• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPS: The 50 Best FPS Ever Made

Yarbskoo

I haven't played Thief 2 yet, but I played Thief Gold, and I'm not sure I'd call it an FPS.

Halo should probably be a bit higher, but at least Half-Life is near the top where it belongs.

Tagyhag

In general it's a good list but there are some weird choices. (Opinions and all that)

Far Cry 2 at 10? Shouldn't even be in the top 100.

BioShock 2 in there while SS2 isn't? Insane.

Wrong Chronicles of Riddick by far.

Should be Outcast instead of Mysteries.

Glad that Thief 2 is so high though, anyone who thinks their favorite game has the best stealth should try it and realize they were wrong. :p

MiguelItUp

While the list could be worse, I'm shocked at the lack of Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Quake 2 (Why is Action mentioned but not just Quake 2 as a whole?), Heretic, Hexen. I mean, I don't think I've ever seen a perfect (in my opinion) list of FPS titles, this one was pretty good, but also pretty strange.

ObiDin

Am I the only one who thinks Doom doesn't hold up? I mean it was good at the time, but I'm not seeing how someone can think it's the top FPS ever made.

Disagree. Doom set the standard in my mind for many years and is still fun when I play it from time to time.

Sijil

I don't care what John Walker thinks about Deus Ex, even tho I've been reading his articles since the early 2000's on PC Gamer, but that game is still one of my top 5 FPS ever made, period, it is Warren Spector's masterpiece.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Some nice recognitios there. like STALKER and Riddick.
That's a tight list overall.

Shin

Banned
Can't say I'd agree with CSGO over CS 1.6 (I'm sure many will agree on this).
That game just felt right in every way, all we needed was updated graphics.

Actually yes. Played the demo to death, never bought the full game.

Also, isn't Deus Ex an FPS? I know it has RPG elements, but it's an FPS to me and should be high up in this list...

I consider it more of an RPG with FPS elements. The shooter elements were really poorly done, the aiming had a serious RNG element, and to get the crosshairs down to a reasonable size you had to wait a good 3-4 seconds of crouching. Besides that it encourages you to not shoot and I went through the game as a first person brawler. I mostly just knocked people out or beat them up with a crowbar.

If we're talking Deus Ex IW or HR I can concede that they were decent shooters.

Zia

I typically don't complain about placement on lists like these, but TF2 below Far Cry 3 and Typing of the Dead, which isn't even a FPS?

Yikes.

73V3N

Banned
They really need to stop making lists, they suck at it
e5YuU.gif

mcrommert

Banned
Terrible list...most appalling is the lack of l4d and how low halo ce is

Does show me that most of the interesting work last gen for shooters was definitely on consoles (xbox 360 really to be honest)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The last third of 1 is telling me that 2 had a better story, as well. :p

The second one ended far better than the first, but the story was nowhere near as good overall. I love Bioshock 2 but it's not in the same league as the original.

LeonSPBR

The only thing I don't agree is Bioshock 2. It shoudn't have a place in the list. and I would change some position, but they picked great games.

yuraya

Replace Bad Company with BF2 and move TF2 up a bit. Outside of that its an excellent list. Only one from top 10 I never played was Far cry.

Edit: Also the love for SWAT 4 makes me very happy :)

BasilZero

Dang bioshock 2 high up o_O

From all I heard I thought it would be lower and part 1 would be higher. Will play Bioshock 2 soon.

WHOOOOA - Left 4 dead 2 - mah fav fps is #21 ;(!

No payday on the list is weird.

Orayn

Am I the only one who thinks Doom doesn't hold up? I mean it was good at the time, but I'm not seeing how someone can think it's the top FPS ever made.

I played through Doom for the first time this fall and I agree with its place on the top of the list. Doom is just fucking amazing in every possible way, and it's done more than just hold up; it still puts most other shooters to shame.

Somnid

Doom being number 1 is all I care about.

For those that find it unplayable you can try one of the modern ports like zDoom and enable mouselook. It's painfully easy that way but still a lot of fun.

Top Bottom