• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockman ZX comes to Japan early (and we give our impressions)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Buggy Loop said:
Any screens of the PX design?
Model_PX.jpg

FX is my favorite looking.

Model_FX.jpg

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
People on GameFAQs are saying that MegaMan Zero 3/4 (the English ones) work with Rockman ZX to give the bonus boss battles as well...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jgkspsx said:
Wait wait wait, this is Metroidvaniaesque, with MM action? FFS, I'm buying a Mega Man game?

Bingo.

kiryogi

Banned
Skilotonn said:
People on GameFAQs are saying that MegaMan Zero 3/4 (the English ones) work with Rockman ZX to give the bonus boss battles as well...

I just said that earlier! In any case, did anyone find the sprite changer for their char yet? I just had my Aile changed to more of a teal color now. Man this game is just of neat little goodies :D

keanerie

TheTrin said:
Which I didn`t. No point breaking it down to its base sounds when it doesn`t factor into the meaning at all.

More evidence that the japanese are inexplicably obsessed with the german language.

I think there is a historical explanation for this tendency. Shortly after Japan fully opened up to the West they invited German military officials to sort of show them the ropes of the "modern" world. Japan had also always been open to the Dutch for sometime before. Maybe some of these influences have seeped into the cultural consciousness - someone correct me if i'm crazy or wrong.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
keanerie said:
I think there is a historical explanation for this tendency. Shortly after Japan fully opened up to the West they invited German military officials to sort of show them the ropes of the "modern" world. Japan had also always been open to the Dutch for sometime before. Maybe some of these influences have seeped into the cultural consciousness - someone correct me if i'm crazy or wrong.

As far as I can remember, that seems fairly correct. I don't mind the influence. I love german as a language.

Zeed

Banned
keanerie said:
Maybe it's because they were both Axis buddies.

kiryogi

Banned
Kroole said:
Do you have to have know some japanese to get everything (gameplay wise) from the game or would you manage with just looking up a few things on gamefaqs or something?

It's a bit mission based and with the metroid structure it wouldn't hurt to know some light japanese. But if you really need it gamefaqs is always there.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
god september can't come soon enough. i'm seriously considering importing but i don't know if i want to spend the extra 15 dollars and i wouldn't be able to understand anything. :(

Zeed

Banned
The End said:
EB/GS have MMZ3 & 4 for $17.99 used.
I found MMZ3 at a Gamestop today, now all I need is MMZ4.

You do need both 3 and 4 to unlock the special Live Metal in MMZX right?

agent069

Banned
I think that you just need 3 to battle with the boss of Zero 3, and for 4 for the Zero 4 bosses.

But it would be a shame to not play Zero 4, why haven't you bought it earlier you moron! :lol

Zeed

Banned
agent069 said:
I think that you just need 3 to battle with the boss of Zero 3, and for 4 for the Zero 4 bosses.
But word has it that you can unlock a special Live Metal using the connectivity. I'm trying to figure out if I need 3 and 4 for that.

kiryogi

Banned
You can get the special live metal without them. But now knowing you can use the english Zero 3/4. Why not fight them? BE A MAN. And man, I'm playing ZX right now hooked up to my speakers. SO ****ING SWEET. I really love all the details in the game. You got things like the railing making different sounds as you run about, or humans refusing to talk to you while you're in ROCK-on form. Also, if youre human the mechanaloids won't attack you until you transform.

Dark10x: I think its amazing with the voice detail that they even give each mission objective a fully narrative explaining it! :D

edit: Also on LX, her Halberd is actually pretty damn powerful in terms of damage. Good range too.

kiryogi

Banned
FREEDOM! finally unbanned! How's everyone's ZX progress? I've been going at it for the last 2 days with it hooked up to my charger and surround system. So much goodness! My clocks currently around 17 hours. I'd estimate with subquests ZX takes around 20 hours. Then again I have reports of 30 hours. Realistically without messing around I'd say it takes probably 7-10 hours.

I must say though.. Going for LV4 technical finish is a real blast and can really draw out the battles. Imagine just going at it waiting for a good shot. Some of the weakpoints are really hard to not hit. Also the little details in this game are just awesome! If you're using Aile, you can actually change your human sprite color. Another neat bit is that if you guys recall Prairie's room, she'll hang models of the bosses you've beaten with a LV4 in her room.

There's also good news for you X lovers! You can eventually have it where you can use Model X for the entire game. As you can see with recent media and Capcom's site, you'll normally be stuck with ZX after a certain point. But if you clear the game with both Vent/Aile, the 3rd playthrough will have X available :D The hard mode for the game sounds like a total blast too! No subtanks/lifeups, you recieve x1.5 damage, and youll really want to do level 4's because livemetals cost a fortune to upgrade. (LV3-4 repair is 10k EC!) Not to mention that bosses are much faster and their timing for their attacks are different. I can also confirm that US carts of Z3/4 definitely work with ZX JPN. They added a new line or two when you face them :D

Another mention, someone's ripped the soundtrack for ZX. It's got quite a bit of variety and a good departure from both X/Z style music. Give it a listen from Rockman Perfect Memories! ( http://rockmanpm.com/ )

Finally to you LX haters, her jump slash is the most powerful of'em all (Minus OX possibly) I mention this since in the Zero series, my melee tactics are quite often reliant on dash slashing and jump slashing.

Zeed

Banned
kiryogi said:
You can get the special live metal without them. But now knowing you can use the english Zero 3/4. Why not fight them? BE A MAN.
I'm actually waiting on the english verson, being one of the few people that actually cares about Megaman storylines. I want to absorb it in its entirety.

kiryogi said:
Another mention, someone's ripped the soundtrack for ZX. It's got quite a bit of variety and a good departure from both X/Z style music. Give it a listen from Rockman Perfect Memories! ( http://rockmanpm.com/ )
If I'm not mistaken, you might want to clear that with a mod before posting it.

Zeed

Banned
jj984jj said:
Why? Galbadia Hotel was posted lots of times.
I just recalled a mod, I think BuddyC, mentioning that the posting of the Ouendan soundtrack was "iffy" or something. Better safe than sorry, you know?

kiryogi

Banned
Also some fun bits.. the Rockman world slowly moving back towards Dash unfortunately...

Taken from RPM

-Humans/Reploid hybrids now die by dissipating into a bright light and becoming a cyber-elf. Which, minus the elf, is how the Master died.
-As with MMZ, plenty of "Reaver-eye" appearances.
-Mechaniloids in the Inner area appear to be operating on basic instinct. They do nothing when you are human and attack only when you are actively using a Live Metal.
-Classic-series MegaMan is apparantly becoming a passtime of children (as Classic and X are in Legends). There are two kids who have Battle & Chase cars.
-
Serpent speaks of executing "Project Heaven", for those not knowing what a big deal it is, it's the terminology that japanese Dash used for Elysium.

Also on the OST, this is actually a bit of a grey area. When Inticreates releases the ZX ost, it'll probably be a nice arranged version like the past Zero OST releases.

Tips for the folks playing:

Healing items

Apple - The tree at the dead end in Area A-3, hit it with FX's charged shot.
Candy - The crane machine game in Area H
Bread - Alicia in C-1 will give this to you
Tangerine - One of the workers inside a yellow door in Area C-2 will give it to you
E-can - The Guardian member in the engine room of the ship will sell it to you for 200 EC
W-can - Hit the witch elf doll hanging in Prairies room and it'll eventually pop out

ZX is not a Metroidvania, is true that the game give the player more freedom to move, but in the same way that Rockman Zero did. Metroidvania games haves more freedom to move and the design of the world/castle/level is totally different.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So is this a straight Megaman action game, or does it also include those god-awful cyber-elves?

kiryogi

Banned
It's all about the Models! Elves are only around plotwise. Honestly, it's one of the finest Rockman titles in aloong time. My clock time is around 20 hours now with all subquests cleared and all lifeup/subtanks. That final subtank was an extreme pain to get I must note. I'm just rounding about things with the search for the data disks. Then I can finally go towards the finally and have my rebouts with the Z3/Z4 bosses :D

And I don't know about the whole freedom thing. It's all pretty much accessible once you access the card keys or have the proper models. It pretty much succeeded at where Zero1 failed in trying to move towards this direction. Everything is interconnected!

thetrin

It's been a while since I posted, as I've been busy watching the second season of Lost (finally ><). I finished Rockman ZX over the weekend, and it was fantastic. I'm totally weaksauce at Rockman games, so I probably won't attempt the game on hard. I found normal pushing my skills to the limit as it is. :p

The game is fantastic, though. I've always been a huge Rockman fan, and ZX really does deliver. The last section of the game is pretty nutty. You have to fight 10 bosses in a row without any chance to save. It was pretty frustrating when I died on the very last boss the first time I tried it, but it was definitely quite exhilerating when I finally beat the game, given the steep difficulty.

I started a new game on Easy just to check some of the differences. For one, bosses are HIGHLY modified. Timing for moves is different, moves themselves are different, and the amount of damage you take from attacks is also greatly reduced. I think my only complaint is that the difference between easy and normal is TOO high. Normal is ass hard, but easy is WAY WAY WAY too easy. I wish there was a middle ground, for those that decide to try the game, but don't have the requisite skills to go through normal mode.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
im saddened that the superplay video is not actually a superplay at all, its just a bunch of clips FROM a superplay.

also throw up a movie on how to beat the fire guy :mad:

ant1532

Banned
TheTrin said:
It's been a while since I posted, as I've been busy watching the second season of Lost (finally ><). I finished Rockman ZX over the weekend, and it was fantastic. I'm totally weaksauce at Rockman games, so I probably won't attempt the game on hard. I found normal pushing my skills to the limit as it is. :p

The game is fantastic, though. I've always been a huge Rockman fan, and ZX really does deliver. The last section of the game is pretty nutty. You have to fight 10 bosses in a row without any chance to save. It was pretty frustrating when I died on the very last boss the first time I tried it, but it was definitely quite exhilerating when I finally beat the game, given the steep difficulty.

I started a new game on Easy just to check some of the differences. For one, bosses are HIGHLY modified. Timing for moves is different, moves themselves are different, and the amount of damage you take from attacks is also greatly reduced. I think my only complaint is that the difference between easy and normal is TOO high. Normal is ass hard, but easy is WAY WAY WAY too easy. I wish there was a middle ground, for those that decide to try the game, but don't have the requisite skills to go through normal mode.
nice, sounds like it's going to deliver. can't wait.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
is it as hard as the Zero games?

I bought 3 and 4 currently playing 3 think I'm almost done with it and while I don't get the best grades (D, C mainly :( ) the game is not hard but it's really awesome I really like it, too bad I caught up with the series a little late.

kiryogi

Banned
sp0rsk said:
im saddened that the superplay video is not actually a superplay at all, its just a bunch of clips FROM a superplay.

Are you talking about Fistleo?

Error: I wouldn't say so on normal mode. But if you choose to take on bosses for a lv4 finish, that's where the real fun is. Hard mode from what I've seen is the typical zero series hard :D

thetrin

sp0rsk said:

sp0rsk, if you have Hx, and you're not too concerned about lvl 4 finish, here is my advice: turn on OIS (A button), and continue to bash away at him with slashes (trying using the 3 slash combo for a ton of damage). With OIS, the slashes will stun him, opening him up for further attack. if he jumps out of it, make sure to stay at the sides, and in the air. If he knocks the two blocks down, stay at the sides. Staying in the middle is a very bad idea. Once the blocks are gone, and he begins charging again, dash in, and hit him with OIS again. I've heard that hitting him in his weak spot (his head) is actually LESS effective than hitting him anywhere else (kind of defeats the purpose of a weak spot, huh?), so try hitting him in the back.

If you are really having a hard time with him, make sure to pick up the sub tank in area I, and the other sub tank in A-2. These two should tip the scales in your favor.

kiryogi

Banned
TheTrin said:
sp0rsk, if you have Hx, and you're not too concerned about lvl 4 finish, here is my advice: turn on OIS (A button), and continue to bash away at him with slashes (trying using the 3 slash combo for a ton of damage). With OIS, the slashes will stun him, opening him up for further attack. if he jumps out of it, make sure to stay at the sides, and in the air. If he knocks the two blocks down, stay at the sides. Staying in the middle is a very bad idea. Once the blocks are gone, and he begins charging again, dash in, and hit him with OIS again. I've heard that hitting him in his weak spot (his head) is actually LESS effective than hitting him anywhere else (kind of defeats the purpose of a weak spot, huh?), so try hitting him in the back.

If you are really having a hard time with him, make sure to pick up the sub tank in area I, and the other sub tank in A-2. These two should tip the scales in your favor.

Actually being in the middle isnt bad at all. If you can time it right, just air dash up when hes about to dash across the screen. Of course at the time when I first fought him I didn't even know that I could do that so I was wondering htf was I supposed to avoid this. Anywho, in my recent rematch with him while doing some subquests, OIS with HX's 3hit double saber combo is extremely effective if you could careless about getting LV4.

Error

HOLY **** the OST is awesome.

can't wait till september for this shit, how import friendly is this game? I don't care about the story at all I just want to shoot shit and **** things up Megaman Style.

kiryogi

Banned
Error2k4 said:
HOLY **** the OST is awesome.

can't wait till september for this shit, how import friendly is this game? I don't care about the story at all I just want to shoot shit and **** things up Megaman Style.

It's really not that bad IMO. But knowing even the lightest bit of japanese will take you a long time. I'm also around if you need help. You've been playing DQ3 in japanese haven't you? Should be cake. It's also rather odd how the game is mostly in hiragana, when past Zero games featured a good bit of Kanji. They spell out koori,kaze,hono,kage, they don't even use the kanji for watashi! o-o.

Error

awesome, thanks yoh.

yeah I play through dq3 but that was with a lot of help but I managed it was cool, I don't think ZX is a text based as dq3 was so hopefully I can play through it just fine.

Wow, this sounds awesome ... I haven't touched megaman since the first megaman x, but from everyone's posts i really want to play this :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ya, I'm playing Mega Man Zero on DS Lite right now to get myself hyped...gonna try to go through all 4 of em before ZX comes out. Last Mega Man game I played before this was probably Mega Man X (not including the PSP remakes)

Top Bottom