• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor mill - New Xbox Devkits in Korea

Xyphie

Likely all it is but would you need to send out all new devkits for that?

Otherwise they'd have to keep manufacturing the old one. MS might just want to manufacture one motherboard going forward, so they'd have to certify the new one. There could also be some edge cases which a developer might need to test against. It could be you need the newer wireless specs to get some of the features of the new rumored controller for instance, so devs need a newer dev kit to make sure lift to wake or whatever doesn't crash their game.

sebile_xbox_controller.jpg

Last edited:

MikeM

Ask Microsoft

c0kx6SW.jpg
Apparently the Series consoles were using the Xbox One southbridge. I’m not a dev so no idea if a new SDK is required for that hardware component. Couldn’t imagine being told to buy new SDKs because of it unless MS paid for the upgrades themselves.

baphomet

It's just the updated dev kit for the new Series S/X model.

Just like Microsoft have always done with dev kits for their slim models.

SoloCamo

With the success of the SteamDeck I wouldn't be surprised if this goes that route. MS is always reactionary, just like most oversized companies. A windows based handheld from a company the console / general consumers know could do quite well and current AMD APU's are definitely great for it.

MS is in a tough spot -

-PC players aren't going to jump ship to one of their consoles (many already have pc's that are more powerful than what next gen will probably even offer)

-Sony has clearly won this generation

-Nintendo has the kid friendly games on lock down

-Gamepass isn't the bread & butter it was supposed to be

At this point I don't know what direction they could take but an "adult" version of something like a Switch could really take off.

Last edited:

baphomet

Not a thing. Why do you think I am asking questions?

You're asking how I know that's how it works.

Because that's how it works. Microsoft make dev kits for every model of console they have.

You want an original Xbox 360 dev kit? They made them. 360 slim dev kit? Made them too. How about the 360 slim E? Yup, also dev kits for those. Xbox One? They're out there. One S? you guessed it, they made them. One X? Sure enough, they made them.

Darsxx82

It's just the updated dev kit for the new Series S/X model.

Just like Microsoft have always done with dev kits for their slim models.
??? I think MS didn't do such a thing last generation for example. Only switches to a new devkit in the form of XBO X (with double the VRAM) which it can covered the developments of XBO, XBO S and XBO X.

Previously (to Scorpio) the developments for XBO S were carried out under the old XBO devkit (somewhat less powerful) and that is why you could see previous games with several extra fps compared to the original XBO and even the devkit itself.

Last edited:
Thats why I finding this interesting, why?
You're privy to new hardware Heisenberg right? 2025/26 was mentioned by you. Is the timescale about right for giving developers enough time to target the specs? Just curious how long before release of a next-gen console do developers usually get the target specs?

Topher

Gold Member
You're asking how I know that's how it works.

Because that's how it works. Microsoft make dev kits for every model of console they have.

You want an original Xbox 360 dev kit? They made them. 360 slim dev kit? Made them too. How about the 360 slim E? Yup, also dev kits for those. Xbox One? They're out there. One S? you guessed it, they made them. One X? Sure enough, they made them.

Eh.....nevermind man. You don't seem to understand that "because that's how it works" is basically the same thing as saying "trust me bro".

I was genuinely curious which is why I was asking, but your answers tell me you don't really know either way.

baphomet

??? MS didn't do such a thing last generation for example. Only switches to a new devkit in the form of XBO X (with double the VRAM) which covered the developments of XBO, XBO S and XBO X.

Previously (to Scorpio) the developments for XBO S were carried out under the old XBO devkit (somewhat less powerful) and that is why you could see previous games with several extra fps compared to the original XBO and even the devkit itself.
Yes they did.

FPR2TNA.jpg

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You're privy to new hardware Heisenberg right? 2025/26 was mentioned by you. Is the timescale about right for giving developers enough time to target the specs? Just curious how long before release of a next-gen console do developers usually get the target specs?
Correct I was told MS was looking hard into what they could produce for a late 2025 early 2026 launch of a next gen Xbox.

They were doing enough work that Kepler saw things in his data mining that lead him to believe the same thing as he Tweeted as such

That said I would think your closest first party devs would know specs pretty far out as devs had the PS5 Pro first kits some 6 months ago

This feels different though, would they push out a new dev kit in Korea or something totally new?

Would it need new dev kits for even the FTC leak refresh?

Darsxx82

Would it need new dev kits for even the FTC leak refresh?

Spencer publicly said that plans had changed regarding those leaked documents.... It would be very funny if in the end nothing had changed and everything had stayed exactly the same. It would be one more example to add to the continuous contradictions of recent times😅🤣

I think it could be anything. Perhaps the new controller and its functionalities require a renewed Devkit?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Spencer publicly said that plans had changed regarding those leaked documents.... It would be very funny if in the end nothing had changed and everything had stayed exactly the same. It would be one more example to add to the continuous contradictions of recent times😅🤣

I think it could be anything. Perhaps the new controller and its functionalities require a renewed Devkit?
I think those plans changed a lot from those slides.

Darsxx82

I think those plans changed a lot from those slides.
The issue is knowing in what aspect it has changed. We all can thinks that a revision of XSX is something that is puré logic. It is an obligation to save costs to create these revisions. These will always exist.

That is, what would make the plan "different" is if there was another type of different hardware (whether handlead or XS Pro) in the period of time described. XSX "slim" was always going to be a reality.

Then. When Sarah Bond talked about guaranteeing to offer "the biggest graphical leap ever seen" for the NextXBOX it does not match hardware that could be launched in 2025-26. Mainly because in that time you will only have the same games as PS5 and XSeries at a higher resolution or RT.

Anyway, I think that if these DevKits are already reaching developers, it will be a matter of little time before it is leaked what they are about.

King Dazzar

I assume any implementation of haptics on new controllers, would be a simple software update. And the refreshes were meant to be shelved. or are they? But then there was Bond's recent holiday season hardware comment. But that was worded more like news, rather than release.

Topher

Gold Member
Well, I never heard of it. It was always said that you could develop any version of XBO (XBO, XBO s and XBO x) through the same Scorpio Devkit. I guess they renewed the devKits in the space until the release of XBO X?

One S and One X dev kits make sense to me since there were spec changes in both, albeit minor changes in One S. But even then, if we look at that picture it is just a stock One S with a special cover. I googled a bit and seems the One X looks more like a dev kit one would expect:

figured-yall-would-enjoy-this-one-s-one-x-xdk-v0-6c8fivb63d991.jpg

Darsxx82

One S and One X dev kits make sense to me since there were spec changes in both, albeit minor changes in One S. But even then, if we look at that picture it is just a stock One S with a special cover. I googled a bit and seems the One X looks more like a dev kit one would expect:

figured-yall-would-enjoy-this-one-s-one-x-xdk-v0-6c8fivb63d991.jpg

It is true, XBO S presented new hardware compared to XBO. On the other hand, currently there is only one model or form of DevKit for XSS and is already significantly superior in specs to XSX.

I don't know, it could be anything. Whatever it is, it will surely be leaked in a short time as it will already reach developers.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I am still expecting the nextbox to launch much earlier than the PS6 but this seems very early for devkits for that Xbox

I dunno maybe the handheld?
No way they release a handheld earlier than the next Xbox IMHO. I think it would be a huge mistake unless it’s a portal like device to stream cloud and local Xbox games. Not sure why a devout would be needed for that?

Could it be a devkit for a new variant of windows for handhelds? I know there working on a new os for gaming maybe this is part of it??

Calverz

They shouldn't bother with a slim Xbox redesign, just give us a more powerful machine by hook or by crook.

The optics of them launching a Slim console as Sony launches a Pro console, with no more powerful Xbox on the horizon, will be further devastation to a system that just needs a win somewhere.
Slim? I don’t think so. They don’t need a slim variant. Both systems are small enough and well engineered. Unless you mean the discless series x? I wouldn’t regard that as a ‘slim’ model as I think it was more or less same size as current series x.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ask Microsoft

c0kx6SW.jpg

The "sustainability" thing there just seems like they're going to reconfigure things to be more energy efficient. I, honestly, don't see why they would need to change / upgrade I/O systems for just a design refresh.

yurinka

100TF ZEN5 Wapper!
The only thing I know for sure is that this Series X Pro will Flop hard.

I think it would be smarter to don't release any new Xbox home console and instead just make a PC handheld that would have exactly the same specs than Xbox Series S.

Something that I think makes more sense and I think they are working on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom