• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League suddenly has the most toxic community i've seen. and its a shame.

JulianImp

Welcome to online multiplayer.

Basically this.

If there's anything I've learned from playing League of Legends for a couple months, it's that most of my matches (still below intermediate player level) are decided by which team has the largest number of brain-dead players, trolls and/or flamers in it. Very few games can end without a flame war that obviously leads to a team underperforming due to lack of teamwork, and that's annoying as hell when you're playing to have some fun since neither winning nor losing by a landslide something I find appealing.

Sapientas

I feel for you OP. Haven't experienced any grief on RL, but years of LoL here in South America have killed me. So much toxicity in every match and it's insane, from your team and the other. I used to get worked up, especially when, like you said, someone keeps nagging at your errors while playing like shit.
Today I really don't engage with any of it. I just don't care anymore and most of the time I have a laugh at it too.
Hope you can get past this and continue to enjoy the game.

It was the same at release when I played it, people spamming the emotes sarcastically.

I do it to myself as well. If I mess up I'll say What a Save! or whatever.

The community is far from toxic. Every game has it's idiots and they pop up every now and then. Just ignore them and play the game.

I'm genuinely baffled people are so upset about trash talk on Rocket League of all things. I only ever use my mic when I'm playing with friends, and it's not that difficult to just not look at the text chat let alone disable it.

I often get messages on Gears UE when we trash a team online. I laugh and then forget about it seconds later.

You guys seriously should avoid online gaming if this is your breaking point thats causing mental breakdowns and rage good lord.

And this isn't something that can be fixed, people act like turds on the Internet. It comes with the territory.

Lylo

I've disabled all the forms of communication in the game months ago and just pretend to be playing with bots. I don't regret this decision and no, i don't care about teamplay with randoms, i just play like there's no tomorrow...

Des0lar

will learn eventually
As a Dota player: lol

Stop caring about what other people write and continue improving yourself.
song_siren.gif

Trace

Banned
I'm genuinely baffled people are so upset about trash talk on Rocket League of all things. I only ever use my mic when I'm playing with friends, and it's not that difficult to just not look at the text chat let alone disable it.

I often get messages on Gears UE when we trash a team online. I laugh and then forget about it seconds later.

You guys seriously should avoid online gaming if this is your breaking point thats causing mental breakdowns and rage good lord.

And this isn't something that can be fixed, people act like turds on the Internet. It comes with the territory.

I'm surprised he said Rocket League if anything. It's one of the friendliest communities around, I think he would literally burn down his house if he played CS:GO or LoL.

KingJ2002

Sorry OP... It's the world of online multiplayer and honestly more needs to be done to punish players who verbally abuse others.

I hope you reported the player. More than likely this isn't his/her first complaint.

ViolentP

Complaining is certainly more productive than following your suggestion of simply not playing -- the developers will only know it's a problem if people complain. Devs have no way of telling if the reason someone quit is specifically because the community was garbage.

edit: and no, it's not necessarily a requirement to send them a message directly -- it's not uncommon for devs to keep tabs on the larger community (gaf, reddit, etc).

Then please, complain away. I'll be playing.

Ryde3

I talked alot of smack on PS4 when Rocket League first came out.

It's so competitive and fun! and I'm a sucker for text chat haha, all in good fun don't like it bother ya op.

Ominym

Banned
It'd be nice if I could disable it all. Quick chat trolling is just as enraging for me. Having some butthole spam What a save over and over when I mess up is just as distracting as someone calling me a faggot.

Honestly, the quick-chat is more than likely why the community had or still has such a positive reputation. The game demands your full attention and only gives you a short period of time to type between resets which when given the lack of voice chat leads to a lot of derogatory repurposing of the quick-chat selection. Even worse is you get people who are so used to talking (typing) shit on Rocket League for PS4 that their console saves it for repeated use.

I would love to see the dichotomy between the console versions and PC given the greater ability to type on PC, as I imagine it's a lot more vitriolic.

Wow!
Wow!
Wow!
What a save!
Wow!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Suddenly? It's been that way nearly since I got the game on PS+ over the summer.

I was starting to lose my cool but then disabled all the chat after a month or two, otherwise I wouldn't be playing anymore. I only really play with my friends anyway so the chat doesn't really make a difference to me.

I have my social settings set to only-friends for all games on my X1. I am sure I am missing out on some strategy/communication, but don't want to deal with negative stuff that comes along. I play games to relax, have a good time and escape. Not deal with that stuff.

vvise

when you get into the higher tier ranked games, the community becomes much more friendly.

Right around the middle (Challenger II) is really toxic. I think it's because players want to get better but can't, so they get really frustrated at their teammates. It's hard to crawl up and out but once you get better and make it higher it gets a lot better and everyone is nice.

I recently had a couple bad nights and dropped ranks and I noticed the toxicity went way up . Look forward to getting back up where people are nice and pass to each other.

Acerac

Banned
I don't know how the light ribbing (e.g., "Great shot!" when you get an own goal) is possibly "the most toxic community." I've never seen anyone type out a message longer than a single letter or "READY!"

You should read the OP in that case.

Reading OPs are an excellent way to understand what a thread is about.

jtan

If anyone (teammates or opponents) starts trash talking I usually just reply with "Thanks!". It either irritates them more or they just stop. If it keeps irritating them they usually give up after my constant reply of thanks. I'm just in it to play. If I get paired with uncooperative people, well, you can't win em all so just play through it.

Btw this is ranked. I don't usually play unranked, which in my experience has had worse people lol.

Hahs

Forgive me for saying so OP, but perhaps grow a thicker skin; unfortunately right now, being offended is risk we all take when interacting with people from all walks of life.

On the same token; The devs put a block on curse words for all regions - perhaps a block on derogatory words will be in the next patch, but it's highly unlikely to avert all forms of offensive informal spellings though.

I think this post raises some really interesting (and controversial) discussion topics that are tricky to come to a clear consensus on.

We obviously implemented the first pass reporting system so players like Salsa could let us know if they're being harassed and we could review those cases. So I'm sympathetic to him feeling like the game he wants to play is being ruined for him.

On the other hand, I think this thread could have easily been framed as: "Why are the players on South American Rocket League servers being so toxic?" There's a tendency to subtly shift blame onto the game itself, or the developer, for an online multiplayer playerbase having some bad apples or being less than polite at all times. But do you guys think this is fair? Riot's been working on "reforming" their players for years with massive funding and an entire research team and still have a lot of trouble with it.

Do you guys think it's reasonable to expect an independent developer to "police" an entire playerbase so someone like Salsa is never bothered by in-game chat? Is that even realistic? Obviously we think steps are necessary since we implemented first pass reporting functionality, but I'm skeptical the line for actually banning / suspending people will match up with what's bothering some of the people in this thread. We aren't ever going to ban somebody for using Quick Chat sarcastically, for example. And we already let you easily disable chat, voice, etc. if it bothers you.

This certainly isn't an official statement from our team - it's just me asking questions as a fellow gamer who happens to develop too. My personal experience playing (and not just on a dev account) has been extremely positive, well beyond what I see in most shooters or MOBAs. So it's always a little surprising to read this kind of thing.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I have my social settings set to only-friends for all games on my X1. I am sure I am missing out on some strategy/communication, but don't want to deal with negative stuff that comes along. I play games to relax, have a good time and escape. Not deal with that stuff.

See, I really wish I had the option of completely muting text-voice chat in games to nothing more than friends or certain people blocked. Unfortunately, games don't give that many mute/block player options.

This certainly isn't an official statement from our team - it's just me asking questions as a fellow gamer who happens to develop too. My personal experience playing (and not just on a dev account) has been extremely positive, well beyond what I see in most shooters or MOBAs. So it's always a little surprising to read this kind of thing.

Then you're lucky. A month after you gave Rocket League to everyone that pre-ordered a Steam controller (so around... August? July?) the community started to get REALLY bad in regards to competitive/ranked to where if you weren't 100% your best at the time, people would shit talk you constantly or go and self goal. The community has shifted from "it's just a game" into "5-0. Just Defend. Not The Map That Lags In Rain." serious. I think part of the problem is that players are going into ranked solo (3v3 Standard solo, not 3v3 Solo-solo) facing teams that racist/homophobic (seen some interesting Steam names) and since that's more than the norm for some of us... thinking the community is/gotten worse. Maybe you and others that don't see the problem are the norm. But honestly, I've seen too many self-goals/racist/etc. for my taste to where I don't touch competitive.
That and the game putting me with 180 pings on US servers is a bit WTF.

I mean on the level of toxicity, I think Salsa is completely blowing Rocket League's "toxicity" out of the water. In terms of competitive online, it's like... very minor compared to League, Counter-Strike, SOCOM, and other shooter/RTS/whatever/eSports I've played.

But people sending you salt messages in fighters and the like is why I've turned friends-only chat on for the most part. I don't need that level of bullshit because people can't handle they took a loss or won and think I'm shit.

As much as I have met some chill people on there that I play with from time to time, I have to agree. So many racist comment spewing shitlords its unbearable at times.

Pavaloo

i tend to say Thanks! when people spam what a save or nice shot and it shuts them up lol

tbh i beat them and spam back and it feels good lol i still say sorry or whoops when i know i mess up, but i guess im part of the problem. ive never had particularly bad or frustrating experiences so far tho just responding with Thanks! seems to defuse any insult

Turning off chat is a good option but I like to have the chat available to communicate those team messages. I got it, take the shot and defending chat options can come in handy. Team chat only is better but you still get assholes on your team.

Then you're lucky. A month after you gave Rocket League to everyone that pre-ordered a Steam controller (so around... August? July?) the community started to get REALLY bad in regards to competitive/ranked to where if you weren't 100% your best at the time, people would shit talk you constantly or go and self goal. The community has shifted from "it's just a game" into "5-0. Just Defend. Not The Map That Lags In Rain." serious. I think part of the problem is that players are going into ranked solo (3v3 Standard solo, not 3v3 Solo-solo) facing teams that racist/homophobic (seen some interesting Steam names) and since that's more than the norm for some of us... thinking the community is/gotten worse. Maybe you and others that don't see the problem are the norm. But honestly, I've seen too many self-goals/racist/etc. for my taste to where I don't touch competitive.
That and the game putting me with 180 pings on US servers is a bit WTF.

What skill tier are you at in competitive, out of curiosity?

Regarding Steam names, if the platform allows it, do you think we should be censoring player names beyond what Steam allows?

In my own experience, the amount of reasonable and polite individuals far exceeds the douchelords. That's not to say a single asshole can't ruin a match for everyone involved, but that's a) par for the course in any multi-player game and b) infrequent enough to not be a deterrent to keep playing and enjoying the game. I like the way there's a report system implemented now.

Erevador

I've played many hours on the PS4, and I've never encountered any abhorrent behavior. In general the player base has been very respectful.

Sorry you had such a bad experience.

Salsa

I think this post raises some really interesting (and controversial) discussion topics that are tricky to come to a clear consensus on.

We obviously implemented the first pass reporting system so players like Salsa could let us know if they're being harassed and we could review those cases. So I'm sympathetic to him feeling like the game he wants to play is being ruined for him.

On the other hand, I think this thread could have easily been framed as: "Why are the players on South American Rocket League servers being so toxic?" There's a tendency to subtly shift blame onto the game itself, or the developer, for an online multiplayer playerbase having some bad apples or being less than polite at all times. But do you guys think this is fair? Riot's been working on "reforming" their players for years with massive funding and an entire research team and still have a lot of trouble with it.

Do you guys think it's reasonable to expect an independent developer to "police" an entire playerbase so someone like Salsa is never bothered by in-game chat? Is that even realistic? Obviously we think steps are necessary since we implemented first pass reporting functionality, but I'm skeptical the line for actually banning / suspending people will match up with what's bothering some of the people in this thread. We aren't ever going to ban somebody for using Quick Chat sarcastically, for example. And we already let you easily disable chat, voice, etc. if it bothers you.

well no I mean, you're right. I wasnt trying to frame this as blame the dev. I know even from the servers issues and launch and such that the reception and amount of players have been kinda staggering and im glad of that, but it must be impossible to police, yeah.

what I mostly wanted to say is that it seems that it has gotten worse, and that I also didnt quite understand what the report function exactly does (which I now better understand). I havent played an MP game this 'religiously' in a while so its not like i'd be accostumed to this to the levels of everyone sayin "you never played a MOBA, right?"

just wanted to know if it was me being crazy or having the bad luck to run into bad players or if the player base was growing and getting competitive to the point where this kind of player was showing up more

that, and that the third time I got paired with a guy I reported each time just bummed me out

there's only so much a dev can do and you clearly aren't at fault

it's just a nasty byproduct of something being this competitive and big that I havent ran into in quite a while, so it's been harder for me to just blow off, specially after so many great experiences early on

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Really? People on the first page were saying you can't turn off quick chat. Is that on PC or PS4?

They must've patched it in recently.

I don't recall those being in the options, but I don't play Rocket League hardcore.

What skill tier are you at in competitive, out of curiosity?

Regarding Steam names, if the platform allows it, do you think we should be censoring player names beyond what Steam allows?

I stopped playing Competitive. Mostly because I got tired of matchmaking throwing me into 180ping games where the game "lags" and makes me miss shots. I don't need that in competitive. Same reason I don't play Fighting Games online. If I feel like the game is working against me in a competitive online environment, I'm not going to deal with that.

I think I was like... 100-400 in the pre-season and then became unranked or whatever and haven't touched Competitive outside of 1-4 times in the past few months. Anytime I play Rocket League now is in unranked to where if I get 180/South Americans on US East/West servers I can quickly leave and go to another game.

As far as Steam names, I don't mind them being "nigger loving faggot" as a name, because well... that's their display name. But when you run across players like:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaygaming/
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198137537161/

(Just look at former display names: "Nig Nog", "Nig Nag" and stuff like that)

It makes you go "hmmm..." in some regards. Though from my experience most of the players that have names like that tend to play ARK, CS:GO, and a few other "lol git gud faggot" communities in addition to Rocket League. So I don't think it's specifically a Rocket League problem.

Also I'm waiting on Hockey League to come back in unranked. I prefer that mode to the soccer mode given I hate trying to do aerials and failing.

That said, I'm not blaming you or the game or anything. It just seems like certain cross-sections of games get these sorts of players that really sour the "good" communities after a while. Though from what I've noticed, with the introduction of the report system unranked and general "ass"-yness in Rocket League has fallen in the games I've played. Nobody being bitchy because they're not being carried and the like.

Stormus

I've played several hundred matches and can't think of one time I've had a problem with this. Can't help but think you're in a minority when it comes to encountering BM

FloorEssence

Neo Member
Don't disable chat altogether because there's some great people out there you will never meet without it just because there's a few assholes.

I have 300 hours on RL and play on Aussie servers (who I find are more rude than Americans when I play other games on US servers, I'm Australian btw) and no way is the community the most toxic compared to other games. A lot of people don't even talk.

I've also made about 30 Steam friends through Rocket League, more than any other game and I have far more hours on other games.

Seriously disabling chat is just weak. Report and move on. If you always run from toxic people you will never learn to handle them and they will always irritate you and you will never be able to chat or meet the good people in these games who make the experience so much greater.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
It's just normal human behaviour and etiquette.

The same would happen in any walk of life, particularly with one way communication. If you're happily drumming on the table and some guy is silently listening and getting furious at your annoying drumming and neither does anything it's bad. If he says something to try and effect change and you carry on its terrible. But if you stop and say oops it's all fine.

If you keep ramming me and cost us the game while I'm suggesting you stop and be less headless chicken and you ignore me - fuck you.

As for people spamming "abuse" or not being welcoming or friendly or understanding of noobish ways - that's just banter. If something funny happens people laugh and make fun, that's why we play.

So basically you don't like people suggesting improvements or making fun of you? We should all be the silent guy stewing in anger and eventually boredom?

That's not how community or fun works.

I do need a report button for people who spawn at goal but leave it open immediately to go for the big corner boost. Those people should be forced to wear a dunce hat for the remainder of the day.

rafaelr

You can literally choose any permutation of chat options.
All Chat, Team Chat only, Quick Chat Only, No Chat

you got almost everything covered, adding one more option to only have the team specific messages ("i got it", "centering",...) would complete the list. :)

You should read the OP in that case.

Reading OPs are an excellent way to understand what a thread is about.

Yeah, I did. I don't get how the "nice shot!" or "what a save!" quick chat options, used sarcastically, could make someone go into a rage. And the typical racists BS on Rocket LEague seems way less than on almost any other major competitive game like CS or CoD that I've played in years... because on consoles it just takes too long to type something out.

Unain

Ever since I turned off text chat (quick chat is still on), it's been a much better experience for me. I feel less pressure when I miss or fail accidentally.

Rockyrock

Was playing 4v4 the other night with a full party of friends and it can be pretty boring because its unranked.

So I used chat to spice things up a bit. just drop a simple comment like "ez" after a goal and watch everyone start trying as if it was ranked.

It turned a lack luster unranked lobby into a fun heated competitive rounds between 2 teams who wouldve otherwise been screwing around.

Top Bottom