• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rugby Sevens at the Olympics |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
McAlister - Woodman won this game for NZ. That and the try saving foul and constant fucking up for the US. If the girls played against Fiji how they played against NZ and Australia, they probably would have played Spain instead of NZ in the Quarters. Lesson learned.

Kazerei

Banned
Semifinal 1: Australia vs. Canada
Semifinal 2: Great Britain vs. New Zealand

Looking forward to women's rugby sevens at the 2018 Commonwealth Games :)

obin_gam

Really good plays here in the first semi. Although the canadians can't seem to actually catch or hold the ball.

darscot

This was surprisingly good to watch, I flipped between this and gymnastics with an occasional flip over to the pool all weekend. This is looks like an amazing start to a real program here in Canada, we will get a lot better.

sikkinixx

The NZ team is like twice the size of the British team.

Also, is it really hard to punt a rugby ball? They never seem to get the extra two point.

CCS

Banned
Great try! Britain have been excellent so far, deserved that!

The NZ team is like twice the size of the British team.

Also, is it really hard to punt a rugby ball? They never seem to get the extra two point.

It's pretty easy to place kick which they do in the full game, but in sevens when drop kicking the ball has to hit the ground before you kick it which makes things harder.

It's a dropkick, so it's a little awkward (you let the ball drop and kick it off the bounce), but there's been some pretty poor kicking. In normal Rugby Union they tee the ball up on a little plastic thing; I don't know why they don't do it in Sevens.

Good on the Brits for managing a try against NZ.

CCS

Banned
It's a dropkick, so it's a little awkward (you let the ball drop and kick it off the bounce), but there's been some pretty poor kicking. In normal Rugby Union they tee the ball up on a little plastic thing; I don't know why they don't do it in Sevens.

Not allowed because it takes up too much time.

LTWheels

Can't bring myself to watch the second half now.

I do think the second is a bad call from the ref. There is a difference between tackling someone in the air and the attacker jumping into the defender. What else if the defending player suppose to do? Let her score?

obin_gam

Themiscyra is New Zealand confirmed
Portia+Woodman+Rugby+Olympics+Day+1+8F5yDk-TSYMl.jpg

CCS

Banned
Can't bring myself to watch the second half now.

I do think the second is a bad call from the ref. There is a difference between tackling someone in the air and the attacker jumping into the defender. What else if the defending player suppose to do? Let her score?

It would be illegal by the attacker if she had the ball when she jumped, but if you're jumping to catch you can't be touched in the air.

jackal27

Banned
I had never seen a single Rugby game until the other day when the women were playing and now it's probably my favorite sport. I can't believe how fast and ferocious it is! Dang!

Hopefully we'll get a Haka in the final. I know Sevens is all about getting in and out as quickly as possible, but surely the audience can spare another couple of minutes for the first Gold medal match in Olympic history :p

Hopefully we'll get a Haka in the final. I know Sevens is all about getting in and out as quickly as possible, but surely the audience can spare another couple of minutes for the first Gold medal match in Olympic history :p

I think they need to do away with the Haka in XVs. I might be mistaken and other countries do it, but why is NZ the only one doing something like that and other countries don't do something similar? It's weird.

I think they need to do away with the Haka in XVs. I might be mistaken and other countries do it, but why is NZ the only one doing something like that and other countries don't do something similar? It's weird.

We've been doing it for over a hundred years at this point, it's tradition.

NZ aren't the only country that does something like it, Tonga does the Sipi Tau, Samoa does the Siva Tau and Fiji does the Cibi. And on a local level, most NZ high schools have their own school haka's, which their 1st XV teams usually perform before their games.

azyless

It makes me sad that I likely won't get to ever see these women play again until the next olympics :/ I think the 7 minutes halves are a bit too short but aside from that it's a really entertaining sport.

CCS

Banned
It makes me sad that I likely won't get to ever see these women play again until the next olympics :/ I think the 7 minutes halves are a bit too short but aside from that it's a really entertaining sport.

There's a women's tour now, it's smaller than the men's but you should be able to watch that :)

Fiji, Samoa, and Tonga all do a similar war dance.

We've been doing it for over a hundred years at this point, it's tradition.

NZ aren't the only country that does something like it, Tonga does the Sipi Tau, Samoa does the Siva Tau and Fiji does the Cibi. And on a local level, most NZ high schools have their own school haka's, which their 1st XV teams usually perform before their games.

Every country should be able to do it then. Didn't France or someone complain about that at the last Rugby World Cup? IMO, you need to have the same rules for everybody.

Ah, I'll look it up, thanks.

It is also free to watch, at least in the US. The men's side is more exciting IMO, so check that out as well. They will begin play tomorrow, I think.

CCS

Banned
Every country should be able to do it then. Didn't France or someone complain about that at the last Rugby World Cup? IMO, you need to have the same rules for everybody.

It is also free to watch, at least in the US. The men's side is more exciting IMO, so check that out as well. They will begin play tomorrow, I think.

They could, if they had a war dance to do.

If the poms want to walk up and look like idiots, no-one's stopping them. Australia once tried to do something involving Aboriginals but it was lame, so they dropped it.

And no, I don't remember France complaining about it last year. They complained about the fine they received in 2011 for advancing too close to the haka but that's about all I remember. Not to say some members of the NH press don't complain about it but they're usually the same people who complain about how many brown people we have in our team...

Anyway, fantastic work from Canada. Really dealing to GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom