• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League suddenly has the most toxic community i've seen. and its a shame.

Limality

Banned
Me and a M8 were playing doubles a couple of weeks ago and had a 10 win streak going, which was brought to a halt by a pair of Russian players: We lost 1-6...

One of them had a ping of 300 and made 4 goals by whatever dumb luck he had. Thing is they proceeded to trash talk us and asking us to forfeit and not waste their damn time, calling us names and whatnot.

Clearly disheartened but not broken, we start a new search...you can guess which duo fate has given us...the very same guys who trashed us just a mere seconds ago.

They then commence to talk crap all over again.

But we got into a rythm first and were leading 4-0 and boooooy did we enjoy hurling back their previous quips (we enjoyed telling them not to waste our time and to forfeit....several times), it was a slice of heaven but the best thing was when the 300 ping guy suddenly complains about lag and tells us to shut up...we beat them 6-1...

But yeah, playing RL with randoms who think they're all that is tiring...especially because 95% are just blind ball chasers who suddenly pop up behind you when you clearly state that you're centering >_>

Moobabe

Completely agree. RL went from having a helpful community of talkative, friendly people to a toxic and insulting one over the past few months.

Trace

Banned
Completely agree. RL went from having a helpful community of talkative, friendly people to a toxic and insulting one over the past few months.

The more competitive a game gets, the saltier people get. If you have nothing to lose, you don't get mad. When you expect to win, you become less tolerant of mistakes.

atr0cious

Just laugh at them OP. Make them realize that just because this is the only time they may get social interaction with some one not related to them, thatitss just a game, and that their cries for help have been duly noted and be sure to post a crisis hotline number.

The key is to realize that everyone is projecting who they wish they could be, even you and me, so the sooner you stop giving a shit what a bunch of lying losers think, the longer you'll last on the internet.

Peru

I usually don't play competitive online games so I'm probably more sensitive than most but yeah, after having tons of fun for a few weeks I met too many people like this and stopped playing it online. Just don't feel like exposing myself to stuff like that.

I love doing that and I crack up when others troll me too. One of the (many) things I actually enjoy about RL. Shit talk (when not crossing the line) is fun.

I haven't played online yet (no PS+ and trying to get good at it), but me and my friend whenever we play local multiply of any game talk like this to each other.

I don't see the problem with it, its a fun game and rather I have someone shout "Looooooool great Save" rather than the Xbox of old which was racist, offensive and just terrible like "hahaha you fag" etc

Ashhong

Damn, you wouldn't survive a single day in League of Legends

That being said, I've been meaning to buy Rocket League. Is it better on PC or PS4?

Iced Arcade

Welcome to the world of online multi-player of a popular game that has next to no age restrictions.

I normally play online mid day when it seems to be more mature players (kiddies are in school)

rafaelr

i would completely disable chat, but as op and others said, you lose all communication with your team then.
i´ve disabled the enemy team chat, but when your own teammates pile on you, you mostly get distracted/frustrated and probably won´t play better.
i think there should be another setting for the chat, with the play-specific things ("centering", "i got it" etc) only.

Backlogger

So far season 2 seems way less toxic but I'm still working my way up so maybe I'm playing with different people. Since s2 started I've only had one crybaby teammate

Yeah the Rocket League community is absolute garbage.

I'm fine with the sarcastic quick chats, but seeing shitty players blame their teammates when they lose is just upsetting. Or when some clown says "quit, bitch" when they're only winning by 2 goals with lots of time left. I try to imagine who could be on the other end and I figure it must be 12 or 13 year old kids. Anyone else should be embarassed to act like that.

I'm all for competitive trash talking but this stuff is unoriginal, immature and really fucking annoying.

Limality

Banned
I told one unfriendly 'What a save!' teammate to stop being such an a$$ just because he can't see the other person on the other side of the internet. He then stopped and I got my flow going and we won that game.

I play on PC,PS4 and Xbox One. All communities are bad in my experience. It's almost as if all the toxic COD players switched to Rocket League. My usual response to these folks is "you're playing a soccer game with rocket cars, get over yourself." These people act as if they are playing college football and there are NFL scouts watching. Does anyone play video games for fun anymore?

bronk

Banned
Suddenly? Shit i've been dealing with bastards day 1. The word wow may be my most hated word of all time. Saying wow to me with the slightest sarcasm in a real world situation spells trouble.

i really wish people could just be nice :'(

Moobabe

The more competitive a game gets, the saltier people get. If you have nothing to lose, you don't get mad. When you expect to win, you become less tolerant of mistakes.

I know that - but that's what ranked matches are for. If you think you're good enough to expect to win all the time you should be pitting yourself against people in the same mindset.

jiggles

Banned
I just laugh it off, or say "ok" when someone tries to antagonize me. When they see they're not going to get a reaction, they usually stop.

If you remain silent they tend to just keep pushing because in their mind you're building with rage and about to explode with the payoff they're looking for.

When a teammate in a casual match starts bitching and complaining and being an ass, I never say a thing. I just follow his car around and crash into him repeatedly until he rage quits.

The score really, really doesn't matter.

No excuse for being abusive in a casual unranked match.

I love it when im starting a game and I type "GLHF" and then I type somethin like "close one!" "nice shot!" to me savin a shot from them

then they score

and by them not responding or quickchatting "Thanks!" to my legit compliments I think "oh here it comes"

"WHAT A SAVE"
"WHAT A SAVE"
"WHAT A SAVE"
"WHAT A SAVE"

Totally agree OP.

I don't see why people feel the need to downplay this. Oh good for you, you think it's worse in another game, or you think 'this is online gaming', or 'it was always bad in Rocket League'.

Fuck that. The ratio of assholes to nice people in Rocket League is increasingly in favor of assholes.

I've played this game nearly every day since launch, and 9 out of 10 games used to be cool, with proper sportsmanship on both sides, also towards the other side.

In fact, the community was one of the reasons I liked this game so much.

Now, I'm lucky to get 1 out of 10 without the entire team consisting of assholes. Even then, there's always a couple of annoying fucks in one of the teams.

I also agree that it's worse because of people acting like childish dicks towards their teammates. If it was just trolling the opponent, it would still suck but at least be somewhat understandable, from a childish dick point of view.

What used to be a cool, fun community has turned truly toxic, and it's ruining the game for me too. I don't even want to win if dudes on my team act like a dick towards everyone in the game.

Every now and then, I still get to play with normal people, and that reminds me why this game is so great.

But I feel that all chat apart from the [team] chat should just be abolished. We'll lose absolutely nothing.

Drinkel

I don't really think you are being particularly sensitive OP, that is no way to talk to another human being and I don't think it's particularly naive to hope or expect change by talking about it. Abuse from teammates also feels way worse than from the opponent.

Alej

Banned
No problem playing with PS4 players (they can be rude or lack team cohesiveness though), but PC players often insult and speak about you dying from cancer and all... I can't stand that so I disabled chat from everyone.

I don't say it's only PC players but in my experience the ease of writing with a keyboard tends to be useful for them.

I'd not found it too bad until the other day, then I encountered these goons

dKkXcZI.png

I tried the report button at the end of the match but it only seemed to show their latest chat messages, which didn't include the n**n** one, so I sent a tweet via PSShare to @rocketleague, got zero response. Very disappointing.

besada

Banned
I generally have pretty nice games. I've only had one really negative experience, which was a couple of kids on PSN shouting rude shit through the microphone. I play on PC, so I see both PSN and PC behavior, and other than that things have been really nice. People say "Nice shot!" And "Thanks" a lot. I had a guy beat my ass, 8-3, on Solo Duel tonight, and he was super nice, offering me a good game afterward and expressing admiration for the three lousy shots I made.

Hektor

I'd not found it too bad until the other day, then I encountered these goons

dKkXcZI.png

I tried the report button at the end of the match but it only seemed to show their latest chat messages, which didn't include the n**n** one, so I sent a tweet via PSShare to @rocketleague, got zero response. Very disappointing.

You think the devs have the time to manually investigate reports send to them over twitter? There is an installbase of multiple million people.

You think the devs have the time to manually investigate reports send to them over twitter? There is an installbase of multiple million people.

Why is it any different to the report feature? Every single one should be investigated. If you don't have the support team to do it, don't add features you can't support.

Into

I dont personally mind it, since i get death threats in WoW on a nightly basis, but would it kill them to just add a option to remove chat altogether? Those that want it, can have it.

That is much easier to implement than to review every single report.

And while they are at it, remove replays, after the game ends all the goals are temp saved and you can view them in the score screen, save them or do nothing (and they are deleted). Bam! Perfect game.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Dude you are playing with Brazilians. I have had the worst experience with them in every game.

Hektor

Why is it any different to the report feature? Every single one should be investigated. If you don't have the support team to do it, don't add features you can't support.

Then people would whine about there beeing no report feature. It's a fight a dev only can lose.

Manually investigating reports is absolutely impossible. We're talking about an installbase of more than 6 to 7 million people here. To put that into perspective, that's the entire population of Hong Kong.

The only thing a dev could do, is implementing a system that autobans based on number of reports a user got, but those don't work, Dota and LoL did that in the past and it was a travesty because everyone started reporting you even if you did nothing wrong, because they didn't liked your cosmetic items or because "LOL NOOB UNINSTALL", resulting in a lot of unjustified tempbans.

southside_wolf

Neo Member
I have found that it has come in waves - it's definitely the thing that will get me to stop playing Rocket League. Some of the toxicity has been maddening, and perhaps even more so, very depressing.

Machina

Banned
I personally think since Rocket League is such a popular game, trolls are playing just to troll because they know the fish will be biting. This game would really benefit from a votekick.

deleted

Yeah, I don't like that either. I play 2 on 2 exclusively with a friend, otherwise it's the 1 on 1 or Rocket Labs playlist.

Can't stand teammates who play bad and continue to shit on you. I have voice chat disabled too... Makes the experience much more pleasant.

Masterphoenix

Neo Member
Console version (PS4) i get a few toxic players every 3-4 games or so (NA servers) but nothing close to LoL or other iconic toxic communities

xrnzaaas

I haven't played Rocket League in quite some time, but my reception was generally positive. I expected a lot worse from the community and in most of the matches with randoms things were going pretty okay (in terms of trolling and being hostile towards others, I try and not to judge people how well they're playing).

PantsuJo

Dude you are playing with Brazilians. I have had the worst experience with them in every game.
I agree. I know there are a lot of good and respectable players in Brazil but, seriously, the amount of trolls and online idiots I've encountered online is incredible.

Personally I've not found it too bad but Dota 2 is my bench mark. I mute people there but haven't found anyone too annoying in Rocket league. Given how short the matches are I don't see too much and I put in over 100 hours. Has it gotten worse since they added the report feature?

Nesther

I just started playing ranked for the first time (been playing local 99% of the time since launch) and so far I had only positive experiences.

There's some tame trash talking between teams obviously, but team mates are always nice and even apologize if they screw up. The worst thing I've heard is the enemy calling us noobs at the end of the game, even though it was a very narrow loss, which made me laugh.

Maybe it's because I'm still unranked?

WITHE1982

When playing with randoms and a team-mate starts to grief you I have a cookie cutter response ready in my chat. It goes:

"Wow thanks. I suddenly feel motivated to play much better and win this for our "team" You're an inspiration"

I then score 4 own goals which usually prompts a rage quit by said player.

TBH it doesn't really bother me that much as it's an enjoyable game whether your winning or losing. I tend to encourage team-mates if they make mistakes and make sure to praise the oppo if they do "nice shots" or "What a save". It's just a shame that there's a small minority of racist, bigoted, uneducated kids but no more than any other online game I've played.

Jimboooo

Neo Member
Whenever someone goes on a rant (teammate or opponent) I tend to just brush it off and reply with 'k' to everything they say. Quite a lot of the time, this just makes them rage even more and hilarity ensues. No skin off my nose, but some of the stuff I've seen thrown around is pretty bad, and it could definitely put a lot of people off which is a shame.

Everyone makes mistakes, and the ragers seem to go mysteriously quiet when they screw up after berating you for something. Except the ones who think that their mess-up is your fault too, because you weren't there to save them, obviously. I'm well aware when I've played a bad game, and I'll hold my hand up and apologise for screw-ups.

On the other hand, the "1 goal down with 4 minutes to go" quitters on my team in competitive 2v2 are irritating as hell. Sets me up for a good way to challenge myself, anyway - it's normally a loss, but it helps me try things out!

I've yet to see a top performer talk shit on my own team.
Usually the trolls are pretty bad.

I have said 'wtf' before at some really careless goals on our own net. That's about it.

Top Bottom