• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPS: The 50 Best FPS Ever Made

Karu

Protip from someone who read the intro:

50-11 are unranked. Your favourite game is of course #11
Like for real, list threads are always the worst, but jesus christ...

Seems like a solid list. Though I'm not that knowledgable in the genre. Like FEAR a lot. cs and HL are on there, Swat 4, also. coolcoolcool.

EGM1966

Not too bad overall but some oddities.

For starters, much as I love both games neither Mirrors Edge nor Alien Isolation should be on that list; neither is about combat really be it guns or blackjacks and both feature a non shooter main mechanic (free running in Mirrors Edge and avoiding everything including combat for Alien Isolation).

Also maybe my eye keeps missing it but where's UT99 and where's Painkiller?

Jito

Banned
Good list! It's missing a couple of classics like OP Force, UT99, AVP 2, Halo 2 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, but I'll let it slide.

But Typing of the Dead? Really? It's not exactly an FPS.

People moaning about Bioshock 2 have no idea what they're on about, it's the best game in the Bioshock series.

Also, every FPS list needs Titanfall on it, if you can't appreciate how good it is then there's no hope for you.

randomwab

Far Cry 2 in the top 10? BioShock 2, Bad Company 2, Mirror's Edge and Crysis in the top 20?

Fantastic list. Glad to see what I would consider a lot of underrated FPS titles represented. My only criticism would be F.E.A.R. is far too low.

I'm one of the people who actually liked Far Cry 2, but the game is way too high for how unquestionably broken some of its gameplay systems are.

Fasty

Read the top ten nodding in agreement with every single one, all the the correct order too (loved seeing Half Life sitting in its rightful spot above Half Life 2).

Except I think Crysis should be there in place of Farcry 2. Nice to see Tribes Ascend make the list further down too. And Bad Company 2. Great list!

People moaning about Bioshock 2 have no idea what they're on about, it's the best game in the Bioshock series.

That might be true... But doesn't mean it still isn't garbage.

Hard to argue with the list though. Gameplay is very similar for most of these titles, so everybody will have their own taste in general atmosphere.

I would argue that System Shock 2 should be top of the list too. Poor shooting? Maybe. But a fps should be about all the other elements it brings to the table as well. I'd like to think all these other games are missing parts of a great fps, not the other way around.

Tagyhag

cause I think it's very good and the best Far Cry and people shit on it unfairly

it was amazing for it's time too

Could you be more specific please? Is it a case of the things that people consider flaws you tend to enjoy?

I mean, top 10 of all time, that's a tall order.

Harmen

Interesting list.

Mine would most certainly be different, but there are quite a few overlooked quality games that do not get enough praise in there I think.

Jito

Banned
That might be true... But doesn't mean it still isn't garbage.

Hard to argue with the list though. Gameplay is very similar for most of these titles, so everybody will have their own taste in general atmosphere.

I would argue that System Shock 2 should be top of the list too. Poor shooting? Maybe. But a fps should be about all the other elements it brings to the table as well. I'd like to think all these other games are missing parts of a great fps, not the other way around.

Ha I'll give you that, they're not really the best shooters around so it's hardly worth mentioning that Bioshock 2 plays the best out of the three. It does have the most interesting mechanics with defending little sisters and the dual wielding system though. Bioshock 1 had none of that and Infinite just became a corridor shooter with cool rail sections. All of the games in the series are carried by their settings.

I guess people look at these lists as "let's see how I can complain about what's wrong with this opinion" instead of "huh, maybe there are some games I can check out."

Anyway, Planetside 2, huh? I played a bit of it but didn't get far enough in to get hooked. Need to find a decent guide maybe.

RPS has always had a strong Planetside 2 community. They had frequently held events against PC Gamer UK. Its a bold choice, for sure. I personally have sunken a disgusting amount of time into the game myself and I'd definitely put it in my top 10.

The lack of Duke3D is pretty disappointing. Just on its own, its a great shooter, but it really is a landmark in level design and interactivity. I'd argue that it is as historically important to the genre as anything, bar Doom.

XPE

I guess its represented by ArmA 3 but I surprised there is no Operation Flash point the original was amazing.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
How to SoC make the list but not Call of Pripyat?

And 2033 over Last Light?

Decent list, but some questionable choices.

A top 50 all-time list without Unreal Tournament 99 on the list???

I...what?

how do you leave a top 5 game completely off your list? The generation and industry impact of that game alone qualifies it for at least top 10. Top 5 in my book.

You can't freely jump in any LoZ.

And having played through both recently, Doom holds up much better than Duke Nukem. The level design is better, the monsters are better, the bosses are better, the more simplistic gameplay holds up better. Duke Nukem is basically a setpiece shooter with setpieces that are no longer impressive. Doom is an expertly crafted shooting experience that will never get old.

OH! I don't see how free jumping adds significant depth to a Zelda title. Unlike how aiming adds things like area sensitive damage and a new layer of skill to an FPS.

Yeah, the setpieces were quite memorable in Duke Nukem. The strip club, movie theatre, and the jet pack I vividly remember. I think that's great you like Doom so much. I'll ask you again, what was it that made the encounters so amazing? I thought they were rather bland.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah. This is a bad list. UT99 is a top 10/15 FPS of all time on PC, easily.

I'm always curious as to what the authors of these lists rate by. Is it "best", "best at the time", "most influential", etc.

Half-life is the number one FPS of all time. Pretty much all subsequent FPSes followed in its footsteps, so it wins most influential in a landslide, and outside of the last level it was the best. DOOM would be a number two, though. The rest of the list is full of garbage choices.
In their defense, they put Q3A in there, which was the only worthwhile FPS that year.

*throw gauntlet*

espher

Quake III at #5, UT2k4 makes the list, no UT99? Pass.

Fuck, Q2 shits all over Q3A, nevermind Action Quake 2.

Edit: Tribes Ascend over Tribes I and Tribes II, fucking lol. I'm OK with Planetside 2 in there but closer to 50 than fucking Top 10 material, I mean, fucking wow.

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory over Return to Castle Wolfenstein seems real weird.

Also a bunch of these games (Mirror's Edge, Zeno Clash, Thief 2, etc.) aren't really shooters.

mkenyon

Banned
Quake at #37? Oy. Without Quake, QuakeSpy, QuakeWorld we would have a totally different online landscape for the genre.
Yeah, but that's more on the community, not the game itself. Do you give awards to the muse, or to the actual worthy content?

I get what you're saying though. And personally, my top 5 would be something like:

#1 Quake
#2 Tribes
#3 Quake III
#4 Wolf: ET
#5 SoF II

Even then, there's no Wolf: ET or SoF II without Quake, cause they're made by id's buddy dev on the Quake Engine.
Unreal Tournament 99 isn't on this list. Therefore, this list is a joke.
The only thing that is a joke is that people actually played it when Quake III was out. :p

The fact that UT99 isn't on this list, let alone top 5 immediately voids it's credibility. Anyone who played fps or arena games on pc back then had this installed.

synce

Why is Bioshock 2 (cash in sequel) ahead of 1, while Half Life 1 is ahead of 2? Seems like they're using different standards for different games.

Springy

So much of the list (and its omissions) would make me angry were it not that their #1 is right on the money.

DOOM is peerless and anyone who claims it doesn't hang is a damn fool.

Shtof

BioShock 2 instead of BioShock invalidates the list and is unforgivable. I cannot even begin to fathom which thought process led to that decision.

blackflag

My personal favorite is UT99. With lack of single player I understand it not being in top 5 but not even there? L-O-L

Mechwarrior not considered first person? I played it in first person most of the time. Mechwarrior 3 especially.

jg4xchamp

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl in the top 5? Fuck yeah my kind of list.

Half Life 2 is way too high, and Far Cry 2 should not be on a positive list.

Zemm

Lol list. So many greats missing but no return to castle wolfenstein is criminal. The game with the highest quality MP maps throughout.

DSix

Banned
carmackRPStrash.jpg

Top Bottom