• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

StuBurns

Banned
lowrider007 said:
I don't think we need to start trading in our 3DS's yet, well, not unless a new system is coming soon.
Indeed, I still imagine this is a MonHon specific thing. If they announce it's not at their pre-TGS thing though, I'm out.

Tiktaalik

I still refuse to believe this is true. I mean at this point I'm on the cusp of buying a 3DS and if they announce this bizarre add on then I'll absolutely wait until an actual proper revision. Nintendo would be absolutely killing their sales if they release this thing.

Zeal

Banned
Blows my mind even more that Nintendo is still trying to salvage the 3DS, instead of admitting it was a huge fuckup and move on.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I don't know what to say really. People were so sure tat it was bogus that they called everyone who even entertained the thought "idiot," and called for the banning of 01net at every chance they get. I wasn't one of those people, but I was sure agree with them.

I don't like any of this at all. I hope it gets debunked sooner rather than later.

Now, time to read the thread from the beginning and have some free laughs.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
StuBurns said:
Indeed, I still imagine this is a MonHon specific thing. If they announce it's not at their pre-TGS thing though, I'm out.

I'm with you on that, with maybe a few games that 'might' support the peripheral in the future.

Snakeyes

Just scrap the 3DS altogether and give every owner a $150 credit towards a powerful, folding, tablet-with-buttons-like DS2.

Mlatador

Banned
how the fuck are they going to radically "town down" the "3D". it's already optional. also "radically" - WHAT DOES IT MEAN???????

Rikkun

DCharlie said:
all those people asking for 01net to become a banned site or calling them out for bullshitting : please form an orderly line so you can express your deepest shame at your wrongness.
hmm, I could start shouting rumours right now.

I say five things, and half will be true.

Then you'll have to believe everything I say, right? And express your deepest shame at your wrongness.

I say Majora's Mask port, Nintendo going third party, GTAV coming on iOS, Microsoft developing a new handheld, Fatal Frame 5 Nintendo exclusive.

lowrider007 said:
I'm with you on that, with maybe a few games that 'might' support the peripheral in the future.
This is probably the "solution" for left handed gamers so that they can play Kid Icarus 3DS.

Peagles said:
My thoughts exactly. I'm sure changing g to c doesn't help :/

If this add-on thing is for real, I don't really know how I feel yet. If it's just for MH, then it could work a bit like the Guitar Hero thingy for DS, but if it's going to be forever, I think I'll just upgrade to a revision when it's available.
I don't see how/why they would keep the Dual Analog attachment only for one game. I'm thinking though games will be required to still be playable with one analog nub it would just play really shitty. Either way like I said at the beggining when I read through this I was skeptical and didn't really see the point now. However, I never saw it as a massive betraylton by Nintendo(not any worse than CC and Wii Motion+ at least) and saw that it could happen. Oh well I guess I'll have to deal with an ugly 3DS hopefully it includes a battery pack.

Zeal said:
Blows my mind even more that Nintendo is still trying to salvage the 3DS, instead of admitting it was a huge fuckup and move on.
That would be a catastrophe and destroy their brand. While I don't agree with the action they're taking now, they're in too deep to just say "eh, fuckit! NEXT!"

BY2K

Membero Americo
chickdigger802 said:
Am I the only one doing this?

Staring at my 3ds with a confused look.

refreshing the internet.

It's actually looking back at me. The front cameras are giving me a weird look.

SHE KNOWS.

Azure J

3DS was mostly spearheaded by a developer right? Well, I know one guy who's never getting "keys to develop new Nintendo hardware" again. Really, there's been too much coming to light about this system's downsides and for Nintendo to react to them with fixes versus making content that makes the system worthwhile shows that 3DS needed more time in the oven as a concept.

On the bright side, some part of me is really happy to see Nintendo being this scrappy/ballsy with the speed of these fixes/acknowledgement that all because it's there doesn't mean it can be improved upon. I'm also feeling just a little sorry for the early adopters now.

upandaway

Gunloc said:
This is probably the "solution" for left handed gamers so that they can play Kid Icarus 3DS.
I wonder if they can make it that with every game that doesn't support it, the second analog will work as the first by default?

Duxxy3 said:
Just think - you can probably get $100 at gamestop for your 3DS towards a Vita!!
I can see Gamestop and some other stores pulling something like this.

All I can say is I'm glad I'm not a 3DS early adopter.

turd-polish.jpg

1-D_FTW

Mlatador said:
how the fuck are they going to radically "town down" the "3D". it's already optional. also "radically" - WHAT DOES IT MEAN???????

The slider moves the focal point to increase the depth. They could make the current 50 percent level be the new 100 percent level so winos won't complain about it being blurry and out of focus. Would that kill the 3D effect (since it's already really subtle on such a small screen)? Sure. But it could be done. And would kind of kill the 3D without really having to admit defeat. Heck, I'm sure if they made the new 100 percent only be 25 percent strength of the old model, nobody would have issues when demoing it in stores.

Why would they do this besides winos? Check out the new kiosk demos. They go to great pains to explain things. You can't even play the 3 game demos until you acknowledge the 3D slider directions by moving it. 3D has become a marketing issue for them because people don't understand the slider, crank it to 100 percent, and get an awful first impression.

Delio

This close to trading in my 3DS if all this stuff is true. I'll just wait for the real system with the two slide pads :/.

Key2001

Does it expand the sides of the 3DS on both sides? If not, how will this effect the 3DS with the screen being off center? and won't be uncomfortable to hold with one side being bulkier than the other?

pramath

Banned
Does this say ANYTHING about a redesign?
I'd abide the analog slider announcement, that's okay, but if there's a revision, I am officially done with Nintendo forever.

Top Bottom