• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor has it that Tom Cruise may be leaving Scientology for his daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nivash

If the Church of Scientology was smart, they'd try to sign some kind of mutual NDA where both Cruise and the church agree not talk about each other to anyone. Tom Cruise could potentially do some major harm to the church if he was out spoken about what Scientology is all about. I don't know what Scientology has on Tom, but if he leaves and goes from poster boy to most out spoken critic, could be really bad news for Scientology.

Unsurprisingly, they actually do that with everyone who leaves Scientology.

Deft Beck

If the Church of Scientology was smart, they'd try to sign some kind of mutual NDA where both Cruise and the church agree not talk about each other to anyone. Tom Cruise could potentially do some major harm to the church if he was out spoken about what Scientology is all about. I don't know what Scientology has on Tom, but if he leaves and goes from poster boy to most out spoken critic, could be really bad news for Scientology.

That would be the best case scenario.

Peru

Even with the effective control the church has over member's lives, physically as well as psychologically (Haggis said he had never read a Scientology-critical article in his years of membership, which tells you something about how blind the members can get to reality) Cruise is bound to have closed his eyes to some of the cruelty of the organization... even seein how he's treated with luxury gifts from them while other members ruin themselves financially. It does feel like he's too far gone, either the church collapses or he's stuck there.. but if he can be a part of bringing it down that would be righting some of the wrongs he's partially responsible for and helping his legacy somewhat.

I don't see Cruise speaking out against Scientology if he leaves. Probably a "no ill will, but I needed to put my daughter first" type of deal.

Jotaka

AXXJq4g.gif

Downhome

As much as I want to see this happen, I don't expect this to happen. I'll only believe it when I see it.

I believe he is too far in at this point.

jett

D-Member
But Tom is the Chosen Xenu! He's so far in this thing, it doesn't seem possible to be honest.

Hopefully the cruisemissile can actually break off from this cult, though.

If he does and finally decides to do an interview about it in a few years that would be incredible.

I like Tom Cruise's work but I hate Scientology.

Duxxy3

If he is going to do it, then I would expect an announcement before the next Mission Impossible movie comes out. It would be a huge boon to the movies domestic numbers. His movies always do well internationally, but domestically it's been disaster after disaster.

Cruise being apart of this shit knocks off so many respect points, and there's no way in hell he's not aware of how fucked up the whole thing actually is. He seems real messed up himself.

His filmography since joining them has been nearly flawless, but I hope he leaves to help improve his family. Good for him.

God Speed, Good Sir.

Aiii

So not worth it
Come on Tom, you are better than that corrupt cult, and losing you is hopefully the final nail in their coffin. Go for it!

Dhuie

Neo Member
I hope if he does leave he can... well just leave, not do an interview with "oprah" or make it into a movie. He's not one to cash in on it like todays "celebs" who would be making their own doco about leaving and then trying to shop it around.

Just leave and say for family reasons.

I honestly can't see this happening. Miscavige would slaughter a thousand suppressive persons and eat them whole in order to keep the Cruise missile within the church.

Buzzati

Banned
Isn't Tom Cruise basically Martin Luther status right now? He can leave Scientology and claim he knows the actual truth about Xenu. Nail those edicts to the door, Tom. I will follow you anywhere.

kaskade

I feel like Cruise is so high profile that if they really did try anything crazy it would reflect even more poorly on the "church". They aren't exactly in a favorable position at the moment anyway.

I hope he gets out. He seems like a pretty decent guy.

If he is going to do it, then I would expect an announcement before the next Mission Impossible movie comes out. It would be a huge boon to the movies domestic numbers. His movies always do well internationally, but domestically it's been disaster after disaster.

Which is kinda ironic since Scientology is banned or not recognized as a religion in many countries internationally, whereas it has religion status domestically.

Nivash

I feel like Cruise is so high profile that if they really did try anything crazy it would reflect even more poorly on the "church". They aren't exactly in a favorable position at the moment anyway.

I hope he gets out. He seems like a pretty decent guy.

They don't go after the defectors to defend their image, they do it to retain a proper atmosphere of fear for those who are already members. If they didn't go after Cruise with everything they have if he left it would suggest to a lot of Scientologists who's tired of the church right now that leaving isn't that bad. Their hands are pretty much tied in this.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If he did ever leave presumably he would have some sort of agreement not to discuss the church. You just know they would out him ASAP if he ever opened up about what they do.

totoro'd

obviously this "rumor" was probably leaked since he has a new MI movie about to come out and he/they want to appeal to the moviegoers who might not see it because of his Scientology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom