• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Super Metroid - Yep, it's still one of the best games of all time

Amazing game.

I do have gripe that never seems to be brought up. The final battle was shit. There's no challenge or excitement. It was the first of its kind, a scripted battle. If you keep tapping the fire button, you can't lose. This is really lame compared to all the other creative and challenging boss battles.

Nerrel

I'll have to read this later, since I actually just started Super Metroid and I don't want to spoil myself on how it unfolds. I just finished EarthBound and absolutely adored it, but it took me several attempts to get into it. Super Metroid is another game I couldn't get into in the past, but I'm hoping that like EarthBound, the third time will be the charm.

I changed the controls so that it plays more like DKC2. Still adjusting to the lack of jump momentum. I don't recall the jump feeling this way in Fusion or Zero Mission, but I imagine it controlled the same.

I envy you, since the only real weakness this game has is that it's too memorable and routine after beating it so many times. It's an amazing experience and probably my favorite game. The sequels tightened some things up in the controls department, but the physics in Super have a great character of their own and the game has never been exceeded when it comes to the atmosphere or general quality of the worlds. It really is Metroid at its best and purest.

I suggest this for the controls- map shoot to Y, jump to B, A for missile select, X for cancel, run on ZL, ZR for aim up, and R for aim down. Doing this requires remapping some buttons in the VC menu first, like making ZL "select" and R "L" so that you can then map them as described above in the game. It's the perfect layout in my opinion, and it makes way more sense than trying to mash 3 buttons at once with your thumb.

EDIT: Wait, this was an old ass thread and you've probably long beaten it by now.

Vanadium

Just finished another run on the 3DS a couple days ago. I sort of hate the NES game, but Super Metroid has always rang the right bells for me.

rex

One of the most overrated games of all time.

Super Metroid is a game so pretentious it has not one, but two long boring intros.

It's a game that, in spite of its reputation as good example of videogame storytelling, constantly backseats gameplay in favor of the illusion of it, as it does during the first and last boss fights where it's unclear at times whether Samus can win, or even lose.

The action portion of the game is essentially meaningless, as Samus' considerable array of beams, missiles and fancy pants diagonal aiming makes the vast majority of enemy encounters irrelevant and unengaging.

Super also pointlessly telegraphs a significant amount of its hidden passageways, defeating the purpose of an exploration based videogame.

A cacophonous soundtrack, coarse and grating sound effects, and the atrocious art style combine for an all out assault on the senses and makes one long for the green screen of an original gameboy.

And when it comes to level design and gameplay, Super Metroid looks like an old clunker next to the Zero Mission ferrari.

You know what really makes me mad about this game? Just how pointlessly dark it is. The first Metroid has an adventurous spirit that imbues the entire game. And even in the darker moments, in Ridley's hideout and in Tourian, the art style and soundtrack work together to create something unique and interesting. Super Metroid is just morose, and for no reason. For a game whose story is about a genocidal pet it really does take itself very seriously.

Game is amazing, and for 1994 there are few games that come close. Gameplay, environments, movement, flexibility, atmosphere, replayability (get a better time and or finding more items). All way ahead of it's time.

I'd be playing it more often but my SNES controllers suck and the pc controllers I have suuuck for d-pad type games.

Light Hobo

Neo Member
It's amazing how many things they got right back in 1994 with Super Metroid. It's not without it's flaws, but it really did great job with pacing and pulling you along to test out your new equipment. I love the atmosphere - it captures being alone on a hostile planet so well. The story told with just music, monsters, and environments is probably more of a limitation at the time, but I find it that the way Nintendo handled the inferred details purely through actions was much better than other games at the time.

I find myself coming back to Super more than the other games in the series and I'm not sure why. Guess it's because it was my first Metroid or maybe it's because I get the Upper Brinstar music in my head from time to time.

I'm eternally grateful for it though since it inspired almost the entire genre of exploration action games today. Everyone should definitely play Zero, Super, Fusion and the Prime games. AM2R is great as well - and I can't wait for Samus Returns. Damn I love Metroid

Also watch Nausicca if you want to see where Metroid and other games got some inspiration
363cccbeaf6c0f8f86750777cc7b8fce.jpg

Nerrel

A cacophonous soundtrack, coarse and grating sound effects, and the atrocious art style combine for an all out assault on the senses and makes one long for the green screen of an original gameboy.

tumblr_mmciylOXBc1qci1aho1_250.gif

Terrible opinions. Genuinely awful.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Super Metroid is a game so pretentious it has not one, but two long boring intros.

It's a game that, in spite of its reputation as good example of videogame storytelling, constantly backseats gameplay in favor of the illusion of it, as it does during the first and last boss fights where it's unclear at times whether Samus can win, or even lose.

The action portion of the game is essentially meaningless, as Samus' considerable array of beams, missiles and fancy pants diagonal aiming makes the vast majority of enemy encounters irrelevant and unengaging.

Super also pointlessly telegraphs a significant amount of its hidden passageways, defeating the purpose of an exploration based videogame.

And when it comes to level design and gameplay, Super Metroid looks like an old clunker next to the Zero Mission ferrari.

You know what really makes me mad about this game? Just how pointlessly dark it is. The first Metroid has an adventurous spirit that imbues the entire game. And even in the darker moments, in Ridley's hideout and in Tourian, the art style and soundtrack work together to create something unique and interesting. Super Metroid is just morose, and for no reason. For a game whose story is about a genocidal pet it really does take itself very seriously.

Well even a shitty opinion is still an opinion.
Bless you 🖒

cuate

Banned

What a shit post. You didn't like it. That's not a problem with the game.

Your critic is beyond moronic.

heringer

What a shit post. You didn't like it. That's not a problem with the game.

Your critic is beyond moronic.

I completely disagree with him, but he explained his point of view well enough. Sure, he said the game is overrated, but to call his post shit and moronic is really uncalled for.

Heero5

It's amazing how many things they got right back in 1994 with Super Metroid. It's not without it's flaws, but it really did great job with pacing and pulling you along to test out your new equipment. I love the atmosphere - it captures being alone on a hostile planet so well. The story told with just music, monsters, and environments is probably more of a limitation at the time, but I find it that the way Nintendo handled the inferred details purely through actions was much better than other games at the time.

I find myself coming back to Super more than the other games in the series and I'm not sure why. Guess it's because it was my first Metroid or maybe it's because I get the Upper Brinstar music in my head from time to time.

I'm eternally grateful for it though since it inspired almost the entire genre of exploration action games today. Everyone should definitely play Zero, Super, Fusion and the Prime games. AM2R is great as well - and I can't wait for Samus Returns. Damn I love Metroid

Also watch Nausicca if you want to see where Metroid and other games got some inspiration
Oh yeah, Super Metroid takes all the best from Nausicca. Especially the toxic jungle and the ohms (spelling?). The game is just sublime.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I completely disagree with him, but he explained his point of view well enough. Sure, he said the game is overrated, but to call his post shit and moronic is really uncalled for.

I agree the guy did well to explain it no need for name calling.

I could never get into this game. I tried on the Wii and Wii U, but I'd always go so far, then lose interest.

It's funny though, because I adore Metroid Prime and SotN, so the game should be right up my alley, but it just isn't. I think it has something to do with the fact that I don't really enjoy the way Samus feels to control.

I should give it another shot again.

Zeneric

I started playing Super Metroid a few days ago. The last time I played it was 25 years ago (when I was about 10 years old) on the SNES so it's like a new game to me again. I thought Super Metroid was alright, nothing great. Then an hour or so later... wow what an awesome game. I can see why it's praised highly. I just need to stop judging games based on their first or 2nd hour. Hollow Knight (a masterpiece) made me want to play more metroidvania games. That's why I decided on Super Metroid. I plan to move to the GBA Metroid games after I complete Super Metroid and then the fanmade game AM2R.

Top Bottom