• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League suddenly has the most toxic community i've seen. and its a shame.

Nozem

I play on PS4 and almost everybody is very friendly.

If someone spams 'what a save!' when you miss then just spam 'thanks!'.

Cohsae

Playing on Oceania servers for 20 or so hours and I've had very few bad experiences. If an opponent scores I throw out a nice goal and most people say thanks and reciprocate.
It's nothing compared to a game like dota or counterstrike.

ps3ud0

Other than quick chat spam Ive very rarely seen any abuse thats worth mentioning, but then I only play unranked and leave ranked alone as I know what happens when you play with randoms when theres something on stake. Think Ive only got annoyed once when a team mate who was doing worse than me was having a go at me - completely bizarre.

Rather have fun - perhaps the OP should just do the same too...

ps3ud0 8)

angelic

Banned
1v1 is much more fun with chat off. In my head its a titanic tussle between 2 rivals, in reality if I turn it back on its just

@!">?*
@!">?*
OMG
OMG
OMG

and people who will sit through a replay of every single goal. 1v1 is a sewer.

I kind of like the drama...Sometimes I'm clearly the "best" player and one of the others blames his problems on me. Oh well! Teamwork isn't possible with everyone, sometimes it just doesn't click.

Mostly it's "WTF *insert-my-username*" or "Noob team".

If anybody does that I subtly troll them with digipad commands for the rest of the game.

Don't play ranked?

Always complement people for good things.

I mean someone being obviously abusive is one thing but i actually enjoy the sarcastic "what a save" when someone has messed it up. It's part of the banter amd not to be taken seriously. If i do it it's generally with a smile on my face not meant in an angry way.

bjaelke

I find that it has gotten a lot better. This is from around launch:

owdhLx0.png

Suddenly? It's been that way nearly since I got the game on PS+ over the summer.

I was starting to lose my cool but then disabled all the chat after a month or two, otherwise I wouldn't be playing anymore. I only really play with my friends anyway so the chat doesn't really make a difference to me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Don't play ranked?

Not just ranked. Trolls and other abusers are in unranked, but you can generally leave.
Only to be put back into that match two minutes later. Thank you so much, Psyonix

tioslash

I agree. I know there are a lot of good and respectable players in Brazil but, seriously, the amount of trolls and online idiots I've encountered online is incredible.

Sadly, my experience in a lot of different online games is the same. Being a brazilian myself I feel embarassed about the behavior of some players from here.

Most recently was in The Division beta. Guys didn´t even know how to speak Portuguese properly, let alone English, and were throwing insults left and right at anyone they saw.

Mr_Moogle

I play on Oceania. I haven't had too many problems of PS4 or PC. There's the occasional spike of ass-holes when school holidays are on but other than that it's been okay.

Any of my Oceanic brothers want to PM me to add to friends? ;)

DryvBy

Competitive behavior brings this out. I'm never bothered by insults. I've been dealing with meaningless insults and trash talking since I've been gaming.

JP_

Banned
It's not a pre-requisite, it's par for the course. Complaining about trash talk in competitive multiplayer games is like complaining about getting sand in your shoe at the beach.
I'd say 'not minding sand in your shoe' is a pre-requisite to going to the beach...

The point is there's no reason gaming has to be such a pathetic shitshow.

Natural has nothing to do with it. If a man walks into hostile territory, he should not be surprised by hostile response. Now, If he were forced into that territory, there would be an argument to be had. But if the option to omit yourself from the scenario exists and you still choose to partake, you forfeit any right to complain.

That's just me though.

See, you're simply accepting gaming as an awful place to be.

Your solution? Tell people not to play. As a dev, it's totally acceptable for me to think some people won't play my games because the mechanics are too hard or just not to their taste or whatever -- to think people won't play my games because the other people playing the games are acting like stupid little shits? Not okay.

Interfectum

I haven't played RL for months but I noticed 3-4 weeks after it came out the community was getting more and more aggressive. I'm not surprised that has continued to escalate.

ViolentP

I'd say 'not minding sand in your shoe' is a pre-requisite to going to the beach...

The point is there's no reason gaming has to be such a pathetic shitshow.

See, you're simply accepting gaming as an awful place to be.

Your solution? Tell people not to play. As a dev, it's totally acceptable for me to think some people won't play my games because the mechanics are too hard or just not to their taste or whatever -- to think people won't play my games because the other people playing the games are acting like stupid little shits? Not okay.

Incorrect. What I am saying is that it is pointless to complain about it. Either play and accept, or act to change it. But to play and complain is the most unproductive outcome in this scenario.

I agree that it shouldn't be this way. But it is and it doesn't bother me enough to campaign for change.

Whenever someone goes on a rant (teammate or opponent) I tend to just brush it off and reply with 'k' to everything they say. Quite a lot of the time, this just makes them rage even more and hilarity ensues. No skin off my nose, but some of the stuff I've seen thrown around is pretty bad, and it could definitely put a lot of people off which is a shame.

Everyone makes mistakes, and the ragers seem to go mysteriously quiet when they screw up after berating you for something. Except the ones who think that their mess-up is your fault too, because you weren't there to save them, obviously. I'm well aware when I've played a bad game, and I'll hold my hand up and apologise for screw-ups.

On the other hand, the "1 goal down with 4 minutes to go" quitters on my team in competitive 2v2 are irritating as hell. Sets me up for a good way to challenge myself, anyway - it's normally a loss, but it helps me try things out!
This is actually a good idea. People hate k

PtM

Banned
I love doing that and I crack up when others troll me too. One of the (many) things I actually enjoy about RL. Shit talk (when not crossing the line) is fun.
So how do you manage to see the line online, that must be quite the terrific skill you're sporting?
Had one guy do this the other day, told him to relax, he sent me a party chat to talk more shit, I refused, so he sent me a phone number lol.
Did you hook up his number for telemarketing?

One of the most famous quotations by Benjamin Franklin is: “Nothing is certain except death and taxes.”

I would like to amend that. “Nothing is certain except death, taxes, and toxic gaming communities.” by Benjamin Franklin and Jabberwocker

spyder_ur

I have noticed it.

I pretty much always laugh it off. I'm generally in a happy, laid-back mood when playing RL. It's just so weird to have such idiots and truly mean stuff said in a such an awesome game where you are freaking playing soccer with rocket powered battle cars.

I do enjoy the self-deprecating folks who give themselves compliments when they totally mess up.

Edit: I never actually play with voice chat or even the volume on so I don't know how often people actually talk. Just talking about the text chat.

It's still not as bad as 90% of competitive online games out there, but yeah, it's getting worse. I just ignore the chat and always have the volume turned off with my own music pumping.

I remember one kid typing to me and my gf "You guys are hackers", "I'm reporting you", "You are cheaters" and so forth on and on and all I could do was take it as an enormous compliment. Just replied with "thanks", and that's about it.

JP_

Banned
Incorrect. What I am saying is that it is pointless to complain about it. Either play and accept, or act to change it. But to play and complain is the most unproductive outcome in this scenario.

I agree that it shouldn't be this way. But it is and it doesn't bother me enough to campaign for change.

Complaining is certainly more productive than following your suggestion of simply not playing -- the developers will only know it's a problem if people complain. Devs have no way of telling if the reason someone quit is specifically because the community was garbage.

edit: and no, it's not necessarily a requirement to send them a message directly -- it's not uncommon for devs to keep tabs on the larger community (gaf, reddit, etc).

I dont seem to have that problem, but i get annoyed with all the passive aggressive comments. You know the ones that says things like "What a save" if your goalie misses the block. And its kind of just like well why didnt you go be goalie if youre going to attack him/her? Could you have done better? Maybe if he/she had more help they wouldnt have even got a shot off. You win as a team, you lose as a team.

And you know the thing about it is, blaming your team mates doesn't help, and in reality if you get your team to rally behind you they will play better than if they feel divided.

A couple days ago I was playing Rainbow Six Siege as an example. Lucky or unlucky for me depending how you view it my whole team had microphones. Usually that is a good thing, but they were the most obnoxious group I've ever seen constantly blaming each other for their own stupidity. Very first round my team mate dies in a hall after blasting a door open only to blame everybody else for not being with him. Of course he doesnt take responsibility for his own actions on why he loudly blasted the door open while being by himself. Thanks to him and another guy acting like this one of our team mates left because they were blaming him acting like an ass, so i finally said something about it telling them to stop acting like an ass and people wont leave. To take a little responsibility instead of blaming everybody else. You know what happened? They then decided to blame me every round even though i was the MVP at this point. So the final round I killed them all costing them the game in ranked. I got banned from ranked for the rest of the day and it was completely worth it. I never do those kind of things, but that is the exact reason you dont act like an ass towards your team mates. Thats not what a leader is, and in reality it only costs your team.

As my friend says "The first rule of online is, its never my fault."

Reading this thread makes me think splatoon may have been in the right.

There is a lot of good. Its not just bad. Communication is essential in games that requires teamwork. Even if you dont want to talk with randoms, at least having the option to talk with friends.

Nintendo is just afraid with the stipulations from parents and their kids, because these type of things do happen.

I don't know how the light ribbing (e.g., "Great shot!" when you get an own goal) is possibly "the most toxic community." I've never seen anyone type out a message longer than a single letter or "READY!"

It's so easy to ignore too

*edit*

PC is probably worse because someone has ready access to a keyboard to chirp out whatever comments they want. But on consoles, all I see is the quick chat options... "What a save!" "Great pass!" "I got it!" and I see as many sarcastic ones as good-sport ones from my teammates.

Carlisle

I've been experiencing something similar in my recent matches. There was always the occasional douchenozzle spamming "WHAT A SAVE!" after every goal, but in my last few matches they seemed to be more the norm than the exception. Playing 3-3 with all randoms, even the two other players on my team were being obnoxious as fuck towards the other team.

On another match, the opposing team started sending personalized taunts after scoring just one goal. That one really got my blood boiling and I was shaking with determination to win and shut their faces up. Ended up losing 3-2, and I was livid at first and then I realized I was taking this shit too hard and just shut the game off. Haven't played in a couple days now and I'm not really itching to get back in if that's what I gotta put up with. Might stick to playing with my friends going forward.

It's really a shame cause the game is so damn good and the social aspect was one of the best things about it. But I've never gotten much out of being able to communicate with randoms online. I usually leave my mic off unless I'm playing with people I know, so maybe this is par for the course and we just had a few months of atypical cordiality.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
To echo the statements of others in this thread I love games with a bunch of shit talking rando's. Totally adds to the fun and competitive nature of the game. It's still completely reasonable for you to be turned off by that aspect but games like this will always exist because it's really just mirroring the real world. You don't get the option to mute people when you're playing pick up basketball.

One player told me he hoped my mother was dead. People do that in the real world, over some sports/play? Glad I don't know any people like that.

Yeah it's pretty toxic. I played with some antagonistic people and it got to be a little much.

I didn't know you could turn off chat, at least that is a start.

Ralemont

not me
I think the shit-talking is great. The more exaggerated the more fun it is, too, considering the context. There's just something absolutely hilarious about a game with rocket cars hitting beach balls causing the most heinous shit-talk ever.

I basically start every game hoping the other team will "What a Save" one of their goals so I know it's on.

I pretty much only ever use the emotes in a sarcastic way, usually the other people do the same. Unless there is some sort of amazing play that actually deserves a "well played".

Never typed anything out though.

Yep. Agree 100% op. The people that play this game are (largely(seemingly) complete human garbage.

Playing with randoms, on kickoff, I and the other guy were in the corners, I said "defending" "take the shot" so he'd know I wasn't going for it. He said nothing. Countdown hits zero and he backs up to grab the 100 boost. I tried to reach the ball but got beat. They scored off kickoff. I said "??? I told you I wasn't going for it?" He responds "looool I don't give a Fuck!" Then shit talks me the rest of the game for not being able to carry us. He scored 80 points and called me garbage.

Then there's the teammates that think you suck because you had a bad game. Or hell, one minute of a bad game, when they don't know you at all. I can't tell you how many times I've started bad and had a teammate shit talk me then we win and I outscore him 800-200.

And I see this all the time on the opposing team as well. Some jerkoff sucks, scores no points and at the end of the game blames his team.

The community is toxic AF.

Meier

I'm always kind of blown away by the level of toxicity in WoW. People get so angry and are vocal about it too. If a tank or healer isn't doing a great job they get absolutely eviscerated.

MGHA

I was playing last night and my team was down 0 - 4 with 2 minutes left and I jokingly said. "THIS GAME IS PISSING ME OFF!" then an opposing team member said "don't suck faggot" We then started scoring and beat them 6 - 4. I then said thanks for the advice and went to bed.

Cess007

My friends and I tend to trash talk each other just for fun when someone makes a mistake or something like that. But when i play alone, i rarely found people that trash talk their own teammates, most of the time, people is pretty cool and supportive when you wail.

Jito

Banned
it's the same thing

you'd play with a guy and he'll go "Wow!" "What a Save!" when you miss and then when he fucks up either keep silent or ragequit

I don't get antagonizing team mates. Who does that help?

I love doing this, it's part of the fun of the game to rip your team or the other team a bit.

Don't take it so seriously, it's just a fucking game.

NotSelf

I remember playing rocket league for the first time and how much fun I had but as weeks went on it started getting uglier. I've learned no matter how cute you make a competitive game look things always get ugly.

I'm always kind of blown away by the level of toxicity in WoW. People get so angry and are vocal about it too. If a tank or healer isn't doing a great job they get absolutely eviscerated.

It always made me laugh in WoW. The idea of some dude sat swearing at me and cursing my noob-ness always amuses me. I remember once when I was very new to raiding 'incorrectly' using a time warp, with catastrophic results. The messages I got were some of the most hilarious and creative swears I've ever seen.

I haven't had any notably bad experiences in Rocket League that make it any worse than something like FIFA, but I do see what OP is saying. I kind of accept that a degree of shit-talking is inevitable in this kind of competitive online game, which is a bit sad really.

Top Bottom