• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

guek

Banned
40037.jpg

Snakeyes

pramath said:
Does this say ANYTHING about a redesign?
I'd abide the analog slider announcement, that's okay, but if there's a revision, I am officially done with Nintendo forever.

Why? The slider attachment will give your 3DS all the functionality of the revision.

ElFly

Lord_Byron28 said:
I don't see how/why they would keep the Dual Analog attachment only for one game. I'm thinking though games will be required to still be playable with one analog nub it would just play really shitty. Either way like I said at the beggining when I read through this I was skeptical and didn't really see the point now. However, I never saw it as a massive betraylton by Nintendo(not any worse than CC and Wii Motion+ at least) and saw that it could happen. Oh well I guess I'll have to deal with an ugly 3DS hopefully it includes a battery pack.

Someone has not been paying attention to every nintendo add-on ever.

walking fiend said:
if true, it may come as a bundle with MH.
still, makes you wonder what was Nintendo thinking when they didn't include it in the first place.
Probably didn't want it to be more expensive then it already was. the system itself would also be bigger, which would probably lead to a bigger battery, which would be a good thing but would also make the system more expensive.

pramath

Banned
Snakeyes said:
Why? The slider attachment will give your 3DS all the functionality of the revision.
Because it means they can't get their shit right the first time, and that being an early adopter for their hardware is basically amounting to being punished heavily.

Ocaso

Zeal said:
Blows my mind even more that Nintendo is still trying to salvage the 3DS, instead of admitting it was a huge fuckup and move on.

Huge fuck-up? Talk about hyperbole. It's not the system that's flawed. It's a solid hardware upgrade with a spectacularly novel display technology. It was overpriced at launch (which has been fixed) and has a limited number of high-profile games (which will be fixed by Christmas). The lack of a second analog sucks, but is hardly a death blow to the console given that it still has a second form of analog input (i.e. the touch screen). I think a better upgrade would have been a capacitive touch screen that could function better as a trackpad rather than an attachable analog pad, but if this is the direction they're going then so be it. It's a great little console, it deserves to be succesful, and it probably will be in the end.

StuBurns

Banned
walking fiend said:
if true, it may come as a bundle with MH.
still, makes you wonder what was Nintendo thinking when they didn't include it in the first place.
Including it with MonHon seems like the plan, but it's going to raise the price. Having a MonHon with better content but an awful add-on that costs a premium starts to actually seem worse than the rumoured PSV MonHon I imagine.

This seems like the biggest way to fuck up getting MonHon on 3DS to me.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
pramath said:
Because it means they can't get their shit right the first time, and that being an early adopter for their hardware is basically amounting to being punished heavily.
But the add on says that already, a revision wouldn't make it worse. Hell, a revision is inevitable, just like with DS/PSP, and a revision not including it would be worse for them.

Seda

A bit more from Andriasang.

Andriasang said:
A release is planned for the end of the year, Famitsu reports.

Regarding the slide controller attachment, the configuration apparently looks like this:

KvFrl.jpg

The slide pad itself is said to look identical to the system's current slide pad. The magazine lists the release date and price as both TBA.

Famitsu's report on the slide pad attachment appears to be in the form of a news story. This probably means that Nintendo will make an official announcement either today or tomorrow (when the magazine actually hits retail).

so, 01.net vindicated again after all GAF's ridicule...

On the actual news, the 2nd analog device on 3DS is a very good thing, anyway. Not sure why Nintendo was so dumb as to not include it in the first place.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Well....Gameboy name is good so bring it back for the 3DS relaunch.

StickSoldier said:
Lol, this is what I think of when they say next to the face buttons... =\

I think it will be a piece that clip on and cover the entire right side of the 3DS.

Arklite

Didn't Monster Hunter on the Wii also come bundled with that "classic" controller?
I'm liking their "forget your gimmicks, use these actual controls" stance so far.

Ocaso said:
Huge fuck-up? Talk about hyperbole. It's not the system that's flawed. It's a solid hardware upgrade with a spectacularly novel display technology. It was overpriced at launch (which has been fixed) and has a limited number of high-profile games (which will be fixed by Christmas). The lack of a second analog sucks, but is hardly a death blow to the console given that it still has a second form of analog input (i.e. the touch screen). I think a better upgrade would have been a capacitive touch screen that could function better as a trackpad rather than an attachable analog pad, but if this is the direction they're going then so be it. It's a great little console, it deserves to be succesful, and it probably will be in the end.

Capacitive touchscreens are gross. I hate how they feel on my fingers.

pramath

Banned
Alextended said:
But the add on says that already, a revision wouldn't make it worse.
Yes, but the add on also means that something I just spent $249 on barely half a year ago is not exactly outdated- it may just lack a peripheral, but it is as functionally up to date as every other 3DS on the market.
Now if there were a revision, however...

Kurod

Banned
StickSoldier said:
Lol, this is what I think of when they say next to the face buttons... =\

10wi9ld.gif

Ugh. I see all this empty space below the face buttons. Why not have the attachment rest there? Sure it will be a bit smaller than the left slider but that shouldn't be an issue. Also, if it's a cradle there could be a bit of extra fluff resting on the left side raised up to match the slider. Together they could double as a means to prevent the screens from scratching each other.

That's...a lot of hoops to jump through to get Monster Hunter on 3DS. Not a port beg since I don't care about the series, but someone should let Capcom know there was another handheld that already had a second stick lulz.

Mlatador

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
The slider moves the focal point to increase the depth. They could make the current 50 percent level be the new 100 percent level so winos won't complain about it being blurry and out of focus. Would that kill the 3D effect (since it's already really subtle on such a small screen)? Sure. But it could be done. And would kind of kill the 3D without really having to admit defeat. Heck, I'm sure if they made the new 100 percent only be 25 percent strength of the old model, nobody would have issues when demoing it in stores.

Why would they do this besides winos? Check out the new kiosk demos. They go to great pains to explain things. You can't even play the 3 game demos until you acknowledge the 3D slider directions by moving it. 3D has become a marketing issue for them because people don't understand the slider, crank it to 100 percent, and get an awful first impression.

Thanks, good thoughts! Yeah, I think lots of ppl got a wrong impression by adjusting the 3D to 100 %. That could very well be true.

Red Blaster said:
That's...a lot of hoops to jump through to get Monster Hunter on 3DS. Not a port beg since I don't care about the series, but someone should let Capcom know there was another handheld that already had a second stick lulz.
Nintendo probably wanted Monster Hunter, so maybe they actually bought this game (surprise), and Capcom said "NOPE, well unless of course you add a second circle pad. We don't care how, just do it, or no MH for you. lol."

chickdigger802 said:
Really love to see what's going on at Sony HQ.

This atmosphere... how do you describe it with words?

We're in deep shit? Especially if the one they are getting on Vita is that same MP3HD they released couple weeks ago. I mean the holidays can't be bad for Ninty, Mario Kart 7 would be coming out and then Monster Hunter?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
hmm, I could start shouting rumours right now.

I say five things, and half will be true.

Then you'll have to believe everything I say, right? And express your deepest shame at your wrongness.

I say Majora's Mask port, Nintendo going third party, GTAV coming on iOS, Microsoft developing a new handheld, Fatal Frame 5 Nintendo exclusive.

.... and your right one is as leftfield as the add on?

Beth Cyra

PounchEnvy said:
Haha that looks terrible. On one hand it seems too stupid to be logical but it makes a lot of sense that the same company releasing this addition would also be pleased with this.
If this is true, which it seems to be then there is no way Nintnedo is pleased with this.

You can bet that Iwata is doing this because it's the worst case senario and he really believes he has to do it.

Amir0x

Banned
The rumour from that list that has got everything else right is also that Vita is getting a Monster Hunter 3rd HD as a launch game, so Sony has got Monster Hunter too.

The problem remains price.

Kyoufu said:
Yeah, Sony is absolutely fucked by a holiday release of an MH with new content on the 3DS.
Especially if the MH they are getting is just a port of MH3P lol

Competition is good, this gen is shaping up to be interesting.

Guys, what if (just hear me out), what if this is actually a third party stick, so not made at Nintendo, but Nintendo is supporting it?
lol, yeah right.
You never know.

Just realized something. The past few days of incredious news has pretty much planted Nintendo as the king of japan for winter and probably 2012.

MonHun 3ds. DQX wii/wiiU (who cares about the quality, this will sell... alot). Love plus 2.

A perfect knockout combo.

WillyFive

IceDoesntHelp said:
Guys, what if (just hear me out), what if this is actually a third party stick, so not made at Nintendo, but Nintendo is supporting it?
lol, yeah right.
You never know.

I don't remember the uDraw getting this much attention.

pramath

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Yeah, Sony is absolutely fucked by a holiday release of an MH with new content on the 3DS.
It doesn't matter if Sony is fucked or not.
What matters is, Nintendo fucked up really badly with the 3DS if there is indeed a revision. In fact, even this second slider bullshit? Way to stick to your guns, Nintendo.

Amir0x said:
The rumour from that list that has got everything else right is also that Vita is getting a Monster Hunter 3rd HD as a launch game, so Sony has got Monster Hunter too.

And the fact there's nothing else so far other than the third port of a Monster Hunter game and some ports of niche games.

Kyoufu

Amir0x said:

Nah, the problem is why would I go for an MH I can already and probably have played on 2 other systems or a game with new content on 3DS (which as you say is cheaper than Vita).

Sony must not be very happy.

Beth Cyra

Amir0x said:

I really don't agree that Portable 3rdHD will make as big a splash as a Portable Tri G even if the prices were inline between 3DS and Vita.

Top Bottom