• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rugby Sevens at the Olympics |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Booyeah! Sad I couldn't watch it live, but will have to settle for a replay tonight.

I have to say, 7's is now something to look forward too at the Summer Olympics from here on out.

amanset

Let's not forget 2005, when the All Blacks got all upset that they weren't allowed to do the Haka after the national anthems. It was 100 years since Wales first played the All Blacks, a match at which the Welsh sang their song after the Haka. And so, at a game in Wales, 100 years later they wanted to do the same thing.

And the All Blacks refused citing tradition.

So the Welsh pointed out that they are following how it was done 100 years ago.

And so the All Blacks got their knickers in a twist, refused to do it on the field and did it in the changing room instead.

It was pathetic and showed just how entitled the All Blacks had become.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/6187320.stm

Kazerei

Banned
Yassss! Rugby Sevens is gonna get real popular in Canada, I can feel it. Media will be talking about this bronze for the next three days as we suck at everything else :lol.

CCS

Banned
Yassss! Rugby Sevens is gonna get real popular in Canada, I can feel it. Media will be talking about this bronze for the next three days as we suck at everything else :lol.

That's one of the best things about sevens, the way it attracts new audiences.

Congrats to Canada btw!

Let's not forget 2005, when the All Blacks got all upset that they weren't allowed to do the Haka after the national anthems. It was 100 years since Wales first played the All Blacks, a match at which the Welsh sang their song after the Haka. And so, at a game in Wales, 100 years later they wanted to do the same thing.

And so the All Blacks got their knickers in a twist, refused to do it on the field and did it in the changing room instead.

Anti haka sentiment is just terrible. Its one of the greatest sporting traditions in the world. Wales were just trying to throw us off our game for no reason to try and finally beat us. If they wanted to sing a song during the haka then they'd be welcome.

Almost always seems to be salty brits that are against the haka.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Argh! Can't believe I missed the Women's Bronze Match.. So glad Canada won though!!! Especially considering how Britain did us in in the prelims

Curufinwe

Great performance by the Aussies.

The All Blacks are going to keep doing the haka and keep winning titles. You'll just have to make do with your bitterness.

Anti haka sentiment is just terrible. Its one of the greatest sporting traditions in the world. Wales were just trying to throw us off our game for no reason to try and finally beat us. If they wanted to sing a song during the haka then they'd be welcome.

Great performance by the Aussies.

The All Blacks are going to keep doing the haka and keep winning titles. You'll just have to make do with your bitterness.

Yep. Knickers twisted.

amanset

No one was stopping the All Blacks doing the Haka.

amanset

There's lots of sports out there, many of them England (coming from England that is the country I side with the most, followed by Scotland due to my Mum coming from there) have always been much, much better than New Zealand at. Including the World's most popular sport.

I can live with that.

And let's face it, it gets tiring to be good at all the sports you've invented and we've invented so, so many of the world's most popular sports.

BanGy.nz

Banned
Well this thread took a turn for the ridiculous, well done everyone involved. ��

Can't wait till the mens tournament to kicks off.

eiskaltnz

Good play by Australia. Really awesome to see 7s getting some action at the Olympics.

There's lots of sports out there, many of them England (coming from England that is the country I side with the most, followed by Scotland due to my Mum coming from there) have always been much, much better than New Zealand at. Including the World's most popular sport.

I can live with that.

And let's face it, it gets tiring to be good at all the sports you've invented and we've invented so, so many of the world's most popular sports.

I would hope a country with a population 10 times that of another is better in the sports they invented.

What sports are England much better than NZ at other than Football? Is England the best in the world in any sports anymore?

I can live with that.

The number of people playing union in England is almost bigger than the entire population of NZ. English bragging about sporting talent is pretty hilarious when NZ/AU regularly beat you at half of them and then the rest of the world beats you at the others.

CCS

Banned
This is just great :D https://twitter.com/LukeReddy/status/762793376949362688

One of #RioOlympics2016 helpers has just proposed to her partner - a player - on the pitch. She said yes. #Brazil

CpX8hnBWEAA-72L.jpg

I can live with that.

Wow. What a list to gloat about. Embarrassing.

Not really.

CCS

Banned
US lost to Argentina. Didn't watch the game, but I feel like medaling is out of the question now with Fiji in the group, IIRC.

NZ losing to JP? What's going on?

Meh, two third place teams qualify, all you need is a good win over Brazil and you should be fine :)

Great Japanese performance and NZ lost two players injured.

Meh, two third place teams qualify, all you need is a good win over Brazil and you should be fine :)

Great Japanese performance and NZ lost two players injured.

The men's team, while more consistent than the women's, is still surprisingly inconsistent and when the US plays against weaker teams, they tend to lower their level of play. That's how they lost to Brazil in 15s at the American Championship. Wouldn't be surprised with a close win or even a tie or loss to Brazil to be honest.

How did SBW do for NZ?

CCS

Banned
The men's team, while more consistent than the women's, is still surprisingly inconsistent and when the US plays against weaker teams, they tend to lower their level of play. That's how they lost to Brazil in 15s at the American Championship. Wouldn't be surprised with a close win or even a tie or loss to Brazil to be honest.

How did SBW do for NZ?

I guess we'll see.

He was one of the players who got injured :( tore his Achilles I think.

Terrible news for SBW. As much as I didn't want to see him win anything no-one can deny his fantastic talent and athletic ability.

Sooooooo, having never watched a game of rugby before today.... this is like my new favorite sport
basketball aside
. It has most of the things I like about soccer and football without most of the things I don't like. I've been glued to every minute they've aired so far.

Good shit.

CCS

Banned
Sooooooo, having never watched a game of rugby before today.... this is like my new favorite sport
basketball aside
. It has most of the things I like about soccer and football without most of the things I don't like. I've been glued to every minute they've aired so far.

Good shit.

I'm glad you've enjoyed it!

BanGy.nz

Banned
SBW injury is a massive problem not only for our sevens team but the All Blacks as well, we're still soft in the mid field at the moment. :(

Well done Japan.

CCS

Banned
Wew, survived that by a whisker.

Well done Japan!

EDIT: Great try by Kenya! Fun fact, Collins Injera is the highest try scorer of all time in the world sevens series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom