• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dead Rising 3 set in California, stars Rick the auto mechanic

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I don't get what all the complaining about the checkpoints in OTR is about. Pretty much the only time they're useful is against bosses. Since your checkpoint is overwritten every time you enter a new area, they have little to no effect on the time-based stuff. If you're trying to get from one side of Fortune City to the other, but end up running out of time halfway there, how are checkpoints going to save you, since your most recent checkpoint is going to be at the start of whatever area you're currently in? You're still not going to be able to make it in time.

steveovig

Here's to hoping they finally dump the time constraints and just let us run around the environment however we want at whatever pace we want.

GavinGT

Banned
Just dump all the silly conventions established in the first. They're really not necessary and only detract from the experience.

I was so hyped when DR2 was announced but after the shitfest that was OTR I feel nothing but sadness at the loss of what could have been an awesome franchise.

Here's to hoping they finally dump the time constraints and just let us run around the environment however we want at whatever pace we want.
Well, the article says a bomb is going to go off and he needs to escape the city, so I think the time limit is definitely going to be a factor.

I preferred Chuck's story arc over Frank's. His struggle to keep his daughter alive, and to shield her from the horror of the situation (the ability to bring her toys was a nice touch) made him feel more relatable.

I like Frank, but I don't understand people's desire to see him be the hero in every DR game. I'm glad they're once again introducing a new protagonist for the next game.

Concept17

Hated the first game. I tried to like the second, but I just can't tolerate some of the design choices in the series. It may be for some people, but taking a genre like open-world zombies, and throwing in some of the most tedious, repetitive, frustrating mechanics you can put into a game, is just infuriating. Unless they do something really new this time around, I think I'll pass.

Zee-Row

Banned
I wanna get Dead Rising 2 since I haven't played through it yet, but does Off the record have the biker guys story too or is it just Frank's story?

Orayn

I wanna get Dead Rising 2 since I haven't played through it yet, but does Off the record have the biker guys story too or is it just Frank's story?

OTR is a "what-if" scenario starring only Frank. Either is fine, really, though I'd recommend DR2 since you can find it for dirt cheap at this point.

I just finished Off The Record minutes ago. It was my introduction to the Dead Rising series, as I had never played the other games. Opinions seem to be divided, but as for me, I really liked the game, despite the shitty combat and frustrating psychopaths. God, those were the worst. I really hope Dead Rising 3 gets rid of all the clunkiness and the jank.

duckroll

I just finished Off The Record minutes ago. It was my introduction to the Dead Rising series, as I had never played the other games. Opinions seem to be divided, but as for me, I really liked the game, despite the shitty combat and frustrating psychopaths. God, those were the worst. I really hope Dead Rising 3 gets rid of all the clunkiness and the jank.

Why the fuck did you bump a 2 month old rumor thread just to say that?

spanks

I hope they can get some streaming tech into the engine, DR2's continuous loading screens were painful. It'd help the game to feel more open too, since it feels pretty claustrophobic even in outdoor areas.

They need to find out a way to satisfy both crowds. Time limit and no time limit.

One way is to probably include time limit in certain missions/cases that would specifically make sense for it, but also allow segments where you can free roam / sandbox and do side quests. And when you're ready, or done with that, you can go off and trigger the next case which will involve a combination of timed events and non-time events. All the while throwing in segments that allow you to dick around without worrying about time.

I like the timed element, but it was so constant and it just felt like I was working, not playing by trying to get to each aerea in time, back to back to back seemingly never ending with any rest.

Because I had to say something about Dead Rising 3? It wouldn't have been better if I had created a new thread just for this small post, would it?

well that wouldn't have made me think that there was some new news about this Dead Rising 3 rumour, so yeah, that would have been better.

Chinner

Banned
Off The Record was just as much fun as the original DR2 in my opinion.

But I wouldn't mind if they put a New Game+ option in DR3 that's practically an "Off The Record" mode.

i'd rank it.

dead rising > OTR > DR2.

neither otr or dr2 match up to the original at all. i think otr captures the mood of the original better than dr2, but theres a lot of dumb shit added like auto-saves and shit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Because I had to say something about Dead Rising 3? It wouldn't have been better if I had created a new thread just for this small post, would it?

Well, your post chiefly pertains to DR2, and sharing your thoughts on a game you were late to is the entire purpose of a Late to the Party thread, whereas this thread is solely regarding a particular DR3 rumour.

AEREC

The should just wait until next gen when they can do this game without loading screens. I loved the first DR and was able to look past it for that game but the second game was not improved at all...playing on PC made it more tolerable though.

Bioloff

Neo Member
If you're gonna keep forcing new leads in every game, when you know damn well people just want to play as Frank, why not introduce a female lead? Where's Dead Rising's Jill Valentine? Claire Redfield?

Serious sausage fest going on in this franchise.

Are you serious? Female leads are hardly in any video game...

I guess you don't play many games because they are "sausage fests"

Top Bottom