• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor mill - New Xbox Devkits in Korea

Topher

Gold Member
Incoming.....

Shots Fired Lol GIF by Jonas Mosesson

Darsxx82

The last certified XDK was in 2020 for XSS and XSX.... Curious moment to say the least.🤔and more thinking about what they are going to "announce new hardware for hollidays"

Last edited:
That vacuum cleaner All-Digital Series X wouldn't need a new devkit, and I don't think they're doing a Pro this gen.

So, this is probably that "Next-box" hardware gen and this is the first of likely many devkits for it as they iterate.

Those 2026 rumors might've been accurate after all.

The last certified XDK was in 2020 for XSS and XSX.... Curious moment to say the least.🤔and more thinking about what they are going to "announce new hardware for hollidays"

Would be very surprised if there's any new hardware outside the vacuum cleaner All-Digital Series X, and like others have said that wouldn't require a whole new devkit.

This is probably for a hardware platform beyond Series consoles, and likely the first of a series of devkit iterations. I highly doubt MS are going to launch a new generation of hardware this year, but those 2026 hardware rumors from weeks/months ago might've been accurate.

Also meaning certain other rumors may've been accurate, but that is a different discussion (kind of).

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Thats why I finding this interesting, why?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this pretty standard for NexGen consul? Seems like the first or beta versions for some future consul doesn’t mean there’s a pro available just means that maybe Microsoft is trying to get way out of the game and get some beta development tools out so they have better efficiency on launch in a few years

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this pretty standard for NexGen consul? Seems like the first or beta versions for some future consul doesn’t mean there’s a pro available just means that maybe Microsoft is trying to get way out of the game and get some beta development tools out so they have better efficiency on launch in a few years
I am still expecting the nextbox to launch much earlier than the PS6 but this seems very early for devkits for that Xbox

I dunno maybe the handheld?

intbal

A hardware redesign without any change in specs wouldn't warrant different developer kits.
Perhaps they've redesigned the kits so they're cheaper to produce. It would be a new electronics device and would thus require new certification.

fatmarco

They shouldn't bother with a slim Xbox redesign, just give us a more powerful machine by hook or by crook.

The optics of them launching a Slim console as Sony launches a Pro console, with no more powerful Xbox on the horizon, will be further devastation to a system that just needs a win somewhere.

30-35 Tflops, Zen5, Nov 2026, I see it.

I mean, more power isn't the reason for Xbox's woes in console hardware sales, but 30-35 TF of (single-issue) shader compute in 2026 is believable.

Still don't think yet another traditional console will do anything for them though; they need a significantly different business model and it should be obvious what that is. If they do it or not is a whole different question.

StereoVsn

A hardware redesign without any change in specs wouldn't warrant different developer kits.
You say that, but devs are people too. Wouldn’t they want to have an adorable dev kit vs current with brutalist architecture? Plus MS is courting Japanese developers and adorable == kawaii as my kids tell me from their mangas and animes! 😁😉

Top Bottom