• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: inFamous: Second Son is a PS4 launch title

iEZUXaR629nfL.gif

Drive Club (or whatever it is called), Knack, Infamous, and Killzone will likely all be launch titles. I expect the Media Molecule game to be a "launch window" title.

teiresias

I absolutely adored both inFamous games (minus a few nagging issues - but what games don't have those?) so this is definitely good news and solidifies a launch purchase of the console (not a big FPS guy so Killzone wasn't really doing much for me in terms of persuasion).

Sandfox

This is the only PS4 game I'm interested in so having it releasing earlier rather than later would be nice. I still need to beat the first two games before then though lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It'd be nice to have inFamous: Second Son at launch, but that might be kinda crowded in the open-world action/adventure genre with Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed 4 coming out too. I guess we'll have to see when PS4 actually launches and how the games get spread out through the holiday.

Legitimate lols

More and more it looks like I might actually be a day 1 adopter for the first time.

I have to think Sony knew they wanted this to be a launch title when they put Infamous 2 free on Plus. I can't be the only one who was first introduced to the series through PS+, and as a result really liked the game.

Opening of Infamous 2 was just godly. One of the best moments in gaming.

Looking forward to Second Son, please let this rumor be true!

Hate to be a debbie downer but lets be honest, some of these supposed launch games will be pushed back. The average launch customer won't be spending $250-400 for games alone. Many will just buy one or two titles. Doesn't make sense to put out some killed first party titles that may be ignored, especially when Battlefield 4, Call of Duty, and Assassins Creed will be there too.

It's a helluva lot easier to sell games around Christmas time than any other time of the year. If you can hit the launch/holiday buying window, you do it.

But yeah, some games might be pushed back. Some games might have development delays.

Sony can't depend on third-parties to deliver. What if they run into problems? That's out of Sony's control. Or what if the games they are making don't look as good as they should and don't showcase the new hardware as well as Sony would like? We've seen a lot of talk about "lowest common denominator" development for multiplat games for a long time now. Perhaps if third-party developers know they'll be competing with a first-party title, they'll shine that shit up a little better than they might otherwise. Personally, I don't buy the "lowest common denominator" development talk, since I think most developers have a lot of pride in a job well done. But, if you're Sony and you think you have more horsepower in the hardware than the other guys' boxes, the fact that you will have some showcases out there is certainly a little insurance against that unlikely hypothetical. Even if that's not a concern, a bit of a challenge thrown out there to your third-parties to really show off your system can't be a bad thing.

At this stage of the game, if you are Sony, with billions riding on the product, it's better to have too many titles than too few. A gambler is never going to turn down a few extra aces.

Mikey Jr.

If you wanna hook people with your game, you release it on launch day. That is when people are looking for games to buy, and they will probably be more open to buying a new IP.

I think thats what Sony may be trying to do. Hence the dropping of numbers, ie Killzone 4 and Infamous 3.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If you wanna hook people with your game, you release it on launch day. That is when people are looking for games to buy, and they will probably be more open to buying a new IP.

I think thats what Sony may be trying to do. Hence the dropping of numbers, ie Killzone 4 and Infamous 3.
There's also a slim chance that Sony may be releasing a bit earlier than we expect and are going to keep some of their first party releases spread out a bit to keep a flow of games without stepping on each other's sales while still having some heavy hitters out before the holiday season.

Mikey Jr.

There's also a slim chance that Sony may be releasing a bit earlier than we expect and are going to keep some of their first party releases spread out a bit to keep a flow of games without stepping on each other's sales while still having some heavy hitters out before the holiday season.

When they say launch, do they mean day 1, or "launch window". I know they didn't say launch window, but are these things usually implied?

KZ:SF and Infamous:SS on the same day seems fucking batshit crazy.

Takao

Banned
Sounds like a bad idea to dump all this software next to each other. We saw what happened to Vita. It had a good launch lineup, and then slim pickings. But outside of the inevitable drought, there's the fact that the average person only has so much money to spend on games. You figure the PS4 will be $400, and the average game will be $60. Are people really going to be able to spend $500+ buying Watch Dogs, Killzone, Drive Club, inFamous, and Knack? Is Sony going to be able to successfully market each one of those? Probably not. Something like Knack is already getting overlooked, so that's the first title I'd hold back for a release with less competition.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is this really a rumor though ? I assumed it would be the case with most of the stuff they showed during the conference

Destiny's not coming until the middle of next year and Deep Down is still a long way off but they showed both of them at the conference.

Valnen

This is a really good launch, Sony really isn't giving anyone the "no good games at launch" excuse to not pick up a PS4.

fixuis

BF4 and also Knack, which people are really overlooking. Though of course people say they want new IPs lol.

BF4 is probably going to be huge on next-gen consoles.

I'll be getting knack day 1. Looks gorgeous and having mark cerny behind the wheel means i get the same type of joy from this game like back in the day aka crash bandicoot series. One of my most anticipated games. I don't think people realize that everything shown the trailer was real time in game gfx, as was the case for everything that sony showed.

http://i.minus.com/iEZUXaR629nfL[/QUOTE]

omg this gif , it has me in a laughing fit .

hmm PS4 seems like open world central at launch for me right now, want to try ac4, watchdogs, this , drive club(?) (and knack but at this point i dont think that's open world). I should cut back, 5 games at launch is kinda ridiculous and thats without fall probably being as busy as it tends to be anyways.

whitehawk

Banned
So to recap we have at launch:

-Watch Dogs
-Driveclub
-Killzone: Shadow Fall
-Assassin's Creed 4
-Knack
-Infamous: Second Son (strong possibility)

With possibly:

-Battlefield 4
-COD

+
Unannounced titles

Jesus Christ.
Plus I'm sure we'll have a new Ridge Racer.

Kydd BlaZe

Really dug the first inFamous, but I couldn't stomach the sequel as it bored me to tears. Hopefully Second Son will pull me back into the series.

Looking forward to checking it out if it indeed turns out to be a launch title.

I'd prefer if they spread the first party stuff out a little. I won't be getting more than 3 games at launch, but by February I'll be itching for more PS4. That'd be a good time to release this.

Sounds like a bad idea to dump all this software next to each other. We saw what happened to Vita. It had a good launch lineup, and then slim pickings. But outside of the inevitable drought, there's the fact that the average person only has so much money to spend on games. You figure the PS4 will be $400, and the average game will be $60. Are people really going to be able to spend $500+ buying Watch Dogs, Killzone, Drive Club, inFamous, and Knack? Is Sony going to be able to successfully market each one of those? Probably not. Something like Knack is already getting overlooked, so that's the first title I'd hold back for a release with less competition.
Yes, let's start drawing conclusions about post-launch software droughts, criticise marketing campaigns and lament overlooked games before E3 has even happened.

John_B

PS4 got games. Diablo 3 should be there as well I guess.

Sony seems really well prepared for this coming generation. They just need to deliver on price.

Top Bottom