• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

Grisby

Busaiku said:
Even with Color, that's only 3 (including the Japan only Gameboy Light).

I'm just saying that Nintendo always comes up with a new design for their handhelds. They've constantly redesigned their hardware more then any other company I know of. Not a bad thing by any means.

Boney said:
It made me giddy when I saw it, seeing they're returning to Lin's universe, and with 2 games at that.

Then I remember that until they rework the level up system I'm done with the franchise.

The rumor is bullshit BTW.

The level up system is perfect for people who likes strategy and not "strategy where I level up and plow enemies to the ground with my superior stats".

goldenpp72

Serenade said:
PSP has 5 now.

To be fair, the psp revisions were pretty minor in comparison to the ones nintendo has done. I own a psp 2000 and have no desire to go from there, where as each nintendo upgrade aside from the dsi was pretty significant.

mikeGFG

Banned
Branduil said:
The question is, what do you do with the people who supported your "failure" and are now stuck with a gimped system?

make them buy another one with a colorscreen/biggerscreen/smallerscreen/dualscreen.

this is what nintendo does. like annually.

Branduil said:
The question is, what do you do with the people who supported your "failure" and are now stuck with a gimped system?

And the fact is, a lot of people are going to buy it this holiday season for the Mario titles, particularly Mario Kart. Nintendo could abort the 3DS in favor of a new model with features like dual analog, but if Iwata thought that the drastic 3DS price drop risked damaging consumers' trust, well... that would be nothing by comparison.

EDIT: Well, unless they did what Effect suggests and gave a free DS2 to all 3DS owners, which is possibly even less realistic than the original rumor.

GaussTek

Effect said:
Just going to repost what I said in the other thread and add some more.

Nintendo loves their attachments but there is just no place to connect something like this. Nintendo wouldn't come out with a new model that included one because that would be a PR disaster. Something that clearly don't want with how they've tried to cut off any negativity with the price drop by coming up with the Ambassador program. Going with a new model that had a new control scheme or launching a new model under a new name would fly in the face of what they've just did. It would kill any good well or more importantly trust making the Wii U an even harder sell. You could forget about early adopters going for a new model or even the Wii U at that point. People would truly feel screwed over by Nintendo, never to trust them for a long time. They've already seen they can't just do anything, slap the Nintendo name on it, and expect it to sell. This, if true, would simply hurt them long term.

Now if they give this out for free to everyone that calls in and gives them their serial number. who doesn't own a model with this made. Maybe this works but that is a huge maybe.

In the end I find it hard to believe. This would be a disaster for Nintendo.

This.

Instro

Cow Mengde said:
I'm surprised nobody posted the Fire Emblem 3DS rumor.
Eh the source on that is pretty weak by comparison to this, and it doesnt seem right that they would release dual versions like they do with Pokemon.

Mike G.E.D. said:
make them buy another one with a colorscreen/biggerscreen/smallerscreen/dualscreen.

I bought a launch GBA and a launch DS...
I was able to play every retail game for each system that came out.

we.are.the.armada said:
This would be great! Dual analogs are probably one of the best design choices for control/camera in gaming.
Unless you want to press the face buttons and control the camera at the same time, in which case you're shit outta luck.

Branduil

Mike G.E.D. said:

When the DS Lite came out, it did not have additional buttons that made my DS Phat obsolete.

ok, like 99% of this thread already stated, this is BS. There is no way Nintendo is pouring more R&D into the 3DS ATM unless it's for a standard revision. there is no way a second slider makes an appearance without scrubbing the 3DS completely.

watershed

Banned
nincompoop said:
Unless you want to press the face buttons and control the camera at the same time, in which case you're shit outta luck.
As if any game developer would ever create such a conundrum!

goldenpp72 said:
To be fair, the psp revisions were pretty minor in comparison to the ones nintendo has done. I own a psp 2000 and have no desire to go from there, where as each nintendo upgrade aside from the dsi was pretty significant.

yeah like making your games incompatible with the latest revisions

1000 to 2000 was exactly the same thing as DS to DSL. DSi was a downgrade, and DSi XL was to fill a niche market. None of them should have driven anyone to buy a new upgrade.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
goldenpp72 said:

DSi was very significant. Cameras, new OS, video chat, DSiWare (which is still being developed for today.)

daffy

Banned
Outre la baisse de prix prématurée et l'annonce du programme « ambassadeurs 3DS » (20 jeux gratuits sur Virtual Console), Iwata a récemment déclaré que Nintendo accepterait désormais des titres totalement dépourvus de fonctions 3D sur sa nouvelle portable. Comme un parfum de capitulation dans l'air…
Yeah.... time to bailout. I can't read this anymore. I'm gonna watch Adventure Time.
Andrex said:
10 pages? That's all you think this is gonna get? :p
Yeah..... no. Love is over pokemon thread maker.

Love is over. Disappointed in this blatant sensationalism.

Emitan

Littlegator said:
yeah like making your games incompatible with the latest revisions

1000 to 2000 was exactly the same thing as DS to DSL. DSi was a downgrade, and DSi XL was to fill a niche market. None of them should have driven anyone to buy a new upgrade.
DSL added more RAM?

Lonely1 said:
8yaSu.jpg

That's my idea. And wouldnt be that bad, imo. It can even solve the scratching issue if done properly.

Seems possible, but I'm not sure it would bring around the left handed Kid Icarus fans who want to use the touch screen and right analog at the same time.

AceBandage said:
Even then, outside of DSiWare, you didn't NEED one to play any of the games. (At least in the West)

Huh? Of course there are retail DSi only games in the west. Not tons of them but they do exist.

Grinchy

Banned
nincompoop said:
That's one of the reasons I was so blown away by the Razer Hydra when I saw it used for Portal 2.

L00P

I was going to buy a 3DS soon because of the price drop, but maybe I should wait. Again.

No way I'm paying for a system that's gonna be dead next year

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
FTH said:
Yeah.... time to bailout. I can't read this anymore. I'm gonna watch Adventure Time.

Yeah..... no. Love is over pokemon thread maker.

Love is over. Disappointed in this blatant sensationalism.

Love is never over! We will overcome!! :(

An analog stick adapter would be unwieldy. The peripheral might be supported as well as Motion +. A redesign would (once again) screw early adopters. A relaunch with a new name would (once again) harm the brand that they've tried to save.

This makes me think they're going to do it.

Boney

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
The rumor is bullshit BTW.

The level up system is perfect for people who likes strategy and not "strategy where I level up and plow enemies to the ground with my superior stats".
Yeah I know it's bullshit.

I just hate being screwed over by range and having crappy characters, or the opposite at times, having a beast character that can power through everything. Plus, there's no easy way to integrate your reserve characters in case one of your units die 'cause they'll be level 4 when your units are already promoted.

They should change it to allow higher stats that although can be swayed by range shouldn't work in a binary way.

And a pet peeve of mine, but not really a huge issue is having bench characters all the time. Stamina should make a comeback, or just have higher scale battles, where you see more characters die I guess.

Codeblue said:
Wait, what? Screw the hardware redesign! Fire Emblem would validate my $250 purchase a million times over.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27775&view=findpost&p=1672309

Here you go.

I just hate being screwed over by range and having crappy characters, or the opposite at times, having a beast character that can power through everything. Plus, there's no easy way to integrate your reserve characters in case one of your units die 'cause they'll be level 4 when your units are already promoted.

They should change it to allow higher stats that although can be swayed by range shouldn't work in a binary way.

And a pet peeve of mine, but not really a huge issue is having bench characters all the time. Stamina should make a comeback, or just have higher scale battles, where you see more characters die I guess.

Use the tactic I've always been taught to use. Ditch anyone that aren't growing well no matter how much you love them. Use your characters efficiently and not some bias over how much you love their character.

spons

Gold Member
ZoddGutts said:
Did Nintendo ever explained as to why the 3DS didn't get a 2nd analog stick?
Gamers don't want it. Just like a decent online service is completely irrelevant.

GaussTek

L00P said:
I was going to buy a 3DS soon because of the price drop, but maybe I should wait. Again.

No way I'm paying for a system that's gonna be dead next year

After reading this post, I think this rumor was made by someone that wants to screw Nintendo really bad lol

Tuck

ZoddGutts said:
Did Nintendo ever explained as to why the 3DS didn't get a 2nd analog stick?

Miyamoto didn't want it because he figured touch screen/accelerometers would do the job. Or something like that.

Yeah.

topramen

You really don't think they have a back up plan if the 3DS doesn't pick up sales. As bs as the rumor probably is, they Habve to be scrambling to come up with a replacement

Duxxy3

My guess if this turns out true:

DS2
Same internals except the 3D pieces
Second analog stick
Matte finish
No 3D
under $150
3DS discontinued in early 2012

Top Bottom