• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rugby Sevens at the Olympics |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodlife

Let's not forget 2005, when the All Blacks got all upset that they weren't allowed to do the Haka after the national anthems. It was 100 years since Wales first played the All Blacks, a match at which the Welsh sang their song after the Haka. And so, at a game in Wales, 100 years later they wanted to do the same thing.

And the All Blacks refused citing tradition.

So the Welsh pointed out that they are following how it was done 100 years ago.

And so the All Blacks got their knickers in a twist, refused to do it on the field and did it in the changing room instead.

It was pathetic and showed just how entitled the All Blacks had become.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/6187320.stm

In principle I don't have a problem with the Haka, it's a good watch, adds a bit of entertainment.
But fuck, NZ aren't half precious about it.

When there are playing at home, then it's up to them when they do it, its there show.

When they are playing away though, they should respect their hosts. And if their hosts want to sing after the Haka they should be allowed to without NZ going off in a strop.

Aussies beat Saffers 12 - 5.
Both teams look sharp but I don't understand the raft of replacements the South African coach made. It's a short game, fatigue isn't an issue, why complicate things?

Curufinwe

In principle I don't have a problem with the Haka, it's a good watch, adds a bit of entertainment.
But fuck, NZ aren't half precious about it.

When there are playing at home, then it's up to them when they do it, its there show.

When they are playing away though, they should respect their hosts. And if their hosts want to sing after the Haka they should be allowed to without NZ going off in a strop.

The hosts always want the All Blacks to do the haka because the crowds always want to see it.

Wales should worry more about trying to beat the All Blacks for the first time in 60 years and less about the pre game stuff.

CCS

Banned
Well, Kenya means they're not going to be last, how are third-placers looking in other groups?

Australia would be ahead of them, and so would the USA if they avoid being hammered by Fiji.

EDIT: Update, New Zealand will qualify if the US lose by 4 points or more.

mclem

EDIT: Update, New Zealand will qualify if the US lose by 4 points or more.

At the risk of being cynical, isn't it in Fiji's best interest to keep the margin low, then? I assume Fiji still wants to win, but I assume they don't benefit from any win margin in their favour?

CCS

Banned
At the risk of being cynical, isn't it in Fiji's best interest to keep the margin low, then? I assume Fiji still wants to win, but I assume they don't benefit from any win margin in their favour?

I'm not sure, once the teams that make it through have been determined I'm not sure how the draw for the quarters works.

gutshot

So is the US out then? I assume two 3rd place teams will go through and Australia is definitely one. Is New Zealand the other?

America really fucked it up at the end of the first half.

If you watched them in the circuit, that's par for the course. Lots of silly mistakes and fouls. Being scored on during a power play happens quite a bit. This exact team has beaten Fiji, NZ, Australia, South Africa, England, etc and also lost to Kenya, Argentina, Canada. Mike Friday has touched on this. The team can beat anyone, but also lose to anyone as well.

So is the US out then? I assume two 3rd place teams will go through and Australia is definitely one. Is New Zealand the other?

US is out, NZ will play Fiji in the quarters. Would have been interesting to see if the final score was 23-19 (though that's an unlikely score). Reason for it is, if that happened, the US and NZ would have tied for wins/losses, points for, points against, and points differential. They probably would have flipped a coin to see who would advance.

CCS

Banned
Wow, hats off for Japan. So pleased for them.

Won't even be mad if they ended up beating us out for a medal.

Timbuktu

Wow, hats off for Japan. So pleased for them.

Won't even be mad if they ended up beating us out for a medal.

Great to get the rugby scene going there. Rugby World Cup in 2019 and then another olympics after that. Their win over South Africa was probably game of the tournament last World Cup and a bit unfair they didn't get out of the group.

BanGy.nz

Banned
Gordon Teitjens is about to get wrecked by the New Zealand public, poor guy is going to return home and walk into a buzzsaw.

CCS

Banned
HOW DRAMATIC WAS THAT!!!!

Bloody hell. Thank god for that.

Commiserations to Argentina, they fought fantastically.

Test Match Cricket, the only one that counts.

Yes, I'm a purist.

You're only ranked one spot above us in Test cricket, that's not "much better." Meanwhile, we're also number 2 in the world at ODI cricket (behind Aus) and number one at T20Is. So like I said, not really. :p

Great to get the rugby scene going there. Rugby World Cup in 2019 and then another olympics after that. Their win over South Africa was probably game of the tournament last World Cup and a bit unfair they didn't get out of the group.

The good thing is they've picked up a fantastic coach to replace Eddie Jones in Jamie Joseph, who in four years managed to take the Highlanders from a bottom of the table joke to winning a Super Rugby championship. They still need to sort out their Super Rugby team, which has been plagued with mismanagement by the JRU (they appointed a coach only months before the comp started, struggled to fill their squad, never bothered to get the corporations who run their domestic scene on their side, etc) but Japan are very promising.

Gordon Teitjens is about to get wrecked by the New Zealand public, poor guy is going to return home and walk into a buzzsaw.

Oh god. It's amazing how quickly people are willing to forget about the 22 years of incredible success Titch has brought the NZ sevens team and jump on his one failure. The man is a legend, one of our best coaches of all time and should be treated as such.

Personally, I think he bears some responsibility but most of it should be on the NZRU, who I don't think gave him enough resources. Even with the Olympics coming up, they never really treated Sevens anywhere near as seriously as we treated those first few Commonwealth Games appearances. It just didn't seem to be a priority.

weekev

Banned
I feel like Im in a win win with the gold medal match. I am British but I'm also really pulling for Fiji, thier first ever olympic medal. Fantastic stuff, hope its close.

CCS

Banned
I feel like Im in a win win with the gold medal match. I am British but I'm also really pulling for Fiji, thier first ever olympic medal. Fantastic stuff, hope its close.

I'm exactly the same, honestly not sure who I want to win.

weekev

Banned
Fiji players are all like big hulking muscles that can run. Britain look amateur in comparison. Need to keep the ball to get back into it but they dont look capable of breaking through thline. Fiji are ripping it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
UhhDrXZ.jpg

Clegg

I see Nakarawa is having his way with GB. Unlucky they caught him in a good day.

Not joking though when I say he can fall to pieces at any given second. The only player I know that can go from world class to utter, utter calamity all in the space of 5 minutes.

CCS

Banned
Does Fiji just not like other formats of the game as much?

They don't suit them as well, they tend to struggle at the set piece and the ruck. Also most other countries focus on the 15 a side game more whereas Fiji is the reverse.

Timbuktu

They don't suit them as well, they tend to struggle at the set piece and the ruck. Also most other countries focus on the 15 a side game more whereas Fiji is the reverse.

I just wonder if the All Blacks suck up all the talented Fiji players in those formats. It always feels like the discipline, organisation and set piece skills needed can be coached and less about the raw talent.

CCS

Banned
I just wonder if the All Blacks suck up all the talented Fiji players in those formats. It always feels like the discipline and set piece skills needed can be coached and less about the raw talent.

That accusation certainly used to levelled at them a lot, but it's less true these days. The Pacific island nations do have a big problem with foreign based players switching allegiance, e.g. Manu Tuilagi and the Vunipolas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom