• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Monster Hunter 3 coming to PSP

Stumpokapow said:
Wow, totally shitty blog reporting mixed with rumours of something everyone knows is going to happen! It's a twofer!

Maxconsole: a rough translation of a chinese site that may or may not be accurate says that mh3 is not necessarily wii exclusive...

Maxconsole: MH3 to PSP!!!! REPORT TO THE INTERNET!

I mean, there's not a doubt in the world that there'll be a Monster Hunter Portable 3 for the PSP. Whether it's a port of the Wii version or a separate game... who knows? who cares? Either way, awful awful reporting.

Exactly. Stuff like this always happens. It was probably just a bad translation error. However whether some like it or not this is pretty much inevitable.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
sprocket said:
do any of you realize how huge MH isin japan. the ps2 games sold a hell of a lot.

JohnnyRam and I have no idea how huge MH is here in Japan... :lol :lol

People in Japan seem to like to play MH together, as in the same room, so it sells way better on the PSP than the PS2.

Blackace said:
JohnnyRam and I have no idea how huge MH is here in Japan... :lol :lol

People in Japan seem to like to play MH together, as in the same room, so it sells way better on the PSP than the PS2.
Doesn't the Wii version have offline multiplayer? It's also seen as more of a "social" console, so that's another thing.

Defuser

EmCeeGramr said:
Doesn't the Wii version have offline multiplayer? It's also seen as more of a "social" console, so that's another thing.
But doesn't have the portability where you can play MH anywhere with your friends.

SilverLunar said:
I pretty much know that.
Even if GF made a proper game on a console, It will never sell like if it was on a handheld.

So you're pretty much making a statement with absolutely no evidence what so ever?

I seem to remember a lot of people here making a big deal about this game being exclusive to Wii. And now it seems like everyone is saying that it was obvious all along that it would be released for PSP.

bigmakstudios said:
I seem to remember a lot of people here making a big deal about this game being exclusive to Wii. And now it seems like everyone is saying that it was obvious all along that it would be released for PSP.
I think the big deal was that it's console exclusive. In other words, no PS3 version.

bigmakstudios said:

I think it was the whole betrayalton aspect. Watching fanboys cry is fun for some people, if though they have no intention of playing the game in question.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I imagine the fun is like, "Let's meet up at lunch and fight a dragon for 20 minutes!" Which is why ad hoc works better than same-screen anyway.

Flying_Phoenix said:
So you're pretty much making a statement with absolutely no evidence what so ever?
Geez, All I wanted to say is that Monster Hunter was more popular on handhelds than consoles, Which resembles Pokemon thats all >_>.

markatisu

bigmakstudios said:

I think if you actually go back and look at the thread when it changed from PS3 to Wii most of the people were talking only of the console version

The fact it might be coming out on the PSP still in no way changes the fact its console exclusive to the Wii

Still confused on what the big deal is besides to argue symantics

Jonnyram

Amir0x said:
Well I just hope it has online this time, that's why I dodged the first two on PSP.
You would think so wouldn't you. I mean, if they could manage it on the PS2 with the total lack of a standard network procedure, they should be able to manage it on Wii.

Amir0x

Banned
of course it's online on Wii, were you making a joke?

I mean the PSP versions are not online, so I skipped out on those two. I was a huge fan of Monster Hunter games on PS2, specifically due to online! So not having online with the PSP versions (none of that Xlink Kai shit, I want integration bitches) made me avoid

Amir0x said:
of course it's online on Wii, were you making a joke?

I mean the PSP versions are not online, so I skipped out on those two. I was a huge fan of Monster Hunter games on PS2, specifically due to online! So not having online with the PSP versions (none of that Xlink Kai shit, I want integration bitches) made me avoid

If it isn't online normally, you can be 100% sure that the PS3 passthrough thing will make it online...then again that requires a PS3

justchris

This isn't exactly news. Everyone with any sense knew it would be coming eventually. The news would be if the PSP version appears anywhere within 6 months of the Wii version. That wold be news. 6 months to a year after the Wii version has had a chance to sell as much as it can, a MHP3 for PSP would be expected.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
bigmakstudios said:

Well ignoring the fact that you are who you are and this thread is like the bat signal for you to troll the Wii (as per usual), you're still conflating two things.

It's been obvious all along that there will be another Monster Hunter for the PSP. It's also true that Monster Hunter 3 is an exclusive to the Wii in the sense that it won't be released on PS3 or 360.

Of course, this entire thread is premised on a speculation, and my instinct would be that any future MHP3 would not be MH3 on PSP, it'd be a separate game, which would only serve to reinforce that the two premises you're bringing up don't contradict one another.

Link

The Autumn Wind
markatisu said:
Also I fail to see how the PSP getting a port of a Wii game would be a sign that 3rd party support left the Wii, or that the Wii suffers because of it
Well, it's hard to lose what you never really had. And, in Japan at least, the Wii is suffering from it.

markatisu said:
I think if you actually go back and look at the thread when it changed from PS3 to Wii most of the people were talking only of the console version

The fact it might be coming out on the PSP still in no way changes the fact its console exclusive to the Wii

Still confused on what the big deal is besides to argue symantics
Being on the PSP in Japan is just as bad for the Wii as if it were on another console. In fact, it's probably worse, considering PSP sells better than the Wii there.

Epcott

Didn't Capcom say they're leaning away from exclusives with their new titles?

Maybe it was another 3rd party giant that made the claim

jeremy1456

Link said:
Well, it's hard to lose what you never really had. And, in Japan at least, the Wii is suffering from it.

Being on the PSP in Japan is just as bad for the Wii as if it were on another console. In fact, it's probably worse, considering PSP sells better than the Wii there.

Unless Capcom completely abandons their past practices in relation to the franchise then Monster Hunter 3 PSP would see release much later than the Wii version.

That wouldn't hurt the Wii as much as you would think.

Ramune

Evlar said:
This is (obviously) why the PSP version of Monster Hunter crashed and burned. People just played Monster Hunter on the PS2 they already owned.

The Monster Hunter Portable games are the PSP's swan songs in Japan. Constantly in the top 10 especially for Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G. There was no crashing and burning over at Capcom for these games. They actually moved PSP units over there. I find it more shocking people though a Monster Hunter Portable/Freedom 3 wasn't going to happen. They already made portable versions of the last 2 games. It's exclusive on Wii in terms of home consoles. But your silly if you thought a PSP Portable/Freedom version wasn't happening.

Edit: Didn't notice this topic is 3 pages long! *Beaten*

ccbfan

LOL at anyone that did expect this.

Heck probably a major reason it was moved from PS3 to Wii is because its a lot easier to convert Wii resources to PSP.

Remember the Wii version is the pre-show. The PSP version is where the big bucks is. It would be a fantastic outing by the Wii version if it could sell 1/2 of the PSP one.

tabsina

So how many people who contributed negatively to the 'wii exclusivity of MH3' thread are now saying that the portable version is the only one that really matters?

Crisis

Banned
So basically we have a rumor of a console-exclusive game going to another system? Am I up to speed here? This is probably going to turn into a shindig of stupid isn't it? :D

Tenbatsu

Amir0x said:
Well I just hope it has online this time, that's why I dodged the first two on PSP.
Yeah plus the tone down difficulty. As its a portable title, they cant make it as hard as the home version. My favourite in the series is still Monster Hunter G where the difficulty is dam high, hope that MH3 Tri will be as difficult.
Anw, its no surprise they will port it, they are afterall, a gaming company.

I have to lol at the trolls!:lol

"Looookkk! Its goingz on da PSP too! Take that, Wii FaNZ!11!!!1!one! WhereZ your 3rd partY suPport NoW?"

Anyone who can remember ANYTHING about Capcom knew it was going to be a PSP port somewhere down the line. They are CAPCOM . . . they outright said they aint making anymore one-console-only HD titles. Mostly no one here thought it was Wii only.

As for consoles? Yeah, I think it's Wii only because of the reason they stated when they moved it to the Wii.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Black-Wind said:
I have to lol at the trolls!:lol

"Looookkk! Its goingz on da PSP too! Take that, Wii FaNZ!11!!!1!one! WhereZ your 3rd partY suPport NoW?"

Anyone who can remember ANYTHING about Capcom knew it was going to be a PSP port somewhere down the line. They are CAPCOM . . . they outright said they aint making anymore one-console-only HD titles. Mostly no one here thought it was Wii only.

As for consoles? Yeah, I think it's Wii only because of the reason they stated when they moved it to the Wii.
Ah, the backpedaling begins.

Link

The Autumn Wind
No, I'm completely serious, actually. This was always the first example people threw out when arguing about third party support getting better on the Wii (which I think is 99% pure crap, btw). Now that there's word it's not exclusive anymore, people are downplaying it with excuses. ("Oh, it's Capcom, they port everything!" "PSP doesn't count since it's a handheld." Etc.)

Link said:
No, I'm completely serious, actually. This was always the first example people threw out when arguing about third party support getting better on the Wii (which I think is 99% pure crap, btw).

In what way has the Wii NOT gotten better third party support this past year? So many quality games were announced this year I can't even begin to count.

Link said:
Now that there's word it's not exclusive anymore, people are downplaying it with excuses. ("Oh, it's Capcom, they port everything!" "PSP doesn't count since it's a handheld." Etc.)

Well those people lack common sense. There was a reason why Capcom wanted the game on Wii to REUSE the PSP engine. Capcom will have this game as a "Wii Exclusive" for about 2 years or so then port the PSP version with slight enhancements. This is the formula Capcom does for these games. This was expected hence why people know that this article is an obvious mistranslation yet are still acknowledging that this will all but guarantee be a reality.

You're acting as if Capcom has "betrayed" the Wii or showing cold feet with its support or something.

Jaded Alyx said:
I think the big deal was that it's console exclusive. In other words, no PS3 version.

WTF?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
It's coming to PSP sure, but it's not going to be a straight port. Stuff will be taken out to make it fit for the PSP, just like MHP2/MH2.

markatisu

Link said:
No, I'm completely serious, actually. This was always the first example people threw out when arguing about third party support getting better on the Wii (which I think is 99% pure crap, btw). Now that there's word it's not exclusive anymore, people are downplaying it with excuses. ("Oh, it's Capcom, they port everything!" "PSP doesn't count since it's a handheld." Etc.)

What downplaying, the series was never going to go console only...EVER.

You are on a roll these last few days man

TreIII

Error said:
It's coming to PSP sure, but it's not going to be a straight port. Stuff will be taken out to make it fit for the PSP, just like MHP2/MH2.

Either that, or they'll save it for the inevitable "PSP-2", which ideally should be able to do more to support some of those features.

In any case, I wouldn't expect to see anything of this sort for quite a while.

Tenbatsu

Capcom just posted this on their MH3 Tri webstie:lol
重要なお知らせ】
一部雑誌記事において、「モンスターハンター3(トライ)のWii以外への展開」という報道がございましたが、当社においてそのような公表は一切、行っておりません。シリーズ最新作『モンスターハンター3(トライ)』は、Wiiの特性を活かし、これまでにないモンスターハンターを創造するべく、鋭意開発を進めております。

株式会社カプコン

http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/3/

TreIII

Tenbatsu said:
Capcom just posted this on their MH3 Tri webstie:lol
重要なお知らせ】
一部雑誌記事において、「モンスターハンター3(トライ)のWii以外への展開」という報道がございましたが、当社においてそのような公表は一切、行っておりません。シリーズ最新作『モンスターハンター3(トライ)』は、Wiiの特性を活かし、これまでにないモンスターハンターを創造するべく、鋭意開発を進めております。

株式会社カプコン

http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/3/

So, in other words they're denying the rumor, correcto?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Well, it looks like I was wrong and I'm man enough to admit it.

The DQX thing had me reeling, then this comes along and joins in the beatdown.

Epcott

busted.gif

for now, at least

cvxfreak

To be fair, we've yet to see what a console MH can do since all of them were released before the series became really popular on the PSP.

Animal Crossing City Folk seems to be a decent indicator so far of how a post-handheld version of MH may do.

Tenbatsu

cvxfreak said:
To be fair, we've yet to see what a console MH can do since all of them were released before the series became really popular on the PSP.

Animal Crossing City Folk seems to be a decent indicator so far of how a post-handheld version of MH may do.
A console MH is definitely better than a handheld one. I missed my hunting days and Outbreak:(

Top Bottom