• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dead Rising 3 set in California, stars Rick the auto mechanic

Vamphuntr

Welp, I got owned badly on this one. I was fairly sure it would be a DLC tease as DR2 Off the record just came out. Sorry for doubting you IGN.

Capcom is milking this one hard.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
Will we get 2 Off The Record versions Frank and Chuck separately, or just one bumper pack with both of them in it?

dream

I'm just happy there IS a Dead Rising 3. I don't care where it's set or who the character is. The formula alone is enough for me.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Unless the change basically everything besides comically kill zombies I'm out 100% With the half assed combat and fucked up structure these games only work well in tiny portions like case zero

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I loved DR2 and Cali sounds good, so I'm down unless Capcom decides to make changes that appeal to only non-fans of the series. I have Off The Record on my wishlist but I'll probably pass on it to avoid burn out.

More Zombies. More weapons. Better graphics. Put it in the middle of downtown Moscow as long as those first three requirements are met. God I love these games, and I don't care of they are shallow.

It's my ultimate gaming guilty pleasure this generation. So. Good.

I was initially thinking this was about Dead Space 3 and was extremely confused and incredibly intrigued by the thread title.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
In my mind OTR exists truly due to fan demand; people wanted Frank, and DR2, while very good, had some issues and flaws that needed to be addressed. And the sandbox mode in OTR is amazing, a whole game in itself.

Personally, I think Dead Rising is still unique among games like this and am not tired of its premise or play mechanics. The way this rumor sounds, is if it'll be set in a much larger, more open area - what if really is an entire town and this changes the dynamics? For example, instead of just having solid walls of zombies to carve through in every corridor / fairway, what if there are herds of zombies that migrate from region to region that you absolutely cannot survive, period. So you damn well better move to another area if you see the herd starting to march in your direction.

There's still a lot that can be done with the series.

AleeN634

That's cool. I hope they do a better job addressing the events of the last 2 games than they did addressing DR1 in DR2.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Good post and I totally agree. Ignoring OTR, there have been only two "real" DR games since 2006. I can think of much worse cases of a publishers milking a franchise. As long Capcom can add some new ideas to the formula (like the ideas in your post), I don't see the problem. It sounds like the setting will be much different, which is good.

yurinka

Too early. I already skipped OTR because I felt saturated of too much DR. Capcom, please bring back Onimusha, Strider and others before DR3.

And if you do release DR3 soon, please add Chuck and Frank since day one as co-op characters. 4P on-line coop for the entire game, that would add something to the series. Please forget these stupid DLC exclusives and rehashed games.

web01

Frank sucks, Chuck was much better.
I will look forward to another new character.
And the lol at people saying the series is sufferring from fatugue.
We have had two games, off the record is just a remix title no need to pick it up until
its at bargin bin price if you have already played DR2.

If you told me a few years ago, when I was dying for a Dead Rising 2, that we'd get 2 retail releases and 2 XBLA games in the span of about a year I would have called you a fucking liar. And now we're getting Dead Rising 3.

Is it just me or do Frank and Isabella look so different in Blue Castle's hands that it's distracting? I really don't like how they changed the way they look compared to the original Dead Rising. I kind of hope they just bench those characters. Fortunately, Blue Castle's gotten the gameplay right, so the important stuff is still intact.

Orayn

How was DR2 on the PS3? I've had it for ages but haven't even tried it yet. Did it run ok?

I heard the general consensus was that it wasn't a total mess, but wasn't great either. It has framerate issues on both PS3 and 360, IIRC.

On second thought, they really should have waited to make Dead Rising 3 on next gen hardware. Just imagine: no load times, one continuous world, more zombies, bigger co-op player counts, better physics, bigger environments, etc

EDIT: Survivor A.I.!

slider

I heard the general consensus was that it wasn't a total mess, but wasn't great either. It has framerate issues on both PS3 and 360, IIRC.

Cheers. I think that's a "I'll try it out". I'm not fussy to tearing, frame-rate or jaggies. Heck, bring back the C64.

ezekial45

Banned
I wonder what element PP will have? 1 had photography and two had combo weapons.

They can probably stick to combo weapons. Auto mechanic are pretty handy, so coming up with crazy combinations of gear will probably do it just fine. However, like mentioned earlier, they can put a larger focus on vehicle customizations (the bike in DR2 being the only example). That'd be pretty awesome.

Imagine putting chainsaws or cattle prods on a tricycle.

O_O

So, the Dead Rising plan is now to make new protagonists, then a year or so later, release the same game with Frank West in the lead?

LQX

I'm ready for moar Zombies. Played the shit out of DR2 and the two cases. Also I'm over Frank and like that they are using different protagonists.

They can probably stick to combo weapons. Auto mechanic are pretty handy, so coming up with crazy combinations of gear will probably do it just fine. However, like mentioned earlier, they can put a larger focus on vehicle customizations (the bike in DR2 being the only example). That'd be pretty awesome.

Imagine putting chainsaws or cattle prods on a tricycle.

O_O

A more open Dead Rising World, where you can use vihicles to go from place to place. Yeah, I am in. Plus they'll have the obligatory scantily clad female character (Jessie and Rebecca),
then they'll end up being killed.

Yeah, don't even care about the hate; Great games; super fun.

Just need to give yourself some time between each one to appreciate them.

In my mind OTR exists truly due to fan demand; people wanted Frank, and DR2, while very good, had some issues and flaws that needed to be addressed. And the sandbox mode in OTR is amazing, a whole game in itself.

Personally, I think Dead Rising is still unique among games like this and am not tired of its premise or play mechanics. The way this rumor sounds, is if it'll be set in a much larger, more open area - what if really is an entire town and this changes the dynamics? For example, instead of just having solid walls of zombies to carve through in every corridor / fairway, what if there are herds of zombies that migrate from region to region that you absolutely cannot survive, period. So you damn well better move to another area if you see the herd starting to march in your direction.

Moving illegals across the border in your armored truck, hombre! Dodging border patrol while the military doesn't give a fuck because they're too busy with zombies.

Or whatever. At any rate, it already sounds more interesting to me than Duty of the Call. Si, senior.

Yuterald

Ugh, who is developing this game? Is it really the blue castle baseball dugout gang again? I tried really, really hard to convince myself that DR2 was good. I don't know why I ever convinced myself that outsourcing this franchise was ever a good idea because it's not.

The original Dead Rising still holds a very special place in my heart. It captured the SOUL of Capcom. Unfortunately, it created delusional expectations on my part. I thought DR was a sign of Capcoms greatness shifting from last gen to next gen (now current gen), but holy shit were we all terribly wrong. I thought DR2 was bad, but oh my god, Off the Record, really? This series is DEAD.

Ugh, who is developing this game? Is it really the blue castle baseball dugout gang again? I tried really, really hard to convince myself that DR2 was good. I don't know why I ever convinced myself that outsourcing this franchise was ever a good idea because it's not.

The original Dead Rising still holds a very special place in my heart. It captured the SOUL of Capcom. Unfortunately, it created delusional expectations on my part. I thought DR was a sign of Capcoms greatness shifting from last gen to next gen (now current gen), but holy shit were we all terribly wrong. I thought DR2 was bad, but oh my god, Off the Record, really? This series is DEAD.

Why was DR2 bad? Blue Castle completely captured the spirit of Dead Rising and I have no doubt that they are more than capable of making awesome games in the franchise. Blue Castle are some of the most hardcore DR fans and I wouldn't want anyone else but them to make Dead Rising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13ppTAEENIo Watch this series of videos about the development of DR2 and the passion Blue Castle has for Dead Rising.

ArjanN

dr3cap6rz6.png

Rick looks pretty...groovy.

The-Evil-Dead-1981-promotional-artwork.jpg

Why was DR2 bad? Blue Castle completely captured the spirit of Dead Rising and I have no doubt that they are more than capable of making awesome games in the franchise. Blue Castle are some of the most hardcore DR fans and I wouldn't want anyone else but them to make Dead Rising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13ppTAEENIo Watch this series of videos about the development of DR2 and the passion Blue Castle has for Dead Rising.

I kind of worry they will get burnt out on doing nothing but Dead Rising games and the quality will go down. I hope Capcom let's them do something different at some point.

Top Bottom