• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockman ZX comes to Japan early (and we give our impressions)

lyre

And this is why I don't bother with reviews (never did anyway) and just play the damn game. Give me 8 new bosses, 10+ levels and a Wily or Wily related boss in the end and I'm good.

Himuro: I just realised you're one of those DDS >> SMT3: Nocturne guys (not an insult or anything if there is any) so maybe having you start out with the X series would be better for you. The Zero games, like Nocturne, can be 'kick your ass with your own legs' hard unless you come up with some sort of creative way to play (afterall, half of the powerups you get in Zero games require you to get an 'A' rank whereas X games give you powerups just for beating a boss). I personally jumped straight into Zero 2 after skipping out on all Megaman games since the original X (and bits and pieces, or rather minutes, of random X games in between) and once I got the hang of it, it became my favourite game series (but only on the stock GBA). Though something like that may not be for you.

And finally, good words guys. Can't wait for ZX.

agent069

Banned
Maybe we are just a bunch of Megaman Fanboy with no objectivity, but I'm really surprise by the lack of love of the Megaman games, especially the über awesome Megaman Zero, they're just so good.

But I don't really care, they don't know what trey're missing, as long as Capcom continues to produce those awesome games, I'll be happy, I wishes they would made on hell of a 2D Megaman on 360 ou PS3 in a sexy HD, with huge sprites and awesome animation like Street Fighter 3.

lyre

You didn't say to make it '2 pioint 5 - D' or some worthless thing like that. /me high fives.

Sprites forever

Mrbob

sp0rsk said:
Do you like castlevania? do you like rockman games?

Then rockman ZX is for you!

What do you mean by Castlevania? Is this new Megaman game free roaming like the Metroidvania games?

Zeed

Banned
Mrbob said:
What do you mean by Castlevania? Is this new Megaman game free roaming like the Metroidvania games?
He would've asked if we like Metroid if that were the case.

I suspect it might have something to do with the weapons or maybe form changes.

agent069

Banned
I hope he didn't mean awkward jump physics, stuppid leveling, et boring ennemies.

Maybe was he praising the sexy 2D of Castlevania :D

TreIII

Actually, whoever was that kat who basically bought up the comparison of "Demon's Crest" + "Mega Man Zero" is possibly the most on-point.

There's a good deal of free-roaming to be had, as well as searching for probable goodies, but none of that whack level-grinding and such that modern CV games have a bit of an issue with now-a-days.

Jiggy

TreIII said:
Actually, whoever was that kat who basically bought up the comparison of "Demon's Crest" + "Mega Man Zero" is possibly the most on-point.
That makes me want this game even sooner. Demon's Crest rocked.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
TreIII said:

There's a good deal of free-roaming to be had, as well as searching for probable goodies, but none of that whack level-grinding and such that modern CV games have a bit of an issue with now-a-days.

I don't think I've ever had to grind in CV, except for maybe just before Death in Harmony. That was it.

I just got the LX, the ice live metal, and its pretty shitty. Your weapon is a staff, no range weapon, and no air dash, like Hx. Hopefully the next power will be cool. :p

lyre

If you only have two of the 4 Guardians so far, then it's either Phantom (probably invincibilitiy) or Fefnir the Fighter (giant guns). I think you already have the coolest one
except for the 8th metal, heh

TreIII said:
I could be misremembering, but I thought the Z games had weapons that leveled up as you used them...

lyre

Only Zero 1 and 2 did that. Zero 3 and 4 automically gave you completely powered up basic weapon attacks. Though you can still improve Zero's abilities with cyber-elves, zero forms, etc. There is absolutely no exp. to be found in the Zero series (the way it should be).

TreIII

TheTrin said:
I just got the LX, the ice live metal, and its pretty shitty. Your weapon is a staff, no range weapon, and no air dash, like Hx. Hopefully the next power will be cool. :p

Well, the primary reason why you won't get but so much mileage outta LX is because it's a Model that you should be utilizing primarily underwater, just like Leviathan back in the Zero series. Underwater, the LX is in its element, as you'll be able to actually swim around, find interesting treasures, and summon those nifty (and yet also quite annoying to fight against) "ice dragon" projectiles under water.

Out of the water...and well, the LX has all of the finesse of a beached whale, as should be expected. :lol Though I still like using LX's Halberd, as it reminds me a bit of the Triple Rod from Zero 1. ^_^

Any way, I have to say that FX is my fave LM, and the one that I've more or less came running to for support after
you lose Model X functionality for good upon obtaining Model ZX following Girouette's apparent demise.
It still hurts, but FX has been keeping me warm thanks to its powerful attacks from Sodom and Gomorrha (the names of Fafnir's two guns), as well as those "Fire Geyser" attacks that you can use. And despite what I thought initially, the "Buster Edit" attack is actually turning out to be quite useful to me. It basically allows you to shoot out the pellet shots in any fashion you want by using the touch screen to "draw the path" for the bullets to follows. It's a practical godsend for those of us who also love to be able to angle our shots, almost in a sort of Contra/Metal Slug fashion! :D

Zeed

Banned
agent069 said:
TreIII said:
It still hurts, but FX has been keeping me warm thanks to its powerful attacks from Sodomy and Gonorrhea (the names of Fafnir's two guns), as well as those "Cum Geyser" attacks that you can use.
what?
Fixed. If you're going to edit a quote to include sexual innuendo, at least be thorough about it.

Bebpo

Banned
This game is shit hot!!!!!!!

OMG

Between this IHX, and Rockman/Rockman, Capcom has given gamers the more awesome rockman-ness than they can even handle in the last six months!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Bebpo said:
This game is shit hot!!!!!!!

OMG

Between this IHX, and Rockman/Rockman, Capcom has given gamers the more awesome rockman-ness than they can even handle in the last six months!

This is the way Rockman should be. The king is back.

thetrin

Btw, did anyone notice that the katakana for the game says "Rockman Zex" and not "Zee Ex"?

TreIII

TheTrin said:
Btw, did anyone notice that the katakana for the game says "Rockman Zex" and not "Zee Ex"?

Well, if you wanted to be all "in-depth" about it, it's "zekusu". It's a running gag that the ZX name in itself is a play on words, besides the notion of how there is ZX form in the game. In essence, "zekusu" is close to "sechs/zechs", which (if I remember correctly) is the German term for the number "6". And what is Rockman ZX? Why, the <b>6TH</b> Rockman series to grace the scene, by jove! :lol

But any way, I think it's just another quirky thing to consider when it comes to the Japanese and their naming conventions for various things...

thetrin

TreIII said:
Well, if you wanted to be all "in-depth" about it, it's "zekusu".

Which I didn`t. No point breaking it down to its base sounds when it doesn`t factor into the meaning at all.

TreIII said:
It's a running gag that the ZX name in itself is a play on words, besides the notion of how there is ZX form in the game. In essence, "zekusu" is close to "sechs/zechs", which (if I remember correctly) is the German term for the number "6". And what is Rockman ZX? Why, the <b>6TH</b> Rockman series to grace the scene, by jove! :lol

But any way, I think it's just another quirky thing to consider when it comes to the Japanese and their naming conventions for various things...

More evidence that the japanese are inexplicably obsessed with the german language.

thetrin

Zyid said:
Yes, but while your edit contains two sexual references, mine contains three. I am clearly the greater pervert.

And "Cum Geyser" makes a lot more sense than "Fire Gaysor", which doesn't at all.

What about Cum Gaysor?

thetrin

PuertoRicanJuice said:
Gay Cumsor?

On a serious note, I didn't read this thread really...this is another new Mega Man series right?

Yep, good ol` side scrolling rockman.

Btw, I just got Fx, and it is the coolest ability EVER. The touch screen is used for `buster edit.` Basically, you edit what direction your bullets go in. You have a grid, and each time you add a direction to your shot, it uses one point (currently, I only have 3 points for each arm). If you don`t use any points, that arm turns into a ramming attack.

I`m trying to use my left arm for shots that curve up, and my right arm for shots that graze the ground. Should be interesting to see if it works.

On another note, I noticed that if you get a big energy powerup, and you don`t want it, you can slash it with a sword, and it breaks up into random different powerups. I`ve been using it to get health for my E tank. So far its helped a lot.

Also, I just ruined the Fx boss with the most brutal attacks I could think up. I turned on Hx`s super power on, and stood in front of him relentlessly slashing. I got a gimped Fx, but I had the EC to power it up, so no problem.

TreIII

TheTrin said:
Btw, I just got Fx, and it is the coolest ability EVER.

Gooood...now you TOO realize the power of the FX, my personal fave Model config in the game...:D

The touch screen is used for `buster edit.` Basically, you edit what direction your bullets go in. You have a grid, and each time you add a direction to your shot, it uses one point (currently, I only have 3 points for each arm). If you don`t use any points, that arm turns into a ramming attack.

Ah, yeah, I forgot to mention about the ramming blow. It's not the MOST efficient close range attack, but it comes in handy during a clinch/when you need to bust through walls and don't want to spend energy doing so.

I`m trying to use my left arm for shots that curve up, and my right arm for shots that graze the ground. Should be interesting to see if it works.

Hmm, that's a pretty interesting config there. Me? I basically stuck with what I believe would be a God-send for games like Metal Slug...one set of shots that go straight forward, the other goes at a perfect diagonal (be it up or downward). So far, I haven't seen much reason to alter it from these two configurations to get through a level, but I'll definitely be open to other useful configs if you or any one else has 'em...

On another note, I noticed that if you get a big energy powerup, and you don`t want it, you can slash it with a sword, and it breaks up into random different powerups. I`ve been using it to get health for my E tank. So far its helped a lot.

Really? How interesting...one thing's for certain, things are like these are the pure indicators that show that Inti's definitely gone over the top as far as "engine tweaks" go, and I, for one, couldn't be happier. :D

Also, I just ruined the Fx boss with the most brutal attacks I could think up. I turned on Hx`s super power on, and stood in front of him relentlessly slashing. I got a gimped Fx, but I had the EC to power it up, so no problem.

Heh heh, good show! In my case, the Model F went down with the power of PX, and cheaply using its invisibility/invulnerability features of that Model to make it so that the poor schmuck couldn't even hit me half of the time as just kept lodging Shurikens and Kunai up his ass! :lol OverDrives are truly a thing of beauty...after using them relentlessly when I needed them, one wonders how we played Rockman games without their presence... :D

nubbe

The ending in Zero 2 made me so sad and gave me some generic anime rage which made be beat the last boss without taking any damage.

ZX will be awesome.

lyre

nubbe said:
The ending in Zero 2 made me so sad and gave me some generic anime rage which made be beat the last boss without taking any damage.

ZX will be awesome.

The only way to play. What was your overall score? Orange or Black Zero? :p

thetrin

Alright, I have Hx, Fx, and Lx. Any recommendations on where I should go next? Possibly a boss that will follow easily to my cheap, brutal and incessant slashing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Can't wait to play it. My copy is waiting for me, but I have to go pick it up.

How's the music this time around?

dark10x said:
Can't wait to play it. My copy is waiting for me, but I have to go pick it up.

How's the music this time around?

Pretty good IMO.

But then again, I thought a game like Zero 2 had an awesome soundtrack. :lol

I can safely say it's not bad by any means. There's anime and lots of voice too, which is surprising actually.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
TheTrin said:
Alright, I have Hx, Fx, and Lx. Any recommendations on where I should go next? Possibly a boss that will follow easily to my cheap, brutal and incessant slashing.
You need Px. I heard he's as awesome as X. :D

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I have a question. Is the grading system from the Zero games back, and if so, do you need high ranks to get new skills and whatnot? I don't mind the grading system being an ego booster (or ego destroyer), but one thing that annoyed me was that you needed an A or S rank in Zero 3 just to get an EX skill.

agent069

Banned
I'd be pretty sad if they retire the grade system, even if it's useless like in Zero 1 :(

By the way, is there any difference between Vent and Aile in term of gameplay?

kiryogi

Banned
The grade system has basically been reduced to the technical finish system. Your score is based on how well you fought the boss without damaging the live metal.

kiryogi

Banned
Oh lord, I've been playing for hours in that regard. It's amazing how much voice there is! Well no surprise really. The rom from what I saw out there was around 64 megs. I finally got HX :D It is really crazy nice. Also managed a lv4 finish on harubolto, tho it was pretty easy anyway. But there seems to be a really sweet discovery on gamefaqs... Apparently the US Zero games will work for the Wslot-in bonuses! Hrm, so how do you use OIS (Overdrive Invoke System) XD

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How much voice is really in the game? I've only put in about 30 minutes and the entire thing has been voiced thus far. Does it retain that throughout?

Really fun game, though. I missed out on the more recent RMZ games, so this still feels fairly fresh to me.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
kiryogi said:
The grade system has basically been reduced to the technical finish system. Your score is based on how well you fought the boss without damaging the live metal.
Thanks. Sounds like it's going to be an awesome game.

thetrin

Just got Px. Reading the Rockmanpm.com boards, they seem to love the design of Px, but I suspect solely because its a Ninja. Px is probably the worst looking suit among the lot. You have a skin tight purple leotard, a white mask that makes you look straight out of a drag club masquerade, and the proportions of a japanese elementary school girl ( or boy for that matter). It's one of the worst Rockman designs I've seen to date. It's a shame too, because the actual abilities (throwing kunai) are sooo well implemented.

Aesthetically, Hx is the best looking. Even Fx looks like Awesome Possum in Rocketknight Adventures.

agent069

Banned
Can PX do a shadow dash like in Zero 3 ?

I don't remember if it's the good name, but there was a leg part that allowed you to dash trough ennemies and bullet without taking damage, I really loved that ability.

The ranking system seems pretty good, it's the bosses that are the heart of the gameplay, and it will certainly prevent me for majking ennemies appearing just to get a S rank :lol

Top Bottom