• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor has it that Tom Cruise may be leaving Scientology for his daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTopo

Banned
At 52, rich as hell, and an international celebrity I can't imagine there's a lot the church can do to him. Suppose they know he's gay, or some other "horrible" secret. Wouldn't him leaving that cult outweigh whatever damage this secret could reveal?

It's not like he won't work anymore, not only does he own part of UA, but he can literally pick up the phone and work with any director/studio he wants.

Dude just needs to nut up and take whatever punishment they have for him upon his departure.

There's more than just owning a part of studio to keep working in Hollywood. Scientologists might have ties at other studios and distributors and most importantly financiers to shut down a project.

He could do it but he wouldn't be doing any 100+ million dollar action movies any more. Mel Gibson did it with Passion of the Christ (terrible movie) and Apocalypto and then he imploded.

There's more than just owning a part of studio to keep working in Hollywood. Scientologists might have ties at other studios and distributors and most importantly financiers to shut down a project.

Nah. I don't see that being the case. He and Travolta are like the two biggest holdouts left. If he bails, Scientology is absolutely going to drag him through the dirt, but if he's at all savvy, he can leverage that, position himself as an underdog trying to finally do right. From a PR standpoint, he's in the rare position that he could weather the oncoming shitstorm, provided it looks like he's doing it for all the right reasons, and come out of this more popular than he's been in decades. I don't believe there are enough Scientology money-men in the industry that could/would block a studio from giving Cruise work if both he and that studio want it.

ElTopo

Banned
Nah. I don't see that being the case. He and Travolta are like the two biggest holdouts left. If he bails, Scientology is absolutely going to drag him through the dirt, but if he's at all savvy, he can leverage that, position himself as an underdog trying to finally do right. From a PR standpoint, he's in the rare position that he could weather the oncoming shitstorm, provided it looks like he's doing it for all the right reasons, and come out of this more popular than he's been in decades. I don't believe there are enough Scientology money-men in the industry that could/would block a studio from giving Cruise work if both he and that studio want it.

That's a possibility as well but we don't know just how far the tentacle of Scientology reaches.

Xero

It this was all part of a 10 year mission of tom cruise's to destroy the church from the inside that would be amazing. Hired by the government to do an "impossible" mission. Ends with him telling the head of the church of scientology, and going all ozymandias "I triggered it 35 minutes ago" Then walking away from the building as it explodes.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
giphy.gif

Scientology was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

inm8num2

It this was all part of a 10 year mission of tom cruise's to destroy the church from the inside that would be amazing. Hired by the government to do an "impossible" mission. Ends with him telling the head of the church of scientology, and going all ozymandias "I triggered it 35 minutes ago" Then walking away from the building as it explodes.

As he's walking away...

tumblr_mdnot89bKS1rlsxj0o1_500.gif

BocoDragon

I hope this comes true before MI5 releases. I want to watch that without feeling guilty I'm supporting that evil organization.

Do it Tom. Apart from the Scientology stuff, you're golden.

Savitar

With how Scientology works I'm sure they'd kill him trying to make it look like he simply passed away while leaving a touching and powerful emotional scientology propaganda piece in his will rather than letting him walk away.

ElTopo

Banned
With how Scientology works I'm sure they'd kill him trying to make it look like he simply passed away while leaving a touching and powerful emotional scientology propaganda piece in his will rather than letting him walk away.

Too much of the world is watching them for them to get away with it.

subrock

So we should expect some nasty dumps of personal info about Tom in the coming months/year. Wouldn't be surprised to find out he was gay.

Man, you beat me all to this. Cruise leaving just as the worm is finally turning on Scientology is a pretty savvy career move. And his risk is less whatever personal dirt the church has on him than whatever despicable shit he was aware of or involved in within the church. That's what he might be trying to get out in front of if this is true.

Enco

I don't see this happening but if it does it would be amazing.

A huge blow to Scientology. Good stuff.

jelly

I don't get the blackmail thing, if they cross that line, that basically destroys Scientology from getting more members.

I still wary of Cruise if those stories of abuse, harassment, separation from families in Scientology is known to him, that's sickening stuff. It's whether you believe he is brainwashed or believes in the methods. How could he go through life and not be curious about reports on the cult, do monitor his phone, TV and media watching. It would be so odd that he hasn't come across the truth.

ElTopo

Banned
So we should expect some nasty dumps of personal info about Tom in the coming months/year. Wouldn't be surprised to find out he was gay.

The public doesn't really care if he's gay or bi or whatever. It's what other dirt the cult might have on him.

BocoDragon

In the year of our lord 2015 that is 1000000000x less scandalous than being a Scientologist.

120v

i never really cared he was a scientologist... and i've read about how much of a slimeball hubbard was, watched the documentary, ect.

maybe i should care, but i never really thought it was relevant. at the end of the day he's just a guy who puts on makeup and entertains me. whatever his belief system is ... whatever. maybe it's having a detrimental effect on his kids, maybe not, but it's all just speculation

as for him leaving, i think he would've bailed a long, long time ago. but he has a biological kid now, so who knows. sucks if he's being blackmailed though

Xiraiya

Because the main draw of the church are therapy sessions (can't remember the official name of them) where the thinking is that if you admit everything you've done wrong (similar to catholic confession) it's supposed to feel like a weight off of your shoulders. The only problem is that the church records these sessions, and keeps a database of the person's past sins that the church then uses as leverage against you (especially with public figures like Cruise and Travolta) so you can do their bidding.
The irony being that if you walk forward with your head held high, taking your mistakes in stride like a man, at some point all this "power" they supposedly have over you becomes completely irrelevant and effectively imaginary.
People are going to be far more willing to respect the man who can own up to his flaws and attempt to redeem himself genuinely, as appose to the ones who reveal those flaws for their own selfish reasons.

Strike

Between this, the Going Clear documentary, and Miscavige's father releasing a tell-all book, this could be the start of something big. I can't even imagine the legal shitstorm that will occur if they ever lose their religious exemption status. It would take years, but they would have to be RICO'd into oblivion. Then there would be the precedent it would set for other religious organizations. It would probably scare the shit out of them.

zychi

Banned
Unless Cruise murdered someone or is a pedophile, theres nothing that the church could have on him that the public wouldnt forgive him for. He's still a huge movie star and seems to have come back down from his pedastool when he was promoting edge of tomorrow.

In typical conspiracy theory fashion, if this happens, i dont expect it to happen until theres some major legislation going through the govt, like TPP being signed so the news outlets talk about this more than the govt

Daffy Duck

Would be a big milestone for him and Scientology if he left.

Would be crazy to watch, I love his films and do like him, just crazy how he's mixed up in all of it.

Do the right thing Tom.

Abounder

Banned
Between this, the Going Clear documentary, and Miscavige's father releasing a tell-all book, this could be the start of something big. I can't even imagine the legal shitstorm that will occur if they ever lose their religious exemption status. It would take years, but they would have to be RICO'd into oblivion. Then there would be the precedent it would set for other religious organizations. It would probably scare the shit out of them.

What a year for the RICO act if this turned into reality. It would be great.

Unless Cruise murdered someone or is a pedophile, theres nothing that the church could have on him that the public wouldnt forgive him for. He's still a huge movie star and seems to have come back down from his pedastool when he was promoting edge of tomorrow.

In typical conspiracy theory fashion, if this happens, i dont expect it to happen until theres some major legislation going through the govt, like TPP being signed so the news outlets talk about this more than the govt

Exactly.

Who cares if Kidman pegged him, shit doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I would expose the church's bullshit.

Like Strike mentioned, I hope they get RICO'd into oblivion.

CDX

If this is true, and that Suri is the catalyst. Good on Katie for surprising Tom with the Divorce and managing to get both primary custody & the legal right to pick Suri's religion. She did that masterfully.

Nicole Kidman wasn't so lucky, her children remained scientologists, and Kidman was labeled a suppressive person by the church.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
An anti-Scientology site run by a former member is calling bullshit.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/07/02/ho...he-church-of-scientology-a-primer/#more-23778

Now, the new development: Cruise actually got together with his kid. If that’s true, well, good for him. Star then says it talked to an “insider.” (Uh-oh, this is tabloid parlance for someone who might actually be close to Tom, or could be a public relations person. Or someone who saw a Tom Cruise movie once. You just never know.)

The insider claims that Tom was devastated to realize how much of his daughter’s life he was missing out on. “When she speaks to him on the phone, it’s becoming more and more like she’s talking to a stranger.” Well, that’s heartbreaking, if it’s true, and we would hope that Tom would be affected and do something about it. Like, you know, visit her more often.

And here’s the thing. The “insider” clearly has no idea whether or not Tom is actually going to sever ties with Scientology, and Star itself hedges its bets, saying that Tom “may soon part ways with the cultlike religion.”

Cue the sad trombone: wah wah waaaaaaaah.

But now that you know you’ve been had, it’s too late — you’ve paid your money based on the salacious cover headline, and only now do you realize that Star magazine doesn’t have the slightest idea whether Tom Cruise is actually leaving Scientology. In fact, Star magazine doesn’t have the slightest idea what Scientology is. All they know is that it’s a word that sells copies, and they love teasing readers with the idea that Tom is on his way out. They count on you not remembering, for example, that they said the exact same thing three years ago….

Nohar

What happens (happened) to Cruise and Kidman is horrifying. I really hope he will leave this organisation.

And we are just talking about famous people here. Just think about all the "normal" people caught by the "church". I can't believe the US didn't outlaw it yet.
Well, the french tried to do that... But all the legal files for a trial regarding the church mysteriously disappeared in 2009 (sadly, true story), and oddly enough there was a new law voted right before a trial to forbid the dissolution of organisations like the church for scamming people (once again, true story). We had to wait until 2013 for them to be punished for scamming people. With some luck, the organisation will be dissolved after another trial (at least the french part).

There's a distinct difference between isolated cases and a doctrine from a whole "Church".

You've never read the bible eh? It's chalked full of the idea of putting God before your family. It's kind of a cornerstone of the whole thing. Put your faith into God and worship him/love him even more than your own family and good things will happen.

Binding of Isaac is only one but many examples of people being tested by choosing between family and God.

It's an isolated case like mass shootings in America are isolated incidents...

Hope he's ready for those crazy fucks to destroy his life. They're going to leak every, single, thing he's ever done that could be cast in a negative light.

And likely end his career.

Also Scientology isn't a cult, to it's members maybe, but it's just a business. A business with a lot of power and a lot of dirt on anybody with power in a position to stop it. That can hide behind the law because of their wealth and status.

It's pretty fucked.

You've never read the bible eh? It's chalked full of the idea of putting God before your family. It's kind of a cornerstone of the whole thing. Put your faith into God and worship him/love him even more than your own family and good things will happen.

Binding of Isaac is only one but many examples of people being tested by choosing between family and God.

It's an isolated case like mass shootings in America are isolated incidents...

Wow, you use a video game for your anecdotes? lol

Edit: unless you're not talking about the game...

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Just to be clear, Tony's not a former member, but that is probably the best news blog/site for COS comings and goings out there.

Must have misread it where I saw the link, but thanks for the correction.

Christianity doesn't make people choose between family and belief.

THAT'S A CORE PRINCIPLE OF THEIR VERY BELIEFS. I spent long enough in the seminary to know that.

I have doubts about this. Scientology's put a ton of effort and money into keeping him in. I've read a few books from ex-members and I don't recall anything about blackmail material, but when he was thinking of leaving some time ago they went all out to keep him in. Like others said, he's essentially the #2 guy in the organization, and from the accounts I've read he's been much more insulated from the really awful stuff going on in the cult (forced labor, forced separation from spouses and families, etc.). Celebrities in Scientology are all pampered and sheltered from all of that.

But then those at the top who reported directly to Miscavige are flocking away and writing tell-all books so who knows, maybe once Cruise finds out about all of the stuff they've hidden from him he'll take off too.

Edit:
Christianity doesn't make people choose between family and belief.

THAT'S A CORE PRINCIPLE OF THEIR VERY BELIEFS. I spent long enough in the seminary to know that.
Right, and a Christian will at least tell you everything about their beliefs right up front. Some will even give you a copy of the Bible. With Scientology you need to pony up thousands of dollars to auditing, classes, and the like to know what they're all about.

One of the more famous stories of faith in the Bible is God allowing a man's entirely family to slaughtered to test his faith

Old Testament has little bearing on Christian theological beliefs other than as apocrypha or a loose fitting historical and storytelling narrative meant to impart moralistic teachings (at least it should). In the vast majority of sects, it's viewed as it should be, allegory for how despite being beset by trials, his faith was unwavering.

The New Testament is filled with passages on the importance of family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom