• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor has it that Tom Cruise may be leaving Scientology for his daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

FTF

AXXJq4g.gif

lol yup, this. Do it Tom.

Tagg9

People keep saying that but he has dirt on them too.

Everyone has dirt on Scientology, and most of the juicy details have already come to light in the (many) recent books and documentaries which ex-members have contributed to. Cruise has far more to lose.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck Scientology. I can't really get mad at someone for being brainwashed, it's these assholes' fault. It's impossible to understand how they manage to get away with all these awful practices.

kai3345

Banned
Why does this church exert so much control over its members?

Reminds me of cult dynamics.

Because the main draw of the church are therapy sessions (can't remember the official name of them) where the thinking is that if you admit everything you've done wrong (similar to catholic confession) it's supposed to feel like a weight off of your shoulders. The only problem is that the church records these sessions, and keeps a database of the person's past sins that the church then uses as leverage against you (especially with public figures like Cruise and Travolta) so you can do their bidding.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What I really wonder is: If he does leave, how screwed he is in hollywood. How many executives are in Scientology's pocket?

is tom cruise a smart man?
he had a high rank in scientology, but was he truly someone who made decision or just the dumb posterboy?
I always had the feeling he was the latter. but I am hoping now he knows a lot, just imagine what he could expose.

He's a high school graduate with dyslexia. I'm sure he knows a great deal about flying, racing, cars, motorcycles, filmmaking, etc., and he comes across as natively intelligent, but I wouldn't imagine someone who is self-educated who also believes that psychology and medication are harmful, or particularly the whole Xenu myth, is "smart."

~Kinggi~

Banned
Because the main draw of the church are therapy sessions (can't remember the official name of them) where the thinking is that if you admit everything you've done wrong (similar to catholic confession) it's supposed to feel like a weight off of your shoulders. The only problem is that the church records these sessions, and keeps a database of the person's past sins that the church then uses as leverage against you (especially with public figures like Cruise and Travolta) so you can do their bidding.

That is some twisted shit that i cant believe is even legal.

Camwi

After watching Going Clear, my wife and I couldn't help but feel sorry for Tom. They really brainwashed the shit out of him.

neoism

is tom cruise a smart man?
he had a high rank in scientology, but was he truly someone who made decision or just the dumb posterboy?
I always had the feeling he was the latter. but I am hoping now he knows a lot, just imagine what he could expose.

pretty sure he is like 3rd or 4th in command or something he is close to the max rank from what i remember reading....
they never treated him bad.. like other poeple... hell most of the rich members are treated like kings and qweens ....

but hell yeah realllllllly hope this is true... always loved him as an actor and never really cared he was scientalogist.. but still.. him quiting would be awesome...

Amir0x

Banned

The process is called "auditing".

:<

neoism

What I really wonder is: If he does leave, how screwed he is in hollywood. How many executives are in Scientology's pocket?

it wouludnt matter tom is buds with some of the most powerful ppl in hollywood.... he is an amazing actor and incredibly professional.... plus he produces all his movies he is in...

im sure all the shit they have on him would emmbarass him but it wouldnt hurt his acting any... unless its reallllllllly bad...

megalowho

I'm going to go with Tony Ortega's analysis and say this isn't really going to happen, just a tabloid story. Tom Cruise is basically #2 in the entire organization, he's all in. The way these guys process anti-COS material like Going Clear isn't like how we would, and I'm sure they'll go to extreme and incredible lengths to keep him involved if he wavers, like they've done in the past.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/07/02/ho...ory-about-the-church-of-scientology-a-primer/

I don't think this will happen. He's weathered stronger tests of his "faith".

But if he does, it's a win-win. People who always watched his movies will continue to do so. People who were "boycotting" will flock to him as a hero who overcame the cultiest of cults.

The worst case scenario is that the dirt on him isn't homosexuality (hello, everybody can get married now!), but pedophilia or something similarly bad. If that's the case, then yeah, he's never coming back.

While this is potentially amazing news, it took him 9 years to realize this?

From what i read he legit loved Katie despite it being a forced romance. Yet he choose the church over her. But hey better now than ever right? I hope this brings down the church for good.

DMczaf

I like how this story comes out a few weeks before the release of his latest film, Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation.

Coming to theaters July 31st!

I've been saying for awhile this is the last card he can possibly pull with the public in order to ensure they love him the way they used to love him. It's the last bridge he can cross (and then burn).

Looking at this like some kind of promotional robot (which Cruise can be, obviously) accounting for variables of a half-informed, tabloid-fed audience - it's not that dumb a call, honestly.

1) even if he doesn't care all that much (he does) about his kid (which a segment of his audience still believes might not even be his kid) everyone knows Scientology's reputation - when they come after him, it'll be easy to paint them as total monsters for trying to smear him for loving his daughter. Basically, they can't go after him without killing themselves in the process.

2) the amount of goodwill he would get for publicly breaking from the church and eating the shit the church WILL try to feed him will translate into dollars for Mission Impossible 5, i.e. "don't just post about me on facebook if you're happy I finally did the right thing. Instead, by a ticket to my latest film, where I ride an airplane!"

I really hope he does leave, cause Going Clear makes him out to be a really bad person especially since he's most likely aware of all the abuse that goes down in the prison complex "Hole".

That handshake with David was creepy hard, like he's acting out of Top Gun or some other military movie.

89rJok0.gif

hwy_61

Banned
I really hope he does leave, cause Going Clear makes him out to be a really bad person especially since he's most likely aware of all the abuse that goes down in the prison complex "Hole".

That handshake with David was creepy hard, like he's acting out of Top Gun or some other military movie.

89rJok0.gif

Such an intense handshake.

Carl

I remember a few years aog i was talking around Birmingham with my then-girlfriend and a chap came up to us and asked us to do a survey for him. I refused but my then-girlfriend said yes and this chap walked us to a place that i quickly realised was Church of Scientology building.

After separating my then-girlfriend and i into different rooms, they set her doing the survey thing and made me watch a ridiculous video about their religion. The guy in the room with me kept talking about L Ron Hubbard and other stuff that i couldn't have given a shit about. After repeatedly asking for my girlfriend so that we could go somewhere, eventually they brought us back together and we quickly left.

Was really an unpleasant experience and i have no idea how anyone could seriously be a member of that church.

Dai101

Banned

89rJok0.gif

If i didn't knew this cult and that video in particular, i could have swored it's from an amway meeting.

Future

Dissenter? Wtf?

Why do all religions have to have cult like tendencies. You must do this or that or get labelled somehow and ostracized. Must raise your kids in the church or else! How about I do that because I believe in the what the church teaches and not because of fear tactics.

89rJok0.gif
Now I want to know what that medal around his neck is for.

Jin

I wonder if he leaves will the church leak all the personal info from Tom's audit sessions. Supposedly Travolta haven't left because the church threaten to do the same. It's really fucked up how David Miscavige wanted to know Tom's sex life and how perverted he was and probably had all that info ready to share.

SND

Banned
At 52, rich as hell, and an international celebrity I can't imagine there's a lot the church can do to him. Suppose they know he's gay, or some other "horrible" secret. Wouldn't him leaving that cult outweigh whatever damage this secret could reveal?

It's not like he won't work anymore, not only does he own part of UA, but he can literally pick up the phone and work with any director/studio he wants.

Dude just needs to nut up and take whatever punishment they have for him upon his departure.

Tigress

You'd think as he is a very public figure of theirs and seems to do a lot of representation for them, they'd just make an exception in his case and keep him quiet about that it is an exception.

Hell, they could even have him say, "See, they don't tear families apart. They are letting me be with my daughter even though she isn't one."

Honestly, I think it's a huge PR mistake on their part if they really do push this "us or her" thing on Tom.

But I'm all for them doing a huge PR mistake so by all means i hope they stay stupid on this one.

That leaked video is legendary. The laugh, the editing, the Mission: Impossible II music bed running throughout. Simply an amazing video. One that never gets old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom