• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Monster Hunter 3 coming to PSP

Oldschool

According to a rough translation of a Chinese site, a Capcom Official said in a recent interview that they have not yet decided if "Monster Hunter 3" will be a Wii exclusive. The site rumors that a portable version of "Monster Hunter 3" for the PSP is likely to exist.

Source: Maxconsole

cngba.com

Lock if old/fake.

anddo0

Flunkie said:
PSP + Wii + Monster Hunter = 15 gazillion units sold

Indeed

Besides I don't see why there wouldn't be a PSP version. Its one of the main reasons for the franchise success. Its also no threat to the Wii, so please Capcom make this happen.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What a surprise of tectonic proportions! I bet no one saw this coming when they announced it for Wii! Capcom rickrolled all of us again!

duckroll

This is a totally shocking rumor worthy of a megaton. The Monster Hunter series has always been exclusive to consoles, and have never been released on the PSP. If a console Monster Hunter is ported to the PSP, it would be something no one ever expects.

Amirite? :p

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Capcom port some Exclusive to some other system ? this gen too ? it can't be :p

anyway , stupid question , was Monster Hunter 3 on Wii running on new Engine or the same engine that used for all PS2 and PSP games ?

lynux3

Would be a great move for their business. Why miss out on a multi-million seller on PSP for Wii exclusitivity?

jeremy1456 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it did, but at least half a year later.

Wii version half a year later sounds about right. PSP Monster Hunter 3 can't wait. PSP confirmed definitive version.

Serious question; what was the last title Capcom made that DIDN'T appear on another console? My guess would be UC or Z&W, whichever came out last.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
lynux3 said:
Would be a great move for their business. Why miss out on a multi-million seller on PSP for Wii exclusitivity?

That's the beauty of it: they are tapping two multi-million seller markets! It's a win-win situation for them (and probably the reason they chose Wii instead of PS360).

How did the Monster Hunters for PS2 did, anyone?

derpderpderp.png

I'm going to be that guy, but can someone explain the derp, derp, derp meme? Is it just the weird looking dog or is there more to it?

Unless it's Dragon Ball related, in which case I don't want to know.

As for MH sales on PS2 I belive the first was ~300k, the sequel ~600k. There was an expansion to the first but I can't remember what sort of level it hit.

I read a similar article on my phone but it hinted to a version for the PS3.

I'm sure we will see another version on the PSP and a PS3 version will happen sooner or later.

Poimandres said:
Reminds me of the early days, where many Wii games were ports of PSP games...

Other way around now with Tenchu 4 on the PSP and, if this rumor is true, Monster Hunter 3. I knows that if TvC is on PSP, I'll double dip.

Jokeropia

The Monster Hunter games have always been separate from the Monster Hunter Portable games, and just because the former moved from PS2 to Wii I don't see why anyone should expect them to stop making the latter.

Kyoufu

Cellbomber said:
I read a similar article on my phone but it hinted to a version for the PS3.

I'm sure we will see another version on the PSP and a PS3 version will happen sooner or later.

PS3 version will probably never happen, unless miracles really do exist, or if they're actually smart enough to port over Monster Hunter Frontier.

Jokeropia said:
The Monster Hunter games have always been separate from the Monster Hunter Portable games, and just because the former moved from PS2 to Wii I don't see why anyone should expect them to stop making the latter.

MHP1 was a port of the PS2 game. I can see MHP3rd being a port of MH3.

Gasp, I'm so shocked. I would have never expected Capcom of all people to lie about exclusives. Why, they would be viewed as dishonorable scums by 3 or 4 Japanese hobos. What'll happen to their reputation?

Kyoufu said:
PS3 version will probably never happen, unless miracles really do exist, or if they're actually smart enough to port over Monster Hunter Frontier.

When it was announced didn't Nintendo say something about a 2 year exclusivity, or a console exclusivity of some sort? Or was I imagining that?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Wii's downward spiral continues. So much for that awesome third party support, eh guys?! Maybe now you can all stop using this as the single example of third parties giving a shit.

Link said:
Wii's downward spiral continues. So much for that awesome third party support, eh guys?! Maybe now you can all stop using this as the single example of third parties giving a shit.
As if the game wasn't always being put on the Wii with the intent to port it to PSP and clean up there. :\

Kyoufu

BlazingDarkness said:
how much has Monster Hunter sold on the PSP so far? (collectively)

Roughly 5 million? I don't remember what MHP1 sales were, but MHP2 and MHP2G sold 4million combined in Japan alone.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I AM JOHN! said:
As if the game wasn't always being put on the Wii with the intent to port it to PSP and clean up there. :\
I agree, but other people didn't want to listen.

Evlar

Banned
Link said:
Well you're right. I NEVER expected Capcom to put out another PSP Monster Hunter after the announcement of the Wii version. This rumor crushes my soul.

Link said:

No, they're just delusional. This is Capcom we're talking about here. Capcom's definition of exclusive is even more fucked up than an Xbox 360 fanboy. I pity the people who honestly thought Capcom would keep their promise. My guess is the port will be announced maybe a month or so before the launch of the Wii game like RE4.

Jokeropia

Link said:
You're missing the point. Wii never took the Monster Hunter Portable series from the PSP, it took the Monster Hunter series from the PS3.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Link said:

The fact that the game is being made from the ground for Wii and that the PSP version will be the port tells me otherwise.

RE4 GameCube did not stop being all sorts of awesome just because the PS2 version was announced.

Evlar

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Serious question; what was the last title Capcom made that DIDN'T appear on another console? My guess would be UC or Z&W, whichever came out last.
Monster Hunter Freedom 2?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Regulus Tera said:
RE4 GameCube did not stop being all sorts of awesome just because the PS2 version was announced.
No, but its sales suffered greatly because everyone just waited for the version on the system they actually owned. Much like what's going to happen here.

Evlar

Banned
Link said:
No, but its sales suffered greatly because everyone just waited for the version on the system they actually owned. Much like what's going to happen here.
This is (obviously) why the PSP version of Monster Hunter crashed and burned. People just played Monster Hunter on the PS2 they already owned.

Even though I don't have a PSP but have a Wii, I must admit I'm not surprised or disappointed.

The Wii version is baseline, that's what matters in my opinion, so it as we've seen, pushes the Wii's hardware like mad.

And Sega has been VERY good to the Wii, with a lot of exclusives and some pretty good games period.

Hell, Sonic and the Black Knight seems to be getting very positive previews! I don't recall Unleashed getting nearly as much positive previews when it was first previewed!

Link

The Autumn Wind
Evlar said:
This is (obviously) why the PSP version of Monster Hunter crashed and burned. People just played Monster Hunter on the PS2 they already owned.
The game lends itself much better to a portable audience.

Top Bottom