• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rugby Sevens at the Olympics |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time watching and wow, the girls are beating the holy hell out of each other. Also great match by Team GB with a flawless game over the previous group leaders.

CCS

Banned
So, France-Canada in the quarters. That should be tough from what I gathered :/

Canada played pretty poorly against us, you'll just have to hope they do the same again.

First time watching and wow, the girls are beating the holy hell out of each other. Also great match by Team GB with a flawless game over the previous group leaders.

Was a wonderful game, we keep playing like that and we could well win a medal.

So, France-Canada in the quarters. That should be tough from what I gathered :/

France is a heavy underdog here, sorry bud. Not impossible though, France has beaten them in the circuit before.

Canada played pretty poorly against us, you'll just have to hope they do the same again.

If by us you mean GB, then you're not giving your girls enough credit. The poor Canadian play was in no small part due to the good GB play.

CCS

Banned
France is a heavy underdog here, sorry bud. Not impossible though, France has beaten them in the circuit before.

If by us you mean GB, then you're not giving your girls enough credit. The poor Canadian play was in no small part due to the good GB play.

Oh yeah, I don't want to take away from our performance at all, we played fantastically! :)

thefro

Could have scored 2 tries and actually be leading. US Women's team has potential, but too inconsistent. Kind of like the men, but at least the men are performing at a higher level, thanks to Mike Friday.

I'd still like to see (on the men's side) how a whole team of American football QBs (with experience in running the option or spread option) would do in this thing after 3-4 years of training in sevens.

Kazerei

Banned
Re: Canada vs. Great Britain. Team GB's defense was solid and well organized. Unlike against Japan and Brazil, Canada couldn't simply pick holes in the defense or ram their way through. Meanwhile, Canada's defense made too many mistakes. I enjoyed watching the Canadian women cruise to a gold medal at last year's Pan Am Games, but now they're up against real competition.

I'd still like to see (on the men's side) how a whole team of American football QBs (with experience in running the option or spread option) would do in this thing after 3-4 years of training in sevens.

I have decided to come up with a team. You need more than just QBs. Realistically though, you'd have to get some athletes when they are young and/or athletic college players who won't make it to the NFL and can make the transition to RU. We do have a fledgling league, if it proves itself to be financially feasible, I can see some athletes making the transition.

I have decided to make a team to bring handball and Rugby VIIs gold to the US in 2020, while keeping this same Team USA National Basketball team. I don't really know the positions, so bear with me:

Handball, Lebron James at the right wing and Clayton Kershaw at the left wing. Andre Drummond and LaMarcus Alridge in the middle. Tim Howard at goal. Kawhi Leonard and Russel Westbrook round up the starting lineup. Anthony Davis, James Harden, Blake Griffin, Kenneth Faried coming off the bench.

Rugby VII, Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson in the wings, JJ Watts and Gronk as backs. Von Miller, Earl Thomas, Luke Kuechly round up the starting lineup. Odell Beckham Jr, Cam Newton, Russel Wilson, and Tim Tebow (he would make a good Rugby player) coming off the bench.

sikkinixx

I watched the Canada vs GB game on CBC. Still not a big rugby fan but I kind of dig the mini-game that it is. Huge fucking field, not many players and a super short time. My wife was shocked it was already over after like 20 minutes real-time.

In that game they dropped a shit load of passes though, is that common? Like the ball was covered in grease.

CCS

Banned
I watched the Canada vs GB game on CBC. Still not a big rugby fan but I kind of dig the mini-game that it is. Huge fucking field, not many players and a super short time. My wife was shocked it was already over after like 20 minutes real-time.

In that game they dropped a shit load of passes though, is that common? Like the ball was covered in grease.

A few drops happen, but not normally that many. Would expect fewer mistakes from Canada in future, they'll be disappointed with that.

CCS

Banned
Good odds of a Canada/Britain rematch for bronze I suspect, we should beat Fiji but I don't see us beating New Zealand.

CCS

Banned
Fantastic first half by GB, Fijian try was beautiful play but we've been great apart from that.

weekev

Banned
Fantastic first half by GB, Fijian try was beautiful play but we've been great apart from that.
Yep, especially impressed with our pace, any time we run at them it feels like we're gonna score. Look out All Blacks we are coming for you...
to be smartly sent packing, obviously

CCS

Banned
Yep, especially impressed with our pace, any time we run at them it feels like we're gonna score. Look out All Blacks we are coming for you...
to be smartly sent packing, obviously

I feel if we play like this we can give them a good game. We'll probably still lose, but it should hopefully be close.

weekev

Banned
We've played well so far, I reckon we can give it a good shot :)

EDIT: Just realised we have the best defence in the tournament currently.
Our speed is giving me hope. This has been clinical.
Edit, just been researching it. Looks like a semi vs Nz is better than having to beat Australia. Gives me a bit more hope. Also Clive Woodward is a giant asshat. Worth pointing that out even though it is blatantly obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom