• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dead Rising 3 set in California, stars Rick the auto mechanic

I'd be up for this if they managed to smooth out the gameplay, fixed the save system, and created a compelling story with fun objectives. But I bet it won't have even one of these improvements and probably add some shitty gimmick.

duckroll

Looking forward to Dead Rising 3. I hope Blue Castle ignores everything that was in Off The Record, and write it off as a failed experiment. They should follow their hearts and make the Dead Rising sequel that fans will be proud of. They have my support!

Aaron

Are the stories and characters going to be as shitty as they were in Dead Rising 2? If so no thanks. Probably no thanks anyway. DR2 felt so stale compared to the original.

Carbonox

Loved Dead Rising. Dead Rising 2 was average. I don't have much hope for Dead Rising 3 unless they make some bigger changes. I don't think I could deal with another game that plays 'the same', as it were (clunky gameplay, shitty psychopath boss fights, etc.).

If the main character is a Mechanic I wonder if you'll be able to fix up cars and stuff and actually drive around plowing down zombies.

Berordn

So what was so bad about DR2:OTR anyway? I barely played DR2 and got to pick up OTR during that Amazon goldbox and so far enjoyed what I've played. Is it just too similar to the original or did they mess up something big time?

Either way, looking kind of forward to a new DR if it's a completely new setting anyway.

duckroll

So what was so bad about DR2:OTR anyway? I barely played DR2 and got to pick up OTR during that Amazon goldbox and so far enjoyed what I've played. Is it just too similar to the original or did they mess up something big time?

Either way, looking kind of forward to a new DR if it's a completely new setting anyway.

As a long time Dead Rising fan who enjoyed DR1 and DR2, what OTR brings to the table is not just rehash and reuse, but also a dumbing down of certain game design elements for "accessibility" and casualization. Since I already played and enjoyed DR2, I have no interest in playing a version of DR2 which is basically "not for me". I hope they don't make DR3 like that too, or I would be upset.

Berordn

As a long time Dead Rising fan who enjoyed DR1 and DR2, what OTR brings to the table is not just rehash and reuse, but also a dumbing down of certain game design elements for "accessibility" and casualization.

What did they dumb down exactly, if you don't mind me asking?

It is a complete retread of what I remember from DR2 up to the first mandatory boss (despite being in the new area even), so I definitely understand the "not for me" sentiment.

I honestly cannot fathom what they can possibly do to make this interesting/worthwile anymore. Capcom Vancouver could do anything, but they're stuck shitting out Dead Risings for the rest of their lives, it seems.

What did they dumb down exactly, if you don't mind me asking?

It is a complete retread of what I remember from DR2 up to the first mandatory boss (despite being in the new area even), so I definitely understand the "not for me" sentiment.

One of Dead Rising 1's biggest draws, was the single save spot and bathroom save points. This added tension to the time management mechanic and really forced you to think hard about where and when to save and whether the time spent getting to the save point, was worth it.

Off The Record introduced checkpoints after exiting/entering a new area and after completing objectives and I believe even boss fights. Instead of having to manage your time and decide when was the right time to save, you now have automatic checkpoint saves. This basically destroys any tension the time mechanic may have introduced, as you know you always have a recent checkpoint to fall back to.

sleepykyo

Rick looks pretty...groovy.

The-Evil-Dead-1981-promotional-artwork.jpg

That just shows good taste on their part. Though I would equate Dead Rising to Army of Darkness instead of the earlier works.

OTR was my first DR game, and I frigging loved it, one of my favorite games this gen! If it weren't for the co-op trophies I would've Platinumed it.

However, if the game didn't have checkpoints I probably wouldn't have finished it or enjoyed it even, I don't wanna keep retrying their shitty bosses that come out of nowhere while losing any progress I made getting to them.

If you don't like the checkpoints then don't fucking use them, you're not forced to do so.

Omikaru

Loved Dead Rising 1 and 2, so you won't see me complaining about a third. Haven't played Off the Record, though, so I hope they don't use that one as the basis for 3.

Orayn

People like time limits? You guys are weird.
Time limits are integral to how the series plays. They make them tense games about planning routes and rushing from here to there in a desperate scramble, rather than boring sandboxes.

Grecco

Ill probably just buy OTR

Frank and the Camera mechanic were the draws for me with DR1. Hated that they took that out in DR2

jam287

Banned
Can never have too much Dead Rising. I hope 3 is harder than 2 was, 2 was too easy (OTR was a little harder which is good). I don't care who you play as but I do love the photography aspect and hope it stays along with combo weapons and maybe something new. I hope that the game is co-op focused so that if you are playing co-op the 2nd player takes part and makes sense with the story, or at the very least have the 2nd player not be implausable like in DR2/OTR (2 Chucks? Frank and Chuck's good twin?). I hope they don't forget about Chuck because I liked his story a lot more than Frank's even though Frank is a more fun character.

OTR was my first DR game, and I frigging loved it, one of my favorite games this gen! If it weren't for the co-op trophies I would've Platinumed it.

However, if the game didn't have checkpoints I probably wouldn't have finished it or enjoyed it even, I don't wanna keep retrying their shitty bosses that come out of nowhere while losing any progress I made getting to them.

If you don't like the checkpoints then don't fucking use them, you're not forced to do so.

The problem I have with this is that the game you describe is not the Dead Rising I like. I like that there's no fallback if I fuck up. If I don't want to waste progress losing to a boss, I probably should save often and, more importantly, not lose.

Dead Rising is kind of like a rogue-like in that way. If you can't handle that pressure, then it's not the game for you, much in the same way that I don't like RTSes because it's too much stuff for me to manage.

Sadist

A sequel allready? Hmm.

I like both Dead Rising games, but this is kind of quick. The premiss sounds cool though. As much as I like Chuck, but this Rick guy sounds like an average dude. One of the reasons why I think the Dead Rising games are so fun: no hollywood stud as the main character.

bryehn

As a long time Dead Rising fan who enjoyed DR1 and DR2, what OTR brings to the table is not just rehash and reuse, but also a dumbing down of certain game design elements for "accessibility" and casualization. Since I already played and enjoyed DR2, I have no interest in playing a version of DR2 which is basically "not for me". I hope they don't make DR3 like that too, or I would be upset.

I played both and still really liked OTR for what it was.

Denzar

I loved the atmosphere in DR: Case Zero, and going by the description, Blue Castle is going for something in the same direction as that.

Either way, more Dead Rising? I'm down.

clockpunk

Love DR2, both vanilla and Off the Record, and will certainly buy anything related to the series. So long as the combo-weapon system remains in place, which was the turning point for me.

The games just offer so much fun. That is why I am eagerly anticipating anything related to DR3. That, and I always hoped they would add a steamroller to DR2... :D

I like how they switch main characters in each game. That, and along with adding new features with each character: Photo Mechanic with Frank, Combo Weapon Mechanic with Chuck and Mechanic Mechanic with Rick.

The problem I have with this is that the game you describe is not the Dead Rising I like. I like that there's no fallback if I fuck up. If I don't want to waste progress losing to a boss, I probably should save often and, more importantly, not lose.

Dead Rising is kind of like a rogue-like in that way. If you can't handle that pressure, then it's not the game for you, much in the same way that I don't like RTSes because it's too much stuff for me to manage.

Whatever, DR3 is guaranteed to have checkpoints anyway, bwahahahahaha.

Checkpoints won't ruin the "soul" of game or dumb it down, they're simply a necessity in today's videogames, I can't believe that someone would argue against them!

Not to mention that if you don't want to use the checkpoints you can just reload your previous save, the option is available when you die.

Chinner

Banned
DR2 was alright, but OTR was much superior.

this? dunno see what happens. kind of hoping they were going to hold off till the next-gen.

pvpness

They'd best think through the features they want to include in Dead Rising 3 before they release it. If I've any reason to think there will be an off the record for this one, I'll wait until both are bargin bin prices. I imagine a lot of others feel the same way.

Top Bottom