• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League suddenly has the most toxic community i've seen. and its a shame.

One of the reasons I've only played casually. Slightly less toxic, and when cool stuff happens everyone still loses their shit. I know that isn't a solution, but I'm just surprised at how long even casual has stayed as friendly as it is.

Nothing like watching a dude that said "ez" after their first goal go silent when your team slowly turns the tides of the match for a late or OT win.

Saying ez yourself in the post match lobby is just the cherry on the top.

I have been playing every day since the game was released on Xbox and I haven't really dealt with anyone who is being a jerk, for the most part. If anyone wants a friendly teammate you can play with me :).

shmoglish

how's this scenario fine:

dude plays like shit. misses balls. I say nothing. if anything "close one!"

I miss once

he goes

WOW
WOW
WOW
WHAT A SAVE
WHAT A SAVE

dude mistakenly passes it to them. they score and win.

game ends

I get demoted a rank.

"learn to play faggot lololol kkkk"
"wow you're shit"
similar derivative

yeah super cool and playful

Haha, yeah. You can be the best Player in the world sometimes while your mate is shit, make one mistake and the spamming Begins. Love it (I dont love it)

"Toxic"

But seriously if this makes you blood boiling angry then you need some help man, like what the shit? People are going to act inmature behind a computer/username, not saying it's right but it's going to happen. If someone saying "git gud ___" is getting on your nerves then go to another server or game session.

Hmm, I always thought it was one of the tamer communities, at least on PS4. Probably because it takes much longer to type out a message on PS4 (unless you have a keyboard or chatpad of couse) and PC users can't send typed messages to PS4 players and vice-versa.

IISANDERII

Ever since I turned off text chat (quick chat is still on), it's been a much better experience for me. I feel less pressure when I miss or fail accidentally.
I turned it off ages ago and have never had issues almost. Might help that I play in the lower leagues😊

drotahorror

Competitive games where you can chat/do commands with your teammates/opposition bring out the worst in people. I would know as I've been on both ends of the spectrum.

I'd rather someone speak up and say something than be silent the whole game.

I'm surprised that spamming emotes is considered toxic.

It's pretty common in SMITE whenever someone screws up you throw out a "You Rock" voice command followed by a "Cancel that". And spamming commands all game is actually annoying and distracting sometimes. I don't typically voice command spam (VGS) unless someone annoys me in the first place though.

JBwB

Don't play ranked matches... Simple...

It shouldn't be surprising that there are people that act like that in RL... Even more so if you play ranked / competitive.

Ranked / competitive modes in ANY multiplayer game are bound to have people like this.

Terrell

Go to options and disable all text and voice chat --> problem solved Pretend the problem doesn't exist

FTFY

I'm partly of the opinion that if gamers spent as much time dealing with these problems as they do avoiding or intentionally ignoring them, we wouldn't have these problems in the first place.

So should I buy PC or Ps4 version?

PC has better performance and is crossplay with PS4. Only reason to choose PS4 is if you have more friends on PSN that you want to play with. Though you can play against and be randomly paired with people crossplatform you can only communicate(outside of quick chat) and party up with people from your own platform.

I've played years on xbox live and other PC games and never experienced any racial stuff towards myself, until I played rocket league.

I've probably gotten something relating to the fact I'm indian more than 5 times over the last week.

Some not so serious, some is just baaad.

But I still can't stop playing lol

NeonBlack

Never play League of Legends, man. If you're surprise about the toxic players in a 5 min match, imagine if it was an 40mins to an hour.

Salsa

just played a guy who started going "Okay" and "Wow" since starting the game on every shot I made that apparently wasnt an insta-goal

wrote "dude can you please not be this guy, it's a minute into the game, give me a chance before just assuming idk what im doing since second 1"

dude started laughing at me yadda yadda, and here's the kicker: the other team jumped on it when he told through all chat

basically spent the rest of the game with all 3 of them (was 2v2) bullying ass and calling me fag and shit and how I sucked and there's no way I was Alpha (got the hat from playing alpha) and I was a bitch ass little nigger or whatever the fuck

I only kept talking to say that I was complaining about the community in general, and sorry for just wanting to have fun without being a dick online

Hd7Yuki.png

just the latest in a string of this happening every single day

TL;DR: The reporting system still does nothing. Do something Psyonix

Salsa

Why are you engaging with random people in a game?
There is a reason you can turn text chat off :D

not like this hasnt been discussed in all the previous pages (thread is old)

but the text chat is reliable for the (little) teamwork you can do with randoms, not to mention really this stuff starts with quickchat even (tho clearly not to this degree and that wouldnt be much of an issue)

I know the game has an insane player base and it must be hard

but they havent adressed this at all afaik, and everyone's asking for improvement in the area

games have report systems, it's a common thing, you'd want your community to be a healthy yet competitive place

but the one in Rocket League is absolutely just placebo as far as I know. I'd even like to know if it does anything

Klyka

Banned
not like this hasnt been discussed in all the previous pages (thread is old)

but the text chat is reliable for the (little) teamwork you can do with randoms, not to mention really this stuff starts with quickchat even

I know the game has an insane player base and it must be hard

but they havent adressed this at all afaik, and everyone's asking for improvement in the area

games have report systems, it's a common thing, you'd want your community to be a healthy yet competitive place

but the one in Rocket League is absolutely just placebo as far as I know. I'd even like to know if it does anything

if you turn the textchat off, it literally turns the chat off, not the quickchat like "nice shot!" and stuff.
I never had the textchat enabled ever

Salsa

if you turn the textchat off, it literally turns the chat off, not the quickchat like "nice shot!" and stuff.
I never had the textchat enabled ever

yeah I edited. It's barely a workaround I guess, not a solution to the report stuff being useless

i'd still like to "meet" people to play. What I do in the game to avoid these shitty assholes is that each time I play with someone who's cool I just add them

jdstorm

Banned
I don't mind the occasional quick chat spamming joke. That's whatever to me. But personal insults are too much.

Once it got so bad I started deliberately playing for the other team. Dude eventually rage quit. I'm not proud of my actions. But they deserved it.

Teach them a lesson. Threaten them that you'll join the enemy team unless they shut up.
If they persist, don't forfeit and make them take a 15 minute ban. Its worked well for me when I run into assholes.

Cess007

Oh i remember this thread.

the other day we got into a lot of trash-talking my mates and I, but i never has found nothing of this too much. I mean, i even laugh at some of the stuff they post in the chat.

Then again, this is I play always with my team; when i play alone i barely use the chat, and when i do is mostly to indicate i'm staying as a goalkeeper, or to tell someone to go for the ball after a goal.

Consumer

Thank god I stopped playing that trash a few months ago. That game was not healthy for my well-being. So in retrospect it's kind of a good thing that Psyonix ruined RL.

v1lla21

Yeah, can't go a day without being called a derogatory word. I tend to ignore them nowadays. I used to like getting them mad.

Atomski

Any game that gets popular is going to attract a bunch of dicks. Those people tend to be the more verbal wanting your attention to so they make the rest of the community look bad.

Just ignore them.. they are just trolls.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If they persist, don't forfeit and make them take a 15 minute ban. Its worked well for me when I run into assholes.

And lose rank?

If anything, Rocket League should take that "don't play with this player ever again" option Overwatch had and implement that. Assholes want to be assholes? Enjoy a 5-10 min matchmaking wait because nobody wants to play with you.

Overwatch dropped it because players were abusing it against better players than them. But you know what? That's somewhat solvable

nightside

Just keep reporting them. Psyonix hopefully has some intern whose job it is to ban these guys lo

Doesn't seem so, the official subreddit has lots of thread about this issue. I consider myself lucky since I found few assholes in game and no one that harsh to be honest, just some dudes who started writing in an unknown language (to me) or the usual "my team noobs" with the usual response "sorry kronovi" or "you're not ibp either". But I'm the kind of player that when someone from the other team scores in his own goal types "shit happens don't worry".
Manners matter.

Edit: but I'm still prospect in everything, maybe the day I end up in challenger I'll found lots of terrible people. We'll see.

vgamer1

Yeah, I loaded the game up for the first time in a while, hopped into a ranked 2v2, and it was on neotokyo?

What the hell?

Worst map by far, and I got it 3 games in a row.

Yep, never want to play ranked again.

-Ryn

Banned
That guy is a dick but ya gotta get over it dude.

You're going to come across all kinds of jerks online and when you let them get to you, they win.

It's a bummer that's been consistently happening to ya.

Half the fun in rocket league is shit talking

Lately after every goal I make I breathe heavily into the mic

In one game me and 2 other people on the other team straight made stupid noises over the mic to each other like we were drugged cavemen or something.. but man was it a good game

You gotta have fun with it

Top Bottom