• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockman ZX comes to Japan early (and we give our impressions)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
oh also it has an electric slash that takes up alot of mp

if all the types are as different and awesome as this one, were in for a ****ing sweet game. ive already forgotten about the kinda meh first part of the game.

TreIII

Sounds quite awesome...my import from play-asia should be arriving tomorrow, so you can bet I'll contribute to the cause of spreading the Gospel of ZX as soon as possible...

Also...

http://www.rockmanpm.com/forum/index.php?topic=1167.0
http://megaman.retrofaction.com/community/index.php?showtopic=3198&st=0&p=64647&

Go there for some nice screens of the game, as taken from a DS emu. Not perfect, but enough to get a gist of how beautiful this game looks.

For example:

ZX12.gif

zx9.png

zx36.png

zx33.png

Credit: Rockman Perfect Memories, Megaman Network and the contributing posters

todog

Archie said:
omgomgomg why do americans have to wait until september? :(

So that we will be spoilt for choice:

Yakuza PS2 Sep.06
Okami PS2 05.09.2006
Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins PSP 05.09.2006
Mario Hoops 3 on 3 NDS 11.09.2006
Final Fantasy III NDS 12.09.2006
DQ Heroes: Rocket Slime NDS 12.09.2006
Mega Man ZX NDS 12.09.2006
Contact NDS 12.09.2006
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria PS2 19.09.2006
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 NDS 25.09.2006

That's just madness right there. So many great games and so little time.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
TreIII said:
Sounds quite awesome...my import from play-asia should be arriving tomorrow, so you can bet I'll contribute to the cause of spreading the Gospel of ZX as soon as possible...

Also...

http://www.rockmanpm.com/forum/index.php?topic=1167.0
http://megaman.retrofaction.com/community/index.php?showtopic=3198&st=0&p=64647&

Go there for some nice screens of the game, as taken from a DS emu. Not perfect, but enough to get a gist of how beautiful this game looks.

For example:

ZX12.gif

zx9.png

zx36.png

zx33.png

Credit: Rockman Perfect Memories, Megaman Network and the contributing posters

that bug boss is SUCH an homage to Mega Man X (anyone who has played X1 knows exactly what I mean.)

Mario Hoops 3 on 3 NDS 11.09.2006
Final Fantasy III NDS 12.09.2006
DQ Heroes: Rocket Slime NDS 12.09.2006
Mega Man ZX NDS 12.09.2006
Contact NDS 12.09.2006

Holy Sh*t!!!

5 games that all look awesome with in two days, on the same system.

I can´t wait to play the game, I hope the play-asia package arrives to my city this week. Anyway, for the people with the game, I heard that ZX haves some connectivity with Rockman Zero 3 & Rockman Zero 4, any word of this in the booklet?.

TreIII

TheTrin said:
that bug boss is SUCH an homage to Mega Man X (anyone who has played X1 knows exactly what I mean.)

It gets better...from what I heard, the whole damn level is, design-wise, a carbon copy of the first level of X1. :D All of the Bug Mini-bosses are in their proper place, as are the lil pitfalls where you can find the goodies too. The main differences between then and now being that there are a couple of different/upgraded baddies to be had, as is expected.

Oh, and you
fight Model Z-equipped Girouette at the end instead of VAVA/Vile, of course.
:D

Still, it's as awesome and fan-service-y as can be. Take that, Irregular Hunter X and Rockman Rockman! You're not the only ones who can supply that type of goodness! :lol

Aghhh...tomorrow afternoon can't come soon enough! Hurry FedEX!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
rockman zx said:
I can´t wait to play the game, I hope the play-asia package arrives to my city this week. Anyway, for the people with the game, I heard that ZX haves some connectivity with Rockman Zero 3 & Rockman Zero 4, any word of this in the booklet?.

I've read this as well... this is amazing if true!!!

I will now confess that I've never gotten to finish a single MM Zero game on GBA, but did manage to sample 1 to 3 quite a bit - being playing since the first one came out actually when I heard that it was a TRUE MM game, not like that 3D crap, and was pretty hard - the difficulty wasn't the reason why I stopped playing, it was more that I didn't buy the game, and I was waiting till I did...

Then as each game came out, there was always some other console game that kept me away from playing - that sucked... this is why a MM Zero Collection from 1 to 4, or atleast some boxset would rock my world... another reason why I could hold off on importing this as well (actually, since I'm on vacation, I have to wait about 5 weeks till I get home even if I import anyways)...

Thanks for the pics and links by the way Tre - they look awesome, and I was looking for some dedicated MM ZX forum to really get some impressions also...

I'm seriously considering getting the JPN version, if just for the voices... I'm used to importing Japanese games for all these years now anyways...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
TreIII said:
It gets better...from what I heard, the whole damn level is, design-wise, a carbon copy of the first level of X1. :D All of the Bug Mini-bosses are in their proper place, as are the lil pitfalls where you can find the goodies too. The main differences between then and now being that there are a couple of different/upgraded baddies to be had, as is expected.

Oh, and you
fight Model Z-equipped Girouette at the end instead of VAVA/Vile, of course.
:D

Still, it's as awesome and fan-service-y as can be. Take that, Irregular Hunter X and Rockman Rockman! You're not the only ones who can supply that type of goodness! :lol

Aghhh...tomorrow afternoon can't come soon enough! Hurry FedEX!

Actually, I'm already playing the game, and much of it is like X1. In fact, almost exactly, except for a few exceptions at the end.

thetrin

the androgyne said:
So how import friendly is it overall? Menus/story etc .. anything else?

If you know katakana and hiragana, you're pretty home free. Otherwise, you're going to be pretty confused, at least at first. There's pretty much no english in the game, except for the big R.O.C.K. on the bottom screen. :p

thetrin

Apologies for the double post, but I just wanted to mention something about HX that I think sp0rsk forgot (or I'm blind). When you're in HX mode, you don't just have a pallette swap, but a whole new suit. Not only that, but in HX mode, the bottom screen acts as enemy analysis.

kiryogi

Banned
Did everyone just miss my post about the X1 highway and isn't posting emulator shots sorta bad? Also, no one here realizes the significance of why the models have said abilities? Oy.

Go here to see neat animations of the Double Rock-ons in action in the model section:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/rockman_zx/main.html

It must be noted that the models are basically giving you the Shitennou abilities. I feel a bit insulted about my previous ZX posts being ignored with all these sudden discoveries of the abilities. :/ I'll probably give a run by summary of what/whos here later in here when I get the chance.

thetrin

kiryogi said:
Did everyone just miss my post about the X1 highway and isn't posting emulator shots sorta bad? Also, no one here realizes the significance of why the models have said abilities? Oy.

Go here to see neat animations of the Double Rock-ons in action in the model section:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/rockman_zx/main.html

It must be noted that the models are basically giving you the Shitennou abilities. I feel a bit insulted about my previous ZX posts being ignored with all these sudden discoveries of the abilities. :/ I'll probably give a run by summary of what/whos here later in here when I get the chance.

I knew they were connected to guardians in the Zero series, but I was talking about how impressive the change was, after coming from the X series, which is the last Rockman I really seriously played.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
emulator shots? this game is playable on an emu? didnt know ds emulation was that good...

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Himuro said:
I'm really bad at Megaman games. Do you suggest it for me? What are good Megaman games for a guy like me who really really sucks at these games but wants to get better?
Zero games are omfg kick you in the ass hard. I am guessing(?) that ZX is just as hard. I'd reccomend Megaman 2 or Megaman X for beginners.

Jiggy

As long as they continue including a playable female character in future games, I'll probably never abandon the Mega Man/Rockman series again. And I haven't seriously played any of the games since X2.

lyre

Himuro said:
I'm really bad at Megaman games. Do you suggest it for me? What are good Megaman games for a guy like me who really really sucks at these games but wants to get better?

It's tough love, but get Megaman Zero 3 and hope for the best. You don't really need to play perfectly (with 100 points in the end) but it'll break you in quite nicely. By the time you're done and can play Zero3 easily, playing the X games should be a breeze. Just make sure you don't get pissed off from spending an hour beating a 5 minute stage. :p

Mr. Pointy said:
I have the opportunity to get cheap MM Zero games, which ones should I get so I can get ready for ZX?

Zero 3 is the 'easiest' but get them all. They're all worth playing.

Zeed

Banned
sp0rsk said:
emulator shots? this game is playable on an emu? didnt know ds emulation was that good...
It's working on DeSmuME v.0.3.4, but really slow (around 20fps as mentioned before).

This thread convinced me. I'm ordering from Game Choice Club as we speak. Prey can wait.

This will be the first Megaman game I have purchased and owned since 5 in 1994.

edit: Whoa. Shipping is worse than I thought there. Lik Sang it is.

kiryogi

Banned
Sorry about the attack really. It's just that you guys have it, I don't . I post all these wonderful articles/media in the last few months and its all D: In any case, this is probably the first traditional Rockman to feature form changes. It opens up a whole new world of action platforming with the variety it offers. .EXE did actually do form changes first, but that's not traditional Rockman now is it?

TreIII

Himuro said:

In addition to what others have said, you may also want to consider the fact that this game (ZX)DOES have seemingly at least 3 difficulty modes, Easy, Normal, and Hard (once you unlock it). No matter your personal skill level, it should be a good game for you to practice and brandish your skills.

As for other games? Well, I would basically go down the line...even though some of these kats jump out with the likes of Zero 3 and such, I still advocate playing some of the older games, just so you can gradually develop your skills, instead of perhaps being overwhelmed.

First off, I would start with one of the greats (and firsts) from back in the day, Mega Man 2 (NES).

MM2Title.GIF

Not only one of my distinctive favorites, it's also one of the easier games in the series, out right. Plus, while it may have definitely less options and such for you to play around with, it has all of the basics that you should start to hone if you want to play more Mega Man games, that being such things like "how to shoot properly", "how to take advantage of enemy weaknesses", "knowing your proper positioning", and "how to be creative with the weapons you are given". Get familiar with the likes of these skills; even though later games in the series would add the likes of additional characters/armors and other things, the basics that you learn from the original NES classics still, for all sakes and purposes, work just fine in later games.

After you get comfortable with MM2 (as well as possibly other NES classics like MM3, 4 and 5), it may be time to think about kicking it up a notch with Mega Man X (SNES).

MMX1Title.GIF

The first true evolution of the franchise since MM2 over the first game, this game introduces the likes of Dashing, Wall-Jumping and other such gameplay mechanics into the MM-style. Again, later games (and furthermore, the Zero series) more or less don't deviate THAT far from what this particular game started, which makes it (at least I think) an ideal title to get another good basis of how these games work.

Following that, you may touch on more of the other X games, which hopefully would lead you right along to X4 (eventually).

MMX4Title.JPG

This game marks another pinnacle in the franchise, in that it added such things like a full 2nd character to play as (X3's Zero I really don't "count" in this regard). By this point, playing as X should be more of a refresher than any thing else. If you've been "diligent" with developing your game, X (being yet another decidedly easy game in the series) should be just a way for you to further annex more gameplay additions into your playstyle. But the real meat and potatoes of this game is playing as Zero (or as I liked to call him back in the day "Strider Blondie" :lol ).

Screen2.JPG

Zero's rather distinctive playstyle opened up a whole new can of worms in the series, allowing for a player to opt to get up in the Boss's grill directly and slash 'em across the face, rather than always relying on the Buster. In addition, instead of just using enemy weapons like X does, Zero gets "Skills" that allow him to do various things by putting in rather simplistic controller motions. (If you can do the types of motions that the likes of "Tales of..." games require, you should have NO problem). I would get as much training with Zero here and in X5 as much as possible, as again, Zero's playstyle here isn't too far removed from his basic overall performance in his own series.

MMZ1Title.GIF

Finally, the Zero series. Arguably the most "hardcore" classic-style (re: NOT EXE) Mega Man game to date, this series basically trusts that you've been a rather "studious" gamer who should know his shit before picking this title up. That's why I suggest you hold off on this series until you've gotten enough experience in the Original and X, in order to build up a foundation. I mean, you can't expect to throw some body into Calculus III if they haven't even had Algebra and Geometry before hand, right? :D

Any way, this series will be the one that will definitely put any aspiring MM-gamer to the test. As a rule, this series emphasizes precise movements, minimizing damage to your person, making do on less (for instance, it's emphasized that you don't take advantage of power-ups), and memorizing enemy patterns to great success. To me, it's a toss-up between Zero 3 and Zero 4 of which one technically is easier (I'm more inclined to Zero 4, giving how the Rating system is mostly kaput, and it doesn't punish you for using Power-ups), but Zero 3 is definitely the better made game. And as always, if you wish to make things easier on yourself for a first go-round, go ahead and use a power-up or two....or several. :D The bottomline is to make sure you're still having fun, challenge is secondary.

As a final note, don't go out fighting unprepared. There are plenty of useful sites out there which should do wonders for aiding MM gamers, whether it be broad-range sites like GFaqs, or more specialized sites like the Mega Man Home Page (mmhp.net, where I snagged these pics), and so forth. Everyone has to start out some where...and I think this modern age just makes it easier, since you can just as easily look up the info on the web. Those of us who started back in the day (1986!) had to often rely on trading hints on the schoolyard and "guess and testing"! :D

yudaan said:
It's tough love, but get Megaman Zero 3 and hope for the best. You don't really need to play perfectly (with 100 points in the end) but it'll break you in quite nicely. By the time you're done and can play Zero3 easily, playing the X games should be a breeze. Just make sure you don't get pissed off from spending an hour beating a 5 minute stage. :p

Zero 3 is the 'easiest' but get them all. They're all worth playing.

Not to mention, apparently, once you get ZX, you and plug in the Zero 3(and 4) carts for bonuses, as stated here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108896

thetrin

kiryogi said:
Sorry about the attack really. It's just that you guys have it, I don't . I post all these wonderful articles/media in the last few months and its all D: In any case, this is probably the first traditional Rockman to feature form changes. It opens up a whole new world of action platforming with the variety it offers. .EXE did actually do form changes first, but that's not traditional Rockman now is it?

Meh, no problem. Just remember this: no one cares about you. :D

No no, I`m kidding. Thanks for the media and stuff, but keep in mind that many people surf GAF at work, so they have images turned off. A lot of the info you posted passed by many of us.

agent069

Banned
Frankly megaman zero games aren't that hard, don't masturbate yourself like you're a true gamer of afraid the children with these games. They are pretty addaptive to your level, anybody can play and enjoy if they use elf like a bitch and doesn't look for the rank.

Of course if you want to get a S rank at every ****in' level, it become really interesting and pretty hardcore, but these game are never unfair or too hard, everything is damn possible, you only lose because you're not fast enough or because you don't know your ennemies. But to trully enjoy megaman you've got to be pretty a little sadomasochist, you lose a lot but they are pretty fast and short, so it's really not a pain to retry a level.

Anyway Zero 4 is pretty noob friendly, every level can be played in two different weather (an easy one and a hard one), ZX also features an easy mode, but I haven't played it yet so I can't say much.

Zen

Banned
While I'm pretty sure that ZX is going to be great, I am a little dissapointed of how derivative ZX and ZN are of Rockman Zero and Rockman Battle Network.

At the time when Zero game out, the X series was doing horribly, so a quality 2D Megaman game was very much a novelty, and the way it approached the tradtional Rockman gameplay with a flair for RPG elements and allowing dual use of the saber and buster while dramatically increasing the characters moveset really helped to make the Zero series 'new'. Likewise Battle Network was a great breath of fresh air and used a combat system that had never before been seen, while being a true sort of RPG.

I am interested in ZX, but a the same time I think it would have been nice if they had again reinvented the wheel so to speak, instead of just making it such an obvious continuation of Zero.

thetrin

Zen said:
While I'm pretty sure that ZX is going to be great, I am a little dissapointed of how derivative ZX and ZN are of Rockman Zero and Rockman Battle Network.

At the time when Zero game out, the X series was doing horribly, so a quality 2D Megaman game was very much a novelty, and the way it approached the tradtional Rockman gameplay with a flair for RPG elements and allowing dual use of the saber and buster while dramatically increasing the characters moveset really helped to make the Zero series 'new'. Likewise Battle Network was a great breath of fresh air and used a combat system that had never before been seen, while being a true sort of RPG.

I am interested in ZX, but a the same time I think it would have been nice if they had again reinvented the wheel so to speak, instead of just making it such an obvious continuation of Zero.

ZX is really not all that derivative, now that I really scrutinize. In all honesty, ZX feels much more fleshed out.

2c62344c1762d77f9e3b09dd0953.jpg

Is that the general from the end of Dodonpachi arcade?

agent069

Banned
The general is proud that you recognizied him solider! Keep up the good works and post more impression as you play ZX :lol

Lee N

Membre
What happened to that DVD you were supposed to get when you preordered the game? Everyone has given us impressions of the game, but not a single word about that DVD.

Is everyone playing a downloaded copy of the game?

kiryogi

Banned
A_Lee_N said:
What happened to that DVD you were supposed to get when you preordered the game? Everyone has given us impressions of the game, but not a single word about that DVD.

Nothing special about it except for the ZN teaser trailer unfortunately.

thetrin

A_Lee_N said:

Uh yea, I actually haven`t opened my copy of the DVD yet. It`s just sitting on my couch. No point doing it now, though. Everyone has already talked about it.

duckroll

Zen said:

But I think that's where the misunderstanding comes from. Rockman ZX is in every way a continuation of Zero. It's not supposed to be a reinvention. They pushed the timeline further and changed the name because it was on a new system and it would probably attract more fans if it wasn't Zero 5.

It's exactly the same with ZN. It would be Rockman Battle Network 7 or whatever if it was on the GBA, but it's on the DS. So new title. That's all.

agent069

Banned
I think it's a clever strategy to attract a new audience while keeping the fans. For the fans we have the same gameplay with great enhancements, et newbies aren't affraid by the big number in the title. With 8 Megaman, 8 Megaman X et 4 Megaman Zero, ZX chould have been named Rockamn 20 :lol

New engine, new gameplay, new design, and Capcom will deliver us a new Rockman every ****ing year until the DS die or until the game stops to sell. They say to fans that it happen 100 year in the future so the fans can masturbate with psychedelic scenarios and chronologies of events, but the true GAMERS knows that Megaman is all about gameplay! :lol

Lee N

Membre
kiryogi said:
Nothing special about it except for the ZN teaser trailer unfortunately.
So the talk about superplays on the DVD was just make-believe? I thought it sounded suspicious to release a DVD with superplays along with the game already when we first heard about the dvd.

Some teaser is a pretty shitty preorder bonus imo.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
A_Lee_N said:
So the talk about superplays on the DVD was just make-believe? I thought it sounded suspicious to release a DVD with superplays along with the game already when we first heard about the dvd.

Some teaser is a pretty shitty preorder bonus imo.

Thank god for YouTube then.

RaidenZR

Zen said:

This is what bothers me. No one credits the nuance of game mechanics, intelligent level design, and gameplay systems anymore. If these gems were reviewed with such criteria placed where it belongs instead of more flashy, PR-beloved features then we'd see less reviews and unfounded opinions that say "Oh, hum... another Mega Man..." and more like "Jesus, did I just have a boss battle like that?" [-- see Hyleg Ourobockle's stage from Mega Man Zero 2] And instead we also get the assumption that it's just "old-school: because it's challenging. I despise that word now because it's this blanket statement applied to any game that is semi-2D, has a less hand-holded approach, or just has tendencies to harken back to something pre-PSone. Maybe the designers approached creation of this series with their philosophies and intentions different than the "save anywhere, anytime" mentality that can dillute certain experiences. How about not assuming all games need to follow all the current trends and in this instance chalk something up to building skill. What Call of Duty needs, perhaps Mega Man Zero does not.

My intention with such comments is not to come off like some retro snob, but to maybe get people to think a little more open-minded about these. I feel that even in an intro stage the Mega Man Zero games can have you doing more precise platforming and decision-making than most studios' portfolio of the last generation.

TreIII

Preach on, brutha RaidenZR! :lol

But seriously, I feel ya. It irks me to no end how the likes of EGM, Gamepro, and (God help me) "XPlay", continually rip on a new Rockman title, primarily because it's a new Rockman title, without paying any sort of heed to the notable things that adds to the gameplay experience.

I mean, how is it that the likes of Madden and other EA franchises can get away with mostly the same types of "crimes" that supposedly the Blue Bomber "so grieviously" commits, and yet they still pull in great ratings every year, instead of being branded as "yet another Madden/EA Sports release"?

The sheer hypocrisy of the game reviewing "industry" is what has made me lose pretty much all respect for it over the years...

Top Bottom