• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor mill - New Xbox Devkits in Korea

Varteras

Gold Member
Thats always possible but literally no one is talking about it even people who would likely know

Yeah that's what is making me question this. Microsoft has been a far leakier ship than Sony, yet we already know devkits went out for PS5 Pro, the specs leaked, and we've been hearing about it for a year already from reliable sources. Yet no one has said anything about a Pro variant of Xbox. Even suggested by Spencer to DF that Series X was already that. It has been practically crickets. Most rumors have suggested Microsoft targeting a 2026 or 2027 release for a whole new device. Ahead of PS6 in possibly 2028. With less than 9 months to go before the holidays, it's a little too quiet if Xbox has a PS5 Pro competitor. Potentially complicating that thought even more is the seeming push for Xbox exclusives to go to PlayStation and Nintendo.

onQ123

The "sustainability" thing there just seems like they're going to reconfigure things to be more energy efficient. I, honestly, don't see why they would need to change / upgrade I/O systems for just a design refresh.
If I remember correctly their I/O was a generation behind PS5 in some cases so they probably just wanted to bring things up to spec

onQ123

I mean if they don't release an actual Pro or SX2 within the next year or two i will probably buy a couple of these
They already came out & said they are not releasing a pro console because Series X is their pro model the next upgrade will be a whole new beast.

They have the floor to start the full RT & AI Revolution because PS6 isn't coming until 2027 or later

Topher

Gold Member
I/O was the most important change this generation & you doubt they would upgrade the devkits when they upgrade Brooklyn? Lol

Huh? Are you referring to SSD IO?

The "sustainability" thing there just seems like they're going to reconfigure things to be more energy efficient. I, honestly, don't see why they would need to change / upgrade I/O systems for just a design refresh.

That's part of the design refresh though, right? We are just talking about BT, wifi and maybe upgrading USB here.

Kokoloko85

That vacuum cleaner All-Digital Series X wouldn't need a new devkit, and I don't think they're doing a Pro this gen.

So, this is probably that "Next-box" hardware gen and this is the first of likely many devkits for it as they iterate.

Those 2026 rumors might've been accurate after all.

Would be very surprised if there's any new hardware outside the vacuum cleaner All-Digital Series X, and like others have said that wouldn't require a whole new devkit.

This is probably for a hardware platform beyond Series consoles, and likely the first of a series of devkit iterations. I highly doubt MS are going to launch a new generation of hardware this year, but those 2026 hardware rumors from weeks/months ago might've been accurate.

Also meaning certain other rumors may've been accurate, but that is a different discussion (kind of).

They are either gonna do a pro a year after PS5 or release next gen early.
All to try catch PS out and go for most powerful console again lol.

I cant remember where I read it but they either phil or someone else mentioned the success they releasing a year earlier with the 360.
Ila fantasy again for Xbox but it might be therr last attemp

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Huh? Are you referring to SSD IO?

That's part of the design refresh though, right? We are just talking about BT, wifi and maybe upgrading USB here.

You're right. Upgrading to WiFi 6 and a newer / faster USB standard would probably also come under I/O category (right ?)

They already came out & said they are not releasing a pro console because Series X is their pro model the next upgrade will be a whole new beast.

They have the floor to start the full RT & AI Revolution because PS6 isn't coming until 2027 or later
They can't start the RT revolution because the hardware isn't there. We won't have convincing console-spec RT solution until 2nm chips and several more architecture iterations.

MarkMe2525

Idk, so many things up in the air with Xbox that I don't know what to make of this info. If I were to guess, I would throw my money in with the lot that are saying handheld.

Edit: is it also possible that this is a refresh devkit for current Series Consoles?

Last edited:

Kings Field

A dedicated Xbox handheld would be sick. I find myself remote playing Xbox far more than PlayStation on my deck and if I’m able to download gamepass and owned games natively onto the handheld I would buy it in an instant.

Topher

Gold Member
You're right. Upgrading to WiFi 6 and a newer / faster USB standard would probably also come under I/O category (right ?)

The graphic refers to southbridge specifically which handles a number of IO subsystems.

"A southbridge chipset handled many of a computer's I/O functions, such as USB, audio, the system BIOS, the ISA bus or the LPC bus, the low speed PCI/PCIe bus, the IOAPIC interrupt controller, the SATA storage, the historical PATA storage, and the NVMe storage."

Impossible. GAF told me MS was exiting the console market.

GAF also told you MS wasn't exiting the console market.

Last edited:
A dedicated Xbox handheld would be sick. I find myself remote playing Xbox far more than PlayStation on my deck and if I’m able to download gamepass and owned games natively onto the handheld I would buy it in an instant.

I'd be down for a dedicated handheld or a tablet-style device that connects to your existing xbox controller etc. WhyNotBoth.gif.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Reads like a generational leap. Like going from 18xx series to 28xx series.

If they're really adamant about no mid-gen then 2026 for a new gen seems extremely plausible. It'd be 6 years since this gen started by then.
I for sure know who to ask but never ask him direct questions about stuff

Never want people in my circles to feel I am using them for info

twilo99

If they're really adamant about no mid-gen then 2026 for a new gen seems extremely plausible. It'd be 6 years since this gen started by then.

I dunno 5/6 year cycle would allow them to keep the hardware a bit more current instead of what we have now where you have to use a zen2 CPU on what is essentially a 2025 model year box.

I dunno 5/6 year cycle would allow them to keep the hardware a bit more current instead of what we have now where you have to use a zen2 CPU on what is essentially a 2025 model year box.
Yeah but it just seems strange to rush, it'll be expensive and let's be real we still haven't seen gameplay from a bunch of the games that were announced before the Series consoles launched yet, most of them probably won't even come out until 2025. There is no real reason to rush, power isn't the problem it's the people running the ship there not getting it IMO.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I think that, unless they raise the price of the box and its size, it is not going to be exactly what people dream about.

I am talking about effective improvements vs the feeling of “having current HW”. You will see why Sony decided not to change several components, raise price, and only focus on some of them for the PS5 Pro. Even knowing the expectations of a Pro console are not the same as a full generational jump.

Shortening the cycle increases the amount of software they will have to develop in a cross-generation way (holding the new HW back) meanwhile the slowdown in Moore’s Law (increase in cost to develop and manufacture chips on more advanced manufacturing nodes and the fact that it takes longer and longer to go from one manufacturing node to another [in terms of meaningful jumps]) does not make it easier to shorten the cycles, but harder and less effective. Add to that that we are way past the point of diminishing returns in graphics (where noticeable improvements in visual quality require more and more, more than linear, improvements in performance required), increased software complexity (programming the next generation HW is bound to get more complex if you really want to get all the performance the paper specs promise… these multi-core and multi-GPU beasts are not a solved problem, not easily anyways).

People expected the moon in a 4 years Pro console and in just two more years they expect something to completely eclipse it and the previous generation. I do not think it is enough, but 🤷‍♂️.

JackMcGunns

I hope its a beast

giphy-downsized-large.gif

B..................T
.... E....... S
..........A
.... E.... ...S
B..................T

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Tens of thousands of Xbox one X’s (Microsoft’s version of the ps4 pro) have been sold—a pro version of the series x will be made.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If there is an MS handheld thats more powerful than a ROG Ally - with an OLED screen. I am sold day one. Ill still keep my Ally for Steam, windows stuff but would love a dedicated style Xbox console that plays all Xbox console content.

Darsxx82

The deadlines are interesting. It would be funny if a simple revision of XSX took 12 months more than the development of DevKit for a new generation (XSeries)🤔😅

On the other hand, this generation is being quite strange and it seems that the deadlines are a year late (COVID?). Logically, a revision of XSX must be launched no matter what, for reasons of pure economics and manufacturing savings (whether or not there is an XSX Pro). Also logically, it should also come out before any possible "Pro" console.

If those DevKits have already been certified, it means that the launch of that new hardware is 3-5 months away... It is curious that no one has leaked or has references at this point, not even to the existence of a simple review of XSX.🙄

Most likely an ALPHA kit, i remember before xbox360 was released, developers had alpha, beta and final SDK's. I don't think MS needs to do much, cause its same OS for UI. Specs would def be an upgrade compared to Series X but not quite on par for final release. Hoping for an awesome 9-9-99 Dreamcast like launch with 12 brand new games of each genre, 4k 60hz-120hz or even 8k 60hz with no dips + raytracing ready to go

saintjules

Interesting if true. Sounds like the Xbox 360 tactic where they release their new box a year ahead of their competitor.

Thing is though, what kind of games will you have for a 2026 launch? It will be future games entering the cross-gen phase with one new-gen Console in that space, right?

I don't imagine most devs are ready for next-gen in 2026, so I'm wondering what is there to gain there. Now if you are saying you have 1st party next-gen games ready to go in Holiday 2026, then I could see them getting that head start.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I think more and more its the handheld coming this holiday
That is going to be interesting with so much competition that can already play MS/Xbox games. I hope it motivates them to deliver something special instead of just a "me too" device. I do like Xbox branding though so it could just look cool and I will be interested.

*I guess Game Pass could be a draw for some people.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I think more and more its the handheld coming this holiday

IMO, if there was any new hardware coming by this holidays, leaks about it would be aplenty like Pro's leaks have been for a while. Also based on these listings, looks like dev-kits are *just* being sent out / certified. Not enough time to start developing software for it.

Topher

Gold Member
IMO, if there was any new hardware coming by this holidays, leaks about it would be aplenty like Pro's leaks have been for a while. Also based on these listings, looks like dev-kits are *just* being sent out / certified. Not enough time to start developing software for it.

A new handheld would probably just need to be “certified” like it is with Steam Deck. I think any new handhelds going forward will not have its own library of games.

adamsapple

A new handheld would probably just need to be “certified” like it is with Steam Deck. I think any new handhelds going forward will not have its own library of games.

Another reason I don't think it's a handheld is because they're 'allying' with multiple other PC handhelds already, and if they want to buck the trend and make one of their own, they'll first need to release a portable friendly version of Windows 11. Unless this is just a portable form-factored Series S level hardware.

Topher

Gold Member
Another reason I don't think it's a handheld is because they're 'allying' with multiple other PC handhelds already, and if they want to buck the trend and make one of their own, they'll first need to release a portable friendly version of Windows 11. Unless this is just a portable form-factored Series S level hardware.

Sure....but that's only a concern for their partners if this is a Windows handheld If is an Xbox that only plays Xbox games then I don't see any issue. That would be a lot more interesting than yet another console destined to fail, imo.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
XSX pro (XSZ?) here we come!

Microsoft should just go all out. Put in a 7900 XTX, Ryzen 9 with 64GB of DDR5 RAM. Put in a 5TB SSD and top it off with two-phase cooling system.

Throw caution to the wind and sell it for £300 with six months of GP thrown in.

Become the leader in the console rave over night.

Boom.

THE:MILKMAN

I still think they will bring a very powerful traditional based console within the next 24 months

I mean that is even more surprising as at this point (~2 years out) the silicon would pretty much be done and they've been working on it 3/4 years yet we've heard nothing until now. Also they'd be committed to tech from a couple of years ago and that could date very quickly. Can we expect a big event from MS to at least announce this HW and a overview of performance/specs/vision?

Top Bottom