/count/etc to play

You'd either have to round robin it or you'd have to allow randoms as your #2, yeah
I'd be up for it along with fellow gaffer Greg who plays 2s with me regularly.

I would definitely play. I'm terrible at 1s, but I'm forcing myself to play it now instead of solo standard. One torture for another.

If we do doubles, I could see about getting ZeroSuitSheamus. He plays on our 3s team. If not, my oldest son might be up for it. He's super busy and not on Gaf, but it would be a good learning experience for him--just like the last tourney so many moons ago!

moop1167

If anyone wants to play on Steam let me know. ID is moop. Feel like I've hit a wall (mostly play 2s) since I only play with randoms.

Unicorn

game is hot trash. try to get a couple games in before bed and both games - full match start. party enemy team. fucking just me and bots.

fuck this doubles.

same shit. new game, doubles butt buddies. me and a self-scoring, full-boost stealing bot.

i want my money back.

Hasney

game is hot trash. try to get a couple games in before bed and both games - full match start. party enemy team. fucking just me and bots.

fuck this doubles.

same shit. new game, doubles butt buddies. me and a self-scoring, full-boost stealing bot.

i want my money back.

Play ranked, no bots.

Sorry for you bad luck, but "hot trash" for the best multiplayer game released this generation so far is hilarious.

Soulflarz

Banned

fuck this doubles.

i want my money back.

Legit only play ranked. Until you hit a certain point where you're trying stuff regardless of bot or player.

So who's gonna organize this tourney. :p

I would even be up for like a 2v2 season style deal where we play each team twice and then a certain number go on to a double elimination playoff. Sort of like the "single player" stuff is structured.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'll do it rip
Tomorrow

So who's gonna organize this tourney. :p

I would even be up for like a 2v2 season style deal where we play each team twice and then a certain number go on to a double elimination playoff. Sort of like the "single player" stuff is structured.

Round robin pools->proper tourney

if people want

otherwise just a DE bracket so it doesnt take hours :p

TheKeyPit

Banned
Random team didn't work out; both left the game and I became a scumbag with 3 minutes left on the clock: I did not leave the game; I wanted that match to last as long as possible(not skipping replays, scoring goals).

I'm not sorry @opposing-team

Edit: I've dropped to Shooting Star before that match. That could explain my behavior.

I gotta live with the fact that I'm just unlucky. I can improve; I already did over the last three months, but where did it get me? To All-Star, down to Shooting Star, back to All-Star, then Superstar, nearly Champion, down to All-Star, back to Superstar, nearly Champion and slowly down to Shooting Star.
wp_ss_20170311_00011nu9w.png

Soulflarz

Banned
Random team didn't work out; both left the game and I became a scumbag with 3 minutes left on the clock: I did not leave the game; I wanted that match to last as long as possible(not skipping replays, scoring goals).

I'm not sorry @opposing-team

Edit: I've dropped to Shooting Star before that match. That could explain my behavior.

I gotta live with the fact that I'm just unlucky. I can improve; I already did over the last three months, but where did it get me? To All-Star, down to Shooting Star, back to All-Star, then Superstar, nearly Champion, down to All-Star, back to Superstar, nearly Champion and slowly down to Shooting Star.
wp_ss_20170311_00011nu9w.png

This is moreso just good commentary that the improvements between the various blues-super champ is largely mechanical skill and not fundamentals, which is why some improve at a crazy pace but others don't.

Soulflarz

Banned
Eu pros kept me up and
jfc
that was something I've never seen before, it's like 'oh I'm gonna go up for thi-- oh he rehit it thats awful though it doesn't do anyth- oh ITS IN WHAT THE HELL?"

Didn't get there this time. Rip.

Man, so close! Lost to a very good Denial team, and then two match wins away from league play before the tough loss in the lower bracket. Congrats on a great run and hope to see you all continue together in the next season. Definitely have established yourselves as a team knocking on the door of the NA top ten. That's incredibly impressive.

You should post here when you do other tournaments as well. Would get people interested in what's out there.

Edit: Just saw that Iris got knocked out in the same round as you guys. Wow!

Top Bottom