• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockman ZX comes to Japan early (and we give our impressions)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
As stated in the topic title, Rockman ZX hit stores early, as it`s supposed to hit tomorrow. I wasn`t aware it had hit early until I talked to duckroll last night, and he told me sp0rsk already had his copy.

So, this morning, on my way to work, I decided to check if it was in. Indeed, it was. When I picked up my copy, I even got the special preorder dvd, despite not preordering the game. The dvd, if I remember correctly, is a set of maniac runs through the game. I`m at work, though, so I can`t really check right now.

I played a bit of the game on the train, including the intro level, and half of one mission. Structurally, it plays like Zero. You get missions from a central hub, and then wander to your destination. The animation is fluid, and the parallax scrolling is excellent. Objects in both the background and foreground move with relative realism, giving a sense of graphical depth. Rockman himself (or herself, if you choose to play as the girl) moves with the expected fluidity. The move set you`ve come to expect out of the blue bomber is also present: dashing, dash jump, shooting, wall run, etc.

One thing I didn`t expect was the production value in the intro parts. It`s entirely voice acted! Not only that, but when your character transforms into Rockman for the first time to take on a giant purple snake bot, it`s a fully animated anime cutscene, with surprising clarity! I`ll tell you, I didn`t expect it.

I`m not looking forward to seeing how the VA work turns out in english. It will probably be terrible. Oh well. :|

What I did expect, was punishing difficulty. Even the intro boss killed me once before I figured out where to stand to dodge his attacks and shots. I only played on the train to work, so I haven`t had a chance to play a lot of it, yet. Tonight I should be able to play more and offer more thoughts on it.

I know sp0rsk, and probably a few other JP gaffers have the game as well, so they can go ahead and add anything to this impression thread.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
MrAngryFace said:
Awesome, keep impressions coming. Im buying a DS Lite for this game.

Will do. Today is a busy day at work, but I get out early, so I`ll have lots of time to play after.

jj984jj said:
Is the music good as well?

What I heard was awesome. I`ll confess, though, that I played most of the game on the train without headphones, so I had to play on mute. I`ll be able to play with sound when I get home.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
TheTrin said:
I`m not looking forward to seeing how the VA work turns out in english. It will probably be terrible. Oh well. :|
Hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm really looking forward to this game.

Ok, so my Japanese isn't great (I suck at Kanji)... I know these games can get story intensive in the early parts, how import friendly is it?

thetrin

Magicpaint said:
Ok, so my Japanese isn't great (I suck at Kanji)... I know these games can get story intensive in the early parts, how import friendly is it?

There`s very little kanji, so far. All the names and objects are written in katakana, and most of the conversations are in hiragana. As long as you can read those, you should be fine.

thetrin

Earthstrike said:
Gameplay Gameplay Gameplay Gameplay Gameplay Gameplay Gameplay

Dude, I`m at work, give me a break. I`ll be able to play more tonight.

TheTrin said:
There`s very little kanji, so far. All the names and objects are written in katakana, and most of the conversations are in hiragana. As long as you can read those, you should be fine.

Oh that's sweet, I'm pretty ok with the Kana. Thanks, I'll place an order then. :)

thetrin

Bebpo said:
Sounds good. How are the level design so far?

Very zeroish. In outside areas, tons of slanting platforms with troops everywhere. In inside areas, lots of hardhat dudes with zero sabers (yea, I know), and robotic giraffes that spew acidic vomit at me (uuuh...really). So far the game is having no problem punishing me for making a mistake. I fell down an embankment, and there was a turret stationed right there looking at me. Every time I jumped, it hit me back down, and the bottom of the turret is armored, meaning I couldn`t blow it up without getting to higher ground. You can imagine what happened. :(

thetrin

Amir0x said:
oh yeaaah. i can't wait for this, Zero rocked.

ZX will not disappoint. It plays a lot like Zero.

OH! One thing I forgot to mention. With the X button, you can change between Live Metal on the fly. Live Metal is basically what kind of suit you wear. I only have Hu (Human) and X (Rockman) right now, so it doesn`t do me any good. It is nice to know that I can switch between suits, on the fly, though. Very cool.

When you hit X, your character goes into a transformation stance, and the chips for each suit float around him. You can then scroll through them and pick the one you want to use.

I think the Zero series had the best flow of gameplay in the entire Rockman series. I'm glad to hear it plays like those.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
TheTrin said:
ZX will not disappoint. It plays a lot like Zero.

OH! One thing I forgot to mention. With the X button, you can change between Live Metal on the fly. Live Metal is basically what kind of suit you wear. I only have Hu (Human) and X (Rockman) right now, so it doesn`t do me any good. It is nice to know that I can switch between suits, on the fly, though. Very cool.
yeah yoh mentioned that. that's a pretty cool gameplay feature.

can't wait for this game, sounds like DMC3 in 2d to me :lol

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Thanks for the heads-up; I'll go check around today and see if it's out here in Kanazawa. Doubtful, but it gives me another reason to go back to Yamada Denki and play more Tekken DR on PSP. :D

thetrin

Lyte Edge said:
Thanks for the heads-up; I'll go check around today and see if it's out here in Kanazawa. Doubtful, but it gives me another reason to go back to Yamada Denki and play more Tekken DR on PSP. :D

It should be out everywhere. I thought sp0rsk was just lucky, but apparently not.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
From what I've seen from the Famitsu scans, what I've read, and from the E3 videos I've seen, this looks to be the best Megaman game ever made... seriously...

The whole Zero series is excellent, period - and this one looks to be so much more - I love this series even more than my previous favourites, the X series on the SNES...

Too bad I can't read a word of Japanese, but I may cave in and get it Japanese anyways just to be playing it now with the cool Japanese voices I won't understand...

Lyte Edge

TheTrin said:
It should be out everywhere. I thought sp0rsk was just lucky, but apparently not.

Cool, cool. Hope it's not SOLD OUT everywhere, as can be the case with DS stuff around here! Might have to embark on a little quest for Rockman ZX tonight. Scratch that, I KNOW I'm going to out looking for the game right after work. :lol

mutsu

Excellent, I was about to post a "Any impressions yet?" thread, cos I know HK gaffers would have got the game early. But I didn't expect Japan gaffers to get it early also!!

thetrin

mutsu said:
Excellent, I was about to post a "Any impressions yet?" thread, cos I know HK gaffers would have got the game early. But I didn't expect Japan gaffers to get it early also!!

Actually, I think we got it before HK gaffers. Duckroll is in Singapore and he still doesn`t have it. (and I believe both HK and Singapore are part of the same asian distro schedule)

hoqhuuep

So how's the second screen like? Did they utilize the touch feature well, or is it just an easier way to select menu options?

thetrin

hoqhuuep said:
So how's the second screen like? Did they utilize the touch feature well, or is it just an easier way to select menu options?

So far, the menus are displayed on the upper screen, along with the action. When you`re in human mode, the bottom screen is a collage of circuitry. When you switch to X, you get a logo with R.O.C.K. (Rebirth of Crystal Knowledge System) on it.

Haven`t played enough to try out the touch features yet.

EDIT: I was wondering why I can even switch to human mode, so I switched to it to check what I can do. You can duck in human mode. :eek:

thetrin

jj984jj said:
I think there is also a crab boss battle in the game. How is all this possible on the DS?!?

Simply because in ZX, you`re not able to flip it over, and attack it for massive damage.

Brannon

But you can flip over your DS, play it upside down and deal the crab boss massive damage. Try flipping over your TV in mid-battle without pausing.

DS = New hotness.

Lyte Edge

Okay, I'm off on my quest to see if Rockman ZX made it here today too! I DOUBT IT!!! :lol

TheTrin said:
EDIT: I was wondering why I can even switch to human mode, so I switched to it to check what I can do. You can duck in human mode. :eek:

surprise.jpg

thetrin

Lyte Edge said:

Any Rockman fan should be having that reaction. :lol

To anyone who doesn`t know, I thought I`d share that Lyte has been sending me e-mails to my cell phone telling me he can`t find Rockman ZX at all. sp0rsk got a copy, I got a copy...anyone else in JP successful?

So I played a little more in between classes, and I noticed that almost the ENTIRE GAME IS VOICE ACTED. Not just the intro. Any mission based dialogue is voice acted. Holy Crap!

Also, the music owns.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Do you like castlevania? do you like rockman games?

Then rockman ZX is for you!

Hrm....do i import it, not know whats going on story wise.....or wait 3 months, know whats going on in a story that i probably would skim over anyway.

hrm, have to wait till some people beat it, so i know if the story is worth knowing (it allready sounds like its pretty neat :( ), and how fun/hard it is ...im sure its very fun and hard though :p

Lyte Edge

Couldn't find it around here. Asked at one store and the guy just looked at me funny, and said "It comes out tomorrow." (thursday is always new release day for games here) SO ME AM CRY ;_;

Tomorrow it is then!

kiryogi

Banned
Sigh, my local importer wont be gettig it until friday I think D: But i've gotten various impressions elsewhere.. heres some juicy tidbits if anyones curious

Giro dies! :eek:, and Bairu is back D:

I'll probably end up getting ZX domestic so thats 2 XD There's chatter about slotting in Z3/4 carts will let you face the old bosses from them :eek:

Lyte Edge

kiryogi said:
Sigh, my local importer wont be gettig it until friday I think D: But i've gotten various impressions elsewhere.. heres some juicy tidbits if anyones curious

Giro dies! :eek:, and Bairu is back D:

I'll probably end up getting ZX domestic so thats 2 XD There's chatter about slotting in Z3/4 carts will let you face the old bosses from them :eek:

Who are those characters in the spoilers?

kiryogi

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Who are those characters in the spoilers?

Giro, aka girouette is the guy vent/aile work for and gets model Z. Things get messy and I wont go into it, but he ends up dying and gives you livemetal Z which enables ZX for usage. Meanwhile, Bairu/Weil was the big main antagonist of the Zero series. To be precise, it seems Serpent has unearthed livemetal V, which very distinctly resembles Bairu.

Oh I forgot to mention, neat cameos were found. You can find the remains of Hyleg Ourobockle in the bgs of one of the stages. You can also find someone with Blues' car from the MM racer. Finally here's a huge bit of fanservice.. the X1 highway stage recreated piece by piece design wise. :eek: With updated enemies of course. But the exact placement and ruined portions, it's all there. Also... if you've seen Prairie's room, oh god. But man that basically confirms that
she's Alouette
but nothing solid on that yet.

Lyte Edge

kiryogi said:
Giro, aka girouette is the guy vent/aile work for and gets model Z. Things get messy and I wont go into it, but he ends up dying and gives you livemetal Z which enables ZX for usage. Meanwhile, Bairu/Weil was the big main antagonist of the Zero series. To be precise, it seems Serpent has unearthed livemetal V, which very distinctly resembles Bairu.

Ah okay,
Bairu = Weil. Got it! I haven't played much of Mega Man Zero, so I'm going to go read those script faqs to get ready for this game.

Gio_CoD

Banned
shaft said:
when is the north american release for this game?
September 12th, 2006.

I was thinking about importing this, but I still have to go through Hunters and Dawn of Sorrow before I'm caught up on my DS backlog. I guess I'll wait for the domestic release.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I got my first new live metal after getting ZX, its called HX and the features are

No megabuster (two different slashes)
Tracking ball thingies that kill (uses up your mp)
slow fall
air dash

note: airdash and slowfall are comboable and it adds a whole new awesomeness to the maneuverability to X. This game ****ing ROCKS.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
sp0rsk said:
I got my first new live metal after getting ZX, its called HX and the features are

No megabuster (two different slashes)
Tracking ball thingies that kill (uses up your mp)
slow fall
air dash

note: airdash and slowfall are comboable and it adds a whole new awesomeness to the maneuverability to X. This game ****ing ROCKS.
omgomgomg why do americans have to wait until september? :(

Top Bottom