• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: Book of Eli (GAF meltdown incoming?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodsy said:
$31M this weekend, second behind avatar. You get 1/2 that, right Gary? :lol

I hope you have a good contract on this!
We actually beat the $31m Sunday projection, the film dropped less than expected due to positive word of mouth. Final number for Fri-Sun should be closer to $32.7m which makes us the third-biggest January opening of all time (behind Cloverfield and Star Wars re-release) and the best ever for an R-rated movie.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Great movie deserves great word of mouth, I say.

Gary Whitta said:
We actually beat the $31m Sunday projection, the film dropped less than expected due to positive word of mouth. Final number for Fri-Sun should be closer to $32.7m which makes us the third-biggest January opening of all time (behind Cloverfield and Star Wars re-release) and the best ever for an R-rated movie.
Best ever for an R rated movie or best ever for an R rated movie in January?

Gary Whitta said:

Gary tell us how the weight felt as it left your shoulders as the box office take was coming in. :lol :lol

bjork

I have a question for Gary, as I assume he's in the know:

Is there any merchandise planned for this beyond the poster and soundtrack I see available currently? Like say, an action figure of Eli?

gdt

bjork said:

Is there any merchandise planned for this beyond the poster and soundtrack I see available currently? Like say, an action figure of Eli?

Eli prequel comic written by Gary Whitta confirmed.

GhaleonEB

Gary Whitta said:
This must be one hell of a ride for you Gary. :D

That $38m four-day estimate is simply tremendous, especially for an R-rated picture. I was hoping the box office would expand to accommodate both Eli and Avatar, and am glad to see it did.

Flynn

DarkGiygas said:
Really enjoyed the movie, and definitely got a Fallout vibe like others in this thread have mentioned. Denzel has his Melee Weapons skill at 100!

And the "Bat Ears" and "Hound Dog" perks.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I hate to rain on Gary's parade but I wrote Alvin & The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel... so unless Eli breaks $200 mil domestically I am still the best writer on GAF.

Anerythristic said:
Gary tell us how the weight felt as it left your shoulders as the box office take was coming in. :lol :lol
I was so nervous this week I had almost no appetite at all and barely ate. Woke up on Sunday, saw the numbers on my email, realized my stomach was grumbling and went and demolished a massive pancake breakfast. Feels good man :lol

Veidt

CinemaBlend said:
The next runner up is the Qur’an, which has only 800 million copies in circulation, yet it survives Book of Eli’s holocaust with no problem.

Eli attempts to compensate for that math with the ridiculous claim that during the apocalypse everyone went a little crazy and, while they were burning to death, going blind, and hiding in caves; stopped to torch every bible on planet Earth while blaming it for civilization’s downfall.

This is not a well established review I must say.
Those two books are not the same in preservation methods. Literally millions of Muslims memorize the Qur'an by heart at a young age. And can recite it back to you ( exactly like Eli did in this film) fully.
The same cannot be said for the bible.

Point Number 2;
The people burned the religious books because they blamed religion for whatever happened in the world before. Not as a secondary thing they just happened to be doing.

Gary is one step ahead of these fools.

Seth C

Congrats, Gary! Your film has now received its first cam pirate release. You've definitely hit the big time now.

Jibril said:
This is not a well established review I must say. Those two books are not the same in preservation methods. Literally millions of Muslims memorize the Qur'an by heart at a young age. And can recite it back to you ( exactly like Eli did in this film) fully.
The same cannot be said for the bible.

Point Number 2; The people burned the religious books because they blamed religion for whatever happened in the world before. Not as a secondary thing they just happened to be doing.

Gary is one step ahead of these fools.
That reviewer also
blew the film's major twist
in his review, what a douche.

Dolla Dolla said:
Hey Gary. Saw the film over the weekend and I have a few comments / questions / observations.

At the end of the movie when the camera zooms into Eli's eyes, they appear to be glazed over. This may have been discussed already, but I wanted to know which of these scenarios is likely: 1) He was blind the entire film due to the "Flash" or 2) He was blinded by the "Flash" but granted sight to complete his journey and deliver the word to the People who needed it?

Regardless of which it is, I thought it was great how his senses were heightened (hearing, smelling, etc) and how he touched things as a blind person would when he was searching.

Absolutely loved this film and looking forward to seeing it again soon!
Plissken said:
What Dolla Dolla posted is the reason why I had thought Eli was
blind before the flash, and had sight afterward. The long zoom into his eyes at the end, showing them glazed over, was what led me to think that he had sight during the events of the movie, and lost his sight once he had completed his mission.

I hadn't thought of that! So many possibilities.

What say you, Gary?

Veidt

Gary Whitta said:
That reviewer also blew the film's major twist in his review, what a douche.

Speaking of the twist. It's the "Sixth sense" twist I never had. Since that twist was blown for me before I even saw that film.

This twist requires me to engage in multiple viewings of this film.

Jibril said:
Speaking of the twist. It's the "Sixth sense" twist I never had. Since that twist was blown for me before I even saw that film.

This twist requires me to engage in multiple viewings of this film.
I've heard a lot of people say they need to go back and watch it again, hopefully that's good for repeat business :D

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Vast Inspiration said:
I find that its always the people screaming about plot-holes that are usually the dumbest

People with keen observational and analytical skills are usually the dumbest, yeah.

Vast Inspiration said:
And I haven't sen anyone mention this, but I found the movie played out very similar to The Road

You're a regular master of observation yourself, I see.

aparisi2274

Gary Whitta said:
That reviewer also blew the film's major twist in his review, what a douche.

Gary, speaking about the twist, and I apologize if you went over this in previous posts, but was
Eli 100% blind? or did he have limited sight?
I ask because there are a couple of scenes in the movie where
namely when he was walking on the highway and it came to and end, he knows to stop. Or when the outlaws hijack those people walking with the shopping cart, and he knows to crouch down behind some rubble, or even when he shot the arrow into the cat at the beginning.

I can understand if
he had some limited vision to see shapes and shadows, but if he was completely blind, did he build up his other senses over the course of the 31years he has been walking to become almost 'Daredevil' like?

I still enjoyed the movie a bunch, but just some of the stuff I mentioned above was bugging me...

Thanks!!!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Alright.

Just got back.

First of all, I liked it. I have some major problems with the movie, but on the whole I liked it.

My biggest complaint honestly is the fucking retarded product placements in this movie. In a world where books are a rare commodity, water is scarce and working electronics are even scarcer it seems that corporate branding has been harmed in no way whatsoever. Several of the product placements took me right out of the immersion in the movie. The KFC packets were one thing, the giant fucking Motorola logo on the bullhorn was too much.

Plot wise.. I am going to give the movie a pass on some stuff
I don't think it's very likely everyone would have forgotten about religion and books become that scare in just 20 something years. However, that is the premise of the film so I kind of let that one go. Chalk it up to a free pass to get an allegorical tale off the ground

I'm an atheist and found several of the more religious scenes in the movie pretty hamfisted. It backed down off of them towards the end
for half a second I thought Eli was going to be Jesus that arose from the dead and was found walking the wide of the road. Thank god it didn't go that route

The action scenes were fun for the most part. The movie had some major pacing issues.
the very end after the big reveal went on far too long. It just kept showing the badguy reacting to his world falling apart. That could have been done a lot quicker.. as it was it just drug on way too long.

In regards to the big twist.. I'm not sure how I feel. At the moment it happened I thought it was clever. It was set up with several hints.. but the more I think about it the cheaper it feels.
I'll have to watch it again to see how plausible it is that blind guy did half that shit. I'm not talking about the action scenes either.. I'm talking about his awareness about his surroundings and what was going on

I'll give it a 6.5/10.

Regarding the apocalypse leading to the film, I see everybody has a take on it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I had interpreted it to mean
high-altitude nukes were used that ended up putting a big hole in the atmosphere, and then some sort of solar flare was the blinding flash.

Is that on the right track, or was it simply just
meteors?
I guess it could have been
nukes doing everything, but there really doesn't seem to be any sort of radiation concerns in the movie despite walking by craters...

StoOgE

I took it to mean that
there was some sort of religious war that caused the problems. It was somewhat non-specific, but the people blamed religion on the destruction of the planet.

It seems to fit in with the general theme that religion isn't the problem. It's people using and manipulating religion to fit their means/control power. Seemed to be the general theme of the movie. Religion/Faith = good. Religion being abused for power = bad

gdt

I saw it more as Religion/Faith can be good.

The message of peace and love etc. Like what Eli said.

I'm athiest, and the religious stuff didn't bug me.

Veidt

StoOgE said:
I took it to mean that
there was some sort of religious war that caused the problems. It was somewhat non-specific, but the people blamed religion on the destruction of the planet.

It seems to fit in with the general theme that religion isn't the problem. It's people using and manipulating religion to fit their means/control power. Seemed to be the general theme of the movie. Religion/Faith = good. Religion being abused for power = bad
This is also how I saw it.

bjork

Gary Whitta said:
I've heard a lot of people say they need to go back and watch it again, hopefully that's good for repeat business :D

I watched it twice, once Friday and once Saturday. Reward my loyalty by answering my earlier question? :huggle

bjork said:

I have no idea, obviously I'd love to see that stuff. Maybe it's more likely now that the movie has been a big commercial hit. Personally I'd love to see an Eli figurine and a really good quality replica sword.

StoOgE

Gary Whitta said:
I have no idea, obviously I'd love to see that stuff. Maybe it's more likely now that the movie has been a big commercial hit. Personally I'd love to see an Eli figurine and a really good quality replica sword.

I have an idea for a really cheap videogame tie in. Pass it on to WB for me and we can split all the space bucks we'll make.

Take DMC3, and strip away all of the graphics. You have to play by sound and intuition alone

Pretty sure we could crank that sucker out in an afternoon.

bjork

Gary Whitta said:

I've already been cruising toy store sites in search of stuff, will post if I see anything.

Real Action Hero figure of Eli would be great. Or a black t-shirt with the shot right after he kicks the door in of the first house he comes to.

mrkgoo

I'm considering finally going to see this today.

I think I have the day off work (well, I'm not at work, at any rate).

hednik4am

OK so people seem to be having a problem with him taking so long to make his way to his destination. For one we don't really know when he received his quest or what was done in between then and the end. It could be said that maybe he just wandered around in the desert, i.e. moses for 30 years until it was his time to finish. Maybe it just takes a suspension if disbelief. I can't say for sure.

Why were things forgotten so quickly ? I wish i could explain that one. I have a theory but maybe it was a hole. Who knows.

I mean this in all sincerity but why is it that when there are religous overtones do atheists feel that someone is forcing it down their throats or become offened ? When the tables are turned i don't feel that anyone is forcing atheism on me. Does someone making a point always have to be considered forcing it or heavy heanded just because you dont agree ?

EviLore said:
Vast Inspiration said:
And I haven't sen anyone mention this, but I found the movie played out very similar to The Road
You're a regular master of observation yourself, I see.
Aww, selective quoting is cute. How about we see the entire sentence I wrote?
Vast Inspiration said:
And I haven't sen anyone mention this, but I found the movie played out very similar to The Road and Waterworld (a connection which no one has seemed to point out)...except this movie is done much better and has an awesome ending.
The Road connection has been pointed out many times before but I was specifically talking about Waterworld. I even said it again in brackets that Waterworld is the one that hasn't been mentioned before.

But I guess its cool that you got to make a witty comment.

Veidt

hednik4am said:
OK so people seem to be having a problem with him taking so long to make his way to his destination. For one we don't really know when he received his quest or what was done in between then and the end. It could be said that maybe he just wandered around in the desert, i.e. moses for 30 years until it was his time to finish. Maybe it just takes a suspension if disbelief. I can't say for sure.

Why were things forgotten so quickly ? I wish i could explain that one. I have a theory but maybe it was a hole. Who knows.
There might be an easy explanation for that. Not necessarily immediately forgotten. But forbidden from mention leads ultimately to erosion of memory. The vast majority of the world after the flash, didn't see any benefit in religion and was in fact militant towards it.

Back when West-African slaves where taken to America. Many of them already had their own religious background, so they were Muslims or something else.
Many of them kept reciting their religious scripts and cultural traditions. So they would teach their children their cultural and religious heritage such as the the Qur'an ect. As a consequence, many slaves were severely punished so they couldn't:

A-Teach their progeny any other language than the English they'd be growing up in. So it'd be harder for them to communicate with their Children.
B- Erase their cultural heritage including religious inclination. So that they'd adopt surrounding culture and traditions.

I suspect something similar but not of the same severity must have been the case with the Book of Eli. Until most of them just forgot.

hednik4am

Jibril said:
There might be an easy explanation for that. Not necessarily immediately forgotten. But forbidden from mention leads ultimately to erosion of memory. The vast majority of the world after the flash, didn't see any benefit in religion and was in fact militant towards it.

Back when West-African slaves where taken to America. Many of them already had their own religious background, so they were Muslims or something else.
Many of them kept reciting their religious scripts and cultural traditions. So they would teach their children their cultural and religious heritage such as the the Qur'an ect. As a consequence, many slaves were severely punished so they couldn't:

A-Teach their progeny any other language than the English they'd be growing up in. So it'd be harder for them to communicate with their Children.
B- Erase their cultural heritage including religious inclination. So that they'd adopt surrounding culture and traditions.

I suspect something similar but not of the same severity must have been the case with the Book of Eli. Until most of them just forgot.

I think this is what I might have been leaning towards. Scares the hell out of me wondering how quickly our culture could be forgotten if something of that magnitude ever happened.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
hednik4am said:
I think this is what I might have been leaning towards. Scares the hell out of me wondering how quickly our culture could be forgotten if something of that magnitude ever happened.

...and nothing of value was lost.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
hednik4am said:
care to elaborate ?

Sorry. Being more than slightly facetious. I do not honestly think our present culture is completely devoid of merit. I do, however, live in South Carolina at the moment, so that does tend to darken ones image of culture at large...

hednik4am said:
care to elaborate ?
He's trying to say that "our culture" isn't worth saving.

Which is a cynical point of view, but one that many people share.
hednik4am said:
I mean this in all sincerity but why is it that when there are religous overtones do atheists feel that someone is forcing it down their throats or become offened ? When the tables are turned i don't feel that anyone is forcing atheism on me. Does someone making a point always have to be considered forcing it or heavy heanded just because you dont agree ?
Totally agree. If you felt that religion was "shoved down your throat" in this movie, then you either don't know how to use that phrase or you are extremely insecure.

Just got back from seeing it.

Have to say...I really couldnt get into it. The pacing was roughhhhhhhhhh. The characters never developed at all. I left completely meh'ed out after hoping the story would eventually, somehow pick up. Beginning was way too plodding imo. Parts of the middle got my hopes up only to crush them right down with some more ridiculous pacing and the silly ending.

At least Mila Kunis was smokin' as usual. God that woman is perfect. Probably the only holywood "crush" I have.

hednik4am

Vast Inspiration said:
He's trying to say that "our culture" isn't worth saving.

Which is a cynical point of view, but one that many people share.

Totally agree. If you felt that religion was "shoved down your throat" in this movie, then you either don't know how to use that phrase or you are extremely insecure.

I was thinking thats what he meant but I was making sure haha.... well he does have a good point, not much worth saving from the 80's haha.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
StoOgE said:
Alright.

Just got back.

First of all, I liked it. I have some major problems with the movie, but on the whole I liked it.

My biggest complaint honestly is the fucking retarded product placements in this movie. In a world where books are a rare commodity, water is scarce and working electronics are even scarcer it seems that corporate branding has been harmed in no way whatsoever. Several of the product placements took me right out of the immersion in the movie. The KFC packets were one thing, the giant fucking Motorola logo on the bullhorn was too much.

Eh. The bullhorn has to have been made by someone. *shrug*

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Yea, no product placement would lead me to wonder who actually made any of that shit. It made perfect sense. Product placement is really that prolific in our day to day lifes, in case you haven't noticed.

hednik4am

TheLegendary said:
Just got back from seeing it.

Have to say...I really couldnt get into it. The pacing was roughhhhhhhhhh. The characters never developed at all. I left completely meh'ed out after hoping the story would eventually, somehow pick up. Beginning was way too plodding imo. Parts of the middle got my hopes up only to crush them right down with some more ridiculous pacing and the silly ending.

At least Mila Kunis was smokin' as usual. God that woman is perfect. Probably the only holywood "crush" I have.

The pacing was not what i had come to expect when I walked in the thater... i was expecting fast cuts and a shoot out every 5 minutes and it never happened and to be honest i was glad it didnt. Thats not the kind of movie it was.

As for the charaters not developing I never got the feelgin they were supposed to. We weren't supposed to know their fully fleshed out backgrounds and what made them cry... i feel they were in a way one dimensional for a purpose.

StoOgE

GDJustin said:
Eh. The bullhorn has to have been made by someone. *shrug*

yeah, but most bullhorns don't have the companies logo taking up the entire side of said bullhorn.

I don't have an issue with some product placement. It would have made sense.

There was a lack of tact used in this movie though.

hednik4am

StoOgE said:
yeah, but most bullhorns don't have the companies logo taking up the entire side of said bullhorn.

I don't have an issue with some product placement. It would have made sense.

There was a lack of tact used in this movie though.

just now thinking back you have a point but i think iRobot has to have been the worst I've ever seen

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Yea, no product placement would lead me to wonder who actually made any of that shit. It made perfect sense. Product placement is really that prolific in our day to day lifes, in case you haven't noticed.
As my girlfriend pointed out, it's unlikely that the first priority among survivors in a post-apoc world would be to scrape the logos off everything :lol

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Gary Whitta said:
As my girlfriend pointed out, it's unlikely that the first priority among survivors in a post-apoc world would be to scrape the logos off everything :lol
"KFC made my wet naps? Fuck that shit! MEAT IS MURDER! Generic Brand or BUST!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom