• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR A few Resident Evil 7 PS4 Pro shots leak

Jawmuncher

Dead Island I almost never used a gun, and Fallout 3 you can build entirely melee.

I agree with Dead Island. I'm not saying you can't in Fallout 3. But let's say there were no guns in that game and only melee. I don't think it would have garnered the same reception with the gameplay it has. Not disagreeing that there aren't FPS with good melee, but I just feel like more than a few of your example's aren't necessarily high points for it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You mean branching mechanics like the ones featured in RE1, 2 and 3? Look this is what your problem with RE7 truly is:
I don't hate the game, I actually loved the E3trailer it just the actual game looks very generically indie horror digital title and the demo played below mediocre and it has yet to win me over, not my fault they keep showing tapes and demos that don't represent the game, is it?
I may like the final game or in VR I may like it, but what they showing isn't impressive or exciting, P.T did it right but this isn't and its Resident Evil.
People can give it a hard time because it has a lot to prove and it not doing a good job, like Sony with PS4Pro.
I sure the goods are there but we ain't seen them.

They can, but they can also not matter at all. Look at Uncharted 4. That had dialogue choices, but they didn't do dick.
Exactly, so is there parts of the plantation thats locked off, can you go a different way than me or is it some we have to trigger in a dialogue or by finding something or going a different way.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I don't hate the game, I actually loved the E3trailer

No offense, but your first post on RE7 after the E3 reveal was that RE was dead and that this looked like a new IP. Look up your own post history. Since then, I ended up associating your name with constant complaints about every facet of RE7 in every new thread about the game.

Now I may be a huge RE fanboy, which means that I might not be as critical as I could be. But at least be honest man. You hate the direction it's going, so everything about it will suck for you, even if it's elements from previous games. That you've lambasted in this very thread for being part of RE7, while being core tenets of the franchise's early years. If you go like "You know what, I hate that it's first-person view, I can't dig that", then that's fine. That's your prerogative and it's 100% none of my business to judge any of that. But saying "Look at these branching paths and multiple endings, they ruined it" in a franchise built on multiple paths and endings, is just being purposefully dishonest.

It's the same thing as someone going "Healing items and enemies in RE7? Capcom went and ruined it!"

ZeroCDR

I agree with Dead Island. I'm not saying you can't in Fallout 3. But let's say there were no guns in that game and only melee. I don't think it would have garnered the same reception with the gameplay it has. Not disagreeing that there aren't FPS with good melee, but I just feel like more than a few of your example's aren't necessarily high points for it.

Oops, not sure why I thought Dead Island was bolded. My goof!

I understand where you're coming from. The post I was responding to indicated they had never seen it pulled off. The games I listed, and many other FPS games, do have functional and enjoyable melee as part of their core gameplay. Sure, some are better at it than others, but it's not hard to do well and I wouldn't see any reason to be cautious of RE7 doing it.

I'm sure guns will more than play their role anyway, despite being so downplayed to date.

HiiiLife

No offense, but your first post on RE7 after the E3 reveal was that RE was dead and that this looked like a new IP. Look up your own post history. Since then, I ended up associating your name with constant complaints about every facet of RE7 in every new thread about the game.

Now I may be a huge RE fanboy, which means that I might not be as critical as I could be. But at least be honest man. You hate the direction it's going, so everything about it will suck for you, even if it's elements from previous games. That you've lambasted in this very thread for being part of RE7, while being core tenets of the franchise's early years. If you go like "You know what, I hate that it's first-person view, I can't dig that", then that's fine. That's your prerogative and it's 100% none of my business to judge any of that. But saying "Look at these branching paths and multiple endings, they ruined it" in a franchise built on multiple paths and endings, is just being purposefully dishonest.

It's the same thing as someone going "Healing items and enemies in RE7? Capcom went and ruined it!"

Damn why you out here exposing lol.

Not a hardcore RE fan so the changes don't bother me. I'm
Hyped for this. Just trying to convince my brother to pick up 5 & 6 so we can co op again.

Hopefully
Chris
isn't the only returning character that makes a cameo. Both
Chris and Leon
are overused. Claire or Sherry would make much more sense.

Dusk accidentally the spoiler in the OP, so I'll just say that maybe for the time being we shouldn't be posting the names of any potential familiar character appearances. :)

Bergerac

You can't get on RE6 and not mention 4&5 as well.

Oh, I do, but they're not the extreme that 6 is. 6 is borderline beat 'em up.

But it totally changes information conveyed by the environment and how you react to it.

Not in any way that will prevent it from being a Resident Evil game, Neff...

Anything that was done in third person fixed or over the shoulder can be done in first person.

Hearing enemies before seeing them? Put them behind a door, around a blind corner, on the floor above, on the other side of a wall, behind you, etc, etc.

Another facet to fixed cameras was keeping fights difficult through limiting player capability - but that has always been a terrible design philosophy. In RE's case it was shifting camera angles within a single room. As a result the enemies were largely slow and their appearance on screen was beyond telegraphed. In RE4's case it was the inability to strafe or move whilst aiming. So they compensated by having enemies run up, swipe, and then step back to ALLOW you to recover - when the simple truth is that full player mobility plus deadly enemy attack patterns and AI is a more straightforward system that doesn't have to make compromises on gameplay or hamper the player.

Old Resident Evils were not to designed to *play* from a fixed perspective because it was first and foremost optimal for combat. Not at all.

- - - - - - - -

How about items? Loose items that need to be picked up from some stray corner of the room? Let's be honest, they usually flashed and were unmissable and later on the maps would start telling you that you hadn't found everything in the room...

The RE7 demo already started pointing to more complex exploration than most classic RE areas. 'By the way you might want to pick up this flashing ***key***'. The old games even had quick cut scenes to show an item falling, post-boss fight or event! A fixed camera might frame a crank handle in the corner in a very artistic way but their placement was never a gameplay highlight. The satisfaction came from wondering what you had to do with said item once you had space to pick it up. That has nothing to do with the perspective. So, the way that information is gleamed from a fixed angle - is that really preferable? Or is it not better to hunt for things directly, in free perspective, and with no hinting?

Shooting? Aiming for a zombie's head to take it out with as little ammo as possible is the same thing either way - it's just a lot more practical with free aim. It sure was always the objective. Fixed perspective certainly doesn't offer the better gameplay solution there.

If there's a shotgun on a rack on a wall, and lifting it off sets a trap, it doesn't matter how you view it. It's the exact same boobytrapped location design, regardless.

Burning a zombie to prevent reanimation - a sub mechanic tackling enemy development - perspective doesn't change anything about the mechanic or the resources involved.

- - - - - - - -

Literally the only thing that is going to suck in first person is the old 'push the statue' puzzle - and they were terrible anyway and shouldn't come back.

For all the imagined nuance, the games can be broken down into very simple examples of mechanical catharsis that can be achieved in any chosen perspective:

Pick up ammo - endorphins.
Shoot zombies and manage to save ammo - endorphins.
Pick up key for that door you passed - endorphins.
Realise you have access to new areas and are progressing - endorphins.
Pick up new, more powerful weapon - endorphins...
...and so on...

Pace it all just right so that you're steadily progressing but equally mystified. Set it in a locked-in location that forces you to progress past monstrous enemies that are primarily vanquished via combat, and not evaded.

That's Resident Evil.

The only complaints about the first person perspective I will ever sympathise with are from those that suffer motion sickness. That is absolutely understandable. Anything else I've heard tends to lack serious consideration. They're kneejerk reactions that the game isn't exactly like it was 20 years ago, despite potential improvements.

It's this mentality that lead us to COD4 Remastered and not COD4 Remake... an absolute waste.

What if playing first person allows them to, for example... expand upon the old environmental attacks to a more intelligent standard, that couldn't be done in fixed camera?

I mean, the one resounding thing people are saying (second to complaining about first person) is 'I want combat. I want to see gunplay'... and yet... what, they want fixed camera? Auto aim... ?

'There'd better be a focus on gun combat that I have little control over, Capcom!

You better limit my vision with awkward framing instead of making the enemies a challenge!'

It's entirely backwards.

Billy-D_Approves.gif

I agree with everything and why this game can work in first person

Damn what a post and it's what I've been saying. There's nothing about traditional RE that can't work in first person. The execution obviously remains to be seen.

Neff

Okay, I'll give you just one example.

In RECV, Alexander (Nosferatu) throws out poison clouds on the helipad, with potential instant death near the edges if struck by his arm. You would only be able to see where the poison is, and where the edges are, from a third person perspective. Having the sniper rifle at this point even shows how risky it is going into first person in a traditional RE game, although in a stroke of great design also allows you to pinpoint his weak spot. We're talking about a series where mobility and visibility are key when so many of its enemies and environmental obstacles are capable of killing you instantly. RE1's decision to use fixed camera angles, and RE4's insistence on motionless combat are specific design choices implemented to enhance tension, and like you say, the enemies are designed around that.

I'm not saying that Capcom won't be able to play to the strengths of first person (and if they're smart they will), but to say that the traditional RE experience can move to first person with nothing lost or compromised is untrue.

The RE7 demo already started pointing to more complex exploration than most classic RE areas.

Items simply being more hidden doesn't replace or even equate with RE1 or RE2's brilliantly engineered system of optimal backtracking and shortcuts. Again, RE7 may have this same pedigree of map design, but it's not in the demo.

Classic Resident Evil characters will be returning.

This is all I needed to sell me on the game. The other features sound interesting, but the Resident Evil universe has some of the best characters in gaming. My biggest fear was that they would sever ties with the long-time cast of characters in favor of going in a new direction, so I'm glad that one and only concern has been alleviated.

This is Resident Evil to me (Don't mind 7 and I like them all, but i'll always have a higher affinity for the action)
tumblr_nz2bdilMPa1rheorao1_400.gif

Won't say I hate that but RE to me is I'm at danger health with 5 bullets and thinking "fuck fuck what do I do" contemplating which hallway full of zombies or hunters to take to the safe room where I might have stashed a first-aid spray

It's honestly a rare moment even in classic RE but I hope we get a bit of that in this too

This is Resident Evil to me (Don't mind 7 and I like them all, but i'll always have a higher affinity for the action)

Agreed. 5 is the best one to me.

And this is why Capcom should honestly do whatever they want with this IP, because they sure as hell ain't pleasing everyone.

Before today, I never knew a single person for whom Resident Evil 5 was the highlight of the franchise for them.

I was a bit nervous about 7 at first, but I now welcome it with open arms.

First person... I'm really not digging this change. Why not give us the ability to change to third person.

It looks like your typical zombie, monster shooter.

Yeah, imo they should of gave us both first person and third person like Siren Blood Curse or even something like Fallout.

Leon: "They're not zombies."

Fiesta Fiesta

Alright ten years ago I'd have insisted on calling not-zombies not-zombies but I'm older and don't give a shit anymore so I'm gonna call them zombies lol

Also if that's Lucas I didn't think he'd be the Prototype guy (main villain possibility?)

TreIII

Find a VHS tape left by
Chris and we get a little segment where we FALCON PAWNCH zombies in VR

Yep, stuff like that would be amazing.

Late, but yes, it would. Especially if this game's melee combat stands to be good as it is, such that having a
classic char who thrived in the action games adapt readily to it
would just be a nice proof positive that maybe, just maybe, this game has a lil something for us action heads, too.

Same here.

My wife introduced me to the series with 5 and it is the game I still like best. She played them all when they came out and her favorites are 2 and 4, but we both have a lot of excitement for 7 while keeping our fingers crossed that some of that action cheese will find its way in.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

I may have or not said so, I don't remember doing so after the trailer but I admit I was vocal after the demo and if you been following my posts you'll know I said I liked the trailer multiple times and have a lot of FPhorror titles, a few are good the rest is meh, I don't like the direction no
But I didn't like Silent Hills direction too but it proved itself, something I don't think this has done yet.
I'm not alone so just accept there is a few people out there who don't like what's been shown, especially when it's suppose to be Resident Evil.
it's like MGSV, great game but they ruined it.
I see the same thing here. It could be great or it could be another Fphorror with RE's name on it, that's what I fear.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So, a big ole' Famitsu article was posted. It features new screens and everything, but can't post here. I have a friend who speaks Japanese fluently who helped loosely translate what the Famitsu article says. All credit to her, punnypunypony as she goes by online.

Now without further ado, the loosely translated details:

-The people at the dinner table include Jack and Marguerite Baker, Andre from the demo, but more so it reveals the name of the son in the dinner shot is in fact Lucas Baker, and the elderly woman is Camile Baker. The image mentions that this piece of art is made for Tokyo Game Show, and is not representative of the final game. Some of the characters won't be in the final game. (I'm guessing they mean Andre). However, they do mention Camile & Lucas will play roles in the game, and that Lucas is a major character.

-Mia is someone that Ethan is 'close with'.

-Video tapes and other methods are used to 'alter events' during the course of the game.

-There are no hordes of enemies in Resident Evil 7, the enemies are more personalized and stalkerish, but can be combated and defeated.

-The Lantern gameplay shown off recently is a taste of one of the aspects of RE7. You'll face the enemies in tougher scenarios in the memory sequences, and there will be a number of them through the game. The Lantern demo is only a taste of what's to come.

-It mentions there's returning Resident Evil characters (notably plural), can you guess who they are?

-The player awakens at one point in the game in a derelict house, where they meet Camile. It also mentions players will meet other survivors from a unsaid danger in the same situation as you. (note: It was originally translated as the game starts off in a zombie outbreak, but that's not correct, and this is not the opening but a scene later in the game).

-A weapon you obtain early in is a knife, you start off the whole first few hours of the game barely able to defend yourself but it is possible to take down your foes. (note: I originally said it was the first weapon, but it's not actually stated as such, you apparently get a weapon before this knife)

-There are items you can interact with in the environment. Some enemies cannot be killed with weapons, and you'll need to defend yourself with your wit and surroundings. Enemies can be killed by playing it smart with the environment.

-The interview in Famitsu is with the game's director and producer. They talk about themselves, their experience at Gamescom, and the reaction people have had to RE7, they like the feedback they've been getting, and talk a bit about weaponry in RE7 (we'll get to that). They talk about choosing what sort of footage to show, and they showed the Lantern gameplay as it rose questions, was low on action, focus on atmosphere, and didn't show too much. Talk about polishing VR and their three different modes for VR leading to the final release to make their January date.

-Asked if the game is still releasing in January since what's been shown so far is vague, and they laugh and say yes, they're actually almost done with the game they're just keeping a lot from public eyes right now. They say they don't want to spoil things, but please look forward to Tokyo Game Show this year.

-They show a picture of herbs and the finger, and tease what the coin is for (no answers), and that the finger may be expanded soon...

-They talk about the bayou, and mention about a ghost hunt that people are doing for a mysterious girl who is said to have been seen in the swamps.

(full fixes made and worked with a second translator, this should be correct.)

Top Bottom