• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: inFamous: Second Son is a PS4 launch title

RiverBed

Banned
I don't recall any open world/ free roaming launch game- or even launch window.
It will be mighty impressive if they can do it and will speak volumes about both the dev's talents and the PS4's architecture.

iratA

I'd rather wait for a polished product, than have a rushed product. But if its ready, its ready and I'll be there too.

PS4 Launch:

KZ Shadowfall (FPS)
Knack (Action/Platformer)
Drive Club (Racer)
InFAMOUS (third person open world)
The Witness (Indie/Puzzle)

Final Fantasy XV (RPG)
The Last Guardian (Artistic Game)

If that was the launch, Sony would kill it! The great thing though is that they don't even need to have all the above as launch games because of what 3rd party is bringing.

I am glad if this is true. The age where you can shovel out shit on the back of people wanting the hardware is over in my mind, consoles just arent't important enough to the masses, you need to treat it as it is, a hugely important chance for momentum, and put out the corresponding games. If this thing launches with KZ, Infamous & Knack, and ACIV and Watchdogs from Ubi, I will be so pleased.

dont think it'll happen. and tbh dont want it too as well. they shd release it around 3-6 months from launch unless they've a ton of first party titles lined up.

Dusky

If third parties deliver their titles on time I can see Killzone getting delayed until March. Sony won't want to compete with next gen BF and COD.

I think BF4 will have a late November - early December release. If Killzone can release inbetween CoD and BF4 it ahould be fine.

Setsuna

I know. While inF SS was a cutscene, what we saw of drive club could be construed as gameplay (spliced together into a trailer).

some of the scenes in the trailer were gameplay with the UI removed and from a different angle from what i remember

some of the scenes in the trailer were gameplay with the UI removed and from a different angle from what i remember

That's pretty accurate of what they said afterwards. On twitter someone said they couldn't wait for actual gameplay, and the reply was:

what did you think most of that was... we just used different camera to make it more cinematic.

And from the ps blog:

In fact, this trailer was produced in-house using our game engine – can you tell we’re having fun with the new GPU, tools, and our new VFX system?

Which isn't exactly a statement that it was gameplay like the first quote, but at very least it was a completely in engine scene

When they say launch, do they mean day 1, or "launch window". I know they didn't say launch window, but are these things usually implied?

KZ:SF and Infamous:SS on the same day seems fucking batshit crazy.

This is the same company that had the sheer balls to but EIGHT Gigs of GDDR in one machine.

At this point, "batshit crazy" should be the norm from here on till the Tenth Generation of consoles begins.

KAL2006

Banned
Spread that's shit out

Launch
Killzone SF, Drive Club, Assassins Creed, Battlefield 4, Watchdogs

Dec
inFamous SS, Knack, COD

Jan
Santa Monica new IP, Diablo 3

Feb
Ready at Dawns new IP, Dragon Age 3, Rainbow 6 Patriots

March
Last Guardian, The Witchter 3, Destiny

April
Final Fantasy VX, Thief 4, MGS5

May
Planetside 2, Star Wars 1313

Spread that's shit out

Launch

Dec
inFamous SS, Knack, COD

Jan

Feb

March

April

May
lol at this

Dusky

Spread that's shit out

Launch

Dec
inFamous SS, Knack, COD

Jan

Feb

March

April

May

No thanks.

Also Planetside 2 should be on every PS4 console day one.

Takao

Banned
Spread that's shit out

Launch

Dec
inFamous SS, Knack, COD

Jan

Feb

March

April

May

you cray cray with that lineup

Radec

Spread that's shit out

Launch

Dec
inFamous SS, Knack, COD

Jan

Feb

March 2014

April 2015

May 2015

Fixed.

It would be great to have Infamous at launch but I also worry of front loading the launch too much. Nintendo has shown that there needs to be a steady drip of titles post release as well. However, Sony is probably the best equipped to handle that given their 3rd party relations and because nearly all of their first party studios are prime for a release.

Cidd

PS4 Launch:

KZ Shadowfall (FPS)
Drive Club (Racer)

Final Fantasy XV (RPG)

If that was the launch, Sony would kill it! The great thing though is that they don't even need to have all the above as launch games because of what 3rd party is bringing.

Yeah that's a great line up so far, I think they should spread the games out a bit maybe launch one every 2 - 3 weeks. With all the third party stuff coming there's no need to go all out like Nintendo did with the Wii U.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The problem they ran into with the Vita launch is that they threw almost everything they had at it on launch day. That led to a dead period not too long afterward. They need to learn from that. If they have inFamous, KZ, Knack and DriveClub all planned for launch and then they look at their other games and realize that they next big title won't be released for 4-5 months from that point, then they seriously need to look into pulling some of those launch titles.

We also need to understand that not everybody is a crazy enthusiast like some of us here on GAF.

Most people don't buy 5 games with a console. They'll drop the $200-$300 on the console, and then maybe buy 1 game. 2 at the most.

I still haven't bought every game I wanted to get on the Vita during it's first year. There are still launch titles I have yet to pick up, simply due to time, and having more than enough to play on the console.

I think Sony did the right thing by having a diverse, large lineup at launch. It had something for everybody.

I tend to look at GAF as an exception to the rule when it comes to software purchasing. We tend to buy every major game that releases, when it releases. Well, I don't, actually, and that's served me well, because this "dry period" that people keep referring to for the Vita never affected me.

I've consistently had things to play on my Vita since it launched and I bought it day one. Why? Because I simply don't buy every game when it releases. Persona 4 came out last year. I just bought it Tuesday. Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward came out last year as well. I still haven't bought it yet, but I will in a few months, once I chip away at my backlog.

Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation released last October. I just beat it earlier this month. It's all about pacing yourself and your gaming time. I don't have a ton of time to play games, but when I do, I'm playing for maybe 1-2 hours max. Between my Vita titles, PSP titles, and PS1 classics, I have so many games to play and complete that I won't have much time for the new stuff coming out like Soul Sacrifice, Machinarium, and others. I'll buy them eventually, but they may not be day 1.

Not everybody is going to be rushing out, buying all new releases, and then completing them within days, only to be bored and left with nothing to play.

I'm currently working my way through Persona 4, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Corpse Party, MGS HD, Retro City Rampage, Sly: TiT, FF Tactics, Alundra, etc, etc. I technically don't have to buy any new games for a long, long time, but I'll pick up games like Guacamelee and Dragon's Crown on the Vita when they release.

The Vita has not had a lack of games for me, personally, due to time and budget restraints, most of it self imposed, some of it not.

The PS4, if it launches with over 15 titles, would be great. It will give people choice. The big games will always cannibalize the smaller games. That's just the way it is, really.

There's almost always a big game releasing, with only a handful of months that are truly dry.

I'll definitely be picking up Killzone and inFAMOUS when they release. If they are launch titles, those will probably be the only two I buy. The others (like Watch Dogs, and ACIV), will probably wait a few months for me, personally.

We also need to understand that not everybody is a crazy enthusiast like some of us here on GAF.

Most people don't buy 5 games with a console. They'll drop the $200-$300 on the console, and then maybe buy 1 game. 2 at the most.

I still haven't bought every game I wanted to get on the Vita during it's first year. There are still launch titles I have yet to pick up, simply due to time, and having more than enough to play on the console.

I think Sony did the right thing by having a diverse, large lineup at launch. It had something for everybody.

I tend to look at GAF as an exception to the rule when it comes to software purchasing. We tend to buy every major game that releases, when it releases. Well, I don't, actually, and that's served me well, because this "dry period" that people keep referring to for the Vita never affected me.

I've consistently had things to play on my Vita since it launched and I bought it day one. Why? Because I simply don't buy every game when it releases. Persona 4 came out last year. I just bought it Tuesday. Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward came out last year as well. I still haven't bought it yet, but I will in a few months, once I chip away at my backlog.

Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation released last October. I just beat it earlier this month. It's all about pacing yourself and your gaming time. I don't have a ton of time to play games, but when I do, I'm playing for maybe 1-2 hours max. Between my Vita titles, PSP titles, and PS1 classics, I have so many games to play and complete that I won't have much time for the new stuff coming out like Soul Sacrifice, Machinarium, and others. I'll buy them eventually, but they may not be day 1.

Not everybody is going to be rushing out, buying all new releases, and then completing them within days, only to be bored and left with nothing to play.

I'm currently working my way through Persona 4, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Corpse Party, MGS HD, Retro City Rampage, Sly: TiT, FF Tactics, Alundra, etc, etc. I technically don't have to buy any new games for a long, long time, but I'll pick up games like Guacamelee and Dragon's Crown on the Vita when they release.

The Vita has not had a lack of games for me, personally, due to time and budget restraints, most of it self imposed, some of it not.

The PS4, if it launches with over 15 titles, would be great. It will give people choice. The big games will always cannibalize the smaller games. That's just the way it is, really.

There's almost always a big game releasing, with only a handful of months that are truly dry.

I'll definitely be picking up Killzone and inFAMOUS when they release. If they are launch titles, those will probably be the only two I buy. The others (like Watch Dogs, and ACIV), will probably wait a few months for me, personally.

If Sony launches all the games that they showed at PS4 reveal, 3 of them will bomb, since there will be stiff competition and not enough PS4 either shortage or lack of comsumer buying them. Why would Sony send all these PS4 game to face COd/BF/AC among others at holiday season while Sony can release Infamous in January and Knack in February, Drive Club in March and have better opportunity to sell the games, and consumers will have the money to buy the games if they choose to. Instead of consumers choosing COD/BF/AC and ignoring these titles. You have to realize that there won´t be many PS4 available at launch. That alone should limit the release of some of Sony´s first party games.

ascii42

If Sony launches all the games that they showed at PS4 reveal, 3 of them will bomb, since there will be stiff competition and not enough PS4 either shortage or lack of comsumer buying them. Why would Sony send all these PS4 game to face COd/BF/AC among others at holiday season while Sony can release Infamous in January and Knack in February, Drive Club in March and have better opportunity to sell the games, and consumers will have the money to buy the games if they choose to. Instead of consumers choosing COD/BF/AC and ignoring these titles. You have to realize that there won´t be many PS4 available at launch. That alone should limit the release of some of Sony´s first party games.

If they don't release them until February, nobody can buy them until February. If they release them at launch, people can buy them whenever they are able.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Are the Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed gamers really going to shell out $400 to play a prettier version of those same games? Especially if PS4 launches in November and those games are already out in their current gen form and possibly on Durango too. To me that sounds like a recipe for a Wii U like reception.

If they don't release them until February, nobody can buy them until February. If they release them at launch, people can buy them whenever they are able.

Are the Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed gamers really going to shell out $400 to play a prettier version of those same games? Especially if PS4 launches in November and those games are already out in their current gen form and possibly on Durango too. To me that sounds like a recipe for a Wii U like reception.

Over crowding games is bad for companies and make the consumers choice harder. We know, at least in the US, if a game did not chart or charted lowly in NDP then it´s not going to sell well in the US. Yeah i know the US is not the world, but Sony is launching there this year. And spreading the titles are good for consumers so they don´t get over whelmed by releasing so many games in a very short time.

I don't recall any open world/ free roaming launch game- or even launch window.
It will be mighty impressive if they can do it and will speak volumes about both the dev's talents and the PS4's architecture.

well we're also getting watch dogs, and assassin's creed.

Mooreberg

original.gif
I loved the way Giant Bomb used him for a bunch of the image headers about the conference.

So, if the pricing of everything isn't insane, we are probably looking at spending:

PS4............................~$400 (If Sony has learned from past mistakes)
Controllers..................~$60 a piece (The price of controllers climbs with every gen)
Games........................~$60 a piece (If games are $70, I can't justify buying more than one)

I'm looking at about $700 bucks before tax on launch day. Not too bad. I can afford that now that I have a good job.

I wonder if we can use PS3 controllers on the PS4. That'd be nice...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Jan
Santa Monica new IP

well they can't just poop a game in 10 months.

SSM fucked up,they should've focused on making a game for PS4 (and make it fresh and new) like the other studio instead of that horrible God of War: Ascension(that killed the series in UK and most likely will bomb in the US too)now SSM will most likely be missing PS4 first two years thank to that bad decision from Shu Yoshida,it's almost the same mistake as GOW2 on PS2 instead of PS3 but at least GOW2 was pretty good unlike GOWA.

SSM fucked up,they should've focused on making a game for PS4 (and make it fresh and new) like the other studio instead of that horrible God of War: Ascension(that killed the series in UK and most likely will bomb in the US too)now SSM will most likely be missing PS4 first two years thank to that bad decision from Shu Yoshida,it's almost the same mistake as GOW2 on PS2 instead of PS3 but at least GOW2 was pretty good unlike GOWA.

They have 2 teams, one is working on a new IP.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

They have a second team working on a new IP.

Spread that's shit out

Launch

Dec
inFamous SS, Knack, COD

Jan

Feb

March

April

May

Launch - Three exclusive titles plus at least seven third-party games. Followed by at least 4 titles per month with at least 1 strong title. Then spread the exclusive content of at least 1 every 3 months.

Flatline

Banned
PS4 Launch:

KZ Shadowfall (FPS)
Drive Club (Racer)

Final Fantasy XV (RPG)

This is getting ridiculous. Does anyone think FF will release anywhere near launch? Seriously?

i-Lo

I think one thing needs mentioning about the franchise is while the visual upgrade from 1 to 2 was significant, one thing that I completely overlooked was that SP devoted quite a large amount of time doing in-engine cutscenes (besides the comic book styled ones). And my goodness, they not only look fantastic but their lip sync animations are at par with what ND does. I do not know if they hand animate it like ND but the results are spectacular.

I restarted playing the game since yesterday from the beginning since 2011.

No wonder when the protagonists says, "You're not in control" it looks so dark realistic.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Ascension, it's a good game but clearly not the best in the series. I think the series has run into fatigue though. SSM need to make something else and something fresh.

But seeing the puported launch line-up, I think Sony must have thought that it would be overkill to squeeze a GoW game in there on top of Killzone, DriveClub, AC, Infamous etc.

Seriously, Sony have so many first-party studios at this point, I think they are trying to juggle them all effectively so that not all of their output all lands within 2 months of PS4s launch.

Top Bottom