• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: inFamous: Second Son is a PS4 launch title

Muffdraul

I'm slowly compiling a list of pet peeves which I wish were hard-assed laws that every game developer in the world would abide by under penalty of wet-noodle whipping:

1) When you announce your next upcoming project, you have to announce a release date at the same time. And you have to stick to the release date. What this really means is, don't announce your goddamn project to the public until it's far enough along that you can nail down a release date and stick to it, motherfucker. No more announcing your game just because you finished a nice looking proof-of-concept trailer. If this means you don't announce your game until it's in final beta testing, then so be it.

2) The release date should be no more than six months from the announcement. Nobody needs more time than that to promote their game and build up hype as high as it can go. Nobody.

3) Don't show anything to the public unless you're positive it's going to be in the game and in the player's hands. No more of this "Oh yeah, you liked that awesome aspect shown in our first trailer? Well, sorry, but we totally cut it."

4) If you show your game at the unveiling of a new console, then it'd better be available at launch.

ironcreed

Banned
I bought 5 launch games for my Vita.

Then I bought 5 more PSP titles I had never owned or played the same day. I was swamped with stuff to play. Still am, actually.

Hopefully the PS4 will be the same way.

It's already shaping up that way. At least as far as my tastes go. Looking like a launch on steroids to me.

original.gif
lololololol dat drama face

Verendus

Banned
I think the launch window, and the first year in general, will be packed with a quite a few blockbuster games. Sony Studios have had plenty of time to gear up for the PS4, and there are many third party titles to look forward to also. It should be great.

This was amazing, wasn't it? I couldn't stop laughing.

tha_devil

So to recap we have at launch:

-Watch Dogs
-Driveclub
-Killzone: Shadow Fall
-Assassin's Creed 4
-Knack
-Infamous: Second Son (strong possibility)

With possibly:

-Battlefield 4
-COD

+
Unannounced titles

Jesus Christ.

totally sucks(in a good way).

The second thing, that sucks even worse is that im an obsessive collector of collectors edition and steelbook. So i would probably spend 500 euro on AC alone.

Man i really have to save up 1500 euro for end of year :(

ReaperXL7

I understand why but I kind of feel bad that so many people were making fun of Nate Fox and the guy from Evolution. Most of the press did not even seem to who Nate Fox was which was weird since hes always been part of the interview/presentation aspect of the Infamous games.

They were abit dramatic though.

I'm slowly compiling a list of pet peeves which I wish were hard-assed laws that every game developer in the world would abide by under penalty of wet-noodle whipping:

1) When you announce your next upcoming project, you have to announce a release date at the same time. And you have to stick to the release date. What this really means is, don't announce your goddamn project to the public until it's far enough along that you can nail down a release date and stick to it, motherfucker. No more announcing your game just because you finished a nice looking proof-of-concept trailer. If this means you don't announce your game until it's in final beta testing, then so be it.

2) The release date should be no more than six months from the announcement. Nobody needs more time than that to promote their game and build up hype as high as it can go. Nobody.

3) Don't show anything to the public unless you're positive it's going to be in the game and in the player's hands. No more of this "Oh yeah, you liked that awesome aspect shown in our first trailer? Well, sorry, but we totally cut it."

4) If you show your game at the unveiling of a new console, then it'd better be available at launch.
How idiotic, game development can run into a lot of problems, its a complex beast and release dates will always be targets. Targets can be missed when problems occurs.

Second, only announcing launch titles? Wow, what a great way to get people excited about a console, by not showing the, what's in store for its future!

lantus

This sounds very plausible to me, Sony seems so have the reins under control with their release schedule. (The obvious exception being the Last Gaurdian) If this turns out to be true then Killzone, Knack and InFamous would be a fucking awesome launch! Hell even within the first few months would be great! Not to mention the 3rd party games that are starting to pile up!

wow the reality just hit me, the PS4 is coming this year, holy shit its really happening, I gotta start saving money. How soon can we expect the next mass of PS4 info? GDC?

How idiotic, game development can run into a lot of problems, its a complex beast and release dates will always be targets. Targets can be missed when problems occurs.

Second, only announcing launch titles? Wow, what a great way to get people excited about a console, by not showing the, what's in store for its future!

Especially when we just saw that fail miserably with wiiu

Muffdraul

There are always exceptions. The real issue is that games are often announced way, way, waaaay too early, long before the project has solidified and stabilized. That's why target dates are missed. If they would just let development go for long enough before announcing the game, there'd be a hell of a lot less release date delays.

The launch of a console *IS* it's future.

And, idiotic? Go fuck yourself, prick.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It's already shaping up that way. At least as far as my tastes go. Looking like a launch on steroids to me.

Same for me. I love sandbox games, and I love Killzone. So Shadowfall and Second Son are enough for me. Everything else like Watch Dogs, and maybe Assassin's Creed 4 are icing on the cake.

I hope, more than anything, that Sony gets Insomniac to produce a Ratchet and Clank title in the vein of Up Your Arsenal and A Crack in Time sometime in the PS4's immediate future. I'm dying to see the R&C world with PS4 visuals. A Crack in Time was breathtaking.

Also: Heavenly Sword 2 PS4. Make it happen, Sony! Nariko needs more love!

DieH@rd

Banned

All games were announced at the reveal event held 3 months before console's first E3. We still have a ton of time for game announcements.

As if the real problem wasn't a shitty launch lineup with nothing even remotely approaching a killer app.

Sure but there was not a bit of excitement with the launch which at least in part came fro the complete blank post lineup

Doubt it. This would mean the launch will be amazing, which is too good to be true.

the bad news comes 2-3 months before launch

it needs to happen. needs to be the best launch ever.

Actually it sounds stupid. Sony should not over crowed PS4 launch because the games will cannibalize each other. Sony should spread launch titles so there would be no drought. At least no exclusive drought.

2 different types of games. it'll do fine. we'll play Killzone well into the next year until mid 2014.

Hindle

Banned
I'm expecting the coming generation to have one of the best ever launches from a software front. Every dev has been working on games for some time so they should be able to make something decent.

Muffdraul

Sure but there was not a bit of excitement with the launch which at least in part came fro the complete blank post lineup

Nintendo's biggest mistake is that they stopped doing whatever it took to have a new proper Mario or Zelda or something of that caliber at launch. An NSMB throwback doesn't cut it, that much has been proven.

ironcreed

Banned
Actually it sounds stupid. Sony should not over crowed PS4 launch because the games will cannibalize each other. Sony should spread launch titles so there would be no drought. At least no exclusive drought.

I doubt there will be a drought with the steady stream of third party support, in addition to the exclusives. Don't forget games like Destiny that will be rolling on in after a new Assassin's Creed, COD, etc.

I would rather see a strong launch with a nice flow of games into next year, rather than see them get criticized for having no games. Take a look at the Wii U and how it is not selling. Why? A weak lineup. Games sell systems, so the more, the merrier.

Perkel

Banned
Both Killzone and Infamous can stand on their own. Knack most likely can´t. That´s why Knack should be launch title.

You don't count children. You won't buy your kid for christmas BF4 or Second Son you will buy him Knack.

My not-MichealPatcher moment:

Knack will be bestseller. You can mark my post.

Both Killzone and Infamous can stand on their own. Knack most likely can´t. That´s why Knack should be launch title.

Knack probably would bomb regardless. but having it at launch yeah should be easy for people to pick up a game at launch with the slim but quality games should help it maybe. we'll see what else is coming at launch. E3 is only 2 months and a couple weeks away.

You don't count children. You won't buy your kid for christmas BF4 or Second Son you will buy him Knack.

My not-MichealPatcher moment:

Knack will be bestseller. You can mark my post.

Killzone will be system seller. Best shooter until COD is out. Knack should have been packed in.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

Not everybody likes the same games. That's why having a diverse portfolio is so important, and one of the things that I think Sony does super well.

Imagine if the Vita had only launched with Uncharted and wipEout 2048, and some third party filler like Ben 10. Some people would be really happy. Others would not.

Thankfully, the Vita launched with about 25 titles, all from different genres. I got Uncharted, wipEout, Rayman, TFS: Mutant Blobs Attack, and Super Stardust Delta. All of those games were diverse, and quality.

Other people got Lumines, Hot Shots, and some other stuff.

Catering to a broad spectrum of tastes is great. It'd suck if all the PS4 had for launch was Drive Club and Killzone. I'm not a big racing fan, but I love Killzone. However, Killzone just wouldn't be enough for me to fork over the money for a console. inFAMOUS, however, is. For me. It's a killer app, system seller for me. But it may not be for other people.

Knack may be a system seller for some, but it's not for me.

Misterhbk

Will definitely be getting this day 1. love love love the infamous games. Sad day that Cole is gone, but I want to see where Sucker Punch goes with this. they'll have their time to shine if this hits at launch since it'll be the biggest first party game along with KZ

ironcreed

Banned
Not everybody likes the same games. That's why having a diverse portfolio is so important, and one of the things that I think Sony does super well.

Imagine if the Vita had only launched with Uncharted and wipEout 2048, and some third party filler like Ben 10. Some people would be really happy. Others would not.

Thankfully, the Vita launched with about 25 titles, all from different genres. I got Uncharted, wipEout, Rayman, TFS: Mutant Blobs Attack, and Super Stardust Delta. All of those games were diverse, and quality.

Catering to a broad spectrum of tastes is great. It'd suck if all the PS4 had for launch was Drive Club and Killzone. I'm not a big racing fan, but I love Killzone. However, Killzone just wouldn't be enough for me to fork over the money for a console. inFAMOUS, however, is. For me. It's a killer app, system seller for me. But it may not be for other people.

Spot on. The more people you can appeal to, the more systems that you will sell. That is why having a strong and diverse library is so important. Games are what sells a system.

Vita isnt the best example to use as it didnt sell well at launch and most of the titles got cannibalized by the bigger games like uncharted. Agree with the overall point though

TEH-CJ

Banned
I think the launch window, and the first year in general, will be packed with a quite a few blockbuster games. Sony Studios have had plenty of time to gear up for the PS4, and there are many third party titles to look forward to also. It should be great.

This was amazing, wasn't it? I couldn't stop laughing.

I literally went red in the face watching it, I had to pull away. I was just as embarrassed as he was lol.

USC-fan

Banned
So "launch window":

Second Son -buy
AC black flag -buy
BF4 -buy
Killzone -buy
Knack -maybe
Watch_dogs -buy
Drive Club -maybe
Diablo III - buy

Plus:
Madden -buy
COD -buy

Wow they should spread this out. I might spend more on games than the console itself...

tha_devil

So "launch window":

Second Son -buy
AC black flag -buy
BF4 -buy
Killzone -buy
Knack -maybe
Watch_dogs -buy
Drive Club -maybe
Diablo III - buy

Plus:
Madden -buy
COD -buy

Wow they should spread this out. I might spend more on games than the console itself...

It might be better to delay some 1st party titles if 3rd partys wont drop the ball and come with a lot of launch titles.

Top Bottom