• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Super Metroid - Yep, it's still one of the best games of all time

Hylian7

Great game design truly does not age.

Super Metroid recently came out on the n3DS Virtual Console, and it's a game I have always wanted to have on a portable simply because it's satisfying to replay every single time. Now I finally got that wish, and I just finished it again on n3DS.

I never had an SNES, so many SNES games I missed out on, I was introduced to through the Wii Virtual Console. Super Metroid came out in 2007 on the Wii VC, a few weeks before Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. I picked it up and understood the hype behind it immediately. The game is so well designed, that it doesn't require much text at all. All you get is the storyline at the beginning, and occasional tips on how to activate a new item you pick up. Otherwise, the game teaches you by it's design, or you just trying it.

I have never been able to beat the original NES Metroid. Every single time I try to go beat it, I always get frustrated with it and give up. I've narrowed it down to a few reasons why:

1. You start with 30 energy. This alone makes is extremely frustrating.
2. Hitting enemies is extremely difficult. You cannot crouch, you cannot aim diagonally. The simplest of enemies can be so frustrating to dispatch.
3. Many rooms look so similar. There are vertical rooms that all change color palettes, and a lot of rooms just look the same. It gets confusing, and you don't always remember how high you went in each room and took the right hatch. If this wasn't an issue, then having no map system wouldn't be a problem, but because it is, having no map system is not good.

Super Metroid addresses every single one of those complaints. You can hit enemies that you should be able to hit, you start with the amount of health you had when you last saved. You still start with full energy at the very beginning of the game (although it doesn't really matter because when you land on Zebes you are on the ship, which recharges everything). Every area is designed so you can tell the difference, and the map system helps you go places you haven't been yet.

Recently, (and there was a GAF thread about this) the Fine Bros put out a Teens React video to Super Metroid. Many of them had never heard of this game before, and some recognized Samus and Ridley from Smash. However, there was something amazing about this video. Often you see things like the infamous "Why can't Metroid crawl?" Miiverse post, and other things like that about kids not understanding what the game is showing you. However, here it was very different. Every single one of these kids could figure out what was going on. The Ridley "fight" at the Ceres Station in the beginning, most of them were like "Oh my god, what do I do? How do I beat this guy?" and then he flew away. That feeling of "Oh god what do I do?" during that fight is exactly the feeling it was supposed to invoke. The escape from Ceres isn't a particularly difficult one, and all of them did it in one try. It gives you an environment just to get a hang of the platforming controls in the game, and does that job well.

Landing on Zebes, they all knew where to go. The game naturally funnels you in the direction of the old starting point of the original Metroid. They saw those tiny passageways and were like "I need something that makes me small.", then they see "Morphing Ball" come up when they get that first item and understand that's the thing that makes them small to fit in those spaces. "Metroid" doesn't have to "crawl". So then they see that eye, but they saw there was more stuff to explore to the right, so that's where they all went next. They figured out you could shoot the blocks, since they shot downward in midair to open the door to get in the NES Metroid starting area. Then they have missiles, and the game tells them how to use them. Then they see something new: A red door. The logical guess is that this requires missiles, so they use one and see it flashes like it did something, unlike the regular power beam. So they shoot it with missiles until it opens. So now with all their tools, they go back the way they came, and see that first small space they passed on the way in, and figure that's the most logical place to go. They see the Chozo statue, similar to the one that held the missile tank, so the natural reaction is to shoot the orb, and get the new item: The morph ball bombs. Then the door is locked, something is different. The statue gets up and they have to fight it. Many of them tried the morph ball bombs, and figured out they could roll between it's legs unscathed. Most of them did not get past the Torizo, but one did. They only got to try the Torizo once. However when the ones that didn't make it died, most of them noticed something:

death1.jpg

"Wait that was a woman, what?" Even though the fact that Samus was a woman was more commonly known at the time this was released, many people today don't know that, since this game and the others weren't in their generation, or they didn't pay attention to them. The fact that Samus was a woman was a surprise in the first game, but then for those that still didn't know, they managed to keep this slightly concealed. Samus could be seen as a fairly gender neutral name, but they all assumed it was a man in space armor. Everyone thought it was really cool that she was a woman the whole time.

Going beyond what the kids in that video played, there are tons of amazing moments in the game that really show how perfectly designed it is. One such example is in Maridia. There's a hatch you go in that is really just a long tube that you fall to the bottom with, however the camera moves quickly and follows where Samus is in the tube, and you can see outside the tube, that there's a bunch of stuff there. You somehow want to get in there. Then you notice something on the way down. The game showed you what a Metroid looks like, you know you're looking for the Metroid hatchling, but on the way down that tube you see something so fast, and of course your first thought is that it's the baby Metroid, or at least a Metroid. It makes you think "Oh, I found it, I just have to get in there now." Once you do get in there, you find out it was actually one of these:

latest

It was a Mochtroid, not a real Metroid. False alarm, but you still have stuff to find in this area anyway.

The multiple ways to handle some situations in this game is nothing short of amazing. For instance, in the battle against Draygon, there are turrets on the wall that are shooting at you, in addition to Draygon and his young attacking you. Draygon throws these sticky blobs at you and can pick you up. You blow up these turrets and see an electric current off of them. If you're clever, you can find a way to kill Draygon so quickly. You know the grapple beam grapples onto things, electricity and water don't mix, Draygon is in the water. So you let him pick you up, drag you near one of the destroyed turrets, fire the grapple beam, and ZAP. You are taking a lot of damage, but Draygon is taking even more damage, and dies within seconds! If you don't figure this out though, you can still just beat him normally.

Like I have mentioned before, this game does really well with showing you goals, and the fact that you need something else to reach them. It does this all without pointing at anything, just you seeeing something on screen. For instance, you know Ridley took the Metroid hatchling, and you go deeper into Norfair, and suddenly there's a giant Ridley head statue, however to get there you have to go through lava. At the time you see this, this isn't happening. You can't move quickly through lava, and of course it's draining your health too. You get the Gravity Suit later, and find out you can get through the lava with no problem, so that's what you need to go after Ridley.

The secret techniques are amazing too, and gives you reason to experiment with your abilities. You learn the wall jump and Shinespark from the Etecoons and Dachora, but there are other abilities such as the Crystal Flash.

Good game design doesn't age, and Super Metroid is a testament to that. It still remains one of my favorite games of all time, and one that I can play again and again and enjoy every single time. If you haven't gotten to play it, you really need to. It's available in the original SNES cart (if you can find it), but also much more easily accessible in the Wii, Wii U, and n3DS Virtual Consoles.

Neiteio

I'll have to read this later, since I actually just started Super Metroid and I don't want to spoil myself on how it unfolds. I just finished EarthBound and absolutely adored it, but it took me several attempts to get into it. Super Metroid is another game I couldn't get into in the past, but I'm hoping that like EarthBound, the third time will be the charm.

I changed the controls so that it plays more like DKC2. Still adjusting to the lack of jump momentum. I don't recall the jump feeling this way in Fusion or Zero Mission, but I imagine it controlled the same.

kadotsu

Banned
This game has the best designed natural route I've ever seen in a 2D action adventure game. Unfortunately I played it after the superior controlling Zero/Fusion. The controls feel a little bit too deliberate for my taste, on the other hand they create some of the greatest high level tech. I still would like a re-release with the GBA control scheme and snappiness.

Dad

Played it for the first time a couple of years ago and loved it. But did people actually manage to find all the extra upgrades back then without help from Nintendo Power or something? Because some of that shit is just devious

It's probably the game I've known that is well balanced around beating it normally as well as sequence breaking it.

Its so stupidly well designed. There's a couple obtuse parts and its a bit floaty jump wise, but damn the level design otherwise is way too good and nothing has ever come close.

Played it for the first time a couple of years ago and loved it. But did people actually managed to find all the extra upgrades back then without help from Nintendo Power or something? Because some of that shit is just devious

Power bombs reveal most of them IIRC

Makonero

I'll have to read this later, since I actually just started Super Metroid and I don't want to spoil myself on how it unfolds. I just finished EarthBound and absolutely adored it, but it took me several attempts to get into it. Super Metroid is another game I couldn't get into in the past, but I'm hoping that like EarthBound, the third time will be the charm.

I changed the controls so that it plays more like DKC2. Still adjusting to the lack of jump momentum. I don't recall the jump feeling this way in Fusion or Zero Mission, but I imagine it controlled the same.

The jump in Super is a bit clunky compared to Fusion and ZM. I prefer the latter two games if only for this single pedantic reason.

Neff

I don't recall the jump feeling this way in Fusion or Zero Mission, but I imagine it controlled the same.

The jump/movement physics are totally different and much more complex in Super.

The invisible hand that guides you through the game is level design perfection.

Yup.

Played it for the first time a couple of years ago and loved it. But did people actually manage to find all the extra upgrades back then without help from Nintendo Power or something? Because some of that shit is just devious

I found every item by myself in 1994 with the exception of
the Energy Tank in the room past Ridley
, which isn't particularly well hidden, I didn't realise it was there.

Hylian7

It's very doable. X-Ray Scope is your friend.

Oh, and one more thing, I discovered something I had no idea about on this playthrough:

I always found it difficult with the default controls to dash and shoot at the same time, however it's doable. When you start running with holding B, you can let go and keep moving at a running speed! I had no idea this was possible! So if you were going through those Speed Booster corridors, you can just hold B for a second, then let go and fire as you keep running.

El Sabroso

I wonder that for Metroid on the NES, Super Metroid has a map and is a lot of stuff already makes it more intuitive, and specially the map helps a lot

Yeah easily just one of the greatest games ever made without question.

There's so much to that. For one you have the art direction and atmosphere. Every area gives you the sense that it is setting out to give you, 100%, maybe 110%. Hell, I love watery environments because I'm a swimmer, I just love water and everything to do with it, and locations like Maridia with its design and desolate soundtrack gives me some incredible, moody feels.

The gameplay is fantastic. It's one of those games where you can be good or bad at. By that I mean the more you master everything about it and learn the rhythm of how the game plays, much like the Souls series, the better you are. The location interactivity, music, controls, atmosphere, the layout of the secrets and how they're embedded into the levels... it's just one of the best games to play, ever.

The reasons why I love this game carry fully over into why I love the Souls series. I don't mean to turn this into one of those Metroid = Souls = everything threads, but it's true. I have a super huge appreciation of games that are designed to where everything makes incredible organic sense, and Super Metroid for me is really the first of its kind. Sure the original Metroid did it but under the limitations of the NES.

Super Metroid however totally nailed it and brought this seamless sense of both game design and world organics together in a way that I hadn't experienced since I got an SNES. Just a fabulous game that stands the test of time.

And fuck you nintendo for not making anymore 2d metroid

Hey look, I want more 2D Metroid as much as the next person, but the Prime series absolutely took the best of 2D Metroid and made it progressional. I wouldn't mind if the next Metroid is another Prime game, or 2D, as long as the phenomenal gameplay and atmosphere remains intact.

Pinky

Banned
Super Metroid is a masterpiece. The interconnectivity and design of the world is brilliant. The atmosphere, the music, the bosses, etc... One of the finest offerings on SNES.

Zebei

The first time I played this game I hated it so bad. Couldn't understand how anyone could love this game.

Then I played it a few years later and was blown away. I pretty much didn't stop playing for an entire day until it was done. It was amazing. The level design, in all of it's little nuances is some the most beautiful game design i've ever seen and it's amazing to see those details and how it teaches you WITHOUT telling you with a tutorial.

Lab Zero's developer stream where they pretty much just said all the little game design aspects was eye opening too and made it even better to me.

Neiteio

Trying to get into it for the third time, I'm impressed by the atmosphere and level design, but I really don't like the mechanics and controls so far. I'm hoping they'll click at some point, but the way you lose all momentum when jumping is rather jarring.

Literally my only problem with Super is that Fusion/Zero Mission have much better controls and jump/fall physics. Excellent game with exactly the right atmosphere, content, pacing, and difficulty.

Neiteio

Literally my only problem with Super is that Fusion/Zero Mission have much better controls and jump/fall physics. Excellent game with exactly the right atmosphere, content, pacing, and difficulty.
Yeah, I think I would've already beat this game if I liked the controls. I wonder if someone could try hacking in Fusion/ZM-style controls and jump/fall physics. It'd be interesting to see if the original game balance still holds up with more intuitive handling.

What exactly is wrong with the controls? The only thing that i recommend when starting is changing the button layout. I like Shoot and jump on the Y and X buttons on the SNES controller, Run on A. i have not played the re-release yet, so I don't know if this is still the case.

Neiteio

What exactly is wrong with the controls? The only thing that i recommend when starting is changing the button layout. I like Shoot and jump on the Y and X buttons on the SNES controller, Run on A. i have not played the re-release yet, so I don't know if this is still the case.
It's not the button mapping, although I remapped it myself to control like DKC2. It's mainly the way Samus jumps. It's just... not fun. At least, not yet. It's jarring how you can be running at full speed, but then you jump and she loses all momentum, hovering in the air a short distance from where she jumped rather than long-jumping like you'd expect. It's a jarring stop and go. I want to feel fast and acrobatic but lose any sense of that once I jump.

I'm sure I'll adjust to it at some point, but in the meantime it makes playing the game a rather unpleasant experience. I can tell the level design, enemy encounters, atmosphere, pacing and progression are all on point, but the controls keep distracting me.

It's really the recommendation of The Xtortionist, who considers this his favorite game, that has me determined to see it through.

marmoka

Banned
This game would be perfect, if the wall jumping mechanic wasn't so hard. I love this game, I played it two years ago for the first time, and OMG!!!

Every gamer should play this once.

kaydigi

I've played and finished Super Metroid 20 times since launch without ever realizing the super bomb charge was actually a move in the game. I always thought is was just something for the attract screen.

Throws cart and mint box in the trash......

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Most games I get tired of replaying, even if they're really good.

Super Metroid is one of the only games out there where my enjoyment increases with each replay.

It's not the button mapping, although I remapped it myself to control like DKC2. It's mainly the way Samus jumps. It's just... not fun. At least, not yet. It's jarring how you can be running at full speed, but then you jump and she loses all momentum, hovering in the air a short distance from where she jumped rather than long-jumping like you'd expect. It's a jarring stop and go. I want to feel fast and acrobatic but lose any sense of that once I jump.

I'm sure I'll adjust to it at some point, but in the meantime it makes playing the game a rather unpleasant experience. I can tell the level design, enemy encounters, atmosphere, pacing and progression are all on point, but the controls keep distracting me.

It's really the recommendation of The Xtortionist, who considers this his favorite game, that has me determined to see it through.

Hmmm, it has been a few years since I have played Super Metroid, but I dont remember any issues with losing momentum while jumping. I play by always having the run button held, so she keeps moving at full speed. i also incorporate wall jumps and stuff everywhere, mainly because it is awesome, and opens items and areas earlier than normal. I would definitely not give up on this wonderful game, and even if you don't like it, It is a very short game.

Neiteio

Hmmm, it has been a few years since I have played Super Metroid, but I dont remember any issues with losing momentum while jumping. I play by always having the run button held, so she keeps moving at full speed. i also incorporate wall jumps and stuff everywhere, mainly because it is awesome, and opens items and areas earlier than normal. I would definitely not give up on this wonderful game, and even if you don't like it, It is a very short game.
Just to be clear, I know it's a good game. I can tell that much. I can tell it's well-designed. It's just a matter of me adjusting to the controls. I hope it clicks so I can enjoy it.

eXistor

I've always vastly preferred Super Metroid's controls to Fusion and Zero Mission. Those controls are too snappy. Super Metroid's controls have so much more leeway than the GBA ones. They controls in those are fine, but I never get the feeling I can use them to my own advantage.

Still my favorite game of all time, tied with Earthbound (as I've said many times now, I think even earlier this week).

NolbertoS

I just finished the gane for the upteenth time and never vet bored. Game is a great classic alright, but I did notice that they made the diffuculty easier than the original SNES. The boss fights were a breeze. Don't recall Kraid and Ridleys fight being easy

beef3483

The best 2D game created, and Prime is the best 3D. So best franchise of all time even taking into account Other M.

Xenoblade

The wall kicking is just sublime. I still remember my friend telling me how he fell down that long tunnel in Brinstar(?) and then saved and could never get out because he didn't know you could wall kick. It was the reason he sold me the game, complete with box and manual, for $20. This was in the days before the internet.

I still have it on my shelf. The best Metroid game bar none.

nkarafo

The multiple ways to handle some situations in this game is nothing short of amazing. For instance, in the battle against Draygon, there are turrets on the wall that are shooting at you, in addition to Draygon and his young attacking you. Draygon throws these sticky blobs at you and can pick you up. You blow up these turrets and see an electric current off of them. If you're clever, you can find a way to kill Draygon so quickly. You know the grapple beam grapples onto things, electricity and water don't mix, Draygon is in the water. So you let him pick you up, drag you near one of the destroyed turrets, fire the grapple beam, and ZAP. You are taking a lot of damage, but Draygon is taking even more damage, and dies within seconds! If you don't figure this out though, you can still just beat him normally.
Metroid 2 does something similar with it's final Queen boss. You can defeat her by throwing rockets at her face (slowest, hardest way). But you can also stun her with her mouth open and if she is close enough you can turn into a morphball and get inside and release some bombs in there. But wait, there's more. If you press down (or left, don't remember) while inside the mouth, you can go down in her stomach and release the bombs there, which makes even more damage.

JusDoIt

I don't get this, is that just the moonwalking you have an option to disable in the menu?
I feel like I'm missing something.

They've found out how to remove the acceleration cap on Samus' fall:

The game doesn't cap your fall speed when doing a spinning jump backwards (out of moonwalk); the game keeps accelerating Samus as she falls. The game can't account for those fall speeds so there are certain rooms where you can clip through platforms.
There are a few rooms where this is particularly applicable: falling to and through the room before old Mother Brain (that's the clip in the clip you see above), red tower, the door drop before new Mother Brain, and to a lesser extent the first part of Ceres. Any moderate drop is a potential time save, however, such as some of the medium falls in Maridia (before Draygon in particular). A lot of these lesser drops are 1/4 to 1/2 second saves, but they can add up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/6fnxtx/oatsngoats_demonstrates_new_super_metroid_tech/

Matty77

Still the GOAT in my opinion and one of the few games along with link to the past I replay once a year, virtually guaranteeing I will buy any Nintendo system that's current that will play them.

As for the physics yeah they are different but they are perfectly designed for that game and it's possibilities. Some of the 2016 posts talk about hacking in physics or controls but that would break the game. Part of the reason it is still one of the top speedrun/sequence breaking games still being played for that purpose is because of stuff you can only do because of the games peculiar controls and physic engine.

I mean yeah it is pretty beautiful and one of the best examples of great level design. I personally think Prime trumps it, but still one of the best.

Top Bottom