• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

L00P

The right analog thing is just plain dumb. They should have just included it in the first place. Nintendo basically admitted that the 3DS is gimped. I seriously hope this report is not true

Codeblue

Cow Mengde said:
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27775&view=findpost&p=1672309

Here you go.

Use the tactic I've always been taught to use. Ditch anyone that aren't growing well no matter how much you love them. Use your characters efficiently and not some bias over how much you love their character.

Thanks dude. Doesn't seem very credible.

I'd rather they go to a new universe, or at least stay away from Blazing Sword's world. That was my least favorite of the English releases aside from the Shadow Dragon remake. I probably would buy two versions of it if that meant different maps or being able to play as the opposite team on a given map.

Edit: I only use characters I like, hardest mode, no deaths. By the end I'm always destroying the maps if I've raised my units right.

onipex

TheExecutive said:
ok, like 99% of this thread already stated, this is BS. There is no way Nintendo is pouring more R&D into the 3DS ATM unless it's for a standard revision. there is no way a second slider makes an appearance without scrubbing the 3DS completely.

I agree that it is BS but Nintendo is always working on hardware. This rumor likely came from that. They likely have or are working on a backup incase the 3DS fails. This is nothing new as it is where the super gameboy rumors came from when the DS launched.

PowderedToast

ZoddGutts said:
Did Nintendo ever explained as to why the 3DS didn't get a 2nd analog stick?
as i mentioned earlier, i read that it had something to do with confusing and overwhelming consumers. a lot of the 'casual' market can struggle with the concept of dual analogue so they dropped it. no source, though. (so i may be pulling this from my arse)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SwiftSketcher said:
Then again, this is a world where Nintendo released the Wii Motion+ and got away with it. This would take it to the next level.

Eh MotionPlus came out almost three years after the Wii did, and after several other peripherals like the Balance Board too. I don't think the situations are comparable.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
goldenpp72 said:
To be fair, the psp revisions were pretty minor in comparison to the ones nintendo has done. I own a psp 2000 and have no desire to go from there, where as each nintendo upgrade aside from the dsi was pretty significant.
2000 got double the ram. 3000 got a microphone. Go had the UMD drive taken away and the new Europe-only version has no Wi-fi and monaural sound output.

As I recall some newer games don't perform optimally on the 1000 model either.

Comparing those to a change in aesthetics, screen brightness and battery life, they seem fairly significant.

jman2050

SwiftSketcher said:
Then again, this is a world where Nintendo released the Wii Motion+ and got away with it. This would take it to the next level.

You mean the world where Nintendo released a peripheral for a device that was specifically designed and engineered to use peripherals to augment itself, right?

Boney

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27775&view=findpost&p=1672309

Here you go.

Use the tactic I've always been taught to use. Ditch anyone that aren't growing well no matter how much you love them. Use your characters efficiently and not some bias over how much you love their character.
It's still a pain in the ass. Like, I'm gonna want to use a swordmaster, and if the first one isn't growing well, I'll ditch it in case of the second one. Which will be way underleveled when he joins the party and I'm gonna have to babysit him to make him hog the exp, and then having the possibility (especially if it has worse growth) of turning crap. Again!

Admittedly, I'm not a connoisseur like yourself. But I enjoy AW much more because I don't have to deal with this bullshit.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Shot themselves in the foot, etc. Actually I think if they did this investors would be furious over the long term ramifications. Yes, it's not without precedent (Virtual Boy), but I'm pretty sure the Virtual Boy never had as many systems sold as the 3DS already has and most definitely will have after this holiday.

I just can't see Nintendo jumping ship this quickly; they'd lose far more in reputation and trust among both gamers and developers.

Granted, Nintendo isn't necessarily above stupid, but you get what I mean.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Don't think I could be happier about not buying a 3ds and selling my wii a few holiday's ago when it was still having "shortages".

3d needs to continue dying.

Sennorin

Banned
Has to be bullshit. If it turns out to be true, 3DS will be dead to me and I´ll buy new Nintendo systems only after a 3 years-wait. I can live with a price cut, that´s simply what you have to expect as an early adopter. But changing the fucking core of the system? Yeah, no.

I like FE's leveling system. Shit like the tower in FE8 breaks the game. Regular RPGs can stick to having easy cheat-to-win gameplay. SRPGs should rely on strategy.

Emitan

Boney said:
Admittedly, I'm not a connoisseur like yourself. But I enjoy AW much more because I don't have to deal with this bullshit.
If they combined AW and FE I would be in love. AW style units with your characters being hero units/COs.

Codeblue said:
Thanks dude. Doesn't seem very credible.

Of course not. They're just poking fun at the rumor there.

It's still a pain in the ass. Like, I'm gonna want to use a swordmaster, and if the first one isn't growing well, I'll ditch it in case of the second one. Which will be way underleveled when he joins the party and I'm gonna have to babysit him to make him hog the exp, and then having the possibility (especially if it has worse growth) of turning crap. Again!

The guy who helps me with my Fire Emblem stuff can plow through the game on hard mode twice in 2 days within a few hours time. I know since he gave me his save files so I can grab footage to use. I ask earlier in the day, he comes back later in the afternoon with everything for one play through, and again the next day.

PowderedToast

RurouniZel said:
Shot themselves in the foot, etc. Actually I think if they did this investors would be furious over the long term ramifications. Yes, it's not without precedent (Virtual Boy), but I'm pretty sure the Virtual Boy never had as many systems sold as the 3DS already has and most definitely will have after this holiday.

I just can't see Nintendo jumping ship this quickly; they'd lose far more in reputation and trust among both gamers and developers.

Granted, Nintendo isn't necessarily above stupid, but you get what I mean.
yeah, i don't think virtual boy reached a million.

Yeah if true no more day1 nintendo hardware for me and they should give the second stick away with every game that supported it.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
LuchaShaq said:
Don't think I could be happier about not buying a 3ds and selling my wii a few holiday's ago when it was still having "shortages".

3d needs to continue dying.
"i don't like it so it should die"

watershed

Banned
Sennorin said:
Has to be bullshit. If it turns out to be true, 3DS will be dead to me and I´ll buy new Nintendo systems only after a 3 years-wait. I can live with a price cut, that´s simply what you have to expect as an early adopter. But changing the fucking core of the system? Yeah, no.
What if Nintendo has some kind of trade in offer where you get the new, doesn't exist, handheld that has ps3 type graphics for under $100 bucks? Dual analogs, dual shoulders/triggers, DD for all retail games, and region free, would you bite then?!!!

I'd give this rumour a few days - if there's any truth to it, you'll get non-denial-denials from Nintendo, or silence. If it's false (or the info the source has provided has been completely garbled) it will be stomped on hard, as a rumour like this coming on the heels of a major pricecut, shitty press and with the holiday season looming is potentially hugely damaging.

watershed

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
I'd give this rumour a few days - if there's any truth to it, you'll get non-denial-denials from Nintendo, or silence. If it's false (or the info the source has provided has been completely garbled) it will be stomped on hard, as a rumour like this coming on the heels of a major pricecut, shitty press and with the holiday season looming is potentially hugely damaging.
But wait you still haven't seen the next 4 parts of this story!

Billychu said:
If they were right twice, they're right forever!
So they're just going to make up a bunch of shit? They got the exact Vita specs before anybody and also Wii U. It sounds like people are in denial here. They didn't just get a couple minor things right, they got two significant reveals.

Sennorin said:
If the rumors are true, you just buy a $10 peripheral and move on. I'm not seeing the big deal.

Sennorin

Banned
artwalknoon said:
What if Nintendo has some kind of trade in offer where you get the new, doesn't exist, handheld that has ps3 type graphics for under $100 bucks? Dual analogs, dual shoulders/triggers, DD for all retail games, and region free, would you bite then?!!!

No, because I´d have to live in fear of a newer model coming out that has 3 analog sticks. :/

.la1n

Personally I am nowhere near as excited for the 3DS as I was for the DS, and more so the DSlite when it launched. Part of that has to do with a lot of the unique third party games that were available by the time the lite came around. I do not see that on the 3DS nor do I see anything hinting towards such in the near future.

Bottom line? Nintendo first party is amazing but they cannot continue to float on it alone, if the rumors of third party issues do turn out to be true then a relaunch / redesign may not be as crazy as it sounds. Gaming has become so financially viable since it's introduction that to not offer easy third party support in this day and age is absolutely insane.

edit: for the record I do love Nintendo's first party lineup for the 3DS ;)

Heavy said:
So they're just going to make up a bunch of shit? They got the exact Vita specs before anybody and also Wii U. It sounds like people are in denial here. They didn't just get a couple minor things right, they got two significant reveals.

They probably aren't making shit up, but it also doesn't mean it's true.
Logistically, there's just no way that an attachment could work on the 3DS.

SeanR1221

twinturbo2 said:
3DS just needs a port of Angry Birds, that'll be a killer app.

People didn't buy iPhones/iPods/iPads for Angry Birds. They bought Angry Birds because they have iPhones/iPods/iPads.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Mikey Jr. said:
No fucking way.

But then again...wii motion plus.......N64 Expansion pak.......

So who knows?
Both of those platforms were made with peripheral expansions in mind. Not saying the 3DS wasn't but what evidence is there that proves the contrary?

FTH said:
1314023264-3ds-joystick.jpg

:lol, come on GAF.
If that's not Sanwa Denshi, I'm not interested.

Top Bottom